PONTICELLI (1 Viewer)

Stan 43

It kind of does. The same as somebody who went to the Yeovil game over the weekend would have a better idea / judgement than I would.

Which lines did McNulty fluff? He finished the cut back from Biamou pretty well.
Agree, mcnulty did well,his goal should have stood,and he went close on other times. I think he will come good.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

McNulty is a good striker and will get better
Agree, mcnulty did well,his goal should have stood,and he went close on other times. I think he will come good.
Ok, how long do we give him bearing in mind he's not a young inexperienced striker like Ponticelli ?

Stan 43

He got a goal at Luton, close on the cup, I say he is picking up.but I would have ponti first choice along mcnulty

Astute

He got a goal at Luton, close on the cup, I say he is picking up.but I would have ponti first choice along mcnulty
I wouldn't be against Ponti playing AM with McNulty and Beavon up front. He isn't scared of shooting or running at defenders. And they could set him up as well as them getting rebounds.

skybluegod

Just found out, that Brackley wanted Ponti on loan at the start of summer, but were told He was going nowhere, and would be playing for us, so clearly shows Robins always intended to play the lad at some point.

dongonzalos

Just found out, that Brackley wanted Ponti on loan at the start of summer, but were told He was going nowhere, and would be playing for us, so clearly shows Robins always intended to play the lad at some point.

I don’t think Robins envisaged that he may have to become the main striker. I would guess that Robins probably saw Ponti mainly playing in the U23’s abd then coming on fir 10-15 minute cameos in the first team.
McNulty, Biamou abd Beavons scoring form has possibly changed that plan.
Fingers crossed Ponti can keep it up.

Colin Steins Smile

I don’t think Robins envisaged that he may have to become the main striker. I would guess that Robins probably saw Ponti mainly playing in the U23’s abd then coming on fir 10-15 minute cameos in the first team.
Agreed, but I hope that fans cut Ponti some slack, if his form dips. As he's a young player who's bound to have a time when things don;t go right or if he's burned out. I remember us sending Gary Gillespie back home to Scotland in March and missing the end of season matches. That was during his first season with us as Gordon Milne looked to the long term....and that was a really brave decision which paid off as Gillespie was awesome for us from the next season.

skybluegod

I didn’t say the main striker? But I don’t think it’s what he is now anyway. But I have been told, that the loan offer was rejected because they thought he would break through in the first part of the season, with the correct nurturing, as proven. Robins wouldn’t have kept him for 5 minute cameos, he would have been much better served at non-league level otherwise, playing men’s football, he was always going to be a key squad player after he had a decent preseason

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Agreed, but I hope that fans cut Ponti some slack, if his form dips. As he's a young player who's bound to have a time when things don;t go right or if he's burned out. I remember us sending Gary Gillespie back home to Scotland in March and missing the end of season matches. That was during his first season with us as Gordon Milne looked to the long term....and that was a really brave decision which paid off as Gillespie was awesome for us from the next season.

agreed hes young, we cant expect him score every game when he plays as long he puts in his shift and hassles defenders aswell like hes done before he shouldnt get any slack, just hope he keeps growing and doing well he deserves it works hard.

Adge

Interestingly I had a conversation recently with Steven Pressley and his time at the club. I think it is well known that his remit was to replicate the Falkirk model at Ccfc where he slashed the wage bill and was told to "develop" the academy into the first team. Remember he gave an example where he gave George Thomas his debut at 16 at Leyton Orient not because George Thomas was a good player or ready at the time, but because there was nobody else.Also the bench that night was also made up of youth team/academy players who are now no longer involved in football. And with that remit is it any surprise we are where we are. Said if he knew what was coming ie/budgets/players/administration/points deduction's/Northampton move etc, that he should in hindsight, have left for Huddersfield who he had spoken too.
The shocking facts about past recruitment at Coventry City

Think this is what I was alluding too at the time.

SlowerThanPlatt

He has now scored 11 goals in 9 U23 games which is a massive improvement on last year’s total of 3 in the U23s. The next step for him would ideally be a loan but Andy Morrell said Robins wouldn’t loan him out, so he just needs to keep being selected in the match day squads and scoring in the 23s when he plays for them.

It’s a good thing McNulty has started finding the net as it puts pressure off him and allows him to develop without being hailed the new messiah from some sections of the support. He’s a good player, an excellent finisher, but like all young players needs to be managed properly.

Skybluefaz

He has now scored 11 goals in 9 U23 games which is a massive improvement on last year’s total of 3 in the U23s. The next step for him would ideally be a loan but Andy Morrell said Robins wouldn’t loan him out, so he just needs to keep being selected in the match day squads and scoring in the 23s when he plays for them.

It’s a good thing McNulty has started finding the net as it puts pressure off him and allows him to develop without being hailed the new messiah from some sections of the support. He’s a good player, an excellent finisher, but like all young players needs to be managed properly.
Beavon scored twice though, so if you put that through the Stuart Beavon goals algorithm JP only actually scored once. Shame.

steve82

Well put, he's obviously a huge talent that's improving and developing at good rate which Mark Robins is managing correctly by talking him back out the limelight and putting him back in the u23's to continue his goals and development while on the fringes of the match day squad.

His time is coming, most likely next season after this year learning.

SkyBlueCRJ

It's crucial we give Ponticelli time and space to develop this season in the U23's when he's clearly doing well - despite his form Robins must be remain cautious when including him into the starting XI.

There's already been plenty of positives about his performances this season. He's broken into the first team, scored his first senior goals and most importantly has shown impeccable attitude in his work ethic on the pitch. If he continues this rate of development I have no doubt he'll hit the ground running next season.

Also, if we hang on to McNulty after the summer transfer window we could end up having the best strike partnership the football league has ever seen ;)

RoboCCFC90

I thought watching Ponticelli play up front with McNulty that they looked as if they could form a decent partnership.

The only thing you lose through playing Ponticelli and McNulty is the physicality that Biamou offers.

For me Ponticelli needs another chance, he didn't do too badly when he played and although he missed one or two JP was getting in those positions, whereas Biamou has struggled in front of goal..

Mucca Mad Boys

I thought watching Ponticelli play up front with McNulty that they looked as if they could form a decent partnership.

The only thing you lose through playing Ponticelli and McNulty is the physicality that Biamou offers.

For me Ponticelli needs another chance, he didn't do too badly when he played and although he missed one or two JP was getting in those positions, whereas Biamou has struggled in front of goal..

Indeed, he does need another chance, but he also has to be patient. He’s still young so if he’s not getting minutes in the first team, he needs to continue smashing in goals in the U23s - credit to him, he’s done exactly that with a hat trick. The worst thing for him is to be sitting on our bench, making cameos here and there, then building a goalless streak.

Nick

Administrator
I'd have put Biamou on the right before we had JMD. Would still give us the outlet up front and he can pick a pass.

Not ideal I know but means we don't lose the aerial attack.

Otis

As I've said before, I do think he will seize his chance, but it may take him a fair while to adjust to first team football.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey.
Is this him now catching that monkey?

What a string to our bow it will be if he can now cement his place in the side so we have two out and out natural goalscorers in the team.

Can't see Robins dropping him now after 3 goals in 2 games for us.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
He is a striker that isn’t going to have tremendous pace and run at goal, he is a box player and thrives off making that yard of space as Mick Quinn, Lineker, et al

He has great potential, needs games and experience but will get better and I actually think he is quite a clinical finisher unlike others

Otis

He is a striker that isn’t going to have tremendous pace and run at goal, he is a box player and thrives off making that yard of space as Mick Quinn, Lineker, et al

He has great potential, needs games and experience but will get better and I actually think he is quite a clinical finisher unlike others
McNulty has got a habit of snatching at shots. Ponticelli seems to have more of a clinical calmness about him at times.

pastythegreat

I remember Mowbray showing Faith in Maddison and his faith being repaid with the goal that kept us up.
Hopefully Robins now shows Faith in Ponticelli and is repaid (like yesterday) with the goals to see us over the line.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Otis

I remember Mowbray showing Faith in Maddison and his faith being repaid with the goal that kept us up.
Hopefully Robins now shows Faith in Ponticelli and is repaid (like yesterday) with the goals to see us over the line.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Every goal needs to be over the line doesn't it?

Unless it is Geoff Hurst of course.

Grendel

He’s got reasonable pace hasn’t he? Again he’s another one who puts defenders under more pressure in the penalty area.

clint van damme

Is this him now catching that monkey?

What a string to our bow it will be if he can now cement his place in the side so we have two out and out natural goalscorers in the team.

Can't see Robins dropping him now after 3 goals in 2 games for us.

people will see his last two games as evidence that Robins should have played him more.
I think it's proof that Robins has handled him exactly right. He clearly wasn't ready to be playing week in and week out earlier in the season.

Londonccfcfan

Take my hat off to the kid.

He is the most naturally gifted FINISHER at the club.

His rate of development as noted and witnessed by others too, shows this lad will have a very bright future with us first and foremost and tyen at higher levels. if he continues his progression.

He has improved no end from beggining of the season and has slowly got better and better.

Remember him coming on against Exeter sway and grabing a deserved equaliser in last minute but hit the crossbar but created that goalscoring himself.

Hes coming good at a time where McNulty seems a littke wastefull.

There is now alot of options up front for Robins which wasnt always the case.

McNulty is still number 1 for me (needs to get back on it). Then its take your pick or rotate horses for courses.

Good to see Biamou/Jp/JCH contribute 7 goals in last 5/6 matches whilst McNulty has gone off the boil.

steve82

people will see his last two games as evidence that Robins should have played him more.
I think it's proof that Robins has handled him exactly right. He clearly wasn't ready to be playing week in and week out earlier in the season.

Had to read this twice, was saying no no no in my head. I read it again and it’s yes yes yes!

Totally agree.

His inclusion in the side earlier in the season was clear he was just lacking slightly, too raw and game management wasn’t quite there against league clubs but showed his ability to finish in the FA Cup.
MR did the right thing and handled his development perfectly. Took him out the spotlight and continued hype to play him, played him in the u23’s to keep him sharp and confident with goals.

Now the time is right to give him another go, pitches are far better again back to what he’s used to playing on and MR looks to use a 4231 system to accommodate his predatory nature.

It’s still a gamble but he sent out a marker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread