Phone in - Waggotts interview (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Anyone catch Waggotts interview? Only caught the end of it, where Clive mentioned QPR, and Waggott spoke about 'Rob' being included in QPR's 25 man squad. Was he referring to Rob Hulse?

What else was discussed? Anything of any worth? As I say, I only caught the end of the interview.

Grendel

He was referring to hulse. First time I've heard him. Quite impressed. Clearly knows his football and is enthusiastic.

wingy

No Hulse has been named in Sparkies 25 ,so won't be available but possibly 2 strikers through the door next week ,hopefully tuesday ,one experienced and from the prem.

AFCCOVENTRY

They also said this last week...

There was meant to be a new striker in... an experience one for the game against ipswich :thinking about:

Nonleagueherewecome

Sutty I know what you mean-myself, I think Sheff was looking great up front, but he sounded fairly deep against Blackpool. From what Juggy said tonight his job was to protect the FB..which is not how he flourishes. Another striker will mean he stays deeper, as he's not up front in the "hole" role. I'd rather we see a quality midfielder added, someone who was a natural in the "hole" like Hignett was, although it would be nice to have a better option than Eastwood on the bench.

Astute

Why do we need 2 strikers?

How many have we got in our squad that you are happy with? Would be nice if we could have at least one sitting on the bench so we could change things when needed.

Lord_Nampil

Hearing Waggott makes me think, if he had been here since March would we have been in the mess we are now?? I don't think we would! Been very reactive in the last yr with him in the club we could have been very proactive!

Don't mind selling players as long as the squad size increases or stays the same

torchomatic

shmmeee

To be honest I'd be surprised if there isn't someone better than Sheffers out there, like Trotta. Then we need someone to replace Platt Hulse would've been perfect.

Then we can play:

Murphy
Keogh Cranie Wood HH
Norwood Clingan Thomas
Nimley ST(Hulse-a-like) ST(eg Trotta)

S: Dunn, Christie, Deegan, Sheffers, Eastwood/Platt

coop

Sherffers looked good up front for them 3 games and scored in all 3 so why move him from there when it's working another bit of an unexperienced AT not sure what he's doing.

Sutty

How many have we got in our squad that you are happy with? Would be nice if we could have at least one sitting on the bench so we could change things when needed.

Don't get me wrong - I think we need one. We have Nimely, Platt, Eastwood, McSheffrey and McDonald.

If we're going to sign two loan players I want them both to be first teamers rather than having one as a backup.

I won't complain if we do get two though!

EleanorRigby

I can't understand exactly what's up with McDonald, is he injured ? I keep hearing matchfitness and not having a pre-season but he's been here months so whats happening in training ? can't he have done a pre-season by now and what was he doing in the summer ffs when Norwich were doing thier pre-season, sounds a dodge pot to me, and how much did he cost ?

Why does it always seem to be us that get saddled with misfits ?

Nonleagueherewecome

To be honest I'd be surprised if there isn't someone better than Sheffers out there, like Trotta. Then we need someone to replace Platt Hulse would've been perfect.

Then we can play:

Murphy
Keogh Cranie Wood HH
Norwood Clingan Thomas
Nimley ST(Hulse-a-like) ST(eg Trotta)

S: Dunn, Christie, Deegan, Sheffers, Eastwood/Platt

But you don't like Sheffers anyway though! If he scored 3 in 3 at home (erm..) you'd still think he was rubbish!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I can't understand exactly what's up with McDonald, is he injured ? I keep hearing matchfitness and not having a pre-season but he's been here months so whats happening in training ? can't he have done a pre-season by now and what was he doing in the summer ffs when Norwich were doing thier pre-season, sounds a dodge pot to me, and how much did he cost ?

Why does it always seem to be us that get saddled with misfits ?
Last I heard he still has a knee injury, same which caused him to be subbed vs Hull.

Anyone catch Waggotts interview? Only caught the end of it, where Clive mentioned QPR, and Waggott spoke about 'Rob' being included in QPR's 25 man squad. Was he referring to Rob Hulse?

What else was discussed? Anything of any worth? As I say, I only caught the end of the interview.

Waggott is a muppet. Achieved and delivered a big fat zero in real terms given his supposed contacts in football.

Nimley was recommended by Boro as part of the Juka deal.

Hreidarson (can's spell!) was available to whoever fancied a player at the end of his career.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
What makes you think Middlesborough would recomend a player so they could get Juke? Thats nonsense imo. If he was any good, they'd have wanted to keep him, not encourage a competitor to sign him!! I dont believe that statement at all (i might be wrong).

Nonleagueherewecome

Waggott is a muppet. Achieved and delivered a big fat zero in real terms given his supposed contacts in football.

Nimley was recommended by Boro as part of the Juka deal.

Hreidarson (can's spell!) was available to whoever fancied a player at the end of his career.

Blimey, I actually agree with you on something!

Nonleagueherewecome

What makes you think Middlesborough would recomend a player so they could get Juke? Thats nonsense imo. If he was any good, they'd have wanted to keep him, not encourage a competitor to sign him!! I dont believe that statement at all (i might be wrong).

Maybe Nimely wasn't advised as part of the Boro deal, but I'm not sure why everyone is so in thrall to Waggott. He hasn't overseen a strengthening of our side or secured anybody who will still be at the club next season. He's just helped to dis-assemble the squad on the cheap. Norwood was hardly a big-name capture, and looked well out of his depth today. Lukas was our prize asset, and he's gone without a penny spent on replacements.

Waggott is basically an improved, PR-friendly version of Ken. He has done very little but talk. Forget ye not that he is another SISU puppet.

Blimey, I actually agree with you on something!

You misjudge me. I simply retain a balanced perspective. You have me down as some sort of pro-SISU poster but that is not the case.

I want SISU out but only if there is a better option - and at the moment I know nothing of the alternatives other than a few headlines.

SISU continue to bankroll the club - yes they sell players and raise cash that way to help balance the books - but they do enough to keep the club afloat. I do not want admin and so driving SISU out without any plan B is, in my opinion, madness. That is simply my concern.

Nonleagueherewecome

You misjudge me. I simply retain a balanced perspective. You have me down as some sort of pro-SISU poster but that is not the case.

I want SISU out but only if there is a better option - and at the moment I know nothing of the alternatives other than a few headlines.

SISU continue to bankroll the club - yes they sell players and raise cash that way to help balance the books - but they do enough to keep the club afloat. I do not want admin and so driving SISU out without any plan B is, in my opinion, madness. That is simply my concern.

SISU do not bankroll the club! They keep us going by selling players, such as Lukas, Aron and Turner. That is where the funding for this season has come from. I assume anybody on our books will be sold in the summer that attracts a bid-Keogh being the only one who will attract decent money.

Nonleagueherewecome

Do you believe that the club has made a loss since SISU took over and, if so, who do you think has been making up that shortfall?

They may have lost money in the first few seasons, but not this season. No chance. Our transfer balance sheet is almost entirely cash coming in, and at each step the wage bill has got lower.

Lukas 1.5-2.25m
Aron 300-500k
Turner 750k
Sturridge 150k

That plus gate receipts and the smallest wage bill in the division is probably a bit of a profit.

BurbageSkyBlues

Don't think Sisu have been making good the shortfall, from their own funds.

As far as I can see, all they do is sell players to raise cash to plug the gap - but, at some point (quite soon) this policy will be unsustainable.......there will be no one left to sell!

Nonleagueherewecome

Having just listened to Sean Dyche and Keith Hill on TFLS, the difference between them and us is that whilst they also sell every window, they have brought in plenty of new players-who they later sell on at a profit. Speculate to accumulate. We could have got Vaz Te for free in the summer, even if we then sold him at Xmas! Similarly, get King/Westwood on a contract at any cost-you can always sell him for cash! Problem is, this is not the way companies like SISU work: they make money by reducing all overheads, capitalising on assets, and an ultimate sale at profit. Problem is-it doesn't bloody work in football! :facepalm:

SISU do not bankroll the club! They keep us going by selling players, such as Lukas, Aron and Turner. That is where the funding for this season has come from. I assume anybody on our books will be sold in the summer that attracts a bid-Keogh being the only one who will attract decent money.

Dumbest post you have made yet.

Get real. Is you loathing of SISU such that you are blind to the obvious?

Of course SISU have sold players - I said that. But the balance of the shortfall is being financed by SISU, hence the losses. I see you acknowledge as much in your subsequent post.

Last edited:
They may have lost money in the first few seasons, but not this season. No chance. Our transfer balance sheet is almost entirely cash coming in, and at each step the wage bill has got lower.

Lukas 1.5-2.25m
Aron 300-500k
Turner 750k
Sturridge 150k

That plus gate receipts and the smallest wage bill in the division is probably a bit of a profit.

So over their tenure you accept they have made losses - that is the point. The losses exceed the gains. You can pick an argument with your own shadow at times.

Nonleagueherewecome

Dumbest post you have made yet.

Get real. Is you loathing of SISU such that you are blind to the obvious?

Of course SISU have sold players - I said that. But the balance of the shortfall is being financed by SISU, hence the losses. I see you acknowledge as much in your subsequent post.

No, the shortfall is made up by schemes such as mortgaging the ST sales: that much became obvious in the summer. I don't think they are putting their hands in their pockets any more. Dumbass! :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread