Ponticelli (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is the snowball effect of not having enough strikers in the squad and losing McNulty. People shouldn't be getting on the back of the lad, as in reality he should be given time to make the step up to first team football. As it stands he has been immense for the youth level. He shouldn't be expected to be starting this season every game and scoring 20 goals.

Ponticelli is a great prospect and needs time to blend into the first team squad. Either a loan, or some substitute appearances will do him just fine for now.

fatso

This is the snowball effect of not having enough strikers in the squad and losing McNulty. People shouldn't be getting on the back of the lad, as in reality he should be given time to make the step up to first team football. As it stands he has been immense for the youth level. He shouldn't be expected to be starting this season every game and scoring 20 goals.

Ponticelli is a great prospect and needs time to blend into the first team squad. Either a loan, or some substitute appearances will do him just fine for now.
I just hope he's not the next Tommy English.

Hobo

I don't understand how Ponticelli has gone from should be being played....to isn't good enough? The reality is it is fan panic this season and last.

The reality is he is a young player with an opportunity at the moment....to claim a shirt. Nobody knows whether he is good enough or not at the moment?

Allowances have to be made for his inexperience. But what the fans and MR should expect from any young player is for them to go out and apply themselves and try and put into practice what they have been coached.

Hopefully some experience will be added to the strikers, but if we can't we will have to go with what we have got. I still think as a squad we can score across the park. We are also capable of being tight in defence. Survival is our first target in this league this year and then take it from there.

ccfcway

The reality is he is a young player with an opportunity at the moment....to claim a shirt. Nobody knows whether he is good enough or not at the moment.. .

I think we do. He’s not ready to lead the line in league one. He needs a loan in league two or conference to get games in a competitive league

Grendel

I think we do. He’s not ready to lead the line in league one. He needs a loan in league two or conference to get games in a competitive league

No we really don’t

east_midlands_skyblue

Well at least we're not over reacting to a young home grown kid in a pre season .....
It's not intended to be a post bashing the lad, he's very young and no doubt will improve substantially under the right circumstances. I'd always want him to do well, as I would any City player... especially one from the academy. My concern is he might regress under the expectation of playing regularly in League One, we've seen it before after all. He has looked scared... he was up against international defenders in both of the last two games so I can see why he didn't want possession and panicked. It's a huge difference from the U23s. He did appear to give up though, e.g. not closing down spaces, which is not acceptable regardless of a gulf in quality.

TheDube

A lot of people saying they'll judge him when he plays down the middle. Robins clearly doesn't believe he is better down the middle than any of his other choices, otherwise, that's where he'd be being played. George Thomas was the same kind of player, got played out wide but managed to influence the game, he shown effort and passion, something Ponticelli lacks. Agreed that he needs a loan out to get some game time, but where?

Sky Blue Harry H

A lot of people saying they'll judge him when he plays down the middle. Robins clearly doesn't believe he is better down the middle than any of his other choices, otherwise, that's where he'd be being played. George Thomas was the same kind of player, got played out wide but managed to influence the game, he shown effort and passion, something Ponticelli lacks. Agreed that he needs a loan out to get some game time, but where?
Not sure how you can demonstrate where George Thomas has shown passion for City and that JP hasn't. Seem to recall him JP getting very worked up at a Checkatrade trade game at Walsall. Let's not do down our players before they have even got going. (IIRC George Thomas was regularly called something akin to a slow overweight lump on here before he became appreciated right before he left us) About time we learned our lesson. Lay off the players.

SkyBlueCRJ

For those who have a negative view of Ponticelli's progress. I'd like to remind you that we once released Callum Wilson because management believed he wasn't progressing enough due to his injuries, only for him to be re-signed that same summer by Pressley. But look what happened when he was given a chance. Players progress at their own rate, he's doing just fine. If he gets an extended run in a Conference side he will flourish.

Fergusons_Beard

The thing with Callum was that he had pace to burn. Any striker that is rapid will always be useful-just got to wait for the ‘footballing’ bit to catch up.

Ponticelli has shown that he is a ‘fox in the box’ striker (that’s something that you can’t teach) but has little pace and trickery.

So why did (& does) Robins put him out wide? When it’s clear that he isn’t affective there.

It’s another case of a player fitting into a system rather than a player playing in there correct position.

I think there’s defo more to come from Ponti but he does need a loan to establish confidence and his develop his footballing ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SlowerThanPlatt

For those who have a negative view of Ponticelli's progress. I'd like to remind you that we once released Callum Wilson because management believed he wasn't progressing enough due to his injuries, only for him to be re-signed that same summer by Pressley. But look what happened when he was given a chance. Players progress at their own rate, he's doing just fine. If he gets an extended run in a Conference side he will flourish.

Wilson was never released. The story is that it was between him and Shaun Jeffers who was going to be released

skybluegod

Wilson was never released.
It was between him and Jeffers who got a contract. Wilson then took some time deciding because we had only offered him £300 a week, and he had a young baby so had asked for an extra £50 a week but we refused and so he took his time.

Grendel

Are you sure? I'm fairly positive he was released but then signed a new contract later on in the summer once he proved he was fit?

He was never released

scottccfc

im starting to think that ponticelli will go out on loan once we sign chaplin (or another striker), Robins cant let him go on loan with our wafer thin strike force

Grendel

At what level would he be loaned to? Can’t see him getting a regular place in league 2

mark82

At what level would he be loaned to? Can’t see him getting a regular place in league 2

I think he would. Maybe not with one of the challengers but one of the lesser teams. Conference would be ok too, sometimes it's just about getting experience playing men's football.

mark82

I don't think he'll go out on loan personally. Think he'll be kept as backup to 'insert new striker name here'.

better days

Remember with cups we will play well over 50 games this year
It would be ridiculous to loan a lad who's already shown he can score goals in men's football
He'll be part of the group
We don't have a huge number of forwards anyway even before anyone gets injured

capel & collindridge

I just hope he's not the next Tommy English.

Tommy English scored a goal every three or four games throughout his career, including scoring 17* goals for us in 66 games while we we were in the top flight.

The only blip in his record was when he went to Leicester for a couple of years and only scored 3 in 44 games. Anyway, you would think that would be enough to guarantee his status as a minor Sky Blue Great!

*edit I mis-typed 27 goals when I first posted here. Error noted by Fatso.

Last edited:

duffer

FFS. He lived in a trailer, and worked as a TV Detective while his house was being built. Give the bloke break m8.

I've not googled it, but in my memory I've actually got him as a lawyer rather than a P.I.?

Same actor was also in a personal favourite film, Vanishing Point. <Insert own football-related gag here> :)

NorthernWisdom

Wilson was never released.
It was between him and Jeffers who got a contract. Wilson then took some time deciding because we had only offered him £300 a week, and he had a young baby so had asked for an extra £50 a week but we refused and so he took his time.
tbh, if he was only on that kind of salary and that's typical, I wouldn't necessarily begrudge any player heading elsewhere. Not even blaming the club, as every youngster's a risk, but £15k pa ain't exactly a huge salary and isn't exactly going to set you up for life!

fernandopartridge

I think he would. Maybe not with one of the challengers but one of the lesser teams. Conference would be ok too, sometimes it's just about getting experience playing men's football.

Why would he? He couldn't get a regular game in L2 last season. So just because he is now playing for a L1 club it doesn't mean he's automatically a better player. I can see him going on loan possibly to the Conference if he does.

scottccfc

Why would he? He couldn't get a regular game in L2 last season. So just because he is now playing for a L1 club it doesn't mean he's automatically a better player. I can see him going on loan possibly to the Conference if he does.

no but he was playing for a team pushing for promotion last year, he could well of started more games if we were midtable which is why I think he should go out and play for a "lesser" league 2 team

Warwickhunt

he is so good in the box but cannot influence the game outside it though! willing runner after lost causes as well but its not going to help in league 1. Would use him off the bench and get him as a focus for the set pieces after he comes on.

Sky Blue Harry H

Sometimes aPonticelli type needs people to create for him. Bayliss, Sterling, Andreu (perhaps Jones?) I think we will create more for the strikers this year, so Ponti may be a more effective weapon with this sort of supply.

skyblueinBaku

Sometimes aPonticelli type needs people to create for him. Bayliss, Sterling, Andreu (perhaps Jones?) I think we will create more for the strikers this year, so Ponti may be a more effective weapon with this sort of supply.
Only if he's in the box and not stuck out on the wing.

Adge

Alright Adge, been a while. You been refereeing many games over the summer?
It certainly has squire-nearly time for us to get the boxing gloves out again! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Been a bit tied up and not done many games-had an offer to go to Barwell at the weekend for a friendly but was again busy. The copa mundials will be in full swing come the end of August though :emoji_thumbsup:

fatso

Tommy English scored a goal every three or four games throughout his career, including scoring 27 goals for us in 66 games while we we were in the top flight.

The only blip in his record was when he went to Leicester for a couple of years and only scored 3 in 44 games. Anyway, you would think that would be enough to guarantee his status as a minor Sky Blue Great!
He scored 17 goals in 66 games for us, not 27. (According to the web)
And he scored a total of 20 goals in 110 games for us and Leicester before becoming a bit of a journeyman.
I remember him coming through the youth team and reserves, where he scored for fun and looked to have a bright future ahead, In fact some tipped him for future international recognition.

capel & collindridge

He scored 17 goals in 66 games for us, not 27. (According to the web)
And he scored a total of 20 goals in 110 games for us and Leicester before becoming a bit of a journeyman.
I remember him coming through the youth team and reserves, where he scored for fun and looked to have a bright future ahead, In fact some tipped him for future international recognition.
Quite right. It was a typo. 17 goals in 66 games for us. Was a goal every 3.88 games.

Users who are viewing this thread