Pitch invasions (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

It's not exactly a spontaneous outpouring of emotion if you sit politely in your seat for five minutes before hurtling on.

Which is fine if you could guarantee that not one person in the crowd would attack or harass one of the opposition on their way off

NorthernWisdom

Which is fine if you could guarantee that not one person in the crowd would attack or harass one of the opposition on their way off
In a large crowd, there'll inevitably be a wanker or three. Those wankers need dealing with and punished (properly), but people celebrating the achievements of their club is surely, well... natural? Some of the best images across sport through the years have been people wildly celebrating together, joy against the odds.

Sportis supposed to be... human so, as fp says, punish the wankers rather than those who just want to be happy.

Brighton Sky Blue

In a large crowd, there'll inevitably be a wanker or three. Those wankers need dealing with and punished (properly), but people celebrating the achievements of their club is surely, well... natural? Some of the best images across sport through the years have been people wildly celebrating together, joy against the odds.

Sportis supposed to be... human so, as fp says, punish the wankers rather than those who just want to be happy.

Prevention beats punishment. Is it asking much to just let players off the pitch first?

Grendel

NorthernWisdom

Prevention beats punishment. Is it asking much to just let players off the pitch first?
But you're asking people, at a moment of celebration, to sit politely on their hands for five minutes before rushing on, pretending that they're still ecstatic at the final whistle. That's as bad as a DJ playing set tunes to hype up the 'atmosphere' and cattle-herds people, most of whom are perfectly capable of realising that giving a player a slap is a cunty thing to do.

Get rid of the minority of eejits and you're left with human beings rather than manufactured, soulless, controlled crowds who have to obey every instruction and are commanded how to be happy,

Brighton Sky Blue

But you're asking people, at a moment of celebration, to sit politely on their hands for five minutes before rushing on, pretending that they're still ecstatic at the final whistle. That's as bad as a DJ playing set tunes to hype up the 'atmosphere' and cattle-herds people, most of whom are perfectly capable of realising that giving a player a slap is a cunty thing to do.

Get rid of the minority and you're left with human beings rather than manufactured, soulless, controlled crowds who have to obey every instruction and are commanded how to be happy,

We managed it at the last game at Highfield Road. Also nobody 'sits on their hands' in the crowd, go mental with the person next to you.

How else are you guaranteeing the safety of opposition players who just want to get off the pitch?

Grendel

If the threat of voiding the game was in place, yes. They can wait a matter of minutes then party on the pitch with their own players as long as they want.

Do you live in a different reality to real people? It’s spontaneous behaviour

Grendel

Fine then don't complain when managers and players keep getting harrassed and assaulted at full time

That’s not the same either. Of course you can complain about that.

Grendel

It's not really spontaneous behaviour when fans are gathering at the corners and front rows 5 minutes before the end of the game waiting to run on at the final whistle.

It is though. It’s a last game it always happens

steve101

Supporters do not need to run onto the pitch to show their emotions. Why can't people do it in the stands? It's what happens whenever a goal is scored. It is just a lack of control and respect. Even though the majority of fans are invading in good spirit, they enable the idiots to prosper. The recent incidents have been bad enough, but before long there is going to be serious injury or death.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s not the same either. Of course you can complain about that.

Ah yes, ‘keep complaining’. All I have suggested is people hang on a few minutes so the opposition can leave safely.

Neither you nor anyone else who thinks people can’t celebrate in the stands for a short time has explained how you guarantee safety otherwise

Grendel

Ah yes, ‘keep complaining’. All I have suggested is people hang on a few minutes so the opposition can leave safely.

Neither you nor anyone else who thinks people can’t celebrate in the stands for a short time has explained how you guarantee safety otherwise

You can’t but I don’t think if you say “hey old chap I know you’ve had 10 pints and high on coke but can you please obey the tannoy announcement to stop going on the pitch for 5 minutes”

Grendel

The truth is going to games now is like a tea party compared to the past - you just prosecute the people who cause physical harm or offensive language - 99% of them oddly are behaving like football fans

NorthernWisdom

You can’t but I don’t think if you say “hey old chap I know you’ve had 10 pints and high on coke but can you please obey the tannoy announcement to stop going on the pitch for 5 minutes”

And there's less issue if the culprits are punished anyway. Let's face it, the type of person who does that is hardly likely to have been a model football citizen beforehand, too! I'm not sure slapping a player is any worse than slapping a fan, really, and weed out the troublemakers so the majority can enjoy a proper experience.

I mean where do you stop? Do you ban protests because some in the protest crowd behave unlawfully?

rob9872

A whole page and not a single like for the best joke I've posted on SBT in a decade of posting. I'm gonna cry in a minute.

SBT

What if they’ve had 14 pints?

Tommo1993

If players/staff continue to be in harms way, eventually you’ll see an unwanted increase of riot police at games. Best place is Wembley with those wires the run across the front of stands

stay_up_skyblues

If players/staff continue to be in harms way, eventually you’ll see an unwanted increase of riot police at games. Best place is Wembley with those wires the run across the front of stands

I think this will come in sooner rather than later if it carries on, certainly in the top two divisions.

The clubs themselves (and potentially the leagues) are presumably wide open to claims now if/when further assaults take place. Can’t argue it isn’t foreseeable after this last week.

cov donkey kick

Invading the pitch and violence seems to go hand in hand just don't understand the mentality myself with so called fans assaulting players managers and people not raising an eyebrow likes it's acceptable at some point there will be a fatality then who knows what will happen.

steve101

And there's less issue if the culprits are punished anyway. Let's face it, the type of person who does that is hardly likely to have been a model football citizen beforehand, too! I'm not sure slapping a player is any worse than slapping a fan, really, and weed out the troublemakers so the majority can enjoy a proper experience.

I mean where do you stop? Do you ban protests because some in the protest crowd behave unlawfully?
Protesting isn't unlawful, invading the pitch is.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think they're inevitable. The Lino's actions (for anyone who hasn't seen it; check it out 😂) in the play off semi final shows everyone in football expects them now a days.
But I'm divided on player / staff reaction. It's not acceptable for people to be abused in their jobs, but both McBernie and Viera have reacted. Sharp didn't get chance to react.
Sharp, the fan deserved all he got if not too lenient. On the pitch or not this is assault
McBernie again I'd say that's assault. Albeit clips on social media are limited but on the street that's assault
Viera has clearly been antagonised. No one will ever know what's been said but the delay in him reacting to the finger gesture suggests there is more to it

short of caging fans in again, I don't know how it can stop. But for a start the level of stewarding needs reviewing. I've always considered most to be agency staff with a 'security' badge, big like A bouncer at a night club, and most don't know how to 'crowd control' and are simply there for th pay.

Last edited:

SkyBlueMatt

I know its bigger than this but the sheffield united stomp and Viera kick. I have no problem with.

I don't believe issues should be settled with violence but players and managers should be there. Fans shouldn't. If you're going to break the rules by going on the pitch then dont be a c*nt about it. You deserve a kick or a stamp.

I dont think pitch invasions are a problem and can be a great way of celebrating. But if your first thought after running on the pitch is to be aggressive and to confront someone. You're scum and I have no sympathy if someone stomps on your head.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Otis

i used to love pitch invasions when it was just one woman with usually rather big knockers
If that had been her instead of that yellow-toppled bald man charging into Billy Sharp, he would have been merely suffering from pleasant memories rather than a cut lip.

Sick Boy

We managed it at the last game at Highfield Road. Also nobody 'sits on their hands' in the crowd, go mental with the person next to you.

How else are you guaranteeing the safety of opposition players who just want to get off the pitch?
I recall seeing a fully grown man swinging at a young female steward at the final whistle during the time that they actually tried to enforce it.

letsallsingtogether

Can't honestly say I have never done it.
It was nearly a yearly thing at HR.
Never been pn the CBS pitch though.

Tommo1993

Went on the HR pitch on the last day.

Been on CBS pitch the time we beat Wycombe, didn’t even cross my mind to approach any players

Hobo

Do you live in a different reality to real people? It’s spontaneous behaviour

It is not spontaneous behaviour to run half the length of the pitch, pick out a player from the other side and headbutt him with such force he goes to ground and requires stitches to the inside of his mouth?

I think the yards ran and focus on the player negates any intent to go on the pitch to celebrate having been overcome by the emotion of an important victory. It is an out and out calculated, cowardly assualt by a fat twat who I doubt could kick a football straight over 5 yards.

Grendel

It is not spontaneous behaviour to run half the length of the pitch, pick out a player from the other side and headbutt him with such force he goes to ground and requires stitches to the inside of his mouth?

I think the yards ran and focus on the player negates any intent to go on the pitch to celebrate having been overcome by the emotion of an important victory. It is an out and out calculated, cowardly assualt by a fat twat who I doubt could kick a football straight over 5 yards.

The majority of people on the pitch are celebrating or it’s the final game of the season

It’s killjoy nonsense to start imposing bans and fines on the majority who are celebrating - just punish the minority

Users who are viewing this thread