Points Needed For A Top 6 Finish Over The Last 8 Years (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueM

Having the points already in the bag is good and later in the season we should have less midweek games as other teams catch up fixtures, so we are fresher when we play. Nice to see we bounce back really quickly after a poor result - bodes well for the run in.

Last edited:

johnwillomagic

I think Backroom is getting a little bit carried away - top 2 have quite a nice cushion, we would almost need not to drop any points to get there imo.

I think play-offs will be tight but we can get there, has anyone got our recored under Robins for league games only excluding cup matches, this will give me an indication of if two points average a game is achievable. This will put us on 77 points which should be enough any less and it is questionable. Looking round many teams have a few games in hand so we are in a slightly false postion of 7th at the moment. Realistically we are more like 10th/11th I think when all teams round us catch up in games.

We can do it but it will be tough.....due to the disasterous start!!

stupot07

Played 22 won 12 drew 4 lost 6 pts 40 pts per game 1.81

Very impressive and would amount to 83.6 points over a 46 game season.

shmmeee

I think Backroom is getting a little bit carried away - top 2 have quite a nice cushion, we would almost need not to drop any points to get there imo.

I think play-offs will be tight but we can get there, has anyone got our recored under Robins for league games only excluding cup matches, this will give me an indication of if two points average a game is achievable. This will put us on 77 points which should be enough any less and it is questionable. Looking round many teams have a few games in hand so we are in a slightly false postion of 7th at the moment. Realistically we are more like 10th/11th I think when all teams round us catch up in games.

We can do it but it will be tough.....due to the disasterous start!!

We've averaged 1.818181 recurring points since Robins took over keep it up and we'll finish on a hair under 74 points.

Edit: beaten like a red headed stepchild.

johnwillomagic

Cheers Stu I agree it is very impressive shows we are virtually on course.

However keeping this average up for the remainder of the season is critical for play offs and we have some tough games in the last 19, cannot afford many slip ups. Refreshing to be excited about a potential promotion push and a wembely cup final......it's been a long while since any of us could say that!!!:claping hands:

ricohman

Whats to say that all the teams dont start taking points off each other this second half of the season and those amount of points are not needed.

Nothings sure in football. This could be a very close race for all the top half teams

jas365

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but on the next 4 Tuesdays there are 4-5 re-arranged games each week, and nearly every game involves a team around or above us:

22/01/13 - Brentford v Orient, Bury v Sheff Utd, Hartlepool v Bournemouth, Notts C v Oldham
29/01/13 - Crawley v Preston, Orient v Swindon, Pompey v Notts C, Yeovil v MK Dons
05/02/13 - Colchester v Swindon, Oldham v Yeovil, Sheff Utd v Crawley, Stevenage v Notts C
12/02/13 - Brentford v Stevenage, Crewe v Bournemouth, Doncaster v MK Dons, Hpool v Pompey, Scunny v Carlisle

We'll know by this time next month just how many points off the top 6 we'll be and what we have to do.

Sky Blues

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but on the next 4 Tuesdays there are 4-5 re-arranged games each week, and nearly every game involves a team around or above us:

22/01/13 - Brentford v Orient, Bury v Sheff Utd, Hartlepool v Bournemouth, Notts C v Oldham
29/01/13 - Crawley v Preston, Orient v Swindon, Pompey v Notts C, Yeovil v MK Dons
05/02/13 - Colchester v Swindon, Oldham v Yeovil, Sheff Utd v Crawley, Stevenage v Notts C
12/02/13 - Brentford v Stevenage, Crewe v Bournemouth, Doncaster v MK Dons, Hpool v Pompey, Scunny v Carlisle

We'll know by this time next month just how many points off the top 6 we'll be and what we have to do.

Only 5 of those games feature 2 sides in the promotion chasing mix playing each other, so there's not huge potential for dropped points (or 7 if you include Orient in the mix). Still, every little helps.

jas365

Only 5 of those games feature 2 sides in the promotion chasing mix playing each other, so there's not huge potential for dropped points (or 7 if you include Orient in the mix). Still, every little helps.

I think you have to still include Notts C (6 pts behind us - 4 games in hand), Stevenage (3 pts behind us - 3 games in hand) Crewe (3 pts behind us - 2 games in hand) as all still very much in the mix. Of course they can't all win and its going to be very difficult to get an accurate picture until after the games on 12th Feb and all the games are caught up.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think you have to still include Notts C (6 pts behind us - 4 games in hand), Stevenage (3 pts behind us - 3 games in hand) Crewe (3 pts behind us - 2 games in hand) as all still very much in the mix. Of course they can't all win and its going to be very difficult to get an accurate picture until after the games on 12th Feb and all the games are caught up.

They have to win those games though.

Another factor is when they play those games, we could be 'out of their reach' by the time they play there games. Not to mention they'll have fixture congestion later on in the season.

Good news for us, we have to play a lot of the teams around us in Feb.

BackRoomRummermill

Points in the bag are better than points in the bush LOL , the people with games in hand have to win those games and by doing so will cancel others out

Sky Blues

I think you misunderstand me Jas. I was counting those teams as being in the mix. I'm saying of the games you list, the only ones where both teams are in the promotion mix are the ones I've highlighted in red (and purple if you count Orient). (Though I did miscount and it is 6, not 5)

In those red matches draws might be the best result for us as it means maximum number of points dropped and minimum number of points gained (4 dropped & 2 gained across the two teams as opposed to 3 & 3).

Last edited:

jas365

Aah I see SB, the games you highlighted in red are definitely ones where a draw is the best result. Noth teams dropping points is more beneficial than one team winning.

BackRoomRummermill

If we can still be in the top 8 by the end of Feb then we have a real chance.

Teams to watch out for

Notts County
Yeovil
Mk Dons
Stevenage
Bournemouth

Stevenage and MK dons have a big say in this IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread