Pompey Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Astute

And to add to that if we look at present form from 5 games to 6 it looks even better. We have better form than all clubs other than 3.

Look at Stevenage and Crawley. They have 5 and 3 points from their last 6 games. We have 13. So we have caught up Crawley by 10 points in the last 6 games.......massive :eek:

Not saying it will be easy, but we are one of the form teams now. If we keep it up them 10 points will soon go.

Otis

But Stevenage and Crawley have been replaced by other teams who were just behind them. Doesn't matter who it is. The gap is still 10 points. It was 10 points and still is 10 points. Doesn't matter which teams they are if someone is immediately replacing them and retaining the same gap in points.

Would reckon that even if we win all 5 of our next matches we still won't be that close. We might just get within 6 or 7.

Otis

Otis, if there had been no changes in personnel or management I would have to agree with you.

Looking at the league table for end of September at the time Robins joined us. You say 10 points is massive. After 8 games we had 3 points. W e were 7 points off 15th which is where we are now. We were in 23rd :( We were 14 points off 2nd and 17 points off 1st......after only 8 games. We were still looking poor at that time of course. No confidence at all.

Shall we move on to the end of last month? We had moved up to 21st. 19 points off first, 18 points off 2nd. 3rd and 4th place were 17 points ahead of us. 13 points away from the playoffs.

We are now 15 points off 1st, 12 points away from 2nd. We are 10 points away from the playoffs.

So this month after only 5 games we are 4 points closer to 1st, 6 points closer to 2nd and 3 points closer to the playoffs. If only we never let in that late goal against Pompey. This was after 3 wins, 1 draw and a defeat. Not your 3 wins and 2 draws.

We are now hitting form and playing much better. Teams at the top are having bad runs. A few teams are falling down the table. There are presently 4 teams with better recent form than us. Even Sheff Utd have only got 5 points in the last 5 games. We have 10.

Are we hitting form though? Last 2 league games at home, lost and drawn. That's not hitting form. We are away from home but we need to hit form at home too.

Astute

The gap was more than 10 points. It is now 10 points.

Otis

Otis, if there had been no changes in personnel or management I would have to agree with you.

Looking at the league table for end of September at the time Robins joined us. You say 10 points is massive. After 8 games we had 3 points. W e were 7 points off 15th which is where we are now. We were in 23rd :( We were 14 points off 2nd and 17 points off 1st......after only 8 games. We were still looking poor at that time of course. No confidence at all.

Shall we move on to the end of last month? We had moved up to 21st. 19 points off first, 18 points off 2nd. 3rd and 4th place were 17 points ahead of us. 13 points away from the playoffs.

We are now 15 points off 1st, 12 points away from 2nd. We are 10 points away from the playoffs.

So this month after only 5 games we are 4 points closer to 1st, 6 points closer to 2nd and 3 points closer to the playoffs. If only we never let in that late goal against Pompey. This was after 3 wins, 1 draw and a defeat. Not your 3 wins and 2 draws.

We are now hitting form and playing much better. Teams at the top are having bad runs. A few teams are falling down the table. There are presently 4 teams with better recent form than us. Even Sheff Utd have only got 5 points in the last 5 games. We have 10.

But you can dress up stats as you like Astute, after the Bournemouth game, 9 games ago, we were 10 points adrift.

After the 2 wins against Orient and Crawley, 4 games ago, we were 10 points adrift.

After the 2 wins against Hartlepool and Colchester and draw against Pompey, we are 10 points adrift.

Have obviously highlighted these sequences because those are where we have had little winning or unbeaten runs. Think that is key.

Otis

The gap was more than 10 points. It is now 10 points.

As I said above, 9 games ago we were 10 points adrift. So, 9 games on, very decent run of form, still 10 points adrift.

Sorry, but that is my mistake. Just checked again and 9 games ago after beating Bournemouth we were 9 points adrift.

So 9 games on we are 1 further point behind.

We have had 9 further games, a good run of form and have dropped 1 point further behind the top 6.

Last edited:

Astute

Are we hitting form though? Last 2 league games at home, lost and drawn. That's not hitting form. We are away from home but we need to hit form at home too.

Agree with you fully here. If we had average home form over the season we would be top 6 now. A long time problem of ours seems we can only get results either at home or away and not both.

Astute

As I said above, 9 games ago we were 10 points adrift. So, 9 games on, very decent run of form, still 10 points adrift.

6 games ago we were 13 points away.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agree with you fully here. If we had average home form over the season we would be top 6 now. A long time problem of ours seems we can only get results either at home or away and not both.

If we had kept even half the points we have thrown away we'd be in the playoffs.

Black6Osprey

If the season was longer and we played each other 4 times then maybe would catch them. We are catching up at a rate of a few points every 10 games so its a huge task to catch up and we've got some very difficult games in December. In the last 10 games we have picked up 17 pts, Tranmere 15pts, Mk Dons 18 pts, Doncaster 22 pts, Sheff Utd 18 pts, Brentford 21 pts, Notts C 16 pts. So we have caught up 1 point on the team in 6th and narrowed the gap to the team at the top who are 15 pts ahead and our form over this period has been good W5 D2 L3. Its not impossible but we are miles away at the moment. It may sound like a few points but in reality its not.

Otis

And that's it in a nutshell, Brighton. Whichever way you dress up the stats (me included), the bottom line is that no-one can say we are a good side.

We simply haven't put in anything like any 90 minute performances in 20 games, constantly blow hot and cold, have a terrible home record and have lost 21 points from winning positions.

That is anything but a top 6 side. Let's just give Robins time to get that right.

For me next season is the key one. The season where Robins has all his own players at his disposal and a fresh start, rather than taking the reins with us in dire straits and in a relegation battle.

Brighton Sky Blue

We can all see there has been a general improvement, and we all really want the team to do well (I think). Thing is that it takes longer than a few months for a manager to really make his mark-and by this I mean creating a team that doesn't drop 20 points over a whole season, let alone half way through.

Astute

If the season was longer and we played each other 4 times then maybe would catch them. We are catching up at a rate of a few points every 10 games so its a huge task to catch up and we've got some very difficult games in December. In the last 10 games we have picked up 17 pts, Tranmere 15pts, Mk Dons 18 pts, Doncaster 22 pts, Sheff Utd 18 pts, Brentford 21 pts, Notts C 16 pts. So we have caught up 1 point on the team in 6th and narrowed the gap to the team at the top who are 15 pts ahead and our form over this period has been good W5 D2 L3. Its not impossible but we are miles away at the moment. It may sound like a few points but in reality its not.

Lets try a more recent run of games. Last 6 is used the most.

Us 13 points
Tranmere 9
MK Dons 16
Doncaster 12
Sheff Utd 8
Brentford 14
Notts C 9
Stevenage 5
Swindon 10
Crawley 3

So we have been catching up with 7 out of the top 9 sides.

Otis

We can all see there has been a general improvement, and we all really want the team to do well (I think). Thing is that it takes longer than a few months for a manager to really make his mark-and by this I mean creating a team that doesn't drop 20 points over a whole season, let alone half way through.

As I say, we can all list stats, but I do think these ones below at least give some indication of what would be needed.

Top six last season.

Charlton won 30 games

Sheff Weds won 28 games

Sheff U won 27 games

Huddersfield won 21 games

MK won 22 games

Stevenage won 18 games.

The most games anyone lost was 10.

We have only won 6 games and have already lost 8.

Just think we need to look at what would really be needed to make the top 6. Last 15 years it has always been over 70 points needed to get in the play-off positions.

We still need an absolute minimum of 46 points to be even in with a sniff. 26 games, 46 points.

10 wins and 16 draws, no losses?

12 wins, 10 draws, just 4 losses?

13 wins, 7 draws, 6 losses?

That would be just to get us to 70. More than likely we will need 73-75 points in reality.

As you can see it is just such a massive, massive ask. :(

Otis

Lets try a more recent run of games. Last 6 is used the most.

Us 13 points
Tranmere 9
MK Dons 16
Doncaster 12
Sheff Utd 8
Brentford 14
Notts C 9
Stevenage 5
Swindon 10
Crawley 3

So we have been catching up with 7 out of the top 9 sides.

But are still 10 points behind.

This debate could run and run! :D

wingy

Worth remembering that each of the top six we play will be six pointers.
So will compound the effect either way.

SkyBlue_Bear83

As I say, we can all list stats, but I do think these ones below at least give some indication of what would be needed.

Top six last season.

Charlton won 30 games

Sheff Weds won 28 games

Sheff U won 27 games

MK won 22 games

Stevenage won 18 games.

Just think we need to look at what would really be needed to make the top 6. Last 15 years it has always been over 70 points needed to get in the play-off positions.

We still need an absolute minimum of 46 points to be even in with a sniff. 26 games, 46 points.

That would be just to get us to 70. More than likely we will need 73-75 points in reality.

I agree unfortunately everytime we look like stringing together 4/5 wins in a row we falter. I still think 14th is a little negative

From the last 26 games I can see 40 odd points or so. Get to around 65 points and finish in around 10th place
12 wins 5 draws 9 losses

Astute

Doncaster are only 2 goals off second place and are in 3rd. They have lost a whole 3 games less than us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Worth remembering that each of the top six we play will be six pointers.
So will compound the effect either way.
If we can come thorugh Doncaster, MK Dons, Preston and Stevnage matches in December with a good amount of points it could be on again. If we could do that then many people would start to believe it I reckon

Astute

MK Dons are in great form. They have showed what happens when a team puts a run together. Would take a point from that game right now.

Brighton Sky Blue

Top six last season.

Charlton won 30 games

Sheff Weds won 28 games

Sheff U won 27 games

MK won 22 games

Stevenage won 18 games.

Then there's also the small matter of the play-offs themselves!

dongonzalos

I think we were good first half and surrendered the game in the second. Why? Mentally not quite with it I feel. Do think Cody has to have a role from the bench more often when we are searching for that extra goal. McGoldrick scoring only 1 in 4 now and that from the spot suggest we must keep Cody fresh with the lads out there.
Overall though we can't complain - it all went a bit tits up after the bizare referee's decisions over that free kick. We should have been out of sight long before all that. But we were at home and that is a place we are struggling to come to terms with - unlike away from home. Walsall next who are dropping like a stone. 3 points and we are back in the hunt for the playoffs. Just wish these cup games would go away!

I think we surrendered it in the second half until Barton came on.

We looked more likely to get a second than they looked liked equalizing. Then they got that bloody last second goal. We were 30 seconds away from 7 wins out of 12 games. How frustrating.

I think Barton needs to be in the team. He is class, but I don't know how to fit him in!

dongonzalos

Top six last season.

Charlton won 30 games

Sheff Weds won 28 games

Sheff U won 27 games

MK won 22 games

Stevenage won 18 games.

I appreciate you say we have only won six all season.

However don't forget those 6 wins have come in our last 12 games. since the whole manger sacking circus calmed down. Hopefully this means the last 12 games are a true reflection of where we are as a squad, as oppose to the other 8 games.

If that is the case we picked up 21 points in our last 12 games.

Personaly I think that should be 23 as overall we dominated that game and it was 30 seconds from 7th win.

You say we need 46 points from 26 games.

Then I agree it will be hard. However we are pretty much on that form at the moment so it is doable.

Also I genuinely believe we have a far stronger squad than other league one teams. To not have Fleck, Barton, Cameron, Cody in the first 11 shows our strength.

The Yeovil we will play second time around for example in my opinion will be weaker due to injuries and suspensions they have a tiny squad.

Otis

MK Dons are in great form. They have showed what happens when a team puts a run together. Would take a point from that game right now.

Picked the wrong team there my friend. ;)

After 5 games they were 10th.

After 7 games they were 7th.

After 10 games they were 5th.

After 12 games they were 7th.

After 15 games they were 8th.

After 17 games they were 7th

After 20 games they are 2nd.

Been in the top 10 all season!

That shows consistency and that they are a good side.

wingy

Bournemouth would be a good team to measure ourselves against ,that is the level/surge in form required to make up ground rather than maintain the gap.

Astute

Seen last 6 game form. Won 5 drawn 1. Have gone from 8th to 2nd and only 3 points off the top place. Pretty decent recent form to me. Spent most of the season just out of top 6. Not looking forward to that game.

Otis

They have been consistently in the top 10 though and that always keeps you within touching distance of the top 6 places.

Wingy is right, Bournemouth are a much better comparison if you are looking for a surge in form.

Last defeat 10 games ago!

Now if we could do something like that!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry, forgot .... we are Coventry City.:whistle:

covcity4life

Let's beat Walsall and things look prettier again

December has some very hard fixtures those, I'd take 2 wubs1draw and a loss out of the 4 after Walsall...shed have us top 12 by jan

Users who are viewing this thread