haynes 7- looks a real talent
clarke 6- decent
o'brien 7- good footballer, key player
fleck 7- steady
thomas 6- looks a bit lost at times

nouble 7- promising debut
tudgay 5- real off day

covboy9

very worried about our pressing game, we can't do it for 90mins we literally ran out of gas as a team and were lucky to win, jury is out on 3-5-2 for me. Also our keep ball when under pressure was very poor

oxymoron

i think we got punished a little at the end for not having any midfield options on the bench. no daniels or swanson meant that we couldn't change the midfield at all.

WestEndAgro

very worried about our pressing game, we can't do it for 90mins we literally ran out of gas as a team and were lucky to win, jury is out on 3-5-2 for me. Also our keep ball when under pressure was very poor

The "press" was exceptional for the first 30 - 40 minutes , Gills didn't get a second on the ball.
then quite rightly like you said we couldn't maintain it, perhaps this is where we can make better use of substitutions to maintain the pressure ?

Alsopp - 7.5 - Didn't have a great deal to go but did it very well. Kept Gillingham at bay when we needed him
Clarke - 7 - A few uncertain moments, but a big improvement on last season
Willis - 8 - Probably up there with Haynes as our best prospect. Very solid performance. Got the ball away when asked
Webster - 7 - Again, a good solid performance
Johnson - 7 - Big man, just what we need. Never gets beaten in the air, used his strength to hold the strikers off
Haynes 9 - MOM, no wonder Pugh cant get a look in. Brilliant runs down the left side, fantastic cross for the goal. Keep it up lad
Fleck - 8 - Stamina has defo improved. Never stopped running. Held the ball up well. Some good passing too
Thomas - 6.5 - Not a bad performance by any means. Disapointed with that tame shot on goal, but he did well
O'Brien 7.5 - Unsung hero. Like Fleck, never stopped. Created a lot in the centre but needed options to pull it off. Cant fault him
Tudgay - 7.5 - Excellent 1st touch, created some great attacks. Final pass and shooting needs some work but could be a great addition to our team
Nouble - 7.5 - Impressive. Proved me wrong. Good finish for the goal, looked menacing in the 1st half

Subs
McQuoid - Got involved with some attempts at running on goal
Hines - Why was he pushing forward so much? Reminds me of Keogh
Finch - Some good tackles towards the end, helping us hold off the attacks late on

Atmosphere - 10! Great job lads! I never stopped singing and clapping! The best atmosphere I've ever been a part of. Keep it up next Saturday!

theferret

Decent, solid performance last night, but worried about a lack of pace. Didn't get behind them much all night, and when they were pressing towards the end you never really felt that we would hit them on the break. Hopefully Jackson will give us that bit of pace we are lacking. Real shame we couldn't have held on to Wilson a bit longer...

covboy9

The "press" was exceptional for the first 30 - 40 minutes , Gills didn't get a second on the ball.
then quite rightly like you said we couldn't maintain it, perhaps this is where we can make better use of substitutions to maintain the pressure ?

i'm hoping it was just over enthusiasm, but LVG has had UTD doing this recently and theyve died late in games too! i think a switch in formation is needed when we don't have the midfielders on the bench to keep it going

covboy9

i've seen gillingham play quite a bit, they are usually garbage, they really used the atmosphere to there advantage and finishing aside were excellent, id take their winger mcglashen

lewys33

went to Bradford and of course last night! So based on those 2 games:

I really don't rate Allsop at all. No communication and lacks confidence.

Tudgay has also been very poor neither game did he really do anything.

Connor Thomas is also woeful.

Apart from that all good :) the players rose to the occasion perfectly!

Haynes is a really good little player. Still has odd "youngster" moments but he has come on leaps and bounds (remember his 1st game at the Ricoh when he threw up?)

FRY-CCFC

i've seen gillingham play quite a bit, they are usually garbage, they really used the atmosphere to there advantage and finishing aside were excellent, id take their winger mcglashen

You clearly have no idea what you're in about. In the other thread you suggested we play Jackson RW. Gillingham aren't garbage

FRY-CCFC

gillingham are a lower mid table side at best

Yes but they aren't woeful. They have several good players such as Bradley Dack and Hessenthaler in midfield who I would have in our squad. McDonald is a proven goal score at this level and they have several promising youngsters. They are far from woeful.

WestEndAgro

Mcglashen looked very good, blistering pace and a real handful , haven't we got a speed merchant in Coulaby currently injured apologies for the spelling.

LJC_CCFC

Allsop 6 - Made one good save from the angle, the lad is slowing building in confidence as he gets use to playing week in week out.

Clarke 6 - Solid defensively for the most, however as we've already seen this season he isn't a right wing back and offers us nothing going forward. The wing back in a 5-3-2 is key to the teams attacking prowess, with Clarke we don't have any and this is to the detriment of the team.

Willis 7 - Solid.

Webster 7 - For once rather solid.

Reda 8 - You won't find a better centre half at this level, which makes me all the more convinced that we could play 4-4-2 now and still be defensively solid with a Reda and Hines/Willis pairing.

Haynes 7 - The lad has some potential, however although he swung in a few decent balls and set up the goal, as a wing back he needs to be getting forward more and attacking his man a hell of a lot more for the system to work.

O'Brien 7 - Getting better every time I see him, always looking to turn and go forward with the ball.

Thomas 4 - Goes sideways, backwards but never forward. Awful player, absolutely awful.

Fleck 7 - Superb tonight in everything he did, needs to be afforded more options going forward so we can really utilise his creativity.

Tudgay 6 - So isolated in the formation, great at holding the ball up but he gets literally no support and ends up going backwards.

Nouble 6 - See Tudgay plus decent finish for the goal.

It was a much needed win, however yet again I'm not convinced with the formation. I had a mate from uni with me at the game who played for Norwich at all academy levels and plays a decent level of non-league football. Like me he thought it was a scrappy 1-0 win in which there wasn't much to rave about like some seem to be. He was also perplexed at how we were set up, saying that you aren't going to get much change out of that performance for the rest of the season as the same things will keep happening. That the ball will go into the strikers who then have to rely on their ability to beat 2/3 men in and around them or they will either lose the ball or play it backwards. That when the strikers get the ball they need a CAM or full back going beyond to make the system work, which didn't happen tonight. We try and play short from the back but the ball just ends up going back and forth between the back five and midfield three, until someone either attempts to play a through ball through the eye of a needle or we go back to the centre half/keeper who hoofs it up the pitch and we lose possession

How many times did O'Brien or Fleck turnover the ball, run forward and yet have no one to play a forward ball too. We afforded Gillingham far too much easy possession, granted they didn't do much with it (mainly due to Kedwell missing who would have given our defenders a battle) but better teams in this league will punish us.

This is a play-off squad we have and we could easily be beating teams 2/3/4-0 if we set up in a more creative system. At the moment we create 2/3 chances a game, the strikers don't get service and the defence have to deal with huge amounts of pressure which can't be sustained over a season.

Overall it was a great occasion and a solid win, however a bit of realism from some is needed. If we continue to play this way we WILL come unstuck and I can't see us going up. I also saw people on twitter absolutely creaming themselves over Haynes, some calling Pressley the messiah and others lauding a fantastic performance. We need to come down off from this overhype/overly critical stance many seem to take, some can't see for looking and need (like Pressley will no doubt be telling his players) to take one game at a time.

Next game versus Yeovil

Allsop

Phillips Hines Johnson Haynes

O'Brien Swanson Fleck Coulibaly

Nouble Jackson

Pace, power and creativity, (Whilst being defensively solid) Wolves did it last year, nothing special 4-4-2 get the ball to the wingers who constantly supply good forwards who score goals who win games of football convincingly.

Grendel

Allsop - 6 Had little to do
Willis - 8 excellent defensive display with no errors
Webster 8 same as Willis - really impressed compared to when I saw him last season
Johnson 7 A good performance but some wayward distribution
Clarke - 6 OK defensively but not a natural wing back
Haynes 7 Opposite to Clarke - good as an attacking wing back but will have to improve defensively
O Brien 7 First time I have seen him play. Great work rate and some good touches
Fleck 7 Would have been a better rating but many passes were misplaced. Much better fitness levels though
Thomas 6 His stats will always look good as his pass ratio is high but he is not adventurous at all. He has played a lot of games now and still seems to have the same issues going forward and making things happen - reminds me of Willie Boland or those of an older age Steve Jacobs - an enigma to me
Tudgay - 5 Worked hard but nothing went his way
Nouble - 7 Not match fit but looks a good forward option

McQuid - 6 Stuggled to get into the game

BackRoomRummermill

I must say watching the game I thought Thomas was lacking a little, the Keeper Allsop gave me some concern.The rest OK , Tuday did some neat touches and runs until he lost pace, he will come good when fully fit so it might be best not to do a Mc Wank on him yet

CTID

Too hung over for a full write up but had to say something...

Johnson - don't understand peoples low ratings. Absolute beast! Maybe a few wayward passes but he wasn't the only one. Looks like a great centre back at this level.

Fleck - good game agreed, but his distribution is very poor. Wouldn't have complained about that if that shot had gone in mind!

Haynes - every time i see him he is better. Don't remember the last time I saw a city player put balls like that in consistently! Very impressed.

O'brien - very impressed! My MOM don't remember him doing anything wrong.

Thomas - not a fan. Don't think he is good enough but put the effort in first half. Looked shattered second half

Tudgay - gave up after about 60 mins. A hungry striker would have had a number of 1 on 1s if he just made a run! Very frustrating to watch! Hope he is just lacking match fitness but not impressed at all after last night. Nothing to do with chances or formation, he just lacked the energy and willingness to make a run!

Everyone else I think did their job, yes we almost hit the self destruct button but don't we always? Good performance and amazing occasion!

Fans....11/10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woody11462

Allsop : 7. Only negative was the low cross across the six yard area.
Willis : 8. Looks very solid and mobile, high hopes for him to push on this year.
Webster : 7. Did well, didn't put a foot wrong and won his duals.
Johnson : 6. Decent performance but distribution sometimes a little loose.
Clarke : 7. Played well defensively and seems to pop up in their box for attacking moves but not much comes down that right hand side.
Haynes : 8. Real attacking threat, if he had real pace he'd be perfect. Great delivery but did fade in the second half.
Fleck : 7. Great energy from him and played some decent football too.
Thomas : 6. Did the basics well but seemed a little off the pace second half. Don't know if he doesn't get a shout of 'man on' or doesn't hear it but getting caught on the ball too often.
O'Brien : 7. Makes some excellent late runs into the box that aren't picked up and good energy.
Nouble : 7. Took the goal very well and soon ran out of steam but with match fitness could be a good acquisition once he looses the rustiness that he sometimes showed. Adds a new dimension to the forward line.
Tudgay : 6. Not his best game but kept trying. Looked very tired toward the end.

Subs were all 6, think McQuoid seems to look a lot more confident on the ball now, goals have done him good.

Chez78

Allsop - 7 - Did what was asked of him, and was hardly tested. Decent close range save in the second half.
Clarke - 7 - Not convinced about him going forward but he did we defensively, especially under pressure.
Willis - 8 - Looks an good centre back in the making, solid defensively.
Webster - 7 - Decent, did his job. We kept a clean sheet so all the defence did their job today.
Johnson - 7 - Can look a bit of a donkey at time but he wins everything in the air. Valuable at set pieces.
Haynes - 8 - Excellent first half, did very well for the goal and always in space. Gillingham seemed to adapt their game plan a bit in the second half to combat him and he got less of the play but still a very good performance.
Fleck - 8 - Is he even the same fat lad we signed from Rangers? Never stopped running, and controlled a lot of our play.
Thomas - 5 - Disappointing, while I appreciate the tidiness of his play there is a certain lethargy that frustrates. He just seems to take a second too long thinking about every pass and then when he acts instinctively we get that tame shot right at the goalkeeper.
O'Brien - 7 - A lot of running, and a lot of good runs in attacking positions that weren't picked up. Finishing could be improved.
Tudgay - 5 - Also disappointing, just seemed to be missing something. I thought he was decent against MK Dons with a lot less support but tonight he didn't ever really get into the game.
Nouble - 7 - Did the one thing asked of him and scored.

McQuoid - 5 - A lot of running and flicks but not much else. Wasn't helped by our lack of urgency in the last 15 minutes.
Hines - N/A
Finch - N/A

5 for Thomas?????? Your having a laugh fella, yes he faded a little towards the end and for that I'd give him seven otherwise first half was as good as I've seen him play in a while.

stupot07

Thomas 4 - Goes sideways, backwards but never forward. Awful player, absolutely awful.

What absolute tosh. Has he shagged your missus or something?

I've just watched back the first half, which confirmed my view from last night that Thomas was excellent first half. He played numerous forward passes in that half including putting nouble through which was well defended, the goal where he controlled and did a nice forwards cushioned volley to o'brien, not to mention several forward passes to the strikers feet, oh and the 50 yard pint point pass over the defence to o'brien before he went off. In fact I was surprised at how positive he was possession, the half time highlights showed Thomas was involved in everything positive we did in the first half.

He dropped off second half and had a poor 5-10 spell where he gave the ball away obviously knackered and should have been subbed before that. But you're criticism is just bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

5 for Thomas?????? Your having a laugh fella, yes he faded a little towards the end and for that I'd give him seven otherwise first half was as good as I've seen him play in a while.

Someone's just given him a 4!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Chez78

Isn't it great to be talking about football rather than court cases, finances, legal matters, fairycastle stadiums etc. For what its worth I thought there were 11 heroes on the pitch but more importantly 28,000 off it. But just to keep the talk football related:
Allsopp - 6 - had little to do and what he did he didn't do well. Doesn't command his box and almost cost a goal at the end but hey a clean sheet is a clean sheet
Clarke - 7 - worked hard, covered up and down the line brilliantly, great defensively supporting Willis not so effective going forward
Willis - 8 - A real star in the making, tough, cool, reads game well - great effort
Webster - 7 - No nonsense display - if it need to be in row z then thats where it goes. Looks much better with Reda along side him
Johnson - 8 - Imagine opponents are knackered just trying to run round him! Not the quickest but didn't miss a header and lead by example
Haynes - 8 - Brilliant first half going forward, couple of superb crosses, always willing to go forward, defensively still has a lot to learn but a potential star
Thomas - 7 - Great first half, always the one making runs into the box from midfield, worked his socks off, some brilliant cross field passes Starting to look like the player we always thought he could be
Fleck - 8 - Great all round display, better fitness = better performance on pitch - football is a simple game! Could have had goal of the season!
O'Brien - 7 - covered every blade of grass and non grass on the pitch - all action display.
Tudgay - 5 - tried and tried but it was one of those nights where his second touch was usually a tackle. Simply not his night
Nouble - 7 - Held ball up well, linked with midfield, took his goal with class - surprised it was him who was subbed and not Tudgay but maybe he was knackered
Fans - 10.5 - What an emotional night full of smiles, hope and expectation. Great noise all night

At last someone who actually watched the same game as me, the hate Connor Thomas gets on here is ridiculous. Last night Tudgay was full on shocking for a lad of his experience and ability he should be tearing this league up, first time I've seen him play so will put it down to a bad day at the office. All the rest I agree with and considering how vocal I am about Webster I thought he was superb last night.

LJC_CCFC

What absolute tosh. Has he shagged your missus or something?

I've just watched back the first half, which confirmed my view from last night that Thomas was excellent first half. He played numerous forward passes in that half including putting nouble through which was well defended, the goal where he controlled and did a nice forwards cushioned volley to o'brien, not to mention several forward passes to the strikers feet, oh and the 50 yard pint point pass over the defence to o'brien before he went off. In fact I was surprised at how positive he was possession, the half time highlights showed Thomas was involved in everything positive we did in the first half.

He dropped off second half and had a poor 5-10 spell where he gave the ball away obviously knackered and should have been subbed before that. But you're criticism is just bizarre.

I'll have a rewatch later and get back to you, he definitely had a stinker second half,

SkyBlue_Bear83

Allsop 6 - Made one good save from the angle, the lad is slowing building in confidence as he gets use to playing week in week out.

Clarke 6 - Solid defensively for the most, however as we've already seen this season he isn't a right wing back and offers us nothing going forward. The wing back in a 5-3-2 is key to the teams attacking prowess, with Clarke we don't have any and this is to the detriment of the team.

Willis 7 - Solid.

Webster 7 - For once rather solid.

Reda 8 - You won't find a better centre half at this level, which makes me all the more convinced that we could play 4-4-2 now and still be defensively solid with a Reda and Hines/Willis pairing.

Haynes 7 - The lad has some potential, however although he swung in a few decent balls and set up the goal, as a wing back he needs to be getting forward more and attacking his man a hell of a lot more for the system to work.

O'Brien 7 - Getting better every time I see him, always looking to turn and go forward with the ball.

Fleck 7 - Superb tonight in everything he did, needs to be afforded more options going forward so we can really utilise his creativity.

Tudgay 6 - So isolated in the formation, great at holding the ball up but he gets literally no support and ends up going backwards.

Nouble 6 - See Tudgay plus decent finish for the goal.

