Photography thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

I'm a big burly git of 16stone, shaved head and tattoos. Basically, thug-like. BUT! I have a passion! And that is my wee dog! He is a long-haired Chihuahua who I would give my life for! Anyway, why I say all this is because he is so photogenic and I have literally hundreds of pics of him! I've chosen a few at random....
View attachment 13145
When we first got him! He was irresistible!
View attachment 13146
How he likes to kip!
View attachment 13147
He likes to wrap us round his fingers, so to speak!
View attachment 13148
He loves the pub!
View attachment 13149
Loves being outside!
View attachment 13151
Loves the camera!
C'mon, lets see those pet pics!

That's a very cute dog!

We don't have her any more, but our Scots Fold cat used to sleep in some rather.... interesting positions. In fact, I'm quite sure she actually didn't have a spine.... FB_IMG_1569970361162.jpg FB_IMG_1569970342996.jpg FB_IMG_1569970335423.jpg

She also loved to nick your seat every time you moved. Right little diva that one..

Marty

Couple of pics from my drive upto Port Douglas this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_181823.jpg
    IMG_20191211_181823.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20191211_171859.jpg
    IMG_20191211_171859.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18

Mcbean

Nice - stayed there for a week waiting to go snorkelling on the GBR in the end it was very rough and only a few of us went in - great pub with a verandah right in the middle !

Marty

Nice - stayed there for a week waiting to go snorkelling on the GBR in the end it was very rough and only a few of us went in - great pub with a verandah right in the middle !

The place is dead, currently sat in N15 having a few beers and the barman reckons only one place will be open past 10. Only here for 5 days before I fly to Sydney.

Mcbean

Get up to the Dane tree forest - just don’t go on the beach or something will eat you , don’t go in the water or a box jellyfish will kill you ! Don’t get your car stuck in a ford or the salties will come visiting - good luck

richnrg

Get up to the Dane tree forest - just don’t go on the beach or something will eat you , don’t go in the water or a box jellyfish will kill you ! Don’t get your car stuck in a ford or the salties will come visiting - good luck
..and don't go into the towns as its they're full of Aussies

fellatio_Martinez

That's a very cute dog!

We don't have her any more, but our Scots Fold cat used to sleep in some rather.... interesting positions. In fact, I'm quite sure she actually didn't have a spine.... View attachment 13152 View attachment 13153 View attachment 13154

She also loved to nick your seat every time you moved. Right little diva that one..

Only just seeing this now. Beautiful cat.

I have a grey cat at the moment and she is like no cat I've ever had. She's very intelligent, playful and greedy. She plays fetch which is something I've only seen dogs doing.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Only just seeing this now. Beautiful cat.

I have a grey cat at the moment and she is like no cat I've ever had. She's very intelligent, playful and greedy. She plays fetch which is something I've only seen dogs doing.
Photos? C'mon! Let's see them! ;)

Gazolba

Nice photos. I didn't know they had palm trees there. They must have pretty mild winters.

Marty

IMG_20191219_133810.jpg
Bondi beach, early afternoon, visibility down to about 200 meters due to the bush fires, really hard to breathe too.

IMG_20191218_142803.jpg
Sydney harbour bridge taken from the opera house, climbed it and took this pic on the only clear day since I arrived.

Gazolba

Here's a couple of photos I took in my garden last month.
I noticed quite a few caterpillars clinging to plants, and also I had quite a few dragonflies flitting about.
It was hard to focus on them, most of my shots were out of focus. These are the best two shots I got:
Caterpillar-cropped-2.jpg
Dragonfly-cropped.jpg

Gazolba

Gazolba

Few photos taken in my garden in the past few days.
Yellow flowers are California Poppies, Red flowers are called Scarlet Flax.
Two stands of Pampas Grass transplanted from elsewhere in my garden.
Then while doing some weeding I spotted a green grasshopper amongst my plants.
Very well camouflaged.
California-Poppies-1.jpg Red-Flax-1.jpg Pampas-Grass-1.jpg Grasshopper-1.jpg

Last edited:

Houchens Head

I love Photoshop and like to try to get the best out of my photos. Here's some examples of before and after shots. (I use the Camera Raw facility in PS)
Original photo of Osborne House, IoW
IMG_3740.JPG
Worked on with Camera Raw feature...
IMG_3740a.jpg
View from Cowes....
IMG_4944.JPG
IMG_4944a.jpg
And lastly, my wee Chihuahua......
IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5516c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4944a.jpg
    IMG_4944a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Ring Of Steel

I love Photoshop and like to try to get the best out of my photos. Here's some examples of before and after shots. (I use the Camera Raw facility in PS)
Original photo of Osborne House, IoW
View attachment 15233
View attachment 15234
View from Cowes....
View attachment 15235
View attachment 15239
And lastly, my wee Chihuahua......
View attachment 15237
View attachment 15238

you’re good at this :) I like the idea of photography but it’s all too technical & seems like a burden on time to seriously get into it and learn what it all means, I take loads of snaps just to remember stuff and that’s as far as it goes. You’re very good though.

Houchens Head

you’re good at this :) I like the idea of photography but it’s all too technical & seems like a burden on time to seriously get into it and learn what it all means, I take loads of snaps just to remember stuff and that’s as far as it goes. You’re very good though.
Thank you for those words of encouragement, RoS. It means a lot. However, I'm really not that brilliant, especially when you see some other stuff on the net. I was like you until just a couple of years ago. Then I bought a second-hand Canon camera and added to it as time (and finances) allowed. It really is a great hobby. I've done light trails, time-lapse stuff, micro photography, portraits and panoramas. Extra bits I use are telephoto lens, micro lens, intervalometer (for time-lapse), stand alone flash gun and various filters. Everything I bought extra has cost an average of £20 each. I guess if you are working, it's finding the time to do it, but as I'm retired I have nothing but time! Have a think about taking it up as a hobby. It's not too hard as digital cameras all have an "automatic" setting which you can use until you get used to 'f' settings, focusing etc.

Gazolba

Thank you for those words of encouragement, RoS. It means a lot. However, I'm really not that brilliant, especially when you see some other stuff on the net. I was like you until just a couple of years ago. Then I bought a second-hand Canon camera and added to it as time (and finances) allowed. It really is a great hobby. I've done light trails, time-lapse stuff, micro photography, portraits and panoramas. Extra bits I use are telephoto lens, micro lens, intervalometer (for time-lapse), stand alone flash gun and various filters. Everything I bought extra has cost an average of £20 each. I guess if you are working, it's finding the time to do it, but as I'm retired I have nothing but time! Have a think about taking it up as a hobby. It's not too hard as digital cameras all have an "automatic" setting which you can use until you get used to 'f' settings, focusing etc.
I have tons of cameras, lenses, attachments and accessories left over from my film photography days.
When I first started in photography I even developed my own film and enlarged and printed the negatives.
I still have my darkroom equipment, enlarger and multiple enlarging lenses packed away somewhere.
I used to shoot a lot of model portfolios.
I had a scanner to scan the negatives and a photo-quality printer so I could give the models retouched prints.
I would spend hours retouching the photos to make the models look as good as possible.
None of that equipment is now usable since it's not compatible with Windows 10.
The photo scans are all on an old computer and I can't think of a way to transfer them to my new computer.
I'm reluctant to spend all that money again for equivalent digital equipment, so I now just have my Fuji Finepix SL300 camera.
It's 14 megapixels and has a 30x zoom and built-in flash.
Probably outdated by now but it takes nice photos.
Nowhere near as sophisticated as my old film equipment though.
If I can ever access my old photos, I'll post some here.

Houchens Head

I’ve just got a plant for my garden - test to see if I can keep something other than myself alive :D

found this little fella on it yesterday! Was just taken on my iPhone 11 Pro so not the best

View attachment 15270
Looks good enough to me SW88! I have a similar shot of a bee in lavender. Sadly, I didn't get the focus quite right though. Keep snapping! ;) :emoji_bee:
85.JPG

Gazolba

Looks good enough to me SW88! I have a similar shot of a bee in lavender. Sadly, I didn't get the focus quite right though. Keep snapping! ;) :emoji_bee:
View attachment 15273
It's tough to focus on insects because the camera wants to focus on the background instead.
The secret is to just take lots of shots, eventually one will be perfectly in focus.
You can also try focussing on something the same distance away, then holding that focus and then pointing the camera to your real subject and firing the shutter.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
View attachment 15273

I agree it is difficult

I caught these two green bugs (sure they have a proper name) with my canon sx510. Tried to get as close up as possible but lost a lot of focus! Think it partly them trying to keep their modesty given, with the change in colour I think they might have been getting up to some naughtiness and I was clearly intruding! I hope they were from the same household, getting that close! Although I guess they are outdoors :D

0077FEB7-64E9-4C5B-8F7F-95AD79978059.jpeg

39B2BB15-7FCB-46D9-9264-F1E201343D8B.jpeg

Houchens Head

I agree it is difficult

I caught these two green bugs (sure they have a proper name) with my canon sx510. Tried to get as close up as possible but lost a lot of focus! Think it partly them trying to keep their modesty given, with the change in colour I think they might have been getting up to some naughtiness and I was clearly intruding! I hope they were from the same household, getting that close! Although I guess they are outdoors :D

View attachment 15281

View attachment 15282
Great shots sw88!

Marty

I agree it is difficult

View attachment 15281

View attachment 15282

Pervert!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Good shots. Not easy to get good shots of the moon, although a lot of people think it is!

thanks HH! Definitely not easy! More so given how cloudy it was that evening! I’d get a rubbish shot then have to wait for the cloud to move on before trying again!

Must admit I’m a bit ‘click and hope for the best’ so end up with high number of a shots but not many that would actually be any good! During lockdown I did pay £11 for a online course but I couldn’t get on with the Aussie instructor and gave up on it really early :emoji_joy: Just add it to the list of ‘pointless and no needed’ lockdown purchases

Houchens Head

thanks HH! Definitely not easy! More so given how cloudy it was that evening! I’d get a rubbish shot then have to wait for the cloud to move on before trying again!

Must admit I’m a bit ‘click and hope for the best’ so end up with high number of a shots but not many that would actually be any good! During lockdown I did pay £11 for a online course but I couldn’t get on with the Aussie instructor and gave up on it really early :emoji_joy: Just add it to the list of ‘pointless and no needed’ lockdown purchases
YouTube have some really good tutorials. Just type in what you're looking for, e.g. 'photographing the moon' or 'time-lapse tutorial' or whatever. That's how I've learnt a lot of stuff. Doesn't cost either!

Gazolba

Couple of the moon from Friday

<snip>
Nice shots. How did you take them?
I just bought a 60x telescope and am going to try taking some moon photos through that.
Won't be easy, it's so powerful it's difficult to focus on it even visually.
And the slightest movement sends it out of the viewfinder.
Will have to use my heaviest-duty tripod.

Users who are viewing this thread