Port Vale (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Otis

First half we struggled with their physicality, missed Turner Fleck and JOB.

Second half we were by far the better team, they couldn't keep up the tempo.

Cole was a lot better from 30 min until he went off. Thought Phillips was excellent second half and I'm not a fan of his. Martin was good first half. Bigi better in the second, some excellent passes but not physical enough for that role for me.

Armstrong needs to be dropped. Offers us nothing and is too greedy when he doesn't score for a bit. JOB and Madders have to start next game.
Key point. They pressed and pressed and pressed and did so in numbers, but they couldn't keep it up and we suddenly got more space. Not the only factor, but one of the key ones.

SkyBlue_Bear83

First half we struggled with their physicality, missed Turner Fleck and JOB.

Second half we were by far the better team, they couldn't keep up the tempo.

Cole was a lot better from 30 min until he went off. Thought Phillips was excellent second half and I'm not a fan of his. Martin was good first half. Bigi better in the second, some excellent passes but not physical enough for that role for me.

Armstrong needs to be dropped. Offers us nothing and is too greedy when he doesn't score for a bit. JOB and Madders have to start next game.

Who are you planning on replacing Armstrong?

Our only consistent goal threat throughout the whole season.

Hadji10

Another bang average performance. Won it with a piece of magic from a player who's far too good for this level. Aaron Phillips and Aaron Martin excellent.

Vale fans, muppets. Starting with a load of old people and a load of kids.

Otis

Another bang average performance. Won it with a piece of magic from a player who's far too good for this level. Aaron Phillips and Aaron Martin excellent.

Vale fans, muppets. Starting with a load of old people and a load of kids.
The good thing is we turned it round. Had that been, played well first half, but put in that first half effort in the second half, then it would be so much more worrying.

We made adjustments and found a way to win.

We do need more complete performances though. Won't get away with that every week.

torchomatic

PV fans were causing trouble by the coaches too, weren't they?

First half was rubbish but we were much better in the second. Hopefully Jim O will start on Monday. He'd be the first name on my team sheet.

Otis

PV fans were causing trouble by the coaches too, weren't they?

First half was rubbish but we were much better in the second. Hopefully Jim O will start on Monday. He'd be the first name on my team sheet.
Get the the feeling TM was saving him for Monday. 2 games in 3 days.

stevefloyd

Don't know if any of you heard but apparently they made a mistake on the attendance it was 1000 more so 18700 not 17700 as 1st mentioned...great turn out PUSB

D

Deleted member 2477

Correction 1000 pv fans and 200 idiots who need to grow up

stupot07

That was a much needed 3 points, we were very poor first half, but much improved second. A game were we again really lacked quality in the final third was one with a goal deserving to win any game by Maddison. The lad is absolutely quality. Some poor to averaging performances by the majority of the team, Martin had a blinder and was my MOTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

That was a much needed 3 points, we were very poor first half, but much improved second. A game were we again really lacked quality in the final third was one with a goal deserving to win any game by Maddison. The lad is absolutely quality. Some poor to averaging performances by the majority of the team, Martin had a blinder and was my MOTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Also thought Phillips got better and better as the game went on, after a shaky start and I thought Stokes had a good game too.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Also thought Phillips got better and better as the game went on, after a shaky start and I thought Stokes had a good game too.

Stokes had another great game with little support in front of him. Teams seem to pick up that he has to manage an entire side of the pitch a lot of the time on his own.

Phillips is quite inconsistent. Seemed he was going to be a great player when first coming through, I guess a bit like Haynes, but both seem to have gone off the boil a bit and you never know which one of them is going to turn up! He did get better as the half went on but needs to up his game if he's going to keep his place when the Swede is fit

chiefdave

First 40 mins were like we'd gone back in time to the SP days. Seemed to buck their ideas up just before half time and continued into the second half.

Think the stick for Cole is a bit over the top. He's never going to be winning one on one sprints but he showed some great bits of skill today. Don't think him and Bigi are the answer but surely you can pay Cole without Bigi.

Gigi's biggest problem is his decision making, he plays way too many suicide passes. Cut that out of his game and he'd be a much more useful player for us.

After the start we've had teams are going to try and shut us down. We need to accept we won't roll over teams and sometimes need to grind out a 1-0.

Key point. They pressed and pressed and pressed and did so in numbers, but they couldn't keep it up and we suddenly got more space. Not the only factor, but one of the key ones.

Its a big plus that when they are getting tired we can bring someone like Madders on.

chiefdave

No chance was their 19,000 there

Where are you fitting more than 13K more into the Ricoh? There was only 3 blocks closed in the CT stand. Tesco stand was full. You've got 5K empty in the away end and some spaces in the main stand, and a bit for segregation.

wingy

Stokes had another great game with little support in front of him. Teams seem to pick up that he has to manage an entire side of the pitch a lot of the time on his own.

Phillips is quite inconsistent. Seemed he was going to be a great player when first coming through, I guess a bit like Haynes, but both seem to have gone off the boil a bit and you never know which one of them is going to turn up! He did get better as the half went on but needs to up his game if he's going to keep his place when the Swede is fit
I think the opposition have targeted Stokes more, recently as they recognise this lack of cover.
I like him and he filled in very well last week, yet to me he possibly is struggling a little now as every move down our left seem to result with a cross. JMO
This wasn't happening weeks ago.

wingy

Thought the ref was reasonable today, don't think any of the three appeals were pens and didn't understand our players trying to win them ovrr playing to a conclusion of the attack.
But how on earth did he penalise and then book Jacob Murphy who was in possession of the ball at the time?
Also thought he was weak on their time wasting /slowing down antics.
A game where I would definitely not have passed it back to their Goalie 2nd or 3rd time. :mad:

Nick

Administrator
Where are you fitting more than 13K more into the Ricoh? There was only 3 blocks closed in the CT stand. Tesco stand was full. You've got 5K empty in the away end and some spaces in the main stand, and a bit for segregation.
I was wondering that during the game.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I thought there should have been 3 pens today, 2 to them, handball by Bigi & foul just inside the box far side (tunnel side)at the end by possibly Bigi?

Then murphy should have had one when he broke into the box was past the guy and he went through Murphys back, thought AA was a bit of dive for the one he claimed.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't see the handball, I thought the Murphy one and the one where bigi looked to rugby tackle him look bad

Otis

I thought there should have been 3 pens today, 2 to them, handball by Bigi & foul just inside the box far side (tunnel side)at the end by possibly Bigi?

Then murphy should have had one when he broke into the box was past the guy and he went through Murphys back, thought AA was a bit of dive for the one he claimed.
Cole's looked a pen and both Clive Eakin called it and they were both over that side of the pitch. Clear push in the back on the 6 yard line.

Murphy's looked a pen from where I was sitting, but I wasn't 100% sure.

What was the hand ball by Bigi? The only one I remember was the one that was blasted at him from about 3 yards away. That one? If it was that, that was never ever a pen for me.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Cole's looked a pen and both Clive Eakin called it and they were both over that side of the pitch. Clear push in the back on the 6 yard line.

Murphy's looked a pen from where I was sitting, but I wasn't 100% sure.

What was the hand ball by Bigi? The only one I remember was the one that was blasted at him from about 3 yards away. That one? If it was that, that was never ever a pen for me.

That's the one, arms extended out away from the body, blocked a goal bound effort with a fully stretched arm is a pen for me.

Users who are viewing this thread