It was a much needed win, however yet again I'm not convinced with the formation. I had a mate from uni with me at the game who played for Norwich at all academy levels and plays a decent level of non-league football. Like me he thought it was a scrappy 1-0 win in which there wasn't much to rave about like some seem to be. He was also perplexed at how we were set up, saying that you aren't going to get much change out of that performance for the rest of the season as the same things will keep happening. That the ball will go into the strikers who then have to rely on their ability to beat 2/3 men in and around them or they will either lose the ball or play it backwards. That when the strikers get the ball they need a CAM or full back going beyond to make the system work, which didn't happen tonight. We try and play short from the back but the ball just ends up going back and forth between the back five and midfield three, until someone either attempts to play a through ball through the eye of a needle or we go back to the centre half/keeper who hoofs it up the pitch and we lose possession

How many times did O'Brien or Fleck turnover the ball, run forward and yet have no one to play a forward ball too. We afforded Gillingham far too much easy possession, granted they didn't do much with it (mainly due to Kedwell missing who would have given our defenders a battle) but better teams in this league will punish us.

This is a play-off squad we have and we could easily be beating teams 2/3/4-0 if we set up in a more creative system. At the moment we create 2/3 chances a game, the strikers don't get service and the defence have to deal with huge amounts of pressure which can't be sustained over a season.

Overall it was a great occasion and a solid win, however a bit of realism from some is needed. If we continue to play this way we WILL come unstuck and I can't see us going up. I also saw people on twitter absolutely creaming themselves over Haynes, some calling Pressley the messiah and others lauding a fantastic performance. We need to come down off from this overhype/overly critical stance many seem to take, some can't see for looking and need (like Pressley will no doubt be telling his players) to take one game at a time.

Next game versus Yeovil

Allsop

Phillips Hines Johnson Haynes

O'Brien Swanson Fleck Coulibaly

Nouble Jackson

Pace, power and creativity, (Whilst being defensively solid) Wolves did it last year, nothing special 4-4-2 get the ball to the wingers who constantly supply good forwards who score goals who win games of football convincingly.

Wolves played a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 most of last year, its why Clarke had such a hard time getting in the team as Dicko was always selected ahead of him

Chez78

Someone's just given him a 4!!

It's pathetic the grief he gets, people seem to think cause he went on trial to Liverpool we should have the next garza on our hands. He put a solid shift in last night took a booking for the team at the right time his only big error was taking the shot instead of setting up Tudgay, shock horror Cov Lad playing for the team he follows goes for glory in sell out.

Chez78

I'll have a rewatch later and get back to you, he definitely had a stinker second half,

I would if I was you considering you actually think Tudgay has contributed more to the teams performance than Conor Thomas he was by far the worst city player on the pitch.

Chez78

On a different note the big black lad at the back for them was a solid defender and if we get the chance I wouldn't be sorry to see him in a city shirt, hopefully wolves will give him a chance.

LJC_CCFC

I would if I was you considering you actually think Tudgay has contributed more to the teams performance than Conor Thomas he was by far the worst city player on the pitch.

He doesn't get a chance to affect the game as both forwards get very little service, what he does do well is hold the ball up. Just seemed like a standard Thomas performance first half, and he was absolutely shocking second.

1966skyblue

Connor thomas was outstanding for 60 mins. Whoever gave a 4 must be mad. Watched it when I got home fleck and O'Brien wouldn't have been as effective without the work thomas did. We had 2 or 3 brilliant 1 touch moves and thomas was linking the midfield.

woody11462

One thing I will add and it's a major frustration is that we seem to have to work so hard to create our chances. But we seem to give away chances far too easily. A lot if needless corners yesterday and loss of possession in deep areas. But I suppose if you want to play football Pressley's way at league 1 level there will be some mistakes.

covcity4life

Allsop 6 - doesn't come out at all

Hayes - 8 amazing attacking, gives too much time when defending tho

Clarke 7 - played well defebsivly and didn't react when baited to get sent off

Willis - 8 won everything it seemed and hounded down people as they closed in on box. Some nice passes to advances midfielsers too

Webster - 8 a very reassuring presence

Johnson - 8 so so strong and passed well last night

Fleck 9 - made stuff happen all over pitch with his passing. But impressed eithbfitness. Pressed well and charged forward swithbthe ball too. Takes responsibility

O'Brien - 8 some brilliant runs and just works so hard for the team. Good on and off the ball

Thomas - 7 much improved performance from conner IMO. Looked assured in possession.

Tudgay - 6 pressed hard but that's about it.

Nouble - 7 held up ball well, nice touches and brilliant finish. If didn't tire would be an 8 too

Users who are viewing this thread