Pick your best city 11 since you've been alive! (2 Viewers)

skybluelee

He did play in the top flight , transferred to Northampton who were then in league one (NOW PREM)
I DONT THINK YOU COULD OF SEEN HIM PLAY MUCH, I saw every game he played for us . that's why he gets my vote in front of colin stien

I wasn't crticising your choice so lay off the CAPITALS! It was a genuine question.

He didn't play for us in the top flight which must make it difficult to compare him alongside the likes of Dublin who battered top flight defences year after year.

Terry Gibson's perm

Perhaps our judgment - mine included - has been skewed by the relative dross we have had in midfield really since our Premier League days. In the short time he was with us, I admired Wise for his pedigree, skill, tenacity and goal threat from centre midfield, whilst not forgetting his other 'quality' of being almost universally hated by opposition fans.

Maybe there is a case for including others ahead of him in centre mid, players such as McAllister, Mortimer, Robson or Farmer??

It's only an opinion and an almost impossible one to form.

Wise had one amazing quality and that was to referee the game, whenever a decision was being made by the ref Denis was there to help him with it.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Wise had one amazing quality and that was to referee the game, whenever a decision was being made by the ref Denis was there to help him with it.

Yes TGP, great if he's on your side but an irritating little shit if he's against you. I guess that's what creates the love/hate relationship with him.

I can still see him in the 1-1 draw with Leicester, sauntering over to take a corner in front of the 6,000 Leicester fans and giving some subtle hand signals in response to some verbals from them. I don't recall too many City players doing that over the years.

oscillatewildly

This would be my best team comprising players that I had seen play. Just two points of criteria: They would have had to perform in the top tier and played for the club for a minimum of 2 years.
Dublin
Gibson. T.
Hutchison Mcallister Hunt. S.
Yorath
McDonald Peake Gillespie Borrows
Blyth

Grendel

Yes TGP, great if he's on your side but an irritating little shit if he's against you. I guess that's what creates the love/hate relationship with him.

I can still see him in the 1-1 draw with Leicester, sauntering over to take a corner in front of the 6,000 Leicester fans and giving some subtle hand signals in response to some verbals from them. I don't recall too many City players doing that over the years.

There were still far better and effective midfielders than him who played in the top flight.

He played 13 games

Sky Blue Kid

8 pages of posts, and you and 1 other pick holes in other peoples posts. Fwiw, I remember Wise scoring an absolute screamer against Cardiff. The man was imense in midfield.

Speedies_Chips

Glazier

Nilsson
Pearce

Peake
Gillespie

Gallacher
Yorath
Gibson (Ian not Terry)
Hutchison (Tommy not Don) - and no 'n' after the 'i'

Dublin
Wallace

skybluelee

8 pages of posts, and you and 1 other pick holes in other peoples posts. Fwiw, I remember Wise scoring an absolute screamer against Cardiff. The man was imense in midfield.

Keith Houchen scored a screamer in the cup final, not sure many people would put him in their strongest City XI of all-time though. A cult hero XI maybe.

Grendel

In relative terms he is inferior to many midfielders that played for the club - and he played 13 games

covboy9

Oggy

Borrows Peake Dann Nilsson

Gallacher Boateng Mcallister Ndlovu

Dublin Speedie

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

In relative terms he is inferior to many midfielders that played for the club - and he played 13 games
And in "Relative terms" how many of these "Many superior midfield players for Coventry" have won more than Wise (21 International Caps for England)

Grendel

And in "Relative terms" how many of these "Many superior midfield players for Coventry" have won more than Wise (21 International Caps for England)

Yorath won 59 caps.

Still as Carlton Palmer only managed 18 for England I guess he'd only make it as a sub in your team?

Sky Blue Kid

Yorath won 59 caps. Still as Carlton Palmer only managed 18 for England I guess he'd only make it as a sub in your team?
Lmfao. Your brilliant "Come back" is Yorath...An excellent midfielder, I'll give you that, but where are your "Relatively many superior players"? The point in question at the end of the day(Very Beckhamesque) is it's all a matter of opinion, and doesn't make "YOUR" opinion the only one that matters. Start acting your age and not your dick size matey. ;)

chinamans view

Its just every bodies personal view from all times in our history, there is no right or wrong selection, its just fun to see people from different times say 1962 to now choose there favourite players and put them into a team. so don't criticise others.

Silsden

Oggy
Nilsson Konjic Breen
McAllister Boateng
Whelan Ndlovu
Keane Huckerby
Dublin

Mine's a bit of an all out attack but screw it!

Grendel

Lmfao. Your brilliant "Come back" is Yorath...An excellent midfielder, I'll give you that, but where are your "Relatively many superior players"? The point in question at the end of the day(Very Beckhamesque) is it's all a matter of opinion, and doesn't make "YOUR" opinion the only one that matters. Start acting your age and not your dick size matey. ;)

Boating, Powell, Yorath, McCallister, Emerson, Beck, Gynn, Safri and Chippo to name but a fewwere vastly superior if you look solely at his time here.

What next? Graham Withey for the all time best number 9?

Or Colin Hendry as the centre half - 50 international caps all said and done.

Unless you are from an era that did not witness the premier league the notion he should be in a best eleven is just plain silly.

Sky Blue Kid

To reiterate my last post, The point in question at the end of the day(Very Beckhamesque) is it's all a matter of opinion, and doesn't make "YOUR" opinion the only one that matters. Start acting your age and not your dick size matey.

Grendel

To reiterate my last post, The point in question at the end of the day(Very Beckhamesque) is it's all a matter of opinion, and doesn't make "YOUR" opinion the only one that matters. Start acting your age and not your dick size matey.

My opinion is your an idiot - just an opinion of course.

stupot07

When people are picking Wise is it just for his performances for us or all of his career?

Good point. It should just be for his performances for us IMO. He was brilliant, but he was past his peak and playing in the second tier, the likes of boateng, Gynn and Mcallister were quality in the PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Rigt then
4,3,3 formation
westwood
nillsson Peake Dann Fox
Hadji mcallister wise
Whelan Dublin Keane

CovisGod

Oggy
Babb
Breen
Konjic
Nilsson
McAllister
Boateng
Hadji
Ndlovu
Dublin
Keane

Honourable Mentions - Hedman, Fox, Dann, Chippo, Whelan, Huckerby, Wise

D

Deleted member 2477

Grendel turns another perfectly good post into a slanging match of nonsense.
you sure your not a troll ????

Qwerty70

Playing 4-4-2
Oggy
Thomas
Babb
Peake
Pearce
Hutchinson
Boateng
McAllister
Hunt
Dublin
Keane

Everyone forgets Steve Hunt, quality left foot.

Grendel

Grendel turns another perfectly good post into a slanging match of nonsense.
you sure your not a troll ????

No I haven't and given my selection choice the other accusation is not even worth responding to.

Users who are viewing this thread