Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

Burge 7 - not much to do but marshalled the 8 mins injury time well
Sterling 9 - best performance of the season for him. Cultured, good defending, close control, good crosses into the box. Getting better with each game
Mason 7 - decent without being spectacular
Willis 7 - solid
Hyam 8 - solid, gets a higher mark than Willis due to his range of passing out from the back
Westbrooke 7 - grew into the game, decent debut
Kelly 8 - controlled the midfield. The fitter he gets the better he is playing. Similar to last season
Bayliss 7 - some good driving runs forward. Good performance without being spectacular
Shipley 5 - this may upset a few but on form I just don’t see what he contributes. When the squad is fit I would loan him out.
Hiwula 8 - 2 starts up front, 2 goals. Brings pace and urgency. Took his goal well. Felt for him being moved to the left
When JCH came on
Chaplin 6 - feel for the lad, he has clear potential and works hard but it’s just not working for him at the moment.

JCH 8 -looked angry when he came on, looked like he had a point to prove. If only he could 0lay like this every week.
Doyle - n/a
McCallum - n/a

Covstu

Burge - 7 easy day at the office
Dujon - 9 outstanding game, the difference between the two teams
Hyam - 8 vastly improved over the last two games
Willis -7.5 solid game
Mason - 7 good steady game

Kelly - 8.5 seen some negative comments from fans about him which I couldn’t work out.
Bayliss - 7 flashes of quality but an equal amount of mediocrity
Shipley - 7 not much going on there
Westbrooke - 7.5 thought he showed some positive aspects and decent corners

Hiwula - 8.5 our top goalscorer
Chaplin - 7 getting chances, worked hard but just not happening

Subs

JCH : 7 okay but need more off him

Cavan O'Doherty

Burge-7
Sterling-9 MOTM, amazing how far he’s come since his first few games. Fair to say he’s proved a few wrong.
Hyam- 8 Nothing got past him today. Just missed out on MOTM for me.
Willis-7 Did what he had to do
Mason-7 More steady and defensively sound than Brown.
Kelly-7 Probably more of an 8 in the second half but was a bit lightweight in the first.
Bayliss-7 Extra point for the assist
Westbrooke-6 Just ok
Shipley- 5 Punching above his weight in this division unfortunately
Chaplin-5 Kept trying but can’t hit a barn door at the minute.
Hiwula-8 Shame he got moved out to the left as he got a bit of confidence after his goal.

Clarke Harris-7 Put himself about when he came on, wish he was like that all the time.
Mcallum- N/A
Doyle-N/A

Esoterica

Pretty sure he was one of their better players whilst they were a complete basket case of a club.
Was being sarcastic, sorry. Been some idiots who've tried to pretend he wasn't good enough for L2 nevermind on his own in L1.
As I have said somewhere else on the forum I think Doyle playing alongside him made him look good now he is on his own in the D M position we are seeing how ordinary he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWC

Nick

Administrator
Kelly has looked better in his last 2 games than he did in League 2 I think. Maybe he has more space and freedom without getting smashed straight away?

pusbccfc

Kelly has looked better in his last 2 games than he did in League 2 I think. Maybe he has more space and freedom without getting smashed straight away?

Robins is allowing him more freedom to do what he wants.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Burge-7 - another solid game behind shots, great stop in extra time. Distribution better than the Charlton game but I'm sure better people than me (Oggy) are letting him know he needs to be more consistent in this area. I would love to see him bang quick long balls downfield for Chaplin, Hiwula etc to run onto, he can do it - quality at MK Dons in the FA Cup last year, low risk approach and with the pace we have should be a weapon for us.

Sterling- 9 - the lad is quality, we're lucky to have him. Cutting inside when attacking rather than sticking to the outside caused a lot of problems for Southend and that approach will create a lot of space for Thomas when he's back and draw men away from Bayliss in the middle of the park.

Hyam 7 - Solid again!

Willis-8 - Brilliant stopping them scoring in the first half and taking a blow to the head at the same time, covers so much ground on the right to allow Sterling to pressure forward.

Mason-7 - Seems to cover a lot of ground and always looking to pressure and push forwards.

Kelly-7 - Controlled the game well for us, 1st half he seemed more cautious than against Chrlton and seemed happier playing sideways or backwards. 2nd half he was more positive and looking to play forward a bit more which is so important as we look good when we control the tempo.

Bayliss-7 - Great position to set up Hiwula, I would still like tyo see him more involved and control the tempo more with Kelly. Last 10-15 mins his tracking back, tackling and closing down Southends attacks was excellent and a side to his game I don't think I've seen before.

Westbrooke- (5 first 50 mins - 7 after) - I get nervous with players being started when they haven't been given game time from the bench and he looked out of his depth in the first half, second half he showed he's got a decent touch, he can cross and did a decent job. Would like to see more of him as a sub, continue to develop and step in when required.

Shipley- 5 - Couple of decent crosses in the first half but for the bulk of the game I didn't really notice him.

Chaplin- 6.5 - Heart goes out to the lad, work rate is immense, continues to make decent runs and get's stuck in. He'll know he should have hoit the target with the 1st half free kick that he put wide. They say that over a season luck balances out and on another day that shot will be buried and all those other near misses will become goals. The cut in from the left and shot drilled to the top corner was a quality piece of skill and a cracking shot with his wrong foot. He's got his haters and I respectfully disagree with all of them, great skill, hard working, honest player with a massive heart and when (not if) the goals come we'll all be smiling.

Hiwula- 8 - Liking the partnership he's developing with Chaplin, as I mentioned after the Charlton game we play better as a team with those two in the front line. The goal was from running onto a ball which is how he should be used and it was a great finish. Got moved out to the wing when JCH came which reduced his effectiveness but overall was a good decision as JCH created new pressure on Southend.

Clarke Harris- 8 - One of the best performances I've seen from him when he came on, stayed on his feet, used his strength against defenders and even chased down one of their defenders and beat him to the ball - I bet even JCH didn't know he could run like that. Never stopped running. I would rather see 30 mins of him like that each game, playing with that purpose than 90 mins where something just isn't clicking.

McCallum- 6.5 - Not on long enough to get a score from me but I liked seeing him pushing high up the pitch and not being afraid to have the ball at his feet. Looks like we've got some decent depth at LB.

Doyle- 7 - Does what Doyler does best, gets involved, in the ref's ear and breaks up play. Solid for the time he was on.

Overall a decent performance, could have been a bit more positive like in the Charlton game - we play ourselves into a bit of trouble when we go sideways / backwards when largely unnecessary. Southend hardly managed a shot against us and if we can continue to play like that we will win more than we lose.

Esoterica

Burge-7 - another solid game behind shots, great stop in extra time. Distribution better than the Charlton game but I'm sure better people than me (Oggy) are letting him know he needs to be more consistent in this area. I would love to see him bang quick long balls downfield for Chaplin, Hiwula etc to run onto, he can do it - quality at MK Dons in the FA Cup last year, low risk approach and with the pace we have should be a weapon for us.

Sterling- 9 - the lad is quality, we're lucky to have him. Cutting inside when attacking rather than sticking to the outside caused a lot of problems for Southend and that approach will create a lot of space for Thomas when he's back and draw men away from Bayliss in the middle of the park.

Hyam 7 - Solid again!

Willis-8 - Brilliant stopping them scoring in the first half and taking a blow to the head at the same time, covers so much ground on the right to allow Sterling to pressure forward.

Mason-7 - Seems to cover a lot of ground and always looking to pressure and push forwards.

Kelly-7 - Controlled the game well for us, 1st half he seemed more cautious than against Chrlton and seemed happier playing sideways or backwards. 2nd half he was more positive and looking to play forward a bit more which is so important as we look good when we control the tempo.

Bayliss-7 - Great position to set up Hiwula, I would still like tyo see him more involved and control the tempo more with Kelly. Last 10-15 mins his tracking back, tackling and closing down Southends attacks was excellent and a side to his game I don't think I've seen before.

Westbrooke- (5 first 50 mins - 7 after) - I get nervous with players being started when they haven't been given game time from the bench and he looked out of his depth in the first half, second half he showed he's got a decent touch, he can cross and did a decent job. Would like to see more of him as a sub, continue to develop and step in when required.

Shipley- 5 - Couple of decent crosses in the first half but for the bulk of the game I didn't really notice him.

Chaplin- 6.5 - Heart goes out to the lad, work rate is immense, continues to make decent runs and get's stuck in. He'll know he should have hoit the target with the 1st half free kick that he put wide. They say that over a season luck balances out and on another day that shot will be buried and all those other near misses will become goals. The cut in from the left and shot drilled to the top corner was a quality piece of skill and a cracking shot with his wrong foot. He's got his haters and I respectfully disagree with all of them, great skill, hard working, honest player with a massive heart and when (not if) the goals come we'll all be smiling.

Hiwula- 8 - Liking the partnership he's developing with Chaplin, as I mentioned after the Charlton game we play better as a team with those two in the front line. The goal was from running onto a ball which is how he should be used and it was a great finish. Got moved out to the wing when JCH came which reduced his effectiveness but overall was a good decision as JCH created new pressure on Southend.

Clarke Harris- 8 - One of the best performances I've seen from him when he came on, stayed on his feet, used his strength against defenders and even chased down one of their defenders and beat him to the ball - I bet even JCH didn't know he could run like that. Never stopped running. I would rather see 30 mins of him like that each game, playing with that purpose than 90 mins where something just isn't clicking.

McCallum- 6.5 - Not on long enough to get a score from me but I liked seeing him pushing high up the pitch and not being afraid to have the ball at his feet. Looks like we've got some decent depth at LB.

Doyle- 7 - Does what Doyler does best, gets involved, in the ref's ear and breaks up play. Solid for the time he was on.

Overall a decent performance, could have been a bit more positive like in the Charlton game - we play ourselves into a bit of trouble when we go sideways / backwards when largely unnecessary. Southend hardly managed a shot against us and if we can continue to play like that we will win more than we lose.
Doyle injured our best midfielder, chased some shadows, and then hoofed a couple of long balls to nowhere. That you rate his 15 minutes a 7, the same as Kelly's, is ridiculous.

Nick

Administrator
Doyle injured our best midfielder, chased some shadows, and then hoofed a couple of long balls to nowhere. That you rate his 15 minutes a 7, the same as Kelly's, is ridiculous.
Didn't even run over to get involved with the handbags either. I could have done all that and took a booking to get the fans going.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

When you put it like that......

But he was in the refs ear, the hoofing at that point in the game isn't a bad thing when Southend are pushing everyone forward and it breaks up play. Agree that I maybe should have docked him another 0.5 for taking out Kelly within 2 mins of being on the pitch!

Nick

Administrator
Loved the way he took that first throw in and immediately showed he had s good long throw. Then couple good touches and not afraid to go fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did well by the corner flag too.

I think that was his first Pro football match as well.

Reminds me of Cyrus Christie a bit in the way he runs etc.

HerneBayGaz

Loved the way he took that first throw in and immediately showed he had s good long throw. Then couple good touches and not afraid to go fwd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right. I was told about his long throws for Herne Bay. And got an eye for goal. Hope he gets a run in the first team. But knowing SISU they will probably sell in January!!!

CCFC_Charlie

Burge - 7 - Didn’t have much to do, good save right at the end when nerves were high
Sterling - 8 - Excellent again, looks a right player
Hyam - 8 - Assured and comfortable on the ball, some great passes
Willis - 7 - Steady, put himself on the line a few times
Mason - 7 - Solid, prefer him to Brown.
Westbrooke - 6 - Played about as well as you can expect from a lad making his first start in an unfamiliar position, some good touches but a bit erratic with the ball
Kelly - 8 - Excellent on the ball and good defensive shift as well, been impressed last two games. Looks better than last season.
Bayliss - 6 - Better than Charlton but still making silly mistakes. Good assist for goal and clearly has the ability.
Shipley - 6 - Bit hectic in the first half, but steady enough. Allows Mason to go forward.
Chaplin - 5 - Works hard but lacking technical proficiency at the moment. Looks short of confidence.
Hiwula - 7 - Good finish, and looks much better through the middle. Has to have a run of games there now.

Clarke-Harris - 6 - Better than recent weeks, looked fired up by losing his place to Hiwula/Hiwula scoring, but can be a bit headless at times. Think he’ll be better as an impact player for a bit.

cc84cov

Burge 8 done the basics well

Mason 8 far superior than brown.

Hyam 8 basics done well poor passes too many long balls Davies is the better of the 2.

Willis 9 strong game today read play well wouldn’t be surprised if bids came in for him.

Sterling 10 (MOTM) I slated him early this season but have to say he’s came on massively menacing going forward today defending brilliantly.

Kelly 8 excellent today looks to be finally upto fitness & sharpness.

Bayliss 7 still feel we need more showed his usual flashes.

Westbrooke 8 done well great delivery & great feet.

Shipley 6 poor for me today.

Hiwula 9 lead the line well the man does not get tired took his goal well.

Chaplin 7 busy but feel he’s just half a yard too slow to be prolific being so small.

Calista

Burge - 7 did everything he needed to do
Sterling – 8 unrecognisable from the feeble early performances. Still perhaps badly positioned when they got that chance at the end though.
Hyam - 8 dealt well with absolutely everything thrown at him, and undroppable on this form. Would just like to see fewer long high balls, as he has the ability to play it on the deck.
Willis -7 good defensive display
Mason – 6 decent performance, hopefully will grow in confidence when bringing the ball out of defence
Kelly – 9 (MOTM) I think he has been superb in both the Xmas matches, and if he can keep fit is someone to build around
Bayliss - 6 we have to find a way to play him nearer to the opposition box. As one of two playing deep in centre mid he is completely wasted.
Shipley – 6 decent enough
Westbrooke – 6 fine but surely out of position on the right. We are basically playing 442 without any natural wide men. Lovely free kick for Chaplin's chance.
Hiwula – 8 considering the terrible service he’s had, two goals in two games is great. Bayliss or Andreu should be just behind him, slipping the passes through that he is always looking for.
Chaplin - 7 working hard, disappointing quality at times but I think his desire will bring goals the more he plays.

JCH - 7 being dropped seems to have motivated him a bit, as he put himself about better than I’ve seen before
Doyle – N/A
McCallum – N/A but good to see another one coming through

Malaka

Burge 7
Sterling 8
Mason 8
Willis 7
Hyam 7.5
Kelly 7.5
Bayliss 7
Westbrooke 5.5
Shipley 5
Hiwula 7.5
Chaplin 6.5

Clarke Harris 7
Doyle 6
McCallum 6

I thought it was a bit too soon for Westbrooke, took him a while to adapt to the pace, but he did one or two nice things in the second half

Warwickhunt

Stirling is looking the Dogs Bollox of a player just of late! and why the fuck does MR insist on putting Hiwula out on the left to accomodate JCH!!! totally took the impetus out of any attacking down the middle. Come on Robbins get your head above the parapet and recognise that to get the best out of him i down the Middle

Gibbo

Burge - 7 did everything he needed to do
Sterling – 8 unrecognisable from the feeble early performances. Still perhaps badly positioned when they got that chance at the end though.
Hyam - 8 dealt well with absolutely everything thrown at him, and undroppable on this form. Would just like to see fewer long high balls, as he has the ability to play it on the deck.
Willis -7 good defensive display
Mason – 6 decent performance, hopefully will grow in confidence when bringing the ball out of defence
Kelly – 9 (MOTM) I think he has been superb in both the Xmas matches, and if he can keep fit is someone to build around
Bayliss - 6 we have to find a way to play him nearer to the opposition box. As one of two playing deep in centre mid he is completely wasted.
Shipley – 6 decent enough
Westbrooke – 6 fine but surely out of position on the right. We are basically playing 442 without any natural wide men. Lovely free kick for Chaplin's chance.
Hiwula – 8 considering the terrible service he’s had, two goals in two games is great. Bayliss or Andreu should be just behind him, slipping the passes through that he is always looking for.
Chaplin - 7 working hard, disappointing quality at times but I think his desire will bring goals the more he plays.

JCH - 7 being dropped seems to have motivated him a bit, as he put himself about better than I’ve seen before
Doyle – N/A
McCallum – N/A but good to see another one coming through
Please note to those who have made the comment, Hyam's long ball started the movement for the goal, even if it required some smart skill from Sterling

Gibbo

Have we actually tried JCH and hiwula up front yet this season?
Now the season has progressed and players are bedded in, even if we have, it is worth trying again. If only Chaplin was half a yard faster he would make a half decent left wing

Gibbo

Stirling is looking the Dogs Bollox of a player just of late! and why the fuck does MR insist on putting Hiwula out on the left to accomodate JCH!!! totally took the impetus out of any attacking down the middle. Come on Robbins get your head above the parapet and recognise that to get the best out of him i down the Middle
The ultimate accolade...

Users who are viewing this thread