Photography thread (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Really like the second one and the randomness of the cluster of colour, nature doing it's thing.
Doubt many humans could achieve that.
There were a lot of those flowers, some nice, some a bit wilted, so I moved the camera around for a couple of minutes before I decided which ones made the nicest grouping.
I think the groupings add something that a shot of a single flower is missing. It's harder though to find a nice group than to find just a single perfect flower.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
There were a lot of those flowers, some nice, some a bit wilted, so I moved the camera around for a couple of minutes before I decided which ones made the nicest grouping.
I think the groupings add something that a shot of a single flower is missing. It's harder though to find a nice group than to find just a single perfect flower.
I took this one of a Hawthorn Tree back in May. The colours are only around for a week or so, then it just looks like any old tree!
18.jpg

Paul Anthony

It seems incredible to think it's been five years since I took this. I can vividly remember being able to stand in our garden at Cinderford at the right time of evening and be able to take these kind of pictures as if it was only yesterday! Obviously there was a little photographic camera trickery necessary, but I always loved how it could make it seem like the whole sky above the forest was ablaze. It may only have been a Coolpix bridge camera, but I've never been able to get the same textures, atmosphere or drama on any other camera. We definitely shared a special bond where sunset shots were concerned! IMG_20181016_220001_502.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sick Boy

It seems incredible to think it's been five years since I took this. I can vividly remember being able to stand in our garden at Cinderford at the right time of evening and be able to take these kind of pictures as if it was only yesterday! Obviously there was a little photographic camera trickery necessary, but I always look loved how it could make it seem like the whole sky above the forest was ablaze. It may only have been a Coolpix bridge camera, but I've never been able to get the same textures, atmosphere or drama on any other camera. We definitely shared a special bond where sunset shots were concerned!

That's a great picture mate!!

Gazolba

A few 'light trail' shots that I took this evening outside where I live in Malvern.
<snip>]
Did you use a tripod for those and how long was the exposure, do you know?
In the bottom photo, there are two little strips of white light in the roadway that were not in the photo above, I wonder what caused them?
There's also one in the top photo that isn't in the second one.
I'm thinking maybe a reflection in the camera lens?

Houchens Head

Did you use a tripod for those and how long was the exposure, do you know?
In the bottom photo, there are two little strips of white light in the roadway that were not in the photo above, I wonder what caused them?
There's also one in the top photo that isn't in the second one.
I'm thinking maybe a reflection in the camera lens?
Hi Gazolba. Answers to questions.
Tripod was used.
(Remote was also used)
f/16
15 second exposure
iso 100
Focal length - 18m
Max aperture - 3.625
As for the "two little strips of white light in the roadway that were not in the photo above", I took a number of shots looking in one direction then turned the whole lot around to face the other way and took a few more shots. These were just a sample of the evening. The "white lines you mention must be the front sidelights of cars as they passed? Can't think what else you can mean? Hope this has all helped and now go out and grab some great pics (better than these!). Look forward to seeing them. By the way, my problem is where I live. It is very quiet at the foot of the Malverns so not a lot of traffic. Best place is high up, looking down onto traffic in the dark, with a few bends in the road. Not sure what your locality in the States is like, but have a look round and see what you come up with. To give you an idea, have a think what it would be like looking down onto the ring road from a footbridge at night. Best wishes and happy snapping!

Gazolba

Hi Gazolba. Answers to questions.
Tripod was used.
(Remote was also used)
f/16
15 second exposure
iso 100
Focal length - 18m
Max aperture - 3.625
Thanks for the information. I'll have to check if my camera can be set up like that.
After thinking about it, I think those little strips of light must be the street lamp reflecting off something shiny (maybe a mirror or hub-cap?) on a car that passed by. Since the object was small, it only caused a short line, if it was sidelights, the line would have been continuous just like the headlights.
All the footbridges around here have wire fences to prevent idiots throwing things onto passing cars, but I'm sure I can find a good spot somewhere.

Houchens Head

Thanks for the information. I'll have to check if my camera can be set up like that.
After thinking about it, I think those little strips of light must be the street lamp reflecting off something shiny (maybe a mirror or hub-cap?) on a car that passed by. Since the object was small, it only caused a short line, if it was sidelights, the line would have been continuous just like the headlights.
All the footbridges around here have wire fences to prevent idiots throwing things onto passing cars, but I'm sure I can find a good spot somewhere.
I think the important piece of equipment here is the tripod. I bought mine new for 30 quid. It does the job and I'm really happy with it. I used the remote simply to save pressing buttons on the camera and adding unintended camera shake. I really hope we can soon see some of these pics from you soon. Oh, by the way, a mate of mine tried a few shots of Cov at night using the settings I gave him. He shot a sideways view of a light trail. Just something different to maybe have a go at. Here's his picture...……
47320915_2157469514516856_4829044413378330624_n.jpg

Gazolba

No night shots yet. Just downloaded the manual for my camera so have to check if it can do long exposures.
My camera does have a tripod socket on the bottom, and I do have a good tripod from when I used to do lots of film photography.
Here's a few shots I took today, some flowers and a bird that did not fly away when I got close. It's a Northern Mockingbird, they are pretty common around here.
Bird-on-tree-stump-1.jpg Bird-on-tree-stump-2.jpg Bird-on-tree-stump-3.jpg

Gazolba

The flowers:
Lantana-and-Palm.jpg Orange-flowers-2.jpg Yellow-flowers.jpg

Houchens Head

I spotted this little fella in a local park while walking my dog. I'm absolutely positive that he would have hopped onto the palm of my hand if I hadn't got my dog with me!
IMG_6974.jpg
IMG_6980.jpg
IMG_6981.jpg

Gazolba

Here's a few night shots I took recently.
The full moon on a cloudy night (hand held), Two shots of a shopping centre lit up for Christmas and one shot of a private house lit up. The star was suspended from a tall tree. The last 3 shots taken with tripod and the 'moonlight' setting on my camera. All taken with Fuji Finepix SL300.
Moon-1.jpg Christmas-Lights-1.jpg Christmas-Lights-2.jpg Christmas-Lights-3.jpg

dancers lance

I took this photo of the Botallack tin mines whilst on holiday in the summer, I'm aware that it doesn't come close to some of the amazing photography on this thread, but for me it just sums up the feel of the place on the day, quite ominous and moody. IMG_20180820_192325584.jpg

Houchens Head

I took this photo of the Botallack tin mines whilst on holiday in the summer, I'm aware that it doesn't come close to some of the amazing photography on this thread, but for me it just sums up the feel of the place on the day, quite ominous and moody.View attachment 11298
It's a great photo DL. It captures the isolation and loneliness of the tin mines. I can only imagine what it must have been like to work in them, especially during a bad storm. The sea can be a cruel place at times, as I found out when I lived on the Isle of Wight. Please put some more up.

Houchens Head

DL, if you zoom in and look closely, there's someone fishing by the looks of it. He's standing right on the edge of the rocks at about "8 O'clock" from the lower tin mine...……….
Capture.JPG

dancers lance

DL, if you zoom in and look closely, there's someone fishing by the looks of it. He's standing right on the edge of the rocks at about "8 O'clock" from the lower tin mine...……….
View attachment 11299
HH, that has just freaked me out, I have never noticed that. The strange thing is, It's about a 300ft sheer cliff to get down to that position, I have no idea how that person could even get to that point and I never noticed them on the day?

Houchens Head

HH, that has just freaked me out, I have never noticed that. The strange thing is, It's about a 300ft sheer cliff to get down to that position, I have no idea how that person could even get to that point and I never noticed them on the day?
I'm a bugger for little details! LOL!

Gazolba

View attachment 11299
Either the ghost of a former tin miner or a mermaid resting on the rocks.
Of course if you can see the fishing rod .....

Captain Dart

Captain Dart

Attempt at arty photos Lake District.
upload_2019-1-31_14-5-37.png

upload_2019-1-31_14-6-15.png

Captain Dart

Otis

Every time this thread is bumped I think it is going to be another flat earth theory post.

Gazolba

First, I have to admit, these aren't great photos. But this is a bird that has never visited my garden before. It's a Black Phoebe, a flycatcher. They are in constant motion and very difficult to photograph. They are unusual in that they are black with a white underbelly. Had to take these with my camera zoomed out to 500mm and through a glass window. The bird keeps coming back, so I may yet get a better photo.
Black-Phoebe-1.jpg Black-Phoebe-2.jpg

Captain Dart

upload_2019-3-12_15-53-31.png
Parking problems.
upload_2019-3-12_15-55-44.png
Spooky

Captain Dart

Sheep following me because they're convinced I will feed them.
upload_2019-3-12_15-58-1.png

Captain Dart

upload_2019-3-12_15-59-18.png
They never learn.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-12_15-59-0.png
    upload_2019-3-12_15-59-0.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Captain Dart

Captain Dart

upload_2019-3-12_20-14-53.png
Exact enough. :emoji_smiley: