Pivotal Sky Blue Moments (1 Viewer)

blunted

What do you think are the pivotal moments where it all went wrong or right?
Not giving Jimmy Hill the contract he wanted (10 years)
Not employing Brian Clough as manager - he went to Forest instead.
Selling Highfield Road.
Sacking Eric Black and employing Peter Reid. Not saying Black would have been that good but light years ahead of Reid.
Most of the managers from Coleman onwards.
Selling Wilson too cheaply.
Letting Sisu take all the shares.

Grendel

Selling Highfield Road.
Sacking Eric Black and employing Peter Reid. Not saying Black would have been that good but light years ahead of Reid.

Clough was approached in the early 70’s wasn’t he and re-signed for Derby

Wilson was a great deal

SlowerThanPlatt

Selling Highfield Road.

Eric Black hasn’t had a managers job since being sacked. There isn’t much evidence to suggest he would have been a long term success here.

blunted

Eric Black hasn’t had a managers job since being sacked. There isn’t much evidence to suggest he would have been a long term success here.
Completely agree, which was why I qualified the statement, but at the time, anyone would have been way better than Reid.

SlowerThanPlatt

Wilson was a great deal

We ended up pretty well out of it. Think he went for an initial £3m but with being sold on to Newcastle and various milestones close to £6m.

TomRad85

McAllister leaving on a free same summer as selling Keane. Should have tied McAllister down long before Liverpool turned his head. Cba to do the maths but the 2 of them going can't have been far off 2/3rds of our goals taken out of the team. What could go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blunted

Wilson was a great deal
Clough was about to sign for the City 100%. Derrick Robbins was worried Clough wanted too much control and pulled out. Clough said at the time, we were a bigger club than Derby. I remember someone rang CWR at the time Wilson was sold saying we had been robbed. Admittedly, at the time I thought it was a good deal. There was a player who also went to the Championship for way more money at the same time and never went much higher. His name escapes me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

SlowerThanPlatt

Clough was about to sign for the City 100%. Derrick Robbins was worried Clough wanted too much control and pulled out. Clough said at the time, we were a bigger club than Derby. I remember someone rang CWR at the time Wilson was sold saying we had been robbed. Admittedly, at the time I thought it was a good deal. There was a player who also went to the Championship for way more money at the same time and never went much higher. His name escapes me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Maybe Assombalonga, just been released by Boro

blunted

McAllister leaving on a free same summer as selling Keane. Should have tied McAllister down long before Liverpool turned his head. Cba to do the maths but the 2 of them going can't have been far off 2/3rds of our goals taken out of the team. What could go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I happen to know when Heskey went to Liverpool, he was persuaded by Oneal to sign a new contract so Leicester could benefit from a fee for him. A player moving on but helping his home town team. Classy. McCallister should have been offered the same.

oscillatewildly

Wilson was a great deal
Clough was allegedly approached to take over from Jimmy Hill when JH announced his departure (just prior to start of season 1967/68)
Legend has it that a verbal agreement was struck - but nothing more.

slowpoke

Cloughie conned us re. Stuart Pearce, made a bid of around £250k for Ian Butterworth good player which we turned down Forest upped it to £450k if we included Pearce in the deal, both signed for Forest within a year Butterworth was flogged off to Norwich City wherr he played for a long time. and as we know Pearce went on to success and international stardom.

Legia Sky Blue

Clough was allegedly approached to take over from Jimmy Hill when JH announced his departure (just prior to start of season 1967/68)
Legend has it that a verbal agreement was struck - but nothing more.

Think your mixing this up with when we approached him after Cantwell left. When JH left as Manager, Clough had still to achieve any success with Derby. They had finished towards the bottom of Division 2 in 1966/67, and did the same in 1967/68. It wasn't until the following season when he took Derby up that he made a real name for himself.

fatso

For me it wasnt one pivotal moment, more like the years and years of financial mismanagement that fucked the club and the fans over, and ultimately resulted in us nearly going to the wall. And then to bury the details under non disclosure agreements really stinks.

SlowerThanPlatt

Selling Highfield Road.

Were 10 year contracts usual back then? Admire what he did for the club but don’t think anyone deserves a 10 year contract in football.

slowpoke

We did approach Brian Clough first time after Jimmy Hill resigned and the second time a more serious approach after Noel Cantwell was sacked there are all sorts of stories as to why it didn’t happen but I think mainly it was a personality clash between him and out chairman Derrick Robins who apparently was a difficult individual to deal with.

clint van damme

We did approach Brian Clough first time after Jimmy Hill resigned and the second time a more serious approach after Noel Cantwell was sacked there are all sorts of stories as to why it didn’t happen but I think mainly it was a personality clash between him and out chairman Derrick Robins who apparently was a difficult individual to deal with.

I cantremember ifit was in Cloughs biography or autobiography but it states it was his decision to turn us down.
He made his mind up on the way home from the interview

Grendel

You said he chose Forest

SlowerThanPlatt

Initial 1m i think wasnt it?

Callum Wilson has completed his move to Bournemouth with Coventry City getting two players on loan as part of the deal believed to be worth more than £3million.

The Sky Blues star striker has agreed a four-year deal with the Championship club who will lend out highly-rated goalkeeper Ryan Allsop and winger Mohamed Coulibaly initially until January as part of a loaded deal that is understood to see City get £2.25m up front.

Other money relied on certain games/goals and Bournemouth promotion. Unless we negotiated a silly deal everything should have been met

Gynnsthetonic

Definitely selling Highfield Rd, a lot of fans are already bored of new plastic B&Q stadiums, old style stadiums with character are the future although in the top 2 divisions there aren't many left! Imho

Users who are viewing this thread