Player ratings (2 Viewers)

Calista

Please note to those who have made the comment, Hyam's long ball started the movement for the goal, even if it required some smart skill from Sterling
But if it’s the ball I’m thinking of, wasn’t it a sweep out wide to the far wing? That’s fine by me, even if Sterling did have to perform some acrobatics. It’s the long straight high balls to the likes of Chaplin and Hiwula that I think we need to reduce, because 9 times out of ten it just gives possession away. I’d rather see Kelly and Bayliss given the ball at their feet whenever possible.

ceetee

Putting a tackle in is all very well if you win the ball , but if you don't you can be left high and dry.
What Shipley does well is close players down and harass them , staying on his feet for a second and even third go at blocking progress and holding up opposition play.
I agree he is a poor tackler, so perhaps he knows his limitations and plays within them

skyblueeyesrevisited

Putting a tackle in is all very well if you win the ball , but if you don't you can be left high and dry.
What Shipley does well is close players down and harass them , staying on his feet for a second and even third go at blocking progress and holding up opposition play.
I agree he is a poor tackler, so perhaps he knows his limitations and plays within them
Mmmmmm midfielder that doesn’t tackle. Not really sought after are they.

AJB1983

Burge - did everything expected of him, couple of iffy kicks but I put that down to how the ball came to him.
Sterling - superb - I really like grimmer but can see why sterling is keeping his place
Hyam - solid and knocked some lovely balls around
Willis - again solid, powerful performance.
Mason - thought he did well, possibly best I’ve seen him.
Bayliss - can’t argue really as he got the assist, but would like to see him slightly further forward.
Kelly - getting better with more game time, again I think he’s better going forward (that game last season we won 3-1 and he scored in he was quality)
Westbrooke - could have done better with a couple of the set pieces, perhaps trying too hard to not overhit them and in doing so underhit them, otherwise really assured.
Shipley - just cant help thinking he’s not as effective this year/good enough? Although I’m fairness the touches he has and the little passes do create a bit of space for others
Chaplin - worked his socks off all game, played well up against some big defenders - just needs one to go in - needed to hit the target from that westbrooke free kick and the header I thought he’d flashed wide but went for a corner so my bad.
Hiwula - no good lumping long balls up to him, but great finish - no fucking around, just first time in bottom corner. Hitting some nice form.
JCH - I think does well as an impact sub with 20 minutes or so. Powerful, streetwise, and showed this when he had the ball. Won some free kicks - shame his pass across to Bayliss/Chaplin? was too strong
Doyle - apart from taking out Kelly (although I’m certain that Doyle shouted for it so Kelly should have left it) he did nowt wrong
McCallum - surprised he brought him on but will do him good. No dramas from him.

Garryb80

He can only be a poor tackler if he attempts to tackle

luwalla

Yeah, good job Man City didn't spend 10's of millions on Raheem Sterling then, eh.

LOL I've heard it all now... shipley compared to Raheem sterling

you buy a player like sterling for his world class forward attacking style of play, creativity, assists & oh, his excellent goal scoring capability at the highest level... Unless you are suggesting Shpley contributes in the same way, then I'm not sure how the comparison works ?

I like shipley & think he did a fair job for us I league 2, chipping in with a couple of decent goals, you could put aside his inability to tackle in league two, as he did add something to the team going forward. Unfortunately he has not been able to add to the team in the same way in league 1 & as such his inability to win balls in midfield is only highlighted further, as its possibility the bare minimum he could & should be contributing with if he isn't really adding to the performance in other ways - as he did in league 2 .

Sorry but thats just a fair overview in my opinion & seemingly that of others too... just not sure what he adds to the team at this level, and to start comparing his lack of abilities ( or what he adds to the team despite them ) to those of Manchester City is totally irrelevant!

Otis

LOL I've heard it all now... shipley compared to Raheem sterling

you buy a player like sterling for his world class forward attacking style of play, creativity, assists & oh, his excellent goal scoring capability at the highest level... Unless you are suggesting Shpley contributes in the same way, then I'm not sure how the comparison works ?

I like shipley & think he did a fair job for us I league 2, chipping in with a couple of decent goals, you could put aside his inability to tackle in league two, as he did add something to the team going forward. Unfortunately he has not been able to add to the team in the same way in league 1 & as such his inability to win balls in midfield is only highlighted further, as its possibility the bare minimum he could & should be contributing with if he isn't really adding to the performance in other ways - as he did in league 2 .

Sorry but thats just a fair overview in my opinion & seemingly that of others too... just not sure what he adds to the team at this level, and to start comparing his lack of abilities ( or what he adds to the team despite them ) to those of Manchester City is totally irrelevant!
Ah, but I wasn't comparing them at all.

You just were going on about midfielders that can't tackle and there's loads of them about. ;)

No comparison to be had.

Some midfielders are great tacklers, some are not tacklers at all.

luwalla

Ah, but I wasn't comparing them at all.

You just were going on about midfielders that can't tackle and there's loads of them about. ;)

No comparison to be had.

Some midfielders are great tacklers, some are not tacklers at all.

think you are confusing me with someone else , I only referred to Shipley and his lack of ability to tackle... and as such his lack of ability to add anything to the team, for the reason mentioned above

Otis

think you are confusing me with someone else , I only referred to Shipley and his lack of ability to tackle... and as such his lack of ability to add anything to the team, for the reason mentioned above
Okay. Apologies if not you. :)

Just assumed it was you due to your response to my post.

Users who are viewing this thread