Plague on all houses for me (1 Viewer)

duffer

It depends Ian. Did we agree to the 7s being played here ? Also, did we consider or even request playing the first couple away from home ?

I just can’t see how nobody saw the massive risk to have a home game so close to a rugby tournament being played on the pitch. Even if the game had gone ahead, it might’ve been considered safe but it would still have been mess especially as we’re a footballing team

If we didn’t have any say in the 7s being played here and were told we couldn’t move fixtures, I’m with you. If Wasps haven’t delivered on promises or breached terms under our lease, that’s also a different matter and obviously not our fault

I just think it’s weird that nobody at the club saw this potentially coming

Why would we have had a say on it, it's not our ground.

Whether we could see it coming out not, there's not a great deal at could do about it.

Wasps needed the money, our needs are entirely secondary to that.

That's why we need them gone, and soon.

Sky Blue Pete

Ok so if money was given to wasps to ensure cwg went well why didn’t we only find out on Thursday the pitch wasn’t satisfactory. I’m happy wasps are mostly to blame but what on earth possessed us. I’m so disappointed and we only returned from our holiday a day early. I’d be livid if I’d paid out hundreds of pounds. They could also have called it off yesterday and probably should have done

CCFCSteve

Whether we could see it coming out not, there's not a great deal at could do about it.

Im not saying this isn’t Wasps fault. I’m saying I don’t know if we are totally blameless as I don’t know the answers to the questions

We have a lease to play football during the season, Wasps have a responsibility to deliver certain things under the lease to facilitate that. So we might well have had to have been consulted about release for 7s with it being so close to the season and had to agree to it. Then again the lease might all be written in wasps favour so they can do whatever they want…or wasps may have not bothered consulting with us and breached terms of the lease. none of us know

samccov1987

Here we go again. Sisu are going to be cuckoo in the nest.

Pitch obviously ain’t been looked after but with wasps current situation they are going to be the Tennant from hell.

You can see it now - pitch shit, not enough bar staff, turnstiles always open late. Compo, compo, compo.

Problem is whilst it may damaged wasps it also turns our season into a shit show.

How long do our best players and Robins put-up with it?

shmmeee

Sorry I’m not having that. We are not to blame here at all.

I mean we are. It was on us to confirm things were progressing and put in a plans if things weren’t on track. But nothing like as much as Wasps.

If Boddy has been having issues talking to ACL/Wasps it was on him to raise this earlier not just rock up two days before a game hoping everything was fine. I mean anyone who has organised any event will tell you that.

But whoever hasn’t done the pitch work and whichever twat overbooked the pitch is most to blame.

shmmeee

I assume we have a contract? Your landlord can’t let your house out to someone else as well because he’s skint.

Liquid Gold

Here we go again. Sisu are going to be cuckoo in the nest.

Pitch obviously ain’t been looked after but with wasps current situation they are going to be the Tennant from hell.

You can see it now - pitch shit, not enough bar staff, turnstiles always open late. Compo, compo, compo.

Problem is whilst it may damaged wasps it also turns our season into a shit show.

How long do our best players and Robins put-up with it?
I hope we do fuck up their cosy situation there.

We’ve put up with it for too long. They can’t pay their debts and they can’t provide a stadium that we can play in.

I support almost any action that will bust the cunts out of the city.

skybluejane

You didn’t need to go the ground to see the state of the pitch. It was clearly obvious after day one from tv pictures during the rugby 7s matches

SAJ

Yes, people seem to forget the importance of cash flow, playing potentially 4 games away in one go at the beginning of the season would be a big strain. Its not as easy as say, "no problem we'll play away"

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Why at the beginning of a season is it a cash flow issue? A high percentage of season tickets would have been paid for in full from day 1. The club will get that money shortly after it has been processed, they don’t get it a week at a time. It is then for the club to manage that fund. Cash flow rightly is important but shouldn’t impact on a club that has generated somewhere in the region of £3.5 million 6 weeks previously.

Liquid Gold

Why at the beginning of a season is it a cash flow issue? A high percentage of season tickets would have been paid for in full from day 1. The club will get that money shortly after it has been processed, they don’t get it a week at a time. It is then for the club to manage that fund. Cash flow rightly is important but shouldn’t impact on a club that has generated somewhere in the region of £3.5 million 6 weeks previously.
This is why all this hinting and speculating by ITK isn’t helping at all.

Say it or stay quiet on it.

shmmeee

Didn’t someone say the finance option isn’t paid to the club up front?

Paxman II

Gone are the days when on a wet and windy midweek night at the Baseball ground with not a blade of grass in sight eh??
I played on park pitches a whole lot worse back in the day. Are footballers just protected too much these days becuase of their value?
Playing on a pitch that's the same for both sides is no longer acceptable it seems.
Can't understand why they did not cut out the middle section shown on the photo's and replace with fresh turf? It's amazing what they can do these days but clearly ground staff are in the dark ages here.
Why did we not expect this after Rugby 7's? Why did Body not ask for the game to be a reverse fixture? There is incompetence everywhere throughout society today. What happened to the committee that was jointly set up to monitor the pitch for this season?
We won't be fined by the EFL, they gave consent to call it off. At the end of the day the Commonwealth Games organisers are ultimately responsible. Will the cup game be played? I expect so. Well we get to train a few players up to speed like Palmer etc. And we will have one of those lovely games in hand!

shmmeee

Gone are the days when on a wet and windy midweek night at the Baseball ground with not a blade of grass in sight eh??
I played on park pitches a whole lot worse back in the day. Are footballers just protected too much these days becuase of their value?
Playing on a pitch that's the same for both sides is no longer acceptable it seems.
Can't understand why they did not cut out the middle section shown on the photo's and replace with fresh turf? It's amazing what they can do these days but clearly ground staff are in the dark ages here.
Why did we not expect this after Rugby 7's? Why did Body not ask for the game to be a reverse fixture? There is incompetence everywhere throughout society today. What happened to the committee that was jointly set up to monitor the pitch for this season?
We won't be fined by the EFL, they gave consent to call it off. At the end of the day the Commonwealth Games organisers are ultimately responsible. Will the cup game be played? I expect so. Well we get to train a few players up to speed like Palmer etc. And we will have one of those lovely games in hand!

On this, thought this was interesting:

More than just protecting players, there were TV viewers to think about. If the Premier League was to market itself as a slick global brand, it needed a product that looked good on television. Muddy, bobbly, patchy pitches would not do. Broadcasters began to demand “snooker table-like pitches,” said Calderwood. According to Geoff Webb, CEO of the Grounds Management Association, which represents British groundskeepers, some broadcasters even stipulated in contracts that the pitches must be in pristine condition.

fatso

Wasps, Sisu, CCFC, Commonwealth games organisers and EFL all deserve blame for this nonsense

We should have played games away till a week tomorrow

Can see a fine and a points deduction
Why? We don't own the stadium or the pitch, we didn't lease the facility to the commonwealth games committee, we are tenants, presumably renting a ground with a fit and proper pitch. I'd imagine Wasps have failed as landlords here.

You can't convince me that playing rugby every day for a week wasn't going to fuck the pitch up! They new the schedule, they new the consequences. In short, wasps wanted the money and didn't give a fuck about the football club.

The CableGuy

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Commonwealth Games said they had signed an official tenancy agreement to use the stadium from 8 July until 14 August.

"After a contract was agreed for Coventry City Football Club to return to the Coventry Stadium, Birmingham 2022 was asked whether it could accommodate CCFC matches within our tenancy," they added.

"To assist the football club, we rearranged our derigging schedule to make the stadium available on 7,10 and 14 August.

"It has been a busy summer at the Coventry Stadium, and as has been planned for several years, we were pleased to stage rugby sevens matches at the venue on 29, 30 and 31 July."

skyblue1991

This is a Wasps issue and they have fucked up.

Everyone affected both ticket wise and logistically deserves a refund if they cannot make the rearranged fixture. The costs can be recovered from Wasps, there is no wiggle room

Hope Wasps go bust, the wankers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Moff

Wasps, Sisu, CCFC, Commonwealth games organisers and EFL all deserve blame for this nonsense

We should have played games away till a week tomorrow

Can see a fine and a points deduction

Nit sure about a fine, and certainly not a points deduction.
If it had rained all weekend and the pitch was waterlogged we wouldn’t be docked points.

It’s just in our case our shite landlords (that the EFL wanted us back with) let us down horrendously. It’s not our ground or pitch, our hands are tied.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Think the Commonwealth lease thing is a bit of a red herring. Their statement relates to derigging which is nothing to do with the pitch, its all the other crap, for example the stuff occupying the car park.

Reads to me that all they've agreed to is suspending that process to allow matches to be played on certain dates. They would have no requirement for the pitch once the last game had been played.

SAJ

More credit card payments. Paid in 23rds after a game played.
Credit card payments don’t work like unless it is specified that there are several payments to make up the total. Finance would be paid monthly as the payments come in as it’s paid monthly. It would be reasonable to assume at least 5000 season tickets were sold on credit cards, that would equate to £1.5 million coming into the club in the last 6 weeks. Furthermore the club will receive its share from the EFL that may well be split over the course of the season. The club would also receive its share in merchandise sales. Even if this was an issue, which for one minute I can’t believe to be the case m, the club can apply for factoring if they were that short.

lord_garrincha

Credit card payments don’t work like unless it is specified that there are several payments to make up the total. Finance would be paid monthly as the payments come in as it’s paid monthly. It would be reasonable to assume at least 5000 season tickets were sold on credit cards, that would equate to £1.5 million coming into the club in the last 6 weeks.
I'm just relaying what was previously said on here, might have been believer but have slept a few times since. Believe (pardon the pun) it is due to card protection.

lord_garrincha

Think the Commonwealth lease thing is a bit of a red herring. Their statement relates to derigging which is nothing to do with the pitch, its all the other crap, for example the stuff occupying the car park.

Reads to me that all they've agreed to is suspending that process to allow matches to be played on certain dates. They would have no requirement for the pitch once the last game had been played.
Sounds like ACL were fortunate that the pitch did not cause a player to snap an achilles or far, far worse during the egg chasing.

Skyblueweeman

Look, some things aren't going to happen.

We're not going to get a points deduction. Even if we got a fine, I expect it to be passed onto the insects.

We're not that hard up that things need to be paid for by Credit Cards.

Sky Blue Harry H

We should have requested first two games away.

We'd still have a ruined pitch. If we had played our first 2 away. We would have only 'saved' one game regarding backlog. The main advantage of having done so would be the avoidance of a possible EFL sanction (which I think would be more than harsh. One bit I am curious about, is that it wouldn't have taken much investigation to discover that Wasps/Arena weren't addressing the pitch over the summer. In which case, 'm surprised CCFC weren't making a more public fuss at an earlier stage to elicit an earlier response from Wasps

Last edited:

MalcSB

The deal with the CWG was agreed before our return. Comments on Wasps forums suggest that they were surprised at how much damage was being caused to the pitch from the very first 7s game. This suggests that the pitch wasn’t up to it from the beginning. The damage may well have come as a surprise to Wasps themselves, but it is their responsibility to provide the facilities that CCFC pay for. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Wasps believed it would be ok and advised CCFC as such: if they had thought differently they should not have agreed to home games so soon. Of course, there could have been financial penalties associated with failure to make the venue available. Maybe they gambled, but if so they lost.

Wasps should meet any and all financial consequences of this debacle.

Sky Blue Pete

Rotherham statement include a nice apology

share the frustrations of our fans and apologise to those who had made travel plans to attend Sunday's

duffer

I assume we have a contract? Your landlord can’t let your house out to someone else as well because he’s skint.

Unless you are only living in your house every other Saturday, then it's nothing like it. The CBS and the pitch belong to Wasps, it's their responsibility.

They chose to take the money for the Commonwealth games and the earlier gig, do you seriously believe that we had some sort of veto power here we could have exercised?

fernandopartridge

£3.5m will pay the wages for 10 weeks or so between the end of last season and now (i estimate the wage bill annually is around £16m), what income is going to pay August's wage bill?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Briles

We were given the option by all accounts and we agreed the CWG could be played there. We are complicit no matter how much we hate wasps

Ian1779

We were given the option by all accounts and we agreed the CWG could be played there. We are complicit no matter how much we hate wasps
So you’re saying we could have said no, stopped the CWG being played at the CBS and deprived Wasps of the money they have been given??

MalcSB

By what accounts? Didn’t the CWG agreement predate our return? I can’t believe Wasps would have given SISU the opportunity to deny them income.

Users who are viewing this thread