Phone In (1 Viewer)

Colonel Mustard

Blimey...how many times do Man U play crap and sneak a 95th minute winner?

Almost never.

I'm reasonably certain that to the best teams, the result is everything.

You'd be wrong then. Read any book on sports psychology or coaching excellence and see for yourself. There's no shortage of feedback from winning teams, coaches and players on the championship mindset.

RichieGunns

Im sorry mustard but Man U have played some stinkers over the years. No team is perfect. If Man U played perfectly 95% of the time like you appear to be suggesting then they would have won every league title since the premiershios inception.

Even in those years where theyve won the league (s) they've lost a few games and some of them through bad performances.

Colonel Mustard

Im sorry mustard but Man U have played some stinkers over the years. No team is perfect. If Man U played perfectly 95% of the time like you appear to be suggesting then they would have won every league title since the premiershios inception.

Man Utd wouldn't have the trophies they do if they were not one of the elite performing teams in the world. What we may consider lousy by their standards would probably be excellence for most others.

torchomatic

Saturday, January 3rd 1925 - We drew 1-1 with Stockport. Did we play well or was the performance crap?
Saturday, February 23rd 1952 - We won 1-0 away at Rotherham. Lucky win? A brilliant performance where we should have got a hatful?

Who knows how we played in those games? Doesn't matter now anyway, does it? History tells us the results and that is all that matters.

Results are irrelevant; it's about performance. Never trust the lazy victory.

Colonel Mustard

Saturday, January 3rd 1925 - We drew 1-1 with Stockport. Did we play well or was the performance crap? Saturday, February 23rd 1952 - We won 1-0 away at Rotherham. Lucky win? A brilliant performance where we should have got a hatful?

Who knows how we played in those games? Doesn't matter now anyway, does it? History tells us the results and that is all that matters.

Straw man argument.

I am not denying the importance of results. If I did, what would be the point in following any sports?

Brighton Sky Blue

Classic debate: Play poorly and win or play well and lose? Of course you'd have the win every time, but keep playing poorly and it'll catch up with you-us under AB is a good example.

Colonel Mustard

No, you'd never say that...

Taken out of context. Well done.

To add: the interesting - and amusing - thing here is that you put such a premium on results, yet give your full and unconditional backing to the manager with the poorest results record in CCFC history. You'd justify that by adding some context (i.e. SISU) - so are results all that matter to you?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread