Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Walker I have to say did disappoint a few times yesterday with his first touch. I am hoping that is down to not being match sharp, his finish for the second goal was sublime. I do so hope he can stay fit and strong but he deffo needs to be playing in a 2 upfront. Kelly brings a belief and organisation to the team it really is uncanny how everybody upped their games yesterday. Either Robins words worked or Kelly is the inspirational captain supreme..perhaps a bit of both Lets hope he too stays fit for the remainder of the season
He’s going to be rusty, he’s hardly played this season!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I actually think the plan is to sign Ostigard in the event we stay up.

the same with James and I’m still convinced Walsh will be signed

That may be the plan but whether it'll be feasible is highly doubtful.

Osti I reckon is likely to get quite a few offers both here and abroad (Germany most likely) and quite a few of those interested will be able to offer him more and probably be closer to being able to meet his high ambitions. Brighton may well want to keep him and offer him a new contract.

James is an option and although he'll be cheaper than his current contract he'll still want a fair wedge. Again likely to be some competition for his signature which probably won't work in our favour.

Walsh is becoming more feasible as time goes on with his injuries etc and those will also bring down what people will pay him. Others will still be keeping an eye on him but his injury might put them off a bit, plus his time with us, the familiarity and winning the league could help swing it in our favour.

I also can't see us signing both if we're assuming Sheaf is an obligation to buy, unless Kelly leaves I can't see a need to bring them both in and frankly I wouldn't want to do that. Plus with Eccles waiting in the wings and needing to step up soon or at least be given some game time to progress we'd potentially have Kelly, James Sheaf, Walsh and Eccles vying for those positions, not forgetting Hamer as well who i think could be moved higher up the pitch to play alongside and complement O'Hare but could still drop into the deeper position if needed.

When you consider we've got a left-sided hole to fill next season, could do with a striker or two upgrade to push on and probably a CB or two signing two CM's doesn't seem a priority.

shmmeee

Walsh would give us a chance to play three in the middle that’s very well balanced

Hamer DM Walsh

Personally I’ve not seen enough of James to think he warrants spending a large chunk of the budget on. I’d be happy with Eccles and Sheaf competing with Kelly and spend the budget on basically anywhere else on the pitch bar RWB.

D

Deleted member 11652

Walsh would give us a chance to play three in the middle that’s very well balanced

Hamer DM Walsh

Personally I’ve not seen enough of James to think he warrants spending a large chunk of the budget on. I’d be happy with Eccles and Sheaf competing with Kelly and spend the budget on basically anywhere else on the pitch bar RWB.

I was wrong about the line up yesterday and with Hamer and Kelly playing behind o’hare, that actually will allow for more game time for Sheaf and James.

Like you say, I would be in no rush to spend a big chunk on James if Hamer, Sheaf and Kelly were to stay

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hamer DM Walsh

I agree. Assuming we keep Kelly, of those James is probably the one we could afford to miss out on most. Of course in an ideal situation having him in the squad would be great esp for the inevitable Kelly injury at some point but if Kelly can start to teach Sheaf and Eccles to be more vocal and get at the ref more they could be more than acceptable stand-ins and eventual replacements in a few years.

shmmeee

I agree. Assuming we keep Kelly, of those James is probably the one we could afford to miss out on most. Of course in an ideal situation having him in the squad would be great esp for the inevitable Kelly injury at some point but if Kelly can start to teach Sheaf and Eccles to be more vocal and get at the ref more they could be more than acceptable stand-ins and eventual replacements in a few years.

100%. If money was no object I’d take James tomorrow, I just think we need a target man, a goalkeeper, an AM, a LWB and two CBS more.

Grendel

100%. If money was no object I’d take James tomorrow, I just think we need a target man, a goalkeeper, an AM, a LWB and two CBS more.

I wouldn’t - he’s likely to be injured a lot if the time and his replacement performed better - he’d be a pointless signing as I’m sure we will also sign Sheaf anyway

Paxman II

Just read the last couple of pages. I think some of you need to go and spend some time watching the highlights and pay attention.

