Phone/tablet broadband problem (1 Viewer)

Otis

Has me baffled and would love any advice.

With Virgin and had a few problems with the broadband on my phone and tablet. Keeps dropping out and I will get DNS error message, or connection interrupted message, or waiting for server, or timed out or just have the buffering circle spinning.

Done several tests with Virgin and it always comes up fine, but of course when I have no signal I can't run the test.

But the main puzzler is, when I am on my phone and I have no connection, I switch the wifi off on the handset and more often than not, it still doesn't work. I still get the buffering circle and cannot access any websites at all. It will work again then in a few minutes. Doesn't matter if I refresh or try and open a new page.

Was convinced I had a problem with my phone, as it does have other problems, so got a brand new phone. Same thing. :(

Get that the broadband has to be a connection problem, but I don't get that when I switch to mobile data the same problem ensues.

Does the Wi-fi take more time to disconnect than I envisaged? Does it not switch straight off?

Confused.

My missus and daughter don't get the same problem and I don't usually get the problem on my laptop either. Both my laptop and my missus' laptop only run on 2G broadband. All other devices are set up for 2G and 5G.

vow

Do you mean 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi signal from your router?

Nick

Administrator
Strange. It should take about 30 seconds to switch from wifi to 4g. The icons should change at the top.

Otis

Strange. It should take about 30 seconds to switch from wifi to 4g. The icons should change at the top.
Is it not immediate then going from Wi-Fi to data?

Always believed it was and never noticed any delay before.

vow

Is it not immediate then going from Wi-Fi to data?

Always believed it was and never noticed any delay before.
Even on my old 3G phone (which it never gets, only the H+), the switch over from WiFi to Data is almost instant.

Otis

Not something I.am focusing on to be honest. Too busy repeatedly pressing refresh with my finger.

Will have a look next time it does it.

vow

Sir, please reboot your router by turning it off and on again so you can get the best out of your internet service providings!

vow

494267713_1280x720.jpg

vow

I've got Hub 3.0 (Virgin too) at the moment, never had any drop out issues (with older routers either).
Which Hub and speed do you have?

It could be a few things that disprut the 2.4ghz signal to your wireless gadgets, (don't laugh as this happened to us!) Microwave being on as it interfered with my Wifes wireless VOIP headset, so switched her company laptop to the 5Ghz signal instead.
Do you have an old/new VPN?
(Perhaps give Virgin a ring?)
Are you ok with getting into the router and trying different settings?

Otis

I've got Hub 3.0 (Virgin too) at the moment, never had any drop out issues (with older routers either).
Which Hub and speed do you have?

It could be a few things that disprut the 2.4ghz signal to your wireless gadgets, (don't laugh as this happened to us!) Microwave being on as it interfered with my Wifes wireless VOIP headset, so switched her company laptop to the 5Ghz signal instead.
Do you have an old/new VPN?
(Perhaps give Virgin a ring?)
Are you ok with getting into the router and trying different settings?
Not really on that last point.

I have rang them and they talk about the amount of devices we have, but I'm sure most people must have more.

There's only three of us.

vow

Copy and paste this http://192.168.0.1 into your browser from a PC, Mac, Tablet or even a phone (bigger size the better, so you can see the details) will get you into your router and the "Settings Password" (NOT WiFi password) should be on the bottom of the Router.
There should be a "Connected Devices" tab, click and see how many you got connected.

Otis

Copy and paste this http://192.168.0.1 into your browser from a PC, Mac, Tablet or even a phone (bigger size the better, so you can see the details) will get you into your router and the "Settings Password" (NOT WiFi password) should be on the bottom of the Router.
There should be a "Connected Devices" tab, click and see how many you got connected.
Cheers. Will do.

vow

ipconfig /flushdns

Get the command prompt open by typing it into the run/search bar, Otis then type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

Otis

Ah, but isn't that just PC's and laptops running Windows etc.

The problems are predominantly Android phone and Android tablet

vow

Which OS (Operating System) you got, Windows 7, 8 or 10? or ubuntu/Linux?

Edit, just read above, Android.

vow

Ah, but isn't that just PC's and laptops running Windows etc.

The problems are predominantly Android phone and Android tablet
Ok, if you do have a Windows PC/tablet etc. can you flush the DNS from there, it may or may not help, but worth a shot as you're clearing the Router DNS (I believe).

Otis

It shouldnt do the same on both phones.

Sounds more like your router.
Yeah. My thinking, but why only on my phone (this one and last one) and my tablet?

Daughter has iPhone and no problems. Missus has HTC phone. No problems.

Missus' Acer laptop, no problems. My Samsung laptop, usually fine, but occasionally won't connect. Have System Mechanic and run that. Usually solves it.

Otis

Could there be a clash somewhere.

Had a Hudl 2 tablet and all was well, until I sat on it.

Problems seem to be ever since I started using the Amazon Fire tablet.

dazed&confused

Are you saying the DNS cache flushes didn't work? Have you rebooted both the devices and disconnected/reconnected them to the wi-fi network? If so, next question: what apps are you using?

Last edited:

Otis

Are you saying the DNS cache flushes didn't work? Have you rebooted both the devices and disconnected/reconnected them to the wi-fi network? If so, next question: what apps are using?
Thing is, the bloomin things have been working fine since about 4pm.

Can never tell if anything I have just tried is working. Will all work fine for hours, they suddenly I lose one or both (tablet or phone).

Flushed both, but both were working fine at the time anyway.

Otis

Or I get 'Your connection was interrupted.'

Just hangs. The WiFi icon just stays static.

Users who are viewing this thread