Points Needed For A Top 6 Finish Over The Last 8 Years (1 Viewer)

stupot07

I actually believe that everyone assumes too much of other teams. It's the hard and difficult part of the season now and injuries and suspensions will play a large part in teams performances. Some of those above us now I can almost guarantee will be below us when the reckoning is done. We will do better than most from here on in I suspect. Plenty of sliders in those above us! It's not all about what we do but what they don't do!
So much football to be played yet...

But we are in the transfer window which means other teams can also strengthen and replace injured players, then there's the loan window to open afterwards.

We keep talking about this superior large squad but we haven't had to use it because we haven't had an injury crisis where 2-3 key players have been out at the same time.

Black6Osprey

If we can keep our form going and other teams maintain their current points tally per game it will be a close thing but after a few calculations I predict

1. Brentford
2. Doncaster
3. Bournemouth
4. Swindon
5. Tranmere
6. Sheff Utd
7. Yeovil
8. Coventry

I reckon we will come about 5 points short of the play offs but one can hope for a miracle.

But look at the plus side we can go for back to back JPT finals.
Think of the glory. We could be thought of in the same light as Carlisle who were runners up in 2010 and then won it in 2011 with back to back Wembley appearances. The city will be buzzing and all the offices at Ryton will have a new lick of paint.

Tonylinc

I really don't think that we can make the Play offs now but I am not too disheartened by that. We will have a season to look forward to in which we will win far more than we loose

WillieStanley

More like recalculate since DM has left!

Last season, the lowest points to avoid relegation was 50. Before that 48, and before that 50.

Now we know the reason why scunny didn't bother signing clarke even after scoring 11 goals!

As I said, he hasn't scored in the leage since Nov 20!

Clarke was always going to be a gamble, and it looks like it may well not pay off!

So we hae to rely on the goals from the rest of cov's strikeforce.

1 point/ game may well be a tough ask

The thing is, I still can't genuinely work out whether you're a troll or genuinely stupid!!

ohitsaidwalker king power

Hi everyone.

Here are the points that were needed to secure a top 6 finish over the last 8 seasons in League 1.

The Sky Blues have 19 games to go and are currently on 37 points.

73 points - 36 points 1.89 points per game
71 points - 34 points 1.78 points per game
80 points - 43 points 2.26 points per game
76 points - 39 points 2.05 points per game
75 points - 38 points 2.00 points per game

73 points - 10 wins 6 draws 3 losses
71 points - 10 wins 4 draws 2 losses
80 points - 13 wins 4 draws 2 losses
76 points - 11 wins 6 draws 2 losses
75 points - 11 wins 5 draws 3 losses
75 points - 10 wins 5 draws 3 losses

Can you guys see us pull off this kind of form?

Over the season so far we have averaged 1.37 points per game.

Interested to hear your thoughts?

Cheers Rob

Does anyone know what the points tally was after 26/27 games in these respective seasons- there is a big difference 71pts - 80pts would that not give us a clue as to viable points target for this years play off aspirations?

SkyBlue_Bear83

If we can keep our form going and other teams maintain their current points tally per game it will be a close thing but after a few calculations I predict

1. Brentford
2. Doncaster
3. Bournemouth
4. Swindon
5. Tranmere
6. Sheff Utd
7. Yeovil
8. Coventry

I reckon we will come about 5 points short of the play offs but one can hope for a miracle.

But look at the plus side we can go for back to back JPT finals.
Think of the glory. We could be thought of in the same light as Carlisle who were runners up in 2010 and then won it in 2011 with back to back Wembley appearances. The city will be buzzing and all the offices at Ryton will have a new lick of paint.
We will finish ahead of Yeovil, expect mk dons to be in the top 8 also

Grendel

I'd say genuinely stupid, no one is that dedicated to trolling

He admits he doesn't go to games as part if a protest against the owners. He's in good company.

stupot07

Does anyone know what the points tally was after 26/27 games in these respective seasons- there is a big difference 71pts - 80pts would that not give us a clue as to viable points target for this years play off aspirations?

6th place after 26-27 games
73 after 26/27 games Stevenage 42
71 Peterborough 42
80 millwall 43
76 millwall 47
76 Walsall 41
75 swansea 42
71 chesterfield 42
71 Hartlepool 43

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jeez! Before the week-end, we were buzzin'! "We're goin up!" was the general feeling. Now, ONE loss! ONE bloody loss and we're talked about as if we're relegation fodder again! What's the matter guys? You didn't expect to win and draw EVERY remaining game did you? Come on! Let's be positive!

71 Peterborough 42
80 millwall 43
76 millwall 47
76 Walsall 41
75 swansea 42
71 chesterfield 42
71 Hartlepool 43

Thanks Stupot-good research- so 6th place this year presently holds 43 points- was hoping to establish a correlation but 43pts at this stage equally applies to 80pts as it does 71....albeit arguably 71 has an increased frequency- maybe 80pts is the exception....:thinking about:

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

71 Peterborough 42
80 millwall 43
76 millwall 47
76 Walsall 41
75 swansea 42
71 chesterfield 42
71 Hartlepool 43
No real pattern and doesn't give us much idea on what this seasons 6th place points tally will be, apart from Millwall 6th place have all been within 41-43 points at 26/27 games yet at the end of season we have a range of 71-80 for 6th place

No real pattern and doesn't give us much idea on what this seasons 6th place points tally will be, apart from Millwall 6th place have all been within 41-43 points at 26/27 games yet at the end of season we have a range of 71-80 for 6th place

so best case 34pts worse case 43pts points from 19 games?
10 home games 9 away... its going to be a tall order I think. 10 or 11 wins needed- 5/6 draws? Conjecture I know.. will our nerve hold... is my maths correct!!?:thinking about:

shoesmith81

Hi everyone.

Here are the points that were needed to secure a top 6 finish over the last 8 seasons in League 1.

Cheers Rob

Well a great win tonight against Tranmere. Big 3 points!

18 games and 40 points!

skybluelee

I would definitely back us to pick up 34-36 points from here on in. May be enough. 40 just seems too much imo.

Glen

All you Clarke doubters he isn't DM I agree but best we could get and win us game today in robins we trust

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just remember guys, a few teams around us have 1 or 2 games in hand. Don't get too carried away yet!

shoesmith81

Hi everyone.

Cheers Rob

See below. Updated after a great win against Tranmere this evening.

75 points - Need to average 1.94
80 points - Need to average 2.22
71 points - Need to average 1.72
76 points - Need to average 2.00

Effectively if we average a win and a draw every 2 games we will be there or there abouts!

Play up Sky Blues!

Sky Blues

All you Clarke doubters he isn't DM I agree but best we could get and win us game today in robins we trust

Glen, I'm going to give you a like for that. I hope this doesn't sound mean - and it isn't intended that way - but I only recall seeing you on here depressed after Coventry losses. To see you on here seemingly happy about how CCFC are doing on the field under Mark Robins is great! :)

Brighton Sky Blue

The very annoying thing is that when you look at how many games we've lost and thrown away, we should be very comfortably sat in the top 6.

Sky Blues

I hope we keep scoring. Points are crucial, and taking 3 points from the division leaders is great, but it's so tight up there that this could come down to goal difference too. We're currently on +10, which thankfully is equal to or within touching distance of most of our likely rivals.

The others are on:

Tranmere +19
Donny +16
Brentford +15
Sheff Utd +13
Swindon +28
MK Dons +12
Bournemouth +10
Notts County (4 points behind us but with 4 (four!) games in hand) +10

covcity4life

I hope they don't get their games in hand for a while. If were in top 6 wen we play them it might put more pressure on fringe teams

pipkin73

Hi everyone.

Cheers Rob

So if we get 71 points we only play another 16 games but for any other total we play 19 games. Not sure about this rule, please help!

Is it something like how the scottish leagues divide lol

and for the 2nd 75 points we only play 18 more games.

Last edited:

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Ok, so finishing points for the last 8 years have been detailed above. This is how many points the final 6th placed team had after 29 games...

73 - Stevenage pl 29 - 48 pts
71 - Bournemouth 29 - 50 pts
80 - Huddersfield 29 - 48 pts
76 - Scunthorpe 29 - 53 pts
76 - Southend 29 - 41 pts
75 - Oldham 29 - 52 pts
71 - Swansea 29 - 49 pts
71 - Hartlepool 29 - 51 pts

Our 43 points shows it's gonna need a Herculean effort, but it has and can be done...

Keep the faith, PUSB!

Brighton Sky Blue

If we maintain Robins' current record we'll be on course for the mid to high 70s. 40 points from 21 games, so just under 2 points a game. Over the 17 games left that's 30-35 more points; so it's a tall order but not out of the equation.

BurbageSkyBlues

Ok, so finishing points for the last 8 years have been detailed above. This is how many points the final 6th placed team had after 29 games...

73 - Stevenage pl 29 - 48 pts
71 - Bournemouth 29 - 50 pts
80 - Huddersfield 29 - 48 pts
76 - Sc-unithorpe 29 - 53 pts
76 - Southend 29 - 41 pts
75 - Oldham 29 - 52 pts
71 - Swansea 29 - 49 pts
71 - Hartlepool 29 - 51 pts

Our 43 points shows it's gonna need a Herculean effort, but it has and can be done...

Keep the faith, PUSB!

Thanks for that, MD.

Got me thinking......

Firstly, it gives the impression that our current points haul is better than just one of those, so on the face of it we are unlikely to make sixth place.

But, hang on a minute, there are other ways this could work, and a clue to one of these ways is the existing teams in the top six today. Is it possible that the teams that finish higher than 6th, have in fact been worse off than the starting points quoted in your post? For example, someone now, on 29 games with 41 points has gone on a great run and finished say 4th, and thereby relegated the teams currently in 4th and 5th to finish 6th , or lower,. These teams may have been on more than 43 points after 29 games.

The point here is that we don't have to finish sixth, it could be fifth or even fourth.

Appreciate it would be more work, but what about looking at the teams that have finished above sixth, after 29 games?

Cheers!

BurbageSkyBlues

Actually, if you look at their points haul from their last 17 games, it works out at

Stevenage 25
Bournemouth 21
Huddersfield 32
Scunt!ihorpe 23
Southend 35
Oldham 23
Swansea 22
Hartlepool 20

so, with the exception of two, they have all struggled to get 1.3 points a game from those last seventeen matches! This might indicate a slide, ie backing my theory that the team that has finished sixth has been a team that was above that position earlier in the season (after 29 games) otherwise there is no way they would have got the 48+ points from 29 games!!

This actually bodes well for us - the teams that finished above 6th must have had lower than the 48ish points at twenty nine games, it means that they have 10 or 11 of our remaining games, we could finish higher than sixth. In fact, we have won ten of our last 15, I believe, so if we keep up our form , we will be in there!

rob9872

Last 15 games we are 10-3-2 we can go 10-3-4 on the remaining 17 games to finish on 76 which imo will definitely be enough. We have a big squad and are the form side, so it is most definitely on. PUSB!

wolfie

All very interesting. But the fact that we are equal with 6th (I know we have played more than teams around us) says something. We have the momentum and still need to play the teams pushing for the top 6 places. I don't believe u can go on previous seasons points as it only requires a few dropped points from these other teams and we will keep climbing the league. Top 2 very unlikely top 6 is very much in our own hands.

Users who are viewing this thread