Player Ratings (4 Viewers)

FRY-CCFC

Can we all learn how to spell his name. CONOR.

Chez78

He doesn't get a chance to affect the game as both forwards get very little service, what he does do well is hold the ball up. Just seemed like a standard Thomas performance first half, and he was absolutely shocking second.

Rubbish mate, you are even trying to blame his performance on Conor Thomas Tudgay had a shocker end off. As for your hatred for Thomas that's your opinion which your entitled to, but actually watch the game again and you'll see your wrong on this occasion.

FRY-CCFC

Rubbish mate, you are even trying to blame his performance on Conor Thomas Tudgay had a shocker end off. As for your hatred for Thomas that's your opinion which your entitled to, but actually watch the game again and you'll see your wrong on this occasion.

Now, listen carefully, the ball is played in to tudgay, he holds it up well every time, lays it back to Thomas as no one else is making runs around him due to the formation, Thomas panics, turns sideways or backwards and we recycle play. That or he loses the ball due to dallying on it. He is a very poor player who is carried through games by Fleck and O'Brien (who were outstanding yesterday) and only inhibits our attacking play.

You may say, he does the dirty work, but, he is the biggest light weight in our team and shirks tackles repeatedly. A moment summed him up beautifully when he had the ball, took too long to release it and was pushed off the ball by a player half his size. This all nearly culminated in a goal for Gillingham but luckily, they weren't as clinical as other teams in this league who punish us.

Ian1779

Stand out players last night were Fleck, Haynes and O'Brien. Any of them would have deserved man of the match. Everyone else had a solid game apart from Allsop who looked nervous (he needs to talk to his defenders more) and Tudgay who I thought could and should have done more. Thomas did very well in the first 60 mins, and I do agree that although it looks like he plays ugly, that work he does frees up Fleck and O'Brien.

I was sitting in Block 36 and when Fleck had that shot, I was disappointed that there was no-one taking a gamble following it in. It was in the air for a long time and could have been a simple tap in if someone had gone with it.

There was a move in the 2nd half when O'Brien made a gut busting run and got on the end of a cross-field ball. Brilliant vision and pass shame he didn't put it away. Add that to the Thomas chance in 1st half (which after seeing again on TV he should have squared it) and we play some very good football.

One other thing was that I felt a bit frustrated with Pressley in terms of the substitutions last night. You could see we were tiring badly and he seemed to take an age to change it up. I think leaving it so late to bring on fresh legs could cost us in the future.

Rusty Trombone

Allsop - 6 Had little to do
Willis - 8 excellent defensive display with no errors
Webster 8 same as Willis - really impressed compared to when I saw him last season
Johnson 7 A good performance but some wayward distribution
Clarke - 6 OK defensively but not a natural wing back
Haynes 7 Opposite to Clarke - good as an attacking wing back but will have to improve defensively
O Brien 7 First time I have seen him play. Great work rate and some good touches
Fleck 7 Would have been a better rating but many passes were misplaced. Much better fitness levels though
Thomas 6 His stats will always look good as his pass ratio is high but he is not adventurous at all. He has played a lot of games now and still seems to have the same issues going forward and making things happen - reminds me of Willie Boland or those of an older age Steve Jacobs - an enigma to me
Tudgay - 5 Worked hard but nothing went his way
Nouble - 7 Not match fit but looks a good forward option

McQuid - 6 Stuggled to get into the game

Agree with all of this.

Some great runs from O'Brien, wasn't always played in, or the pass wasn't good enough. Thomas tired like many did, but I thought he was ok, not sure who we've got to play instead of him.

Skyblueloyal

Would agree with all of the ratings by CCFC Charlie except Allsop got my doubts he's what we need in a keeper not commanding enough for me also very disappointed in Tudgay so only a 4 but other than that spot on

speedie87

Allsop 6 - kept a clean sheet but is really slow on his feet which seems to get him into a mess on occasions and doesn't inspire much confidence
Haynes - 8 great first half, is still caught out in defence a lot but can't fault him going forward, we should have fed him more 2nd half
Clarke 7 - ok defensivly but doesn't offer a lot going forward
Willis - 7 seems to be winning everything in the air, keeps it simple on the ball and has a bit of pace
Webster 7 - didn't have much to do, but did it well
Reda 7 - great in the air and covers well for haynes, his lack of pace does concern me
Fleck - 8 - usual class self
O'Brien 8 - made a lot of good runs first half that weren't seen
Thomas 7- great off the ball covered a lot of ground made a lot of good runs making runs for others - was knackered ten mins before he came off
Tudgay - 5 didn't have a great game, looked very tired second half and couldn't make any runs which were required when we were on the break - concerns me he seems to go through games without ever having a shot!
Nouble 7 - took the goal well and had a bit about him

Grendel

It's pathetic the grief he gets, people seem to think cause he went on trial to Liverpool we should have the next garza on our hands. He put a solid shift in last night took a booking for the team at the right time his only big error was taking the shot instead of setting up Tudgay, shock horror Cov Lad playing for the team he follows goes for glory in sell out.

Thomas is now experienced playing close on to 100 league games. His style is, like it or not, limited.

I would expect his passing accuracy ratio yesterday was far better than Fleck but his range is limited. There is very little forward movement and once in an advanced position he looks struggling.

I agree a four out of ten is not an accurate reflection but he is always going to have mediocre ratings as he plays a very cautious safe game.