Max had a great game yesterday and his involvement produced both our goals. He put pressure on their back line all game, winning corners and free kicks. Hit a cracking strike that could have been a worldy and all round earned his place. Can he be consistent? Is he better than Godden or walker? No but he is very effective and no surprse he played well when the whole team played well.

Walsh. Please drop it. A player who did well for us for a period in a lower league, couldn't get a game at his parent club in the championship.

We must try and keep Ostigard. I see him as replacement for Mc.Fazdean, who yesterday had a good game all round, marshalling the back well. his only faux pas was when that quick free kick gave that guy a little flick header in front of Wilson that he fluffed. Mc.Fazdean fell asleep there. watch on the replay.

Kelly showed why he is better than James. But he is injury prone so keeping James could be crucial.

Sheaf not done enough to try and keep.

Hamer my need a rest but his type of game is like no one else. Vital cog in our wheel.

Walker, gets fitter, gets better.

Robins. Finding his feet in this league better than when he went to Hudderfield. Still indecisive about his picks but that will change with more players back fit.

Grendel

Just read the last couple of pages. I think some of you need to go and spend some time watching the highlights and pay attention.

Max had a great game yesterday and his involvement produced both our goals. He put pressure on their back line all game, winning corners and free kicks. Hit a cracking strike that could have been a worldy and all round earned his place. Can he be consistent? Is he better than Godden or walker? No but he is very effective and no surprse he played well when the whole team played well.

Walsh. Please drop it. A player who did well for us for a period in a lower league, couldn't get a game at his parent club in the championship.

We must try and keep Ostigard. I see him as replacement for Mc.Fazdean, who yesterday had a good game all round, marshalling the back well. his only faux pas was when that quick free kick gave that guy a little flick header in front of Wilson that he fluffed. Mc.Fazdean fell asleep there. watch on the replay.

Kelly showed why he is better than James. But he is injury prone so keeping James could be crucial.

Sheaf not done enough to try and keep.

Hamer my need a rest but his type of game is like no one else. Vital cog in our wheel.

Walker, gets fitter, gets better.

Robins. Finding his feet in this league better than when he went to Hudderfield. Still indecisive about his picks but that will change with more players back fit.

So a forward whose scored 1in 15 and has his first impact for months is worth his place

james should be kept as a deputy even though he’s going to be the highest earner at the club and isn’t as good as a player older whose spent a large amount of time in the lower leagues

Sheaf whose a prospect should be let go

O hare whose the best player by a Mike gets no mention

Makes sense

capel & collindridge

He Done his job well today, and at Rotherham... Any games that stand out Inbetween that for you?
1 goal in his last 15 games
One of the reasons, people stick up for Max is that his stats on this forum are frequently misquoted or given out of context - only a cup match, against one of the bottom clubs, can't score with his head etc.

I think he is the only player that gets treated in this way. He made his come back as a regular in the first team 16 games ago. In those games our goalscorers are:-

Walker (3) Biamou (2) Hamer (2) Kelly (2) Own Goals (2) Allen (1) Gyokeres (1) Hyam (1) = total of 14 goals scored (19 goals conceded).

For a player who exceeded expectations in League One and is now doing the same again in the Championship, why be so negative.

Grendel

One of the reasons, people stick up for Max is that his stats on this forum are frequently misquoted or given out of context - only a cup match, against one of the bottom clubs, can't score with his head etc.

I think he is the only player that gets treated in this way. He made his come back as a regular in the first team 16 games ago. In those games our goalscorers are:-

Walker (3) Biamou (2) Hamer (2) Kelly (2) Own Goals (2) Allen (1) Gyokeres (1) Hyam (1) = total of 14 goals scored (19 goals conceded).

For a player who exceeded expectations in League One and is now doing the same again in the Championship, why be so negative.

Not really. The scoring statisticians mostly don’t count the cup he scored goals in - if you include under 21 teams why not include goals in the U23 league, he has t scored a headed goal in the league it’s a fact - I got into this with Jim Brown who started quoting his goals per minute and asked if there was anyone better from his contributions in all games last season.

i asked him to check ponticelli in league 2 and he was the best goals per minute if you included the JPT trophy

The other thing I really can’t get is if he’s that good and most say signing him again as a 4th option is a bargain why would he and his agent do that? Surely he’d be getting offers from the top of league 1 rather than accept a deal on lower money and hardly any game time?

capel & collindridge

Your'e missing the point, Grendel. In this case, I'm quoting his last 16 League games. Why leave out the first game when Biamou came back into the first team, and scores a goal. And then only count the next 15 games.

I can't think of anyone posting here who would be happy for Max to be our first choice striker in the Championship and would rather have him than Godden or Walker (or Toney, Joao or Pukki if we could afford them!) For our ex-fourth string, now third-string striker he's not done a bad job for us this season.

Stop being such a grudge!

Paxman II

So a forward whose scored 1in 15 and has his first impact for months is worth his place

james should be kept as a deputy even though he’s going to be the highest earner at the club and isn’t as good as a player older whose spent a large amount of time in the lower leagues

Sheaf whose a prospect should be let go

O hare whose the best player by a Mike gets no mention

Makes sense

Well Robins is considering a new contract for him. What I see currently is he deserves it. He choose to go elsewhere, perhaps league 1 who knows.

We don't need prospects, we have those in the under 23's and Eccles by all accounts is likely to break through. Sheaf has not shown enough to be kept.

Why would i mention O'Hare? Should I mention every player Grendel?

James may earn more but regardless does not make him a better player than Kelly. They may well form a good partnership yet to be seen.

Whatever you're on Grendel you may want to consider laying off it for a while. The more you talk the more you sound silly.

cc84cov

Took his second well, very lucky with a poor Pen. Needs fitness, didn't stand out for me no...
Didn’t stand out ? He’s the reason we won the game 🤣
giphy.gif

cc84cov

I wouldn’t - he’s likely to be injured a lot if the time and his replacement performed better - he’d be a pointless signing as I’m sure we will also sign Sheaf anyway
I have a feeling we won’t sign sheaf could be wrong

clint van damme

Well Robins is considering a new contract for him. What I see currently is he deserves it. He choose to go elsewhere, perhaps league 1 who knows.

We don't need prospects, we have those in the under 23's and Eccles by all accounts is likely to break through. Sheaf has not shown enough to be kept.

Why would i mention O'Hare? Should I mention every player Grendel?

James may earn more but regardless does not make him a better player than Kelly. They may well form a good partnership yet to be seen.

Whatever you're on Grendel you may want to consider laying off it for a while. The more you talk the more you sound silly.

didn't want to get drawn in to this because as far as I'm concerned, if we stay up, it's going to be difficult close season to strengthen everywhere we need to so if bringing in a striker better than what we already have means keeping Max on as 4th choice then I'm fine with that.

But I'm intrigued by your 'what you've seen lately' comment.
He was great yesterday but he's been very poor recently.
I'm not having a go at him because as far as I'm concerned he's a trier, (don't buy any accusations of him being lazy), and if he's in a league above his ability that's not his fault and he's trying his best with his limited ability but before yesterday he has not played well for some time, admittedly that's an accusation that can be levelled at a few of the squad.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

That may be the plan but whether it'll be feasible is highly doubtful.

Osti I reckon is likely to get quite a few offers both here and abroad (Germany most likely) and quite a few of those interested will be able to offer him more and probably be closer to being able to meet his high ambitions. Brighton may well want to keep him and offer him a new contract.

James is an option and although he'll be cheaper than his current contract he'll still want a fair wedge. Again likely to be some competition for his signature which probably won't work in our favour.

Walsh is becoming more feasible as time goes on with his injuries etc and those will also bring down what people will pay him. Others will still be keeping an eye on him but his injury might put them off a bit, plus his time with us, the familiarity and winning the league could help swing it in our favour.

I also can't see us signing both if we're assuming Sheaf is an obligation to buy, unless Kelly leaves I can't see a need to bring them both in and frankly I wouldn't want to do that. Plus with Eccles waiting in the wings and needing to step up soon or at least be given some game time to progress we'd potentially have Kelly, James Sheaf, Walsh and Eccles vying for those positions, not forgetting Hamer as well who i think could be moved higher up the pitch to play alongside and complement O'Hare but could still drop into the deeper position if needed.

When you consider we've got a left-sided hole to fill next season, could do with a striker or two upgrade to push on and probably a CB or two signing two CM's doesn't seem a priority.
Ostigard already said Brighton will depend on guarentees of first team football. If they stay up he won’t get it.

those conversations would have already happened.

James also said they’re kind of looking at each other. (Him and the club) besides I think this is likely to be funded by a Hamer sale - hence the need for Walsh. Allen will be in his last year next season so is likely to be let go. We’ll sign Sheaf for the squad places. Kelly and James have injury records so it’s not totally inconceivable we go into next season with Kelly, James and Sheaf.

We’re going to need at least 2 more strikers and left back as well, I’m 99% convinced we won’t get to see Hamer live in a city shirt... if we’re in the championship at least we’ll get a significant sum

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Didn’t stand out ? He’s the reason we won the game 🤣
giphy.gif

We won that game due to the collective effort of the team. So no, he didn't 'stand out' - he was just effective in a different way to others who were equally important. One of the goals was a (poorly struck) penalty that you'd hope at least half of the players on the pitch would score. His second was a great finish but wouldn't have had the opportunity were it not for the efforts of Biamou and O'Hare. When you isolate him alone up front he's largely anonymous.

Otis

We won that game due to the collective effort of the team. So no, he didn't 'stand out' - he was just effective in a different way to others who were equally important. One of the goals was a (poorly struck) penalty that you'd hope at least half of the players on the pitch would score. His second was a great finish but wouldn't have had the opportunity were it not for the efforts of Biamou and O'Hare. When you isolate him alone up front he's largely anonymous.
When we isolate pretty much anyone up front they are anonymous.

Last edited:

fatso

I'd point out that Hyam was massively improved, and Walker looked far better in a 2 up front.
MR gets 10/10 for the tactics.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I have a feeling we won’t sign sheaf could be wrong

It's an obligation and he's played quite a few games so I'd be quite surprised if we didn't, and if not I'd imagine they'd be some kind of financial penalty for it in the contract. Can we really afford to be spending money to NOT sign players? He needs to improve but there's something there to work with. Hopefully this season has led to any idea he might be too good for us/this level because he came through at Arsenal being eradicated and has taught him a lot.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When we isolate pretty much anyone up front they are anonymous.

Indded they are but of the three (Walker, Godden and Biamou) the one I'd say is least likely to win and keep hold of the ball is Walker. He's a goalscorer so needs the support of others to do that.

It's the same thing we had with Chaplin and to a lesser extent Ponticelli - they need others to let them do what they're best at. If you expect them to run the line and create chances you're on a hiding to nothing. Get them in the box where they're predators and they'll likely do the business.

Sick Boy

I can't think of anyone posting here who would be happy for Max to be our first choice striker in the Championship and would rather have him than Godden or Walker (or Toney, Joao or Pukki if we could afford them!) For our ex-fourth string, now third-string striker he's not done a bad job for us this season.
Only last week there were calls for it.

Evo1883

Your'e missing the point, Grendel. In this case, I'm quoting his last 16 League games. Why leave out the first game when Biamou came back into the first team, and scores a goal. And then only count the next 15 games.

Stop being such a grudge!
2 in 16 then... That's 5/6 over a season

Its not being negative, I feel its a realistic perspective of a player massively overrated by fans

Evo1883

People keep coming at me because I've a different opinion of him... He's never excelled at any level with us...
He's currently filling in and that's fair enough, let's not pretend his misses haven't cost us points, much like the league 2 season.
I still want next season a better 3rd and 4 th striker.. No disrespect to him.

mark82

People keep coming at me because I've a different opinion of him... He's never excelled at any level with us...
He's currently filling in and that's fair enough, let's not pretend his misses haven't cost us points, much like the league 2 season.
I still want next season a better 3rd and 4 th striker.. No disrespect to him.

I'd rather have him as 4th choice and bring someone in as an improved starter than get rid of him and sign 2 backup quality players.

Evo1883

I'd rather have him as 4th choice and bring someone in as an improved starter than get rid of him and sign 2 backup quality players.
We will no doubt offer him something because he's cheap...
I still feel that the money can be used elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread