Pick your best city 11 since you've been alive! (2 Viewers)

WestEndAgro

Westwood
Nilsson
Gillespie
Babb

Steve Hunt
Stuart Robson
Chris Marsden
Dennis Wise

Speedie
Hately

Grendel

Why is Dennis Wise being picked?

DazzleTommyDazzle

Several of your picks nearly made it into my list. It’s nice to see you’ve mentioned Neil Martin – a hugely underrated player and a great favourite of mine. Assuming of course that you didn’t mean Aaron Martin :)

Neil Martin was my first real "Sky Blue Hero".

In those days I used to make my Dad wait with me outside Highfield Road until the players came out so that I could get autographs. After the one game, Neil spent a few minutes chatting to my Dad - it was a bit like Zeus had come from Olympus to bless the family.......

rupert_bear

Glazier

Neilson
Barry
Gillespie
Cattlin

Mortimer.
Yorath
Gibson (Ian)

Wallace
Dublin
Hutchison

Subs
Oggy
Curtis
Mortimer
Ndlouv
Speedie

skybluelee

Oggy
Nilsson, Peake, Kilcline, Pearce
Hadji, McAllister, Boateng, Ndlovu
Keane, Dublin

Bench

Kirkland
Borrows
Atherton
Mcgrath
Gallacher
Speedie
Regis

bringbackrattles

My Team to take on the world.

Steve Ogrizovic
Brian Borrows, Trevor Peake, Scott Dann, Stuart Pearce
Dave Bennett, Dean Emmerson, George Boatang, Tommy Hutchinson
Mick Ferguson, Ian Wallace

Subs: Dave Phillips, Dion Dublin, Steve Froggatt, Jim Blyth, Stuart Robson
What a line up and yes it would take some beating. But I reckon mine would just edge it. Shame we'll never ever find out !

CJ_covblaze

Hedman
Nilsson Breen Dublin Babb
Boateng Chippo Hadji
Keane Roussel Nudlovu

Bench
Oggy, Burrows, Telfer, Froggatt, Huckerby

Malaka

Glazier
Pearce
Peake
Kilcline
Nielssen
Hutchison
McAllister
Wise
Froggatt
Dublin
Keane

Last edited:

johnwillomagic

Hmm tough this one - think I would go 4-2-3-1

Ogrizovic
Nilson
Dann
Peake
Pearce

McAllister
Boateng

Keane
Ndlovu
Huckerby

Dublin

Subs: Westwood, Borrows, Kilcline, Gynn, Whelan, Gallagher, Quinn

Terry Gibson's perm

Hedman
Nilson
Pearce
Peake
Babb
Ndlovu
Boateng
Mcallister
Hadji
Keane
Dublin

subs

Terry Gibson
Oggy
Phillips senior
Huckerby
Froggatt
Speedie
Atherton

mrtrench

In terms of best quality and most able to compete at the highest level (and also taking into account the age and performance of the player whilst at City), it would be difficult to get into the Entertainers side that Strachan built.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Why is Dennis Wise being picked?

Perhaps our judgment - mine included - has been skewed by the relative dross we have had in midfield really since our Premier League days. In the short time he was with us, I admired Wise for his pedigree, skill, tenacity and goal threat from centre midfield, whilst not forgetting his other 'quality' of being almost universally hated by opposition fans.

Maybe there is a case for including others ahead of him in centre mid, players such as McAllister, Mortimer, Robson or Farmer??

It's only an opinion and an almost impossible one to form.

shmmeee

Westwood
Nilsson Borrows Dann Babb
Boateng McAllister
Gallagher Keane Ndlovu
Dublin

skybluelee

In terms of best quality and most able to compete at the highest level (and also taking into account the age and performance of the player whilst at City), it would be difficult to get into the Entertainers side that Strachan built.

Apart from they never won a game away from HR so they can't have been that good.

Grendel

You cannot compare eras for this sort of thing logically the players who formed the most successful team should feature largely. So, for me 76/78 late 80's and 98 are key

Blyth - a great keeper who would have become Man U number 1 but for a cruel injury
Thomas - best right back by some way I would think again injury denying a great career
McDonald - struggled with left backs but part of the successful team and an exciting attacking full back
Gillespie - guile and skill - had it all
Killkline - controversial but a good foil with Gillespie. Steel aggression and leadership in spades
Gynn - often underated but hard work combined with skill and an eye for goal. The premier league came too late for Gynn
Boating - a one man demolition squad
Yorath - awesome inspired leader
Hutchison - no superlatives are enough for a true star who actually deserves the all too frequent legend term
Ferguson and Wallace - they come as a pair. A strike force that defenders actually feared. Ferguson - 3 hat tricks in one season and Wallace devastating

Subs (1 is controversial)

Sealey
Froggatt
Gallagher
Dublin (defender as well as forward)
Gibson
Powell
Peake

chinamans view

He did play in the top flight , transferred to Northampton who were then in league one (NOW PREM)
I DONT THINK YOU COULD OF SEEN HIM PLAY MUCH, I saw every game he played for us . that's why he gets my vote in front of colin stien
Even though Hudson didn't even play in the top flight?

Grendel

He did play in the top flight , transferred to Northampton who were then in league one (NOW PREM)
I DONT THINK YOU COULD OF SEEN HIM PLAY MUCH, I saw every game he played for us . that's why he gets my vote in front of colin stien

Stein was not a great player - a great name and cult hero but not a devastating forward

DazzleTommyDazzle

You cannot compare eras for this sort of thing logically the players who formed the most successful team should feature largely. So, for me 76/78 late 80's and 98 are key

Blyth - a great keeper who would have become Man U number 1 but for a cruel injury
Thomas - best right back by some way I would think again injury denying a great career
McDonald - struggled with left backs but part of the successful team and an exciting attacking full back
Gillespie - guile and skill - had it all
Killkline - controversial but a good foil with Gillespie. Steel aggression and leadership in spades
Gynn - often underated but hard work combined with skill and an eye for goal. The premier league came too late for Gynn
Boating - a one man demolition squad
Yorath - awesome inspired leader
Hutchison - no superlatives are enough for a true star who actually deserves the all too frequent legend term
Ferguson and Wallace - they come as a pair. A strike force that defenders actually feared. Ferguson - 3 hat tricks in one season and Wallace devastating

Subs (1 is controversial)

Sealey
Froggatt
Gallagher
Dublin (defender as well as forward)
Gibson
Powell
Peake

I'd agree with pretty much all of that.

Good as Danny Thomas was though, I saw more promise in Graham Oakey before injury also stopped him.

Hod dog

i am younger so will have to go with.

GK - Westwood (was at end of Oggys career)
RB- Keogh
CB- Konjic
CB- Dann
LB - Fox
RM - Hadji
CM - Boatang
CM- Mcalister (Wise gets special mention)
LM - Froggatt
ST - Keane
ST- Dublin

Users who are viewing this thread