Ponti and the like (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Ok a little balance here...

Ponti is 20. He's home grown and played a handful of games, most as a substitute with about 2 mins to go.

He scored lots in the U18 so moved to the 23s whee before he was injured was also relatively prolific.

He may make it, he may not. He's certainly not the messiah and we have other good and at the moment better options, but to write him off at this stage too is frankly deluded. He knows where the goal is and makes intelligent runs. With goalscorers at a premium, then having the sole attribute the experts say you can't teach is worth persuing a little longer I believe.

stevefloyd

We had Steve Livingstone who was prolific in the reserves also Paul Culpin and Paul Furlong who was a very good division 2/championship striker who never really cut it in the prem... all players have a certain level i fear given the lack of first team action Ponti has reached his here

bawtryneal

I am not a goalkeeping coach or expert but have watched Doncaster about 10 times this season

My opinion on Marosi is his shot stopping skills are same as Burge but his distribution skills are much much better

There was an article on here earlier in the week saying Doncaster management had told him not to come for crosses. Will be interesting our stance with our 2 CBs Hyam and Fitz.

itsabuzzard

Well said

Most of our fans are very uneducated about the sport and never seen a game sober

I am always right so if you agree with me you are a good person in general
I suspect you're one and the same person. You need help.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Ponticelli needs to drop a bit of timber before he gets any kind of run out.
Looking at social media seems a few of our players have hired personal trainers for the summer. You would hope that someone at the club has had a word with him and suggested he does the same if they think he needs to lose a few pounds.

Samo

I assume that was aimed at me? Nothing could be further from the truth and I hope your objective enough to consider if that comment says more about you or me.
Can I not say the fans I heard crying out for Doyle were a little misguided given he went straight from CCFC to the basement of the footballing pyramid? Grimmer is constantly referred to as a fans favourite, released as he is not good enough. Ponti also is on that category. Loved because of who he is not what he is.
I agree everyone has an opinion but stats and evidence do sometimes make some observations more credible than others.

Yes it was aimed at you, as you wrote the rather superior OP. Would you like to explain what my response 'says about me'? :rolleyes:

vow

Stockdale is the obvious one, I’d of been more than happy with him, even if there was a fee involved, and his wages would of been high. But you have to invest to get good quality, and as I’ve mentioned in a previous post, a good keeper is a vital player.
Delusional to even consider we ever had a chance of signing Stockdale on a permanent.

20k in wages, I wouldn't want any player in our team at this moment in time on that sort of contract, we need to be self sufficiently run.

TTG

Doyle yes
Pont yes
grimmer no

Covkid1968#

Short version of this thread.

“Stop thinking you know more than the professionals you set of ball bags, I do though.”

All the best.

Best thing about it is bundesliga4life has liked it. Keyboard Pep himself.
Keyboard Pep I’m stealing that one

oucho

That’s two minutes of my life I ain’t getting back...

You won't get any of the other minutes of your life back either, so relax.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We have an obsession with players who run around like headless chickens putting tackles in.

George Thomas was crap for a number of years and then produced one season of magic in the lowest tier. He’s struggled in a very poor Scunthorpe team.

THIS! I had this argument multiple times when people thought Doyle was better than Hughes and Clingan... Doyle has always been an average player who became useless above league 2 when he lost any pace he had (can’t pass) Hughes and Clingan were hammered because they didn’t run around a lot. Same with Leon Best and Stern John. Both good players

George Thomas for me flattered to deceive - he was our top scorer in our relegation year with 9 goals. Whatever we made from Leicester was robbery in my eyes. He’s a try hard - nothing more nothing less... he did give us that goal at Wembley though

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Ok a little balance here...

Ponti is 20. He's home grown and played a handful of games, most as a substitute with about 2 mins to go.

He scored lots in the U18 so moved to the 23s whee before he was injured was also relatively prolific.

He may make it, he may not. He's certainly not the messiah and we have other good and at the moment better options, but to write him off at this stage too is frankly deluded. He knows where the goal is and makes intelligent runs. With goalscorers at a premium, then having the sole attribute the experts say you can't teach is worth persuing a little longer I believe.
To be fair Craig Read had a similar record and he went nowhere

Ricketts

I know part of football that makes it the game we love is that we are all entitled to our views. However, I think it's fair to say that some people know next to nothing about the physical attributes and skills required to be a high level professional footballer. Ponti is an example of this. There are many fans who rate him and want to give him an extended run in the team. I know he had a couple of injury concerns but he was not starting even when fit for the football league's lowest club at the time. I know he is local but he will never be a player of note for where CCFC are now or want to be.
Back to my wider point about our fan base rating poor players. Jack Grimmer is another.....a totally inept crosser of the ball and not great in the air, not quick and beaten for skill easily. He was fine as an under stugy to sterling but some fans felt he should have been first choice and retained. Doyle is another. This season L1 exposed him and while he was a good loyal servant. My point is that again a sizeable minority of fans were aghast he was dropped and I hope embarrassed as the player they rated as a starter in a league 1 play off chasing team was snapped up by one of the worst 2 football league clubs in England.

I am not getring at people and while i think we have some very knowladgeable fans many seem to be watching a different game to me. Anyway glad to see Robins with his signing and sales seems know what a decent player looks like (agogo aside).

My brother is on here and never told me his user name. This sounds like the sort of shit he would spout.

Been on here over 5 years, 60 likes.

Hi, bro.

fernandopartridge

We have an obsession with players who run around like headless chickens putting tackles in.

George Thomas was crap for a number of years and then produced one season of magic in the lowest tier. He’s struggled in a very poor Scunthorpe team.

Ponti has shown nothing in the first team-so far and his progress is running parallel to Thomas’ before his one season in the fourth division .

I am very much hoping Ponti will show his goal scoring ability in the first team but he has looked like a fish out of water in his limited opportunities.

Grimmer-fair play for his good promotion season but like Chris Stokes he is found out at a higher level.

Lincoln City at home was just one game where his naivety cost us-just not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What bollocks about Thomas. He only made his debut the season before the Wembley goal and barely played. He is a decent player who was written off straight away by the usual idiots, he improved and got his goal at Wembley. He's probably not Leicester level but he certainly wasn't 'crap for a number of years'.

Fergusons_Beard

What bollocks about Thomas. He only made his debut the season before the Wembley goal and barely played. He is a decent player who was written off straight away by the usual idiots, he improved and got his goal at Wembley. He's probably not Leicester level but he certainly wasn't 'crap for a number of years'.

Just trying to draw parallels with a Ponti FP.

GT had one break out year but definitely before that is wasn’t very good-he was a learning footballer & subsequent managers didn’t know his best position.

Like Ponti GT is too small to be a target man, too slow to be a winger & needed to build up his football nouse to play number 10.

Hoping Ponti will come good but like GT in the games prior to our relegation year he was a fish out of water.

SBAndy

GT had one break out year but definitely before that is wasn’t very good-he was a learning footballer & subsequent managers didn’t know his best position.

Like Ponti GT is too small to be a target man, too slow to be a winger & needed to build up his football nouse to play number 10.

Hoping Ponti will come good but like GT in the games prior to our relegation year he was a fish out of water.

And yet a player like George Thomas is exactly what we need with the formation we play. A wide forward rather than a winger. I’m not advocating the re-signing of him (though wouldn’t be too disheartened) but that style of player would fit in well with our style of play.

Reactions: vow

Fergusons_Beard

Definitely agree with that Andy.

He certainly would fit our current formation.

So would Reuben Lameiras (in the Bright Number 10 role).

fernandopartridge

GT looked miles ahead of Ponti in his fleeting appearances imo

Magwitch

Ponticelli has a bit to go yet to prove he can do it at our level, out injured for a good while last season, so he has to hit the ground running to show us he is good enough imo. Pro-football is a harsh business.

Si80

And yet a player like George Thomas is exactly what we need with the formation we play. A wide forward rather than a winger. I’m not advocating the re-signing of him (though wouldn’t be too disheartened) but that style of player would fit in well with our style of play.
He didn't exactly rip it up at Scunthorpe this year. 3 goals in 30 games.
I liked GT, he put a shift in for us week in week out and the goal at Wembley will always be a cherished memory. But he's not the player to take us forwards and neither is Ponticelli from viewing him on the limited game time he's been given in the last couple of years.

Magwitch

What it proves to me is these players such as George Thomas need to play first team football as soon as possible at a level that suits and build their game up but how can you blame him for plumping to go to a Premiership club and enjoying the higher wage he’s bound to get there could set him up for life.

skyblue1991

Unfortunately a portion of our fans think if they are local to Coventry or reply to Social Media messages then they deserve to be in the team. Haynes, The Edge and Pont are all examples of this.

I couldn't give a fuck where you are from or if you Tweet, I only want players that are good enough to get into a promotion challenging L1 team.

luwalla

Doyle is another. This season L1 exposed him and while he was a good loyal servant. My point is that again a sizeable minority of fans were aghast he was dropped and I hope embarrassed as the player they rated as a starter in a league 1 play off chasing team was snapped up by one of the worst 2 football league clubs in England.

to be fair I think doylers last swan song was written in the stars for us... he gave something extra because of his tie with the club & honestly think he got an extra level of performance in league 2 from the fans here. In short we were good for each other... and that was hard to let go of for all involved once we stepped up... the fans, the player & even the manager

Last edited:

luwalla

We have an obsession with players who run around like headless chickens putting tackles in

that analogy was used against players like Richard Keogh - who went on to be an absolute stalwart of the championship for years after he left us. he wasn't the only one who fell into this category either. I think sometimes we just had the right players at the wrong time...

Sick Boy

Very inciteful comment considering you only posted it AFTER we signed 2 keepers!
What you going to do next? Wait till tomorrow to put today’s lottery numbers on!
Muppet.

There was never any chance of Stockdale coming here. It’s depressing there are some on here complaining about signing a top 6 keeper. As I said, anyone thinking we ever had a chance of signing Stockdale is clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread