PONTICELLI (3 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

That 2nd goal yesterday looked class. I didn’t think he was capable of those sort of finishes...looks very confident.
I’ve only seen fleeting appearances of his and he hasn’t done much, which is probably not his fault. What’s his all round play like? Is he a mick Quinn, like someone suggested, or a league 2 Harry Kane?
PS
I also thought Harry Kane was shit when I first saw him play.

Londonccfcfan

Had to read this twice, was saying no no no in my head. I read it again and it’s yes yes yes!

Totally agree.

His inclusion in the side earlier in the season was clear he was just lacking slightly, too raw and game management wasn’t quite there against league clubs but showed his ability to finish in the FA Cup.
MR did the right thing and handled his development perfectly. Took him out the spotlight and continued hype to play him, played him in the u23’s to keep him sharp and confident with goals.

Now the time is right to give him another go, pitches are far better again back to what he’s used to playing on and MR looks to use a 4231 system to accommodate his predatory nature.

It’s still a gamble but he sent out a marker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also he just couldnt hold the ball up. Yesterday albeit just from brief highlights he seemed to keep the ball up fiekd and hold it up well. Also against a very physical Notts side well too.

Thats were he needed to improve and has done.Scoring goals too helps.

Nick

Administrator
I think Ponticelli has always made the runs and got into positions and had the finishing ability but when he was playing before we weren't giving him anything. He was coming on and making runs in behind defenders but nobody would pass to him so it was wasted.

He has the instinct to get a shot off without thinking about it or looking up which is what we need, I don't think he is going to score screamers from 40 yards but if you get the ball to his feet in the box he will get a shot off (like he did in the cup games).

Yesterday when he was on the right he was doing his fair share of defending and getting the ball cleared when we were holding on. The way we play at the minute I don't think as an out and out striker he would be that effective, he seems to do a better job just arriving in the box and picking up the ball and getting a shot away. Even his FA cup goals were the same.

We aren't the sort of team who will put our strikers clean through one on one like you see with Leicester and Vardy, but if we can get him making space for him in the box and square a ball for him to feet and see what he does.

fatso

Well well well, it’s only taken 42 fucking games for the penny to drop!
We could be already promoted if MR could see what some of us have been saying all season.
If ponticelli wasn’t ready before now, then what the fuck made Biamou ready for first team football?
Whatever league we find ourselves in next year, MR needs to understand the following,
1. Burge is horribly inconsistent.
2. Haynes can’t defend.
3. Kelly and Doyle sit too deep.
4. Kelly slows everything down.
5. bayliss is wasted on the wing.
6. Biamou just dosnt score goals.
7. We have no pace.
8. ponticelli is a gifted and natural finisher.

steve82

Also he just couldnt hold the ball up. Yesterday albeit just from brief highlights he seemed to keep the ball up fiekd and hold it up well. Also against a very physical Notts side well too.

Thats were he needed to improve and has done.Scoring goals too helps.

Think he said himself in the interview that he’s still learning the game management aspects which he showed a good bit of maturity late on when the option to go for goal was on or hit the corner for safety and run the clock down.

We’ve all seen games where a striker has gone for the goal and the opposition counter and score.

Ability is there to see, just needs to put it all together in his own development time.

Exciting prospect.

It won’t be long before someone says MR should of played him more ahead of Biamou tho....

Londonccfcfan

Hes managed him perfectly.

When other players are tired after a long hard season, this lad is chomping at the bit. The competition for places up frontt is very exciting and should get that extra % from everyone.

Could this though be the start of a change of tactics?

MR hinted in his interviewd RHS has been an issue all season.

Without jinxing it, (really dont want to mention this)this is easily our longest goal scoring run by probably double through this season.

Last time we drew a blank was Accrington.

So although the defense has let in a few more, we are certainly are scoring a few more. That needs to continue.

steve82

We could be already promoted if MR could see what some of us have been saying all season.
If ponticelli wasn’t ready before now, then what the fuck made Biamou ready for first team football?
Whatever league we find ourselves in next year, MR needs to understand the following,
2. Haynes can’t defend.
7. We have no pace.

Have you MR email address? Sounds a easy fix now you said all that.

steve82

Hes managed him perfectly.

When other players are tired after a long hard season, this lad is chomping at the bit. The competition for places up frontt is very exciting and should get that extra % from everyone.

Could this though be the start of a change of tactics?

MR hinted in his interviewd RHS has been an issue all season.

Without jinxing it, (really dont want to mention this)this is easily our longest goal scoring run by probably double through this season.

Last time we drew a blank was Accrington.

So although the defense has let in a few more, we are certainly are scoring a few more. That needs to continue.

Personally I think this will see a revert back to 4231 to include Ponticelli. Kelly and Doyle back to steady the defence and hopefully Bayliss can exploit the 10 position and be free a bit in a central role. Clearly a clever quick footed player with a eye for goal too.

4231 system favours the side again possibly for the run in

steve82

Was at the strachan foundation in rugby prior to joining the u18’s

Otis

people will see his last two games as evidence that Robins should have played him more.
I think it's proof that Robins has handled him exactly right. He clearly wasn't ready to be playing week in and week out earlier in the season.
Totally agree. The call for him to be played much earlier were premature I feel.

He's not been in the professional game very long and is still raw. Think Robins has handled him just right.

stevefloyd

Is this him now catching that monkey?

What a string to our bow it will be if he can now cement his place in the side so we have two out and out natural goalscorers in the team.

Can't see Robins dropping him now after 3 goals in 2 games for us.
Maybe Ponticelli is our saviour after all and Robins does know what he's doing ;)

stevefloyd

That 2nd goal yesterday looked class. I didn’t think he was capable of those sort of finishes...looks very confident.
I’ve only seen fleeting appearances of his and he hasn’t done much, which is probably not his fault. What’s his all round play like? Is he a mick Quinn, like someone suggested, or a league 2 Harry Kane?
PS
I also thought Harry Kane was shit when I first saw him play.
I still think Harry Kane looks shit but he scores goals

stevefloyd

I think Robins has done an excellent job of managing Ponticelli, he has given him some game time as a taster then grounded him by playing him in the unders, probably told him if he keeps scoring his time will come, as the season gets longer the older defenders are feeling more tired as the games wear on, so keep drip feeding Ponticelli and letting him be involved in the match day squad, he has watched and understood more and more what he is up against in terms of 'quality' and what he needs to do to exploit tiring defenders. His 2 finishes yesterday were instinctive strikes but unlike McNulty, who I think always shoots at the keeper, except when he is aiming at the pigeons, his strikes are angled into the corners...now that is a proper strikers instinct like Serge at Man City, fair play to the lad and now as we are in the final push Ponticelli could just see us over the line ...his confidence must be brimming lets hope he becomes an instant hero...ohh and he's one of our own :)

Otis

2. Haynes can’t defend.
7. We have no pace.

Sorry, but simply do not buy that Biamou/Ponticelli analogy at all.

Biamou clearly played at first team level in the National League, while Ponticelli was only playing academy football and for the U18's at that.

We only signed Ponticelli in 2016 when he was a raw 17 year old talent.

Biamou was rightly ahead in the pecking order and Robins has done the right thing. Ponticelli was far too raw earlier in the season to warrant a place.

Hats off to the manager for bringing him on and introducing him gradually as the season has worn on.

steve82

Sorry, but simply do not buy that Biamou/Ponticelli analogy at all.

Biamou clearly played at first team level in the National League, while Ponticelli was only playing academy football and for the U18's at that.

We only signed Ponticelli in 2016 when he was a raw 17 year old talent.

Biamou was rightly ahead in the pecking order and Robins has done the right thing. Ponticelli was far too raw earlier in the season to warrant a place.

Hats off to the manager for bringing him on and introducing him gradually as the season has worn on.

Totally agree and there different types of strikers with different playing roles. We needed Biamou over the winter months as a outlet.

All our strikers are different to each other which is quite good

ccfclinney

Nuneaton/Bedworth lad that’s why when cov signed him he rejected a lot of other clubs to sign for us. A cov fan also.

ccfchoi87

We'll never know whether Robins has done the right thing by using him so little. If we had started him every game he might have 20+ goals but we'll never know. Let's just hope he keeps scoring

TewkesburySkyBlue

I just think Ponti is one of those priceless natural goalscorers. He could prove to be the key to getting us promoted this year. I’d love us to keep hold of him but in year or two he’s going to be a top striker in the PL imho. Hopefully we’ll be there with him

TewkesburySkyBlue

I just think Ponti is one of those priceless natural goalscorers. He could prove to be the key to getting us promoted this year. I’d love us to keep hold of him but in year or two he’s going to be a top striker in the PL imho. Hopefully we’ll be there with him
The last bit was a bit tongue in cheek but having seen us play in the top division for many a long year I’m not giving up hope

Users who are viewing this thread