Pivotal Sky Blue Moments (1 Viewer)

COV

Yeah can only find this article which claims Henry, Zenden, Melchiot and Ljungberg too!

we also tried to buy David Trezeguet and Mario Ganz in 1998, and apparently came pretty close. That’s taken from Strachan himself via Rick Gekoski’s book- “Staying Up”

SlowerThanPlatt

we also tried to buy David Trezeguet and Mario Ganz in 1998, and apparently came pretty close. That’s taken from Strachan himself via Rick Gekoski’s book- “Staying Up”

Yes it is strange how none of these future stars actually joined and were only “close”.

COV

Yes it is strange how none of these future stars actually joined and were only “close”.

i guess the definition of “close” is key.

with Trezeguet if I recall the book correctly, he wasn’t getting a game at Monaco and we made contact and there was a deal to be done, but we decided on Moldovan. Is that ‘close’, I dunno.

its all academic really though as Trezeguet would have been like Moldovan- comes, does well, heart not really in it, gets attention. leaves quickly. Wrong type of profile altogether- can you imagine swapping Monaco and opulence for Ryton in winter being kicked about by Liam Daish in training. Mo Konjic made the transition, but not at Premier League level for sure.

looking back I think that Richardson era was a bit like our version of the Ridsdale era at Leeds- mad stuff going on, no proper vision grounded in reality.

Legia Sky Blue

Zenden is definitely true. The others I'm not convinced by.

Yes Zenden was mentioned in the papers at the time. Of the others I think Henry, Van Nistelrooy & Trezeguet were mentioned in the 'Staying Up' book, didn't ever know about Melchiot or Ljungberg. In the 90's papers also linked us to signing Nakata, Okocha and Lalas.

This thread also reminds me of when it seemed we were about to make a double signing of Jorge Albertz & Neil McCann from Rangers, which I remember seemed pretty nailed on. Never got to know how or why it fell through.

LastGarrison

Yes Zenden was mentioned in the papers at the time. Of the others I think Henry, Van Nistelrooy & Trezeguet were mentioned in the 'Staying Up' book, didn't ever know about Melchiot or Ljungberg. In the 90's papers also linked us to signing Nakata, Okocha and Lalas.

This thread also reminds me of when it seemed we were about to make a double signing of Jorge Albertz & Neil McCann from Rangers, which I remember seemed pretty nailed on. Never got to know how or why it fell through.
Now that I’d completely forgotten about!!

I can remember how excited I was at the time and in fairness they were both very decent players!

Terry_dactyl

Before this I think I remember the telegraph reported we were going to make a triple signing of Tim Flowers, Franz Carr and Ian Crook. I’m sure it was the back page story with big pictures of all them…like it was a done deal.

Legia Sky Blue

Before this I think I remember the telegraph reported we were going to make a triple signing of Tim Flowers, Franz Carr and Ian Crook. I’m sure it was the back page story with big pictures of all them…like it was a done deal.

Didn't know about Flowers, but remember the other 2 being reported as close to signing. Around that time others that we were linked with as being close to signing were Dennis Wise and Ian Dawes, who I was desperate to sign and replace Downs, who I saw as our only real weakness at that time.

Hadji's_Goatee

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but a recent pivotal moment was the extraordinary twist of fait in August 2017.

After winning the first two and losing the next two games of the play-off winning season – Robins assistant, Steve Taylor, fell suddenly ill.

Robins drafted in Adi Viveash, who was available after leaving his post at Chelsea in May, after a highly successful 9 years there.

We then won the next 5 out of 7 games and the rest is history.

Honestly think that the Viveash / Robins combo is why we've done so well in his second spell.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Sign all the players you like but the most important signings is the manager and the team below him and keeping them. I’ve grizzled at times re: Robins thought he could have done this or that but he has most the time shoved my grizzling down my throat. He/they have proved not only they are good pairing but they can & do change set-ups and tactics.successfully.

Malaka

For me the pivotal moment was when Snoz announced that he was going to retire, only to be sacked and the club appoint Terry Butcher as player manager. As a result, he broke up what I believe to be the second tightest defence in the league which was crucial as we did not have too many goals in the side. Terry Butcher was a disaster and instead of continuing on a upward trajectory in the league, we began to struggle. It was the beginning of the end IMO

Travs

I remember when the speculation about a left-footed superstar was joining.... at the time i'm sure it was mentioned that it was possibly Rivaldo (possibly in the Telegraph or on CWR).

Obviously that was cobblers, and it was Jarni....

Users who are viewing this thread