The other problem is he is part of a midfield which will contribute woefully in contributing goals. We have no prolific scorers now so need some some support from other areas. He won't provide any and fleck and O Brian will offer little either. They, however, are better players than he is.

Sutty

To be fair, Thomas played arguably the pass of the game to O'Brien towards the end. It wasn't the pass of a guy with limited passing range.

Grendel

To be fair, Thomas played arguably the pass of the game to O'Brien towards the end. It wasn't the pass of a guy with limited passing range.

Even Michael Doyle occasionally managed a thirty yard cross field pass successfully - he was still very limited.

CCFC_Charlie

Thomas can just be so lethargic with the ball, like there is a real lack of urgency from him to move the ball forward or make a positive pass. Seeing as he's from the city and has come through our academy there is nothing I'd want more than for him to come good and be a leading player in this team but he's just missing something at the moment. There is a hesitancy to his game which catches him out often but then when he makes quick thinking decisions we get examples like that tame shot into the keepers hand while he had a man over in space to lay it off to.

Also, what is it that people see in Allsop that make him so bad? He looks a very capable shot stopper and he's now kept 3 clean sheets in 6 games this season. Is it purely because he isn't our player or that he's replacing Murphy or am I missing something? From what I've seen from both Allsop and Burge this season I'd rather have Allsop.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It was a great pass I agree but how many of them have we seen him play over his Coventry career? I said yesterday I didn't even know he was capable of such a pass. If he can start pinging a couple of them every game then that will go a far way to changing peoples opinions of him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thomas can just be so lethargic with the ball, like there is a real lack of urgency from him to move the ball forward or make a positive pass. Seeing as he's from the city and has come through our academy there is nothing I'd want more than for him to come good and be a leading player in this team but he's just missing something at the moment. There is a hesitancy to his game which catches him out often but then when he makes quick thinking decisions we get examples like that tame shot into the keepers hand while he had a man over in space to lay it off to.

Also, what is it that people see in Allsop that make him so bad? He looks a very capable shot stopper and he's now kept 3 clean sheets in 6 games this season. Is it purely because he isn't our player or that he's replacing Murphy or am I missing something? From what I've seen from both Allsop and Burge this season I'd rather have Allsop.
He's slow off his line from what I've seen. When I've seen him play some balls played in behind the defence should be easy pickings for the keeper but the defender have to nearly scream at him for him to come and collect it. Example yesterday in the first half where the Gillingham player beat him to the ball but could only knock it out for a goal kick, looked to me as if it should be comfortably his ball.

His shot stopping and handling seems to be good, his distribution is sketchy.

stupot07

It was a great pass I agree but how many of them have we seen him play over his Coventry career? I said yesterday I didn't even know he was capable of such a pass. If he can start pinging a couple of them every game then that will go a far way to changing peoples opinions of him.

Very true, but this thread is about his performance in one particular game, and a fair few have judged him with prejudice.

I watched the whole game back this morning. His performance was worthy of a 7, he was excellent for for the most part, just dipped from 70 minute when he started losing the ball, which was obviously fatigue. Plenty of forward passes, plenty of one touch quick passing, plenty of spreading ball out wide, lots of forward runs, good movement creating space, and covering spaces left by o'brien and fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Very true, but this thread is about his performance in one particular game, and a fair few have judged him with prejudice.

I watched the whole game back this morning. His performance was worthy of a 7, he was excellent for for the most part, just dipped from 70 minute when he started losing the ball, which was obviously fatigue. Plenty of forward passes, plenty of one touch quick passing, plenty of spreading ball out wide, lots of forward runs, good movement creating space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I agree, it was a good performance. It's down to the player now to put in the same type of performance every week now.

LJC_CCFC

Wolves played a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 most of last year, its why Clarke had such a hard time getting in the team as Dicko was always selected ahead of him

Yeah wasn't saying they used 4-4-2 (Although they did initially before they sold Leigh Griffiths), but their main tactic/style of play last season was having Sako on one wing and Henry or Jacobs on the other. They would get the ball out wide as much as they could, use their overlapping full backs and supply ball after ball into Dicko and Kevin McDonald who would arrive late from the CAM position. Nothing special to their play, (i.e possession football etc) but in a league where 80% of the teams possess very little quality (Both going forward and especially defensively) getting your players into advanced positions and putting the ball into dangerous areas, will (with the decent forwards which we have) result in goals. Look back over our previous games, Tudgay and McQuoid get very few actual goal scoring opportunities. All their work is done outside of the box with their backs to goal, we must be down the bottom of the chance creation tables as it stands.

Grendel

I watched the whole game back this morning. His performance was worthy of a 7, he was excellent for for the most part, just dipped from 70 minute when he started losing the ball, which was obviously fatigue. Plenty of forward passes, plenty of one touch quick passing, plenty of spreading ball out wide, lots of forward runs, good movement creating space, and covering spaces left by o'brien and fleck.

I think a fair few have judged Allsopp with prejudice.

stupot07

A return to 442 would see us start shipping loads of goals again, our defence and midfield aren't good enough to play 442, and I have little faith that our strikers will start scoring at the rate of Wilson and Clarke. Just look at the back end of last season, with 2 strikers now playing in the league above.

3 cleansheets in 6 league games is the way you start climbing the table. Only Newcastle in the capita cup had stopped gillingham from scoring.

This is a new formation and will take time to click properly.

Users who are viewing this thread