pictures of highfield road (3 Viewers)

Joy Division

The Crows nest, An extension to the concrete bulk of the Spion kop made from wooden slats with bushes, shrubs and garbage underneath.

Still amazes me it was still open for 3 seasons after the Bradford fire.

My first game was in 1990 and stood on the Kop as a 10 year old, the Crows Nest was completely sealed off by blue fencing by then but I was always fascinated by the structure and couldn't believe anyone would dare stand on it, looked terribly unsafe.

rondog1973

My first game was in 1990 and stood on the Kop as a 10 year old, the Crows Nest was completely sealed off by blue fencing by then but I was always fascinated by the structure and couldn't believe anyone would dare stand on it, looked terribly unsafe.
Yep, I remember one of the slats was actually broken too!

They also used to let people stand on the concrete mound between the upper and lower terracing, something else the HSE would have a field day with, before they made it safe in the 88-89 season I think.

rob9872

Thank you to anyone who has contributed on this thread. Hairs standing up on the back of my neck and feel quite emotional, reading stories and looking at those photos all reminding me of happy times gone by that will never be repeated. I sometimes get fed up with people living in the past and not moving on, but a true piece of nostalgia like this thread should be treasured.

Joy Division

I don't know if anyone else recalls this but I remember flicking through an old match day program from the late 70's or early 80's and there was an image of proposed plans to cover the Swan Lane End, think the board at the time were keen to do this but obviously never happened, it included an artists impression of what the stand would look like with a cover.

Skyblueweeman

Always has been my absolute favourite. It sits in my collection in pride of place.

My mums in that picture somewhere. She went in my place. I overslept and missed my train. Gutted doesn't even come close.

Only regret I have from my 35 years on this planet.

dadgad

Ian Gibson, what a great player he was, remember him running rings round Bobby Moore.

scan_211.jpg

DazzleTommyDazzle

I don't know if anyone else recalls this but I remember flicking through an old match day program from the late 70's or early 80's and there was an image of proposed plans to cover the Swan Lane End, think the board at the time were keen to do this but obviously never happened, it included an artists impression of what the stand would look like with a cover.

i have an old programme from about 1970 in which Mr Robbins sets out the plans to build a new stand at the Swan Lane end with a gym and various other attractions included. All part of our plans at the time to become part of the European elite.

Now we're hoping to cling on to third division status.

duffer

i have an old programme from about 1970 in which Mr Robbins sets out the plans to build a new stand at the Swan Lane end with a gym and various other attractions included. All part of our plans at the time to become part of the European elite.

Now we're hoping to cling on to third division status.

You know what, I think I could kind of live with that if we were still at Highfield Road. I really, really miss the place.

When I'm going past on my bike, as I do from time to time, I like to do a quick lap of where the pitch used to be. How sad is that!

NorthernWisdom

You know what, I think I could kind of live with that if we were still at Highfield Road. I really, really miss the place.

When I'm going past on my bike, as I do from time to time, I like to do a quick lap of where the pitch used to be. How sad is that!

Not sad, but... brave.

I went back once when they were knocking it down to take some photos, and went back once when they'd built on it for a nose. The latter wasn't something to repeat, echoes are sometimes an odd experience. Amazing how 'progress' means leaving behind tradition.

RedSalmon

I miss the place too, so very much. Have said before on here how I am slowly looseing interest in football and everything it currently is. The more I think about it, the decission to leave Highfield Road was the begining of this process.

dadgad

Nostalgia for the old place is stronger because of our current plight: poor team, worst owners ever, etc. However, I remember HR was described as increasingly 'unfit for purpose'. I think most agreed with them at the time.

WestEndAgro

Yes it was a shit hole, but it was our shit hole, I have so many happy memories CCFC totally engulfed my life back then.

steveecov

There's a great Beatles track called "In My Life"

If there's anybody that could get it on here and put it with a pic of Highfield Road, with past players. would make a great vid. Need to be more techno wise than me though:(

Should bring a tear or two...Any takers?:guitar2::claping hands:

Nick

Administrator
Christ, don't even recognise some of them as HR!

Even the 1991 ones were before I can really remember.

Wheelfass

Brilliant, brings back good memories, the 3rd and 4th pics are definitely not 1969 though, but brilliant
All the same, love looking at old pics of HR.
Yeh you're right about the year. I recall that being on a seat in an open terrace in the rain wasn't any fun at all and the seats that were installed in 1981 were ripped out again in 1985 and the terraces recommissioned.
Had to look the years up on Wiki.

Users who are viewing this thread