Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

Surprises me Bayliss is getting such criticism - I thought he did ok today. He's a similar player to Baker was in that he doesn't take the safe obvious option, and as such is prone to making some mistakes. On the flip side though, he creates more openings for the team. I accept his end product has often been disappointing this season, but I wonder how much that is him, and how much it is our forwards not being on the same wavelength. Unfortunately though it does seem many of our supporters have now moved there ire from Doyle onto Bayliss, which I find a shame and if continuing will severely test his resolve & character. It would be terrible if our crowds downer on him forces him into his shell and stops him from playing his natural game. Anyhow my ratings are:
Burge 6
Sterling 9
Hyam 8
Willis 7
Mason 7
Thomas 7.5
Kelly 7
Bayliss 7
Shipley 6
Chaplin 6.5
Hiwula 7.5
JCH & Brown 6.5

Grendel

I don’t decide the cost of players (nor do they), managers and the market do. Are there loads of goalscorers available for £500k, I don’t know.

If we aren’t going to play to his strengths then you could be right, but yes, I would keep him. The price tag is partly because Portsmouth knew we were desperate and partly for potential...he’s 21 (as I may have mentioned previously !!!). I’m not going to hold his cost against him.

Robins should know a goalscorer when he sees one so I’ll bow to his judgement.

Robins has signed several players that suggest he may not be that good at knowing a goalscorer.

Playing to strengths is a dull cliche. I doubt you’ve studied his career so it’s a lazy comment.

We weren’t desperate as I doubt he’s the the only player available for a fee of that size in the league at all

In the end I asked if he’s worth the fee and if you’d pay it. I wouldn’t. If you are too too much of a coward to actually have a view on the forum that’s your call.

Grendel

Hiwula is the best striker we have got

Mason is much better than brown

Sterling has been a big miss for us whilst injured

Three main reason why we managed to win today compared to the last 8 matches

Says the guy who thought Southgate was the worst manager England ever employed

Grendel

Lol

Anything to say about the game?

I suppose you think Jch is the best striker at the club?

I’ve said plenty about the game. You think hiwuka will score more than clarke Harris? I don’t? What’s it worth?

CCFCSteve

Robins has signed several players that suggest he may not be that good at knowing a goalscorer.

Playing to strengths is a dull cliche. I doubt you’ve studied his career so it’s a lazy comment.

We weren’t desperate as I doubt he’s the the only player available for a fee of that size in the league at all

In the end I asked if he’s worth the fee and if you’d pay it. I wouldn’t. If you are too too much of a coward to actually have a view on the forum that’s your call.

Coward...bless ! Yeah, it’s frightening giving an opinion on here !! I’ve shared my views on both bayliss and Chaplin today. I also said I’d keep Chaplin

Just to respond to the other comments:

Portsmouth knew we were desperate to sign him and that we had sold our main goalscorer, mcnulty. So could push for a higher price

I don’t need to study his career to gage what I think his strengths are. Hardly a cliche to say, for example that long high balls to him him when he’s got a 6ft 4 defender marking him (we did less of that today, hence his increased involvement) is not playing to his strengths. Quick, early balls when he’s in the box probably are

Lazy is picking all the negatives in a players game and not acknowledging what he has done well, or how the team might be able to get more out of him

Grendel

Coward...bless ! Yeah, it’s frightening giving an opinion on here !! I’ve shared my views on both bayliss and Chaplin today. I also said I’d keep Chaplin

Just to respond to the other comments:

Portsmouth knew we were desperate to sign him and that we had sold our main goalscorer, mcnulty. So could push for a higher price

I don’t need to study his career to gage what I think his strengths are. Hardly a cliche to say, for example that long high balls to him him when he’s got a 6ft 4 defender marking him (we did less of that today, hence his increased involvement) is not playing to his strengths. Quick, early balls when he’s in the box probably are

Lazy is picking all the negatives in a players game and not acknowledging what he has done well, or how the team might be able to get more out of him

You haven’t actually answered any of the questions I’ve asked

covcity4life

Hiwula is the best striker we have got

Mason is much better than brown

Sterling has been a big miss for us whilst injured

Three main reason why we managed to win today compared to the last 8 matches
To be fair to brown I would say he one of few players who unlucky to be dropped

Mason did well. But brown hasn't been bad for us imo

CCFCSteve

You haven’t actually answered any of the questions I’ve asked

I did, otherwise I’d say I would rather we didn’t keep him. As I indicated, he’s probably a bit overpriced because of the situation (they knew we were desperate to get him) but yeah, I would still buy him. I think he’ll come good (and being involved in 7 goals in 15/16 starts isn’t that bad either - should be 8 as that goal where he buried it between two defenders on the line, early doors after joining, was never offside !)

Ps try using question marks if you have any other questions :emoji_relaxed:

Last edited:

pusbccfc

Surprises me Bayliss is getting such criticism - I thought he did ok today. He's a similar player to Baker was in that he doesn't take the safe obvious option, and as such is prone to making some mistakes. On the flip side though, he creates more openings for the team. I accept his end product has often been disappointing this season, but I wonder how much that is him, and how much it is our forwards not being on the same wavelength. Unfortunately though it does seem many of our supporters have now moved there ire from Doyle onto Bayliss, which I find a shame and if continuing will severely test his resolve & character. It would be terrible if our crowds downer on him forces him into his shell and stops him from playing his natural game. Anyhow my ratings are:
Burge 6
Sterling 9
Hyam 8
Willis 7
Mason 7
Thomas 7.5
Kelly 7
Bayliss 7
Shipley 6
Chaplin 6.5
Hiwula 7.5
JCH & Brown 6.5

I get your point about Bayliss.

However, Bayliss has 2 goals and 1 assist in 24 games this season. Baker would have 3x that by now.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Far too pissed to post full ratings or argue with some of you pillocks, but...

We looked overall a lot better today and I saw a bigger desire to win today than I've seen in months.

Despite what some say, the reality was 3 (maybe 4) players were a bit below par today. Hopefully they will improve though as generally those performances still weren't as bad as in recent weeks.

Vital that we keep the same momentum into the next game. Hiwula has to play up front (did scare me when Robins put him on the wing later) and the full backs should be the same. Kelly is a ledge at the moment too.

Hobo

I get your point about Bayliss.

However, Bayliss has 2 goals and 1 assist in 24 games this season. Baker would have 3x that by now.

What makes you think Baker would have 6 goals and 3 assists if he were at Coventry? When he has only mustered 1 goal and 2 assists in 17 playing at a much lower level with Nuneaton?

pusbccfc

What makes you think Baker would have 6 goals and 3 assists if he were at Coventry? When he has only mustered 1 goal and 2 assists in 17 playing at a much lower level with Nuneaton?

I'm not talking about now.

Previously, Baker had a far better goal/assist ratio than Bayliss.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Legia Sky Blue post 36 I though your comment and ratings were spot on about today i noticed a fair few times today when Bayliss had the ball Charlton left a large area centrally just outside the box a space that 1 of our players could have exploited but no one did so he has to go it alone until he is outnumbered and gets dispossessed give the kid some options. I think we are a very static forward line and watching the top striker in the country would not go a miss.

Gibbo

Chaplin has been shocking for a fair few games but got an assist today so improved.

First half he was more advanced, not sure he's what we need. If we had a different partner other than jch for hiwula I'd play them.

Oh, I've never slated sterling and didn't McNulty or biamou.

What exactly is Chaplin's strength? He's not a goal scorer, he's not a target man, he's not that quick.

If his strength is crossing, why not play him out on the left?
He's quite a good crosser - better than Thomas I suspect - but not quick enough to play out wide. His lack of over the ground speed is the most worrying aspect of his game

oucho

Until he scored I had to keep reminding myself that Bayliss was playing. Can't remember him doing anything good on the ball at all. Chaplin ran around a bit to little effect. Other than that I was quite impressed.

east_midlands_skyblue

Burge - 6 Some good saves, but invited pressure from set pieces and kicking seems to have regressed again.
Sterling - 8. Great performance today, has really improved during his spell with us.
Mason - 6. Did pretty well but a bit hesitant, perhaps not helped by a lack of width in front of him though.
Hyam - 7. Solid throughout.
Willis - 7. Did a bit more than Hyam at times, but also could have cost us a goal!
Thomas - 8. Dangerous all game, could have been a 10 had he got a goal / assist and really should have done. Great defensively again. EDIT... Forgot he set up Bayliss' goal. But only going to put it up to a 9!
Shipley - 6. Better than usual on the left, actually thought his corners were quite good so disagree with some earlier comments.
Bayliss - 6. Sloppy at times today with his passing but popped up with the winner and didn't go missing when things weren't working for him.
Kelly - 7. Reliable performance, kept things ticking.
Chaplin - 6. Worked hard and got the assist but really needs a couple of goals to go in. Still think there is a player in there.
Hiwula - 7. Great header for the goal and could have had another without being fouled. Worth a run up top for me over JCH.

JCH - 6. Did what you'd expect from him.
Brown - 6. As above.
Davies - Not really on long enough to comment.

Last edited:

covcity4life

Can't quite get Bayliss taking 3s and 4s. At least he tries and is capable of something different. Would you really like players just making 5 yard simple passes? Kelly or Sterling motm
Alot of our fans don't get football. They think simple is best. Simple passes. Simple tactics. Simple clearances etc

They are simple

speedie87

Burge 6 dodgy positioning on a couple of corners could have cost us
Sterling 8 motm
Willis 7 nearly blew it with dodgy header to play them clean through but recovered well
Hyam 7
Mason 7 he’s almost really good
Kelly 8
Bayliss 6
Shipley 5
Thomas 7
Chaplin 6
Hiwula 6

CCFC_Charlie

Burge 6
Sterling 8
Willis 7
Hyam 7
Mason 7
Thomas 6
Bayliss 5
Kelly 6
Shipley 6
Hiwula 7
Chaplin 5

A lot better today, this is the level we need to be performing at if we want to make something of this season. Sterling looks some player, miles ahead of Grimmer at RB for me. Bayliss disappointing again but came up with the good when it mattered, still only young and has played a lot of football. Chaplin worked hard but no idea why he plays so deep. Must be instructions otherwise wouldn’t be in the team. Yet to be convinced he’s worth the money paid. Hiwula deserves a run of games playing upfront. Win vs Southend on Saturday now please City and head into the New Year on the right note. Very, very winnable run of games coming up.

Esoterica

* I thought Bayliss and Chaplin were ok yesterday. Chaplin should have been played through on goal at least twice in the first half but Hiwula was brought down and Thomas ignored a simple reverse pass to him.
* Bayliss didn't play especially well but was part of a midfield that dominated a decent team for periods - he has to be allowed to misplace passes in that role, he's threading the eye of a needle to limited options a lot of the time. Positive for me was that he was getting on the ball in more dangerous areas than he has recently.
* Really enjoying how much more possession we turnover in midfield with Kelly there.
* Fullbacks regularly getting high up the pitch was a big contributor to putting Charlton on the back foot. Mason is not as good a defender as Brown and his passing was a bit off yesterday but the positions he was regularly getting into were important.
* Hyam is absolutely key to yesterday's style of play, his passing and general composure on the ball are vital to starting off a lot of our passing moves and for the midfield to be confident in going back to if the pass forward isn't on.
* Desperately need to stop wasting set pieces with that floaty nonsense, especially when Davies not in the side - it's just too easy to defend against when we are a short side.
* Execution wasn't there a lot of the time yesterday but that's exactly how I want us to play every week and, irrespective of the result, the football was enjoyable to watch again for the first time for weeks

Last edited:

Otis

* I thought Bayliss and Chaplin were ok yesterday. Chaplin should have been played through on goal at least twice in the first half but Hiwula was brought down and Thomas ignored a simple reverse pass to him.
* Bayliss didn't play especially well but was part of a midfield that dominated a decent team for periods - he has to be allowed to misplace passes in that role, he's threading the eye of a needle to limited options a lot of the time. Positive for me was that he was getting on the ball in more dangerous areas than he has recently.
* Really enjoying how much more possession we turnover in midfield with Kelly there.
* Fullbacks regularly getting high up the pitch was a big contributor to putting Charlton on the back foot. Mason is not as good a defender as Brown and his passing was a bit off yesterday but the positions he was regularly getting into were important.
* Hyam is absolutely key to yesterday's style of play, his passing and general composure on the ball are vital to starting off a lot of our passing moves and for the midfield to be confident in going back to if the pass forward isn't on.
* Desperately need to stop wasting set pieces with that floaty nonsense, especially when Davies not in the side - it's just too easy to defend against when we are a short side.
* Execution wasn't there a lot of the time yesterday but that's exactly how I want us to play every week and, irrespective of the result, the football was enjoyable to watch again for the first time for weeks
Agree with that and the floaty nonsense was just weird, because Shipley did actually ping a corner in at pace early on. Why he stopped after that I don't know.

Mucca Mad Boys

In all honesty, it was pretty average game that didn’t have a lot of chances. However, with Charlton being 4th and our run of form, a draw would’ve been a good result.

Match ratings:

Burge, 7 - made a really good save, and was solid, minus 1-2 inconsequential occasions.
Sterling, 7 - played really well in both attack and defence. Those runs down the line kept momentum in our favour, whereas we’d have probably lost the ball with other personnel there.
Willis and Hyam, 7 - solid defensively and Willis (and Sterling) made some brilliant pieces of last ditch defending. Hyam was solid and carried the ball well out in defence.
Mason, 6 - played well in my view, fizzled out a bit in the second half, but he’s more a bit more direct in attack than Brown.
Thomas, 7 - looked threatening and has excellent ball control which lets him glide past 2-3 players and still get a cross in. Needs to work on the end product though and was a bit selfish at times, despite getting the assist for Bayliss.
Kelly, 7 - midfield general, good range of passing minus the occasions he nearly got caught out in Doyle-esque fashion. Makes me think it’s tactical than an individual mistake because we’re pushed so far forward.
Bayliss, 6 - minus the goal, I’d sum up his performance in one word: pedestrian. To me, he looks tired and lacking in confidence, it’s such a shame seeing the fans turn on him. I was so glad he got the goal shortly after a fan shouted ‘ABSOLUTE SHIT!’ about 5-10m before he scored.
Shipley, 6 - does jobs that simply won’t get plaudits and credit but we seem to do better when he plays. In the past, it may be a valid criticism that he doesn’t commit to tackles, not the case yesterday.
Chaplin, 7 - got a nice assist and generally played quite well despite us not creating many chances.
Hiwula, 7 - took his chance for the goal very well. Give him and Chaplin the chance to form a partnership because tactically that’s probably what will suit us the best right now.

JCH, 6 - I don’t get the hate for him, came on and won a fair few headers which keeps momentum on side instead of having the ball constantly in our half. Intelligent sub in my view.
Davies, 6 - came on and defended well
Brown, 6 - same as Davies really, nothing special springs to mind.

Warwickhunt

Burge - 7 - couple of wayward kicks again but couple of cracking saves.
Sterling - 8 MOTM
Hyam - 7
Willis - 8 - gets an extra point for that tackle in the box
Mason - 7 - thought he looked pretty good going forward
Kelly - 7
Bayliss - 5 - thought he looked better than he has most of the season today
Shipley - 6 - still not sure on him in this league
Thomas - 7
Hiwula - 7 thought he looked really good first half
Chaplin - 5 worked hard today

JCH - 4 why bring him on really why?
Brown - 6
He bought JCH on because Charlton was causing issues with free kicks and corners. He should convert him to a centre back

Grendel

He bought JCH on because Charlton was causing issues with free kicks and corners. He should convert him to a centre back

He bought him on as Charlton changed tactics and the only reason we created so much in the first half was because of their dreadful distribution out of defence.

In the second half they were dominating and hiwula was incapable of doing anything up front regarding retaining possession or even remotely worrying their defenders

For once he made a substitution that impacted the direction the match was going

Users who are viewing this thread