Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Bayliss and Chaplin were dire for the majority of the game but they got a goal and assist so extra points and might give them a boost

Kelly covered a lot of ground and broke up play as well first half.

Hiwula wasnt in the game as much when he got moved out wide.

torchomatic

All ok. I thought Bayliss was woeful but, to be fair, he popped up to get the winner.

Thought Kelly was decent and Sterling too
Mason started well but faded a little.

Grendel

Hard as 3 of the worst players either scored or assisted the goals

Burge 6
Sterling 8
Willis 7
Hyam 8
Mason 6
Kelly 8
Bayliss 4
Shipley 6
Thomas 8
Hiwula 5
Chaplin 3

Clarke Harris 7
Brown 7

I really can’t see why he dropped brown for mason whose hardly featured for weeks especially when you look at the height advantage they had.

They gave us the first half and it was obvious that would change. Hiwula was terrible really. To be fair he can score goals when provided but he just doesn’t win headers, doesn’t hold the ball or have pace. Without the assist Chaplin was worryingly anonymous.

The double over Charlton is random really and these results will probably just keep us up. The gane in Saturday will be a big indicator

Without Thomas to me we have nothing at all creatively

pusbccfc

Burge - 6
Sterling - 8
Hyam - 7
Willis - 7
Mason - 8
Kelly - 7
Bayliss - 5 (+2 for the goal. He was woeful otherwise)
Shipley - 6
Thomas - 7
Hiwula - 6
Chaplin - 3

JCH - 7
Brown - 6

Thought Hiwula did well actually. Certainly better than JCH in recent weeks. Chaplin was woeful. JCH and Hiwula up front on Saturday for me.

D

Deleted member 2477

IMG_1130.JPG
Hard as 3 of the worst players either scored or assisted the goals

Burge 6
Sterling 8
Willis 7
Hyam 8
Mason 6
Kelly 8
Bayliss 4
Shipley 6
Thomas 8
Hiwula 5
Chaplin 3

Clarke Harris 7
Brown 7

I really can’t see why he dropped brown for mason whose hardly featured for weeks especially when you look at the height advantage they had.

They gave us the first half and it was obvious that would change. Hiwula was terrible really. To be fair he can score goals when provided but he just doesn’t win headers, doesn’t hold the ball or have pace. Without the assist Chaplin was worryingly anonymous.

The double over Charlton is random really and these results will probably just keep us up. The gane in Saturday will be a big indicator

Without Thomas to me we have nothing at all creatively

Otis

Burge - 6
Sterling - 8
Hyam - 7
Willis - 7
Mason - 8
Kelly - 7
Bayliss - 5 (+2 for the goal. He was woeful otherwise)
Shipley - 6
Thomas - 7
Hiwula - 6
Chaplin - 3

JCH - 7
Brown - 6

Thought Hiwula did well actually. Certainly better than JCH in recent weeks. Chaplin was woeful. JCH and Hiwula up front on Saturday for me.
Even though Chaplin provided the assist for Hiwula's goal and when JCH came on he was far too selfish and once again went for a shot from a difficult angle when players were in the box screaming for the ball to be cut back?

JCH is far too selfish at times.

Chaplin didn't have a good game, but same two on Saturday for me.

greys4life

Burge - 7 - couple of wayward kicks again but couple of cracking saves.
Sterling - 8 MOTM
Hyam - 7
Willis - 8 - gets an extra point for that tackle in the box
Mason - 7 - thought he looked pretty good going forward
Kelly - 7
Bayliss - 5 - thought he looked better than he has most of the season today
Shipley - 6 - still not sure on him in this league
Thomas - 7
Hiwula - 7 thought he looked really good first half
Chaplin - 5 worked hard today

JCH - 4 why bring him on really why?
Brown - 6

Otis

Chaplin was not as bad as 3. Sterling norm for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.

Chaplin wasn't great at all, but he did provide the cross for the first, he had a flick just past the post in the first half, the free kick tipped over the bar and though it was pretty much straight at the keeper, it was hit with such ferocity the keeper did have to make a good save.

He did also slip a very good ball through to JCH (I think) in the second half.

Not a good game at all, but certainly better than a 3 I feel.

Last edited:

stupot07

Burge 6
Sterling 8
Willis 6
Hyam 7
Mason 6
Thomas 6
Kelly 7
Bayliss 5
Shipley 6
Chaplin 5
Hiwula 6

JCH 5
Brown 6
Davies n/a

Robins 6

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

Burge - 7 - couple of wayward kicks again but couple of cracking saves.
Sterling - 8 MOTM
Hyam - 7
Willis - 8 - gets an extra point for that tackle in the box
Mason - 7 - thought he looked pretty good going forward
Kelly - 7
Bayliss - 5 - thought he looked better than he has most of the season today
Shipley - 6 - still not sure on him in this league
Thomas - 7
Hiwula - 7 thought he looked really good first half
Chaplin - 5 worked hard today

JCH - 4 why bring him on really why?
Brown - 6

Agree with most of that, but didn't think Hiwula had a good game.

pastythegreat

Burge 5.5. Made 2 really good saves but still goes missing for set pieces. Left a gaping goal for 2 corners today.
Sterling 8. MOTM. Our best outlet going forward and solid defensively today.
Mason 7.5. Same as sterling bit got caught in possession a couple of times in dodgy positions and let off the hook by poor Charlton.
Davies and Hyam. 7. Both solid enough. Both went on little Mo Konjic style runs a couple of times.
Shipley. 6. effective and steady. Nothing fancy.
Thomas 7.5 if only he could shoot.
Kelly 7. Covered a lot of ground, broke up play and worked hard. No he's fit maybe get the band back together and get him and Doyle back in the middle together.
Hiwula 7.5 (first half) 6 (second half)
Chaplin 5.5. Apart from the assist I don't see what else he offered apart from a lot of running. Would of been a 4.5 if not for the assist.

Brown. 6 linked up well with Hiwula when he came on.
JCH. 6.5 Just for hoofing that drop ball out for a goal kick.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Burge - 6 - He did make a couple of good stops but also some random decision making, shocking kicking again. Extra point for the save in the first half but still some strange positioning.
Sterling - 8 - MOTM - Both defensively and going forward was solid today, some great runs and battling to get the ball when it looked lost.
Hyam and Willis - 7 - Dealt with their strikers well, a few times in the first half where they were getting opened up.
Mason - 6 - Thought he did OK, was good at getting forward but again his height lets him down and people target it
Shipley - 5 - Not very good on corners but consistent, some good interplay with
Bayliss - 4 - Extra point for the goal, absolutely woeful in the first half. Did a good run in the second half where he laid it off to Chaplin but far too many wrong decisions, hands on hips. He hammered a pass out of play and started mouthing off at Sterling as if it was his fault for not being 25 foot. In the right place at the right time and getting in their box with a good finish.
Kelly - 7 - Thought he had a great game, glad to see him back. Broke down play a lot and did the work of 2 midfielders for all of the first half. Could see he tired a bit towards the end but didn't look out of place
Thomas - 7 - Extra point for the brave tackle at the end. He is so exciting when running with the ball but I have stopped getting up expecting things now. Wrong decisions at the end most of the time, trying to shoot when he could lay somebody in.
Hiwula - 7 - Extra point for the goal. Thought it was good seeing him up front, his movement was something we havent seen for a while and he was willing to run at defenders. Want to see it again but that touch to take the player on when he got brought down looked decent and it was a good finish.
Chaplin - 5 - Extra point for the assist and an extra point for the high press with Hiwula and closing them down but just not sure still. He isn't quick so it is misleading, still isn't that threatening going forward.

JCH - 5 - The usual JCH brought on to run the clock down, fell over a bit and won a couple of headers.
Brown - 4 - Wasn't on for that long to do much
Davies NA

christonabike

Thought Mason had a good game looks to be a player who can only get better with games. We lack an attacking edge too many balls collected by their keeper too easily. Kelly is instrumental in all our play keeps it and turns play in either direction. A good result and can only be a good thing for all of them.
The linesman who looked 6 stone had a shit game.
Pusb

Otis

Thought Mason had a good game looks to be a player who can only get better with games. We lack an attacking edge too many balls collected by their keeper too easily. Kelly is instrumental in all our play keeps it and turns play in either direction. A good result and can only be a good thing for all of them.
The linesman who looked 6 stone had a shit game.
Pusb
Yeah, too many crosses far too close to the keeper.

Their crossing was much better and more dangerous.

covcity4life

Certainly don't think Chaplin was as bad as some are making out.
Think many watching it as a team who r on a horredusly bad run rather than looking at the performance in isolation perhaps

Its easier to get annoyed at a bad pass when u r alreadybfrustrated etc

CCFCSteve

Thought Chaplin did well myself

Sterling motm

Thank you ! Some sense at last.

What do people expect of him FFS ?! He had a shot tipped over, a half chance just wide, slipped in JCH, set up the goal and worked his arse off. Certainly not his best game but did his job today.

He’s a goalscorer that gets no service. Thomas, who I’m a massive fan of, never puts in an early ball and the crossing from the other side was (has been) pretty poor. Look at the quality of his delivery/crosses (3 assists against Chalton this season), he’d thrive off similar service ie quick, early balls.

Blind (don’t really understand the game/certain players strengths) or blinkered (have decided he’s now there boo boy) fans are just pissing me off today so I will leave the thread.

Ps Fortunately, these are the same fans that were probably berating McNutlty at the start of last season, wanted to send sterling back to chelsea after 5 games, thought (£10m) Murphy wasn’t good enough for us when he was here on loan and wrote off biamou by Christmas ie haven’t got a clue !

covcity4life

What do people expect of him FFS ?! He had a shot tipped over, a half chance just wide, slipped in JCH, set up the goal and worked his arse off. Certainly not his best game but did his job today.

He’s a goalscorer that gets no service. Thomas, who I’m a massive fan of, never puts in an early ball and the crossing from the other side was (has been) pretty poor. Look at the quality of his delivery/crosses (3 assists against Chalton this season), he’d thrive off similar service ie quick, early balls.

Blind (don’t really understand the game/certain players strengths) or blinkered (have decided he’s now there boo boy) fans are just pissing me off today so I will leave the thread.

Ps Fortunately, these are the same fans that were probably berating McNutlty at the start of last season, wanted to send sterling back to chelsea after 5 games, thought (£10m) Murphy wasn’t good enough for us when he was here on loan and wrote off biamou by Christmas ie haven’t got a clue !
I lije your aggressive post. You remind me of me!

Ccfcsteve is also always right!

Nick

Administrator

Chaplin has been shocking for a fair few games but got an assist today so improved.

First half he was more advanced, not sure he's what we need. If we had a different partner other than jch for hiwula I'd play them.

Oh, I've never slated sterling and didn't McNulty or biamou.

What exactly is Chaplin's strength? He's not a goal scorer, he's not a target man, he's not that quick.

If his strength is crossing, why not play him out on the left?

CCFCSteve

Chaplin has been shocking for a fair few games but got an assist today so improved.

First half he was more advanced, not sure he's what we need. If we had a different partner other than jch for hiwula I'd play them.

Oh, I've never slated sterling and didn't McNulty or biamou.

What exactly is Chaplin's strength? He's not a goal scorer, he's not a target man, he's not that quick.

If his strength is crossing, why not play him out on the left?

Im not just talking about you nick. Gendel gave him a 3, which is ridiculous and then what you get up the city is everyone else jumping on the bandwagon and not even recognising some of the good stuff certain players do

I do think he’s a goalscorer and by all accounts is by far the best finisher at the club. Just because a 21 year old lad is snatching at some chances (probably as he’s desperate to impress) doesn’t mean he’s not a goalscorer

Ps sorry for calling you a moany c*nt after the bayliss goal. Unnecessary but these are kids, doing their best in a workmanlike team. Getting on their backs is only going to have one affect on most and comments about taking bayliss off (not long before the goal) for anyone/nobody, wound me up

Grendel

Ok so if there is a get out clause would you still pay 500 grand for Chaplin or look elsewhere?

I certainly never berated mcnulty,Murphy I defended and have always rated sterling so go on what’s he worth?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Burge - 7 Good save and looked generally assured.
Sterling - 8 MOTM for me, defended well and got forward to good effect fairly regularly.
Hyam - 7 Generally defended well
Willis - 7 Generally coped well on a tough day looking after their number 9. Redeemed himself instantly with that tackle having looked to play him through.
Mason - 6 Thought he did ok and looked to get forward pretty often.
Kelly - 7 Did his job well, no real fireworks and no real f**kups either.
Bayliss - 6 Quite poor for much of the game, extra point for the well taken goal.
Thomas - 7 Defenders look terrified of him at this level, if he could just develop and end product he'd be some player. Hope he isn't badly hurt.
Shipley - 6 Did ok but I'm not convinced by him as a left winger.
Hiwula - 6 Good run which nearly resulted in a penalty and scored. Would have been a 7 had he not been anonymous for large periods.
Chaplin - 6 Worked very hard, tested the keeper and set up the goal. I'd like to see him getting into scoring positions more but he's so deep much of time.

JCH - 6
Brown - 6
Davies - N/A

I thought we just about deserved the win today and was so pleased to see us take chances to do so. There have been way too many games where we haven't and have dropped points. We have the basis of a good side here if we can add a couple of extra quality players in certain positions.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Burge 5.5 - made a good save, distribution shocking, looked very ropey on crosses

Sterling 9 - absolutely class. Didn’t put a foot wrong

Hyam 7 - good on the ball and read play well

Willis 7 - similar to Hyam

Mason 6.5 - after a fairly lengthy spell on the sidelines he slotted in seamlessly

Thomas 7 - constant threat but final ball / shot was lacking. Hope he’s alright

Bayliss 5.5 - had good moments and dreadful moments, got the winner when it mattered

Kelly 6 - set pieces were tragic. We look better balanced with him in the side than Doyle

Shipley 5.5 - thought he was okay. Better than he was recently but fitness is worrying

Hiwula 6.5 - actually thought he did well today and put himself about a lot and deserved his goal for his work rate

Chaplin 5 - very meh, was okay, but doesn’t get involved anywhere near enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Im not just talking about you nick. Gendel gave him a 3, which is ridiculous and then what you get up the city is everyone else jumping on the bandwagon and not even recognising some of the good stuff certain players do

I do think he’s a goalscorer and by all accounts is by far the best finisher at the club. Just because a 21 year old lad is snatching at some chances (probably as he’s desperate to impress) doesn’t mean he’s not a goalscorer

Ps sorry for calling you a moany c*nt after the bayliss goal. Unnecessary but these are kids, doing their best in a workmanlike team. Getting on their backs is only going to have one affect on most and comments about taking bayliss off (not long before the goal) for anyone/nobody, wound me up
These are footballers. I comment on them game by game, if they are playing well I say they are playing well. If they aren't I say they aren't.

Why is pointing out that somebody was having a shocking game making you angry?

CCFCSteve

Ok so if there is a get out clause would you still pay 500 grand for Chaplin or look elsewhere?

I certainly never berated mcnulty,Murphy I defended and have always rated sterling so go on what’s he worth?

I don’t decide the cost of players (nor do they), managers and the market do. Are there loads of goalscorers available for £500k, I don’t know.

If we aren’t going to play to his strengths then you could be right, but yes, I would keep him. The price tag is partly because Portsmouth knew we were desperate and partly for potential...he’s 21 (as I may have mentioned previously !!!). I’m not going to hold his cost against him.

Robins should know a goalscorer when he sees one so I’ll bow to his judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread