Pompey Match Thread (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

We went thru last minute heartbreak last year

The players do not learn

covcity4life

Murphy cost us too...that back pass bus led to the 5 mins...we still not mentally strong...hopefully robins with sort that out

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I wish someone would have a go at Murphy (one of the players I mean) when he cocks up like he does when an outfield player messes up. At one point in the first half he got right up the Edge's face having a go! And as for picking up the back pass, it was almost like he had 1-1 on at the bookies and he wanted them to score. Bizarre bizarre decision by him

Astute

Bad result today, but not a bad day considering. Only 4 of the top 12 clubs won today. It is days like today we need to win though to climb up the table more quickly.

Black6Osprey

Overall a decent performance. Body blow to lose so late but Wood and Edge are always liable make errors as they aren't that good. Unlucky we didn't have a couple more goals and on another day we would have had 3 pts. We are making steady progress and I'm relatively happy despite the late error.

rocksocks

Gutted to concede so late but personally I'll take 7 points from 3 games, Robins also mentioned how we're regularly scoring now which is a fair point considering some of our results earlier in the season and this time last year. You've got to be happy with this progress!

Paxman II

I think we were good first half and surrendered the game in the second. Why? Mentally not quite with it I feel. Do think Cody has to have a role from the bench more often when we are searching for that extra goal. McGoldrick scoring only 1 in 4 now and that from the spot suggest we must keep Cody fresh with the lads out there.
Overall though we can't complain - it all went a bit tits up after the bizare referee's decisions over that free kick. We should have been out of sight long before all that. But we were at home and that is a place we are struggling to come to terms with - unlike away from home. Walsall next who are dropping like a stone. 3 points and we are back in the hunt for the playoffs. Just wish these cup games would go away!

Otis

Back in the hunt?

2 wins out of 3 games, no defeats and yet we are still 10 points adrift of the play-off places.

As I said a couple of days ago, 10 points is massive and would take a long long time to make up if we had the ability to actually do it.

As Clive Eakin said today, it needs automatic promotion form for us to achieve this. 2 wins in 10 home games and 21 points lost from winning positions seems a million miles off automatic promotion form doesn't it.

Would love to be proved wrong and for City to achieve it because it would be truly sensational outcome.

Grendel

I think we were good first half and surrendered the game in the second. Why? Mentally not quite with it I feel. Do think Cody has to have a role from the bench more often when we are searching for that extra goal. McGoldrick scoring only 1 in 4 now and that from the spot suggest we must keep Cody fresh with the lads out there.
Overall though we can't complain - it all went a bit tits up after the bizare referee's decisions over that free kick. We should have been out of sight long before all that. But we were at home and that is a place we are struggling to come to terms with - unlike away from home. Walsall next who are dropping like a stone. 3 points and we are back in the hunt for the playoffs. Just wish these cup games would go away!

Back in the hunt? We are in the next field at the minute -- miles away. If we have to rely on the useless McDonald for goals then we really are finished.

I expect a whole new strike force in January if we can find someone dumb enough to take McDonald on.

Grendel

According to BBC Sport we had 6 shots, 2 on target. I was there and didnt count but can that possibly be right?

No its rubbish the keeper made at least 3 saves and there was a goal line clearance.

Baginton

gutted, sucker punch, feel we sat too deep second half, christie stopped his runs forward, sheff off for barton

i think we should have brought mcdonald on instead of trying to go defencive

great display today, great improvement, a lot to be happy about, adams is a fantastic signing, christie was on fire too,
another point on the board,

SkyblueBazza

Relax a little folks. Our home form is poor still - but 10 games ago we may well have settled for a point at home to the then performing Pompey...& their run had to end sooner or later. That being said the manner we drop points in the last 5-10 mins is annoying ("job done" attitude?)

Mucca Mad Boys

Relax a little folks. Our home form is poor still - but 10 games ago we may well have settled for a point at home to the then performing Pompey...& their run had to end sooner or later. That being said the manner we drop points in the last 5-10 mins is annoying ("job done" attitude?)

I see what you're saying, but, there not performing now and we are, 3 points were there for the taking! Disappointed but we need 3 points v Walsall though

Paxman II

We had every reason to expect that gap is closing. Today others dropped points again. We may not have moved today but we will next win. Had we won the same thing but aplies had we got 26 points the next game would have seen us on 29 and etting closer. Look it only takes a decent string of games to do it. We have already done that to some extent. I see us continuing our run and those above will keep on going backwards. Yes a 10 point gap is hard to close but it's not just about us winning but the others losing and at the moment plenty of those above us are doing that every week. 3 points for a win and we are not even at Xmas yet?
We will push into the top 6 or be very close to it in the new year. I said it consistently and I will stick to it. 14th Otis looks a tad negative to me. I don't know what some of you have seen in this league that has you all so frightened? I've been lambasted for saying McSheffrey is quality and needs time in the side and he will do good for us...today you can't argue with that. The shape of the side is very different from 4 weeks ago. MR's is no AT, no AB or CC. This man knows what he is doing. So far I can't find barely anything to disagree with what he says and what he does. Come January he will change a few and only make us stronger.

Otis

Nothing frightens me, but at the same time, pre-season I said we would find this a very tough league. 2 wins in 10 home games kind of proves that point doesn't it?

Nothing frightens me, but at the same time no-one can argue that it hasn't been a tough league so far. We are still closer to the bottom than the top.

And said before, for me DMC and Bailey are the 2 best players we've got. Don't see how us potentially losing both of them in January is going to only make us stronger. Hopefully we will keep them both, but there is nothing to suggest that, that will be the case.

And people keep saying my 14th is negative, but we are now 20 games in. Very nearly half way. And we are 15th!

I simply agree with Mark Robins, who has said much is still wrong, there's going to be blips and it's going to take time. That is at odds with us pretty much having to achieve all but automatic promotion form for the rest of the season.

Last season the top 6 clubs lost the following amount of games:

Well, we have already lost 8 so far. That just tells you the absolutely enormous size of the task to make the top 6.

Total faith in MR and totally agree with him that it will take time to get things right.

Last edited:

Paxman II

I can see your line of thinking O but it's the glass half empty chain of thought instead of half full.
Just take one of your points....

20 games half way nearly? OK so at 40 we would be complete? using that theory you are throwing away and discounting 6 more games which is 18 potential points?
Lots to play for O and those below us are poor sides less likely to improve being joined by more sides sliding down the league. That means pick up points your opponents does not and you will rise up the league as they fall.

Perhaps I just study things with more optimism than you and see what can be acheived based on this season and not stats from last season.
I don't buy into it being a tough league at all. I just think we have been awful up to now.

Wish people would stop assuming McGoldrick must stay or we are sunk. Confidence is important and it takes a team effort. I take the view if we lose him in January we will replace him within or with someone else. We would not be losing Van Persie. He failed on a couple of chances today that he had previously been scoring from. He will have a dip in form. His contribution though is still good so we shall see. I'm just saying no one man is going to decide our destiny. MR's has more chance of affecting that. It's an interesting time O but we will finish well above your placing.

Otis

We have struggled to find a top goalscorer for many, many years. They are like gold dust.

If DMC goes it is going to be very hard to replace him. Also, have to say, because he is such a good player at this level he creates space for others with his intelligence and runs and touch.

I'm pretty convinced that we scored 5 and 3 in our last two away matches because of the threat of David McGoldrick and opposition teams focusing on stopping him

I hope we finish above my prediction. To be honest I predicted that when AT was in charge and it is common knowledge that I didn't rate him at all as a manager.

Would say Robins would do so much better, but it's just that we had such an awful start to the season it has left us badly fire damaged. Going to take one hell of an effort to turn that round.

Stuck with 14th because of what has gone on before and MR having to come in to clean up all the mess.

psgm1

Banned
Cov have gained 10 points home, 14 points away in first 20 games.

At that rate cov would get 13 home and 18 away

TOTAL 55 points

Orient survived on 50 points so would end up ( all things equal) 14th=15th

IF DM leaves - cannot count on his goals:

cov would now be on 11 points! therefore cov would finish on around 38 points

Highest points of team relegated from league in 11/12 - 43 points!

Cov don't sign McGoldrick - cov ARE relegated

tanchahal

If you look at just Robins' results, before the pompey game we were projected 77 points now it's 73, had we won it would have been 80 points so it's always changing so you can't use comparisons like that.

Macca

Nothing frightens me, but at the same time, pre-season I said we would find this a very tough league. 2 wins in 10 home games kind of proves that point doesn't it?

Nothing frightens me, but at the same time no-one can argue that it hasn't been a tough league so far. We are still closer to the bottom than the top.

And said before, for me DMC and Bailey are the 2 best players we've got. Don't see how us potentially losing both of them in January is going to only make us stronger. Hopefully we will keep them both, but there is nothing to suggest that, that will be the case.

And people keep saying my 14th is negative, but we are now 20 games in. Very nearly half way. And we are 15th!

I simply agree with Mark Robins, who has said much is still wrong, there's going to be blips and it's going to take time. That is at odds with us pretty much having to achieve all but automatic promotion form for the rest of the season.

Well, we have already lost 8 so far. That just tells you the absolutely enormous size of the task to make the top 6.

Total faith in MR and totally agree with him that it will take time to get things right.

I would trust Robins opinion of what the rest of the season might bring rather than people on here so like you my expectations remain sensible

Otis

Thanks Macca.

If Robins had said when he came that we were promotion material and that he believed we could make the top 6 I probably would have believed him .... but he didn't did he.

He pretty much said the club was in a mess, that there were many things wrong and that it was going to take some time to sort out. Robins has been very sensible about the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure that if we got within 3 points of the top 6 he would be saying we were in with a chance ... but we're not are we. We are 10 points outside the top 6.

After the sequence where we beat Oldham, then drew against MK and beat Bournemouth at home we were 9 points adrift of 6th place.

After the sequence where we then beat Orient away and then Crawley at home we were 10 points adrift of 6th place.

We have then just had the sequence of beating Hartlepool and Colchester and drawing against Pompey ( a return of 7 points out of 9, which is brilliant) and are still 10 points adrift of 6th place.

10 points is massive. It's not just us needing 3 wins and 2 draws, it's in combination with teams above getting zero points. And like I say to make up is going to take a long time.

Pax says close in the new year. Well there are only 5 league games to go til Jan. Walsall at home, Donny away, Preston at home and Stevenage and MK Dons away. One of those teams is top 2, One is 4th, one is 7th and one is 11th.

Means we would need to win 3 out of 5 pretty much to even think of being close by January. Teams above aren't just going to start dropping points and if they do there are other clubs ready to take their place. 7th place Stevenage outside the play-off places are 10 points ahead of us and 8th place Swindon, 8 points ahead of us.

Feet on the ground for me. When Robins starts talking about a play-off challenge I'll sit up and start listening.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

Two things on all this...
1. Robins is almost certainly going keep expectation in check publicly. He knows (as we all do) that the squad needs to improve. Otherwise people end up doing the ridiculous booing of the team.
2. DM IS replaceable. Robins will be looking around & prioritising his options like all Mgrs at this stage, & our strong run of late is important as it makes good players at least consider wanting to be part of the plan.

SkyblueBazza

So having already lost 3 even Tranmere must be bricking themselves. Not convinced by your comparison.
Simple thing is that we need to continue at the 7 from 9 rate to be in with a shout & our home results still need to improve.

Astute

Otis, if there had been no changes in personnel or management I would have to agree with you.

Looking at the league table for end of September at the time Robins joined us. You say 10 points is massive. After 8 games we had 3 points. W e were 7 points off 15th which is where we are now. We were in 23rd :( We were 14 points off 2nd and 17 points off 1st......after only 8 games. We were still looking poor at that time of course. No confidence at all.

Shall we move on to the end of last month? We had moved up to 21st. 19 points off first, 18 points off 2nd. 3rd and 4th place were 17 points ahead of us. 13 points away from the playoffs.

We are now 15 points off 1st, 12 points away from 2nd. We are 10 points away from the playoffs.

So this month after only 5 games we are 4 points closer to 1st, 6 points closer to 2nd and 3 points closer to the playoffs. If only we never let in that late goal against Pompey. This was after 3 wins, 1 draw and a defeat. Not your 3 wins and 2 draws.

We are now hitting form and playing much better. Teams at the top are having bad runs. A few teams are falling down the table. There are presently 4 teams with better recent form than us. Even Sheff Utd have only got 5 points in the last 5 games. We have 10.

Users who are viewing this thread