Phoenix Rising (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Fair play also to Luton coming up from non league and more than holding their own in this league in less time. Two success stories in a division that doesn’t have many

Grendel

Fair play also to Luton coming up from non league and more than holding their own in this league in less time. Two success stories in a division that doesn’t have many

Millwall have survived for 5 seasons now.

mark82

For me the low point was the 1-2 Sheffield United game at home in the L1 relegation season. The whistling, the pitch invasion, the 87th minute winner for them. There had been some worse performances and results prior to that, but this one felt like rock bottom to me.

The team that day:
  • 23Charles-Cook
  • 30Kelly-Evans
  • 2Willis
  • 4Turnbull
  • 15Page
  • 6Rose
  • 5Bigirimana
  • 12McCann
  • 9Agyei
  • 17Sordell
  • 21Wright

giphy.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

So are Luton to be fair , both spent most their time in this league than any other individual league

We've still got 4 more years in the top flight than the second tier ATM

Which is true but Luton fell down to non league and have fought their way back up in impressive time. Millwall didn’t quite plumb the depths.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was there I just can't remember it 🤣

A bit hazy but I think Slade dropped Haynes and DKE for two centre backs which meant Nathan Clarke was there being outpaced by a snail shaped like James Vaughan or possibly Nicky Ajose. Then he put actual full backs on and we scored

Great_Expectations

The relegation season was absolutely tragic in every sense. The obvious exception and highlight being the Wembley trip and victory.

One of those starting lines up from earlier in the thread featured Wright and Agyei as two of our three strikers. They were two of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen in my life, especially Wright.

Weirdly I was talking about this last night with a few fans of other teams and looking back I don’t know why I kept going to each game - it certainly wasn’t enjoyable!

Philosorapter

The turn around is truly remarkable, but I am worried about how people seem to think Friday will just be some procession that Peterborough will let us waltz through to take top spot and then the impending meltdown if it doesn't happen both on here and in the stands

I for one have missed the meltdowns on here.

There is nothing like people taking diametrically opposed views of the same game on a thread and then lobbing in a metaphorical loaded hand-grenade and standing well back.

harvey098

Not sure about lowest point but certainly the turning point was league 2, Wycombe Away. Snatching a point with 10 men. That was literally when the whole thing turned on it’s head to get us to where we are now imo

kg82

The 2-1 home defeat to Worcester was when I thought wow what the fuck has happened to my football club!
That was terrible… especially for me! Live just outside Worcester, 3-4 of my mates went (in the Worcester end). I got pelters all that day and for the next week. To add insult to injury, I was living in Preston at the time, but travelling home that day. Got into New Street just in time for all the Worcester fans to get on the same train as me. Delightful.

I tuned out of that awful season in L1 and I was expecting worse to come. So I don’t remember many games from that season (but easier to do that when you’re overseas). But, the lowest point I can remember is being on holiday in a bar in Vietnam and SSN being on. We were playing Yeovil at home. Yeovil scored to go 3-1 up and it went to the report and they showed the goal. Anyway, 10 seconds later my mate said “they’re going back to the Ricoh”. I turned around, hoping we’d got back into it, except it was the same goal. Whatever they were using to show the game glitched and played the whole report and goal on a loop for the next 2 hours. It was only once I got WiFi that I realised it had actually got a lot worse!

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure about lowest point but certainly the turning point was league 2, Wycombe Away. Snatching a point with 10 men. That was literally when the whole thing turned on it’s head to get us to where we are now imo

That was a couple of days later. Bayliss went down and McNulty put it away from the spot late on to win 1-0

JimmyHillsbeard

This felt like a low point.
5 Nov 2016

Away in the FA Cup first round to Morecambe. We didn’t lose (and won the replay) but it felt desperately lucky. Crowd of under 2k, Jerry Sterry scored his only goal for us and I remember the desperation that Jack Bean would actually prove to be the salvation from the ear-cupping Andre Wright and Dan Agey.

City team
1Burge
30Kelly-Evans
2Willis
4Turnbull
22SterryBooked at 79mins
6Rose
31Stevenson
17Sordell
8LameirasBooked at 90mins
11ReidSubstituted forMcBeanat 45'minutes
21WrightSubstituted forMaycockat 78'minutes
Substitutes
10Jones
18Ricketts
19McBean
20Tudgay
23Charles-Cook
29Harries
35Maycock

There’s actually 13mins of video here:

Fergusons_Beard

League 2 though
the 6-2 v Yeovil was a big wobble
Also where might we have been today if we hadn't got some generous decisions in the play off semi?

The making of Dom Hyam that match.

He was completed left flat footed for pace in that game.

Spoke to him about it after the Div 2 last game and he acknowledged it himself.

Absolutely amazing turnaround and never really been beaten for pace since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sbarcher

With you there about Oxford. It was an atrocious performance- we left when the 4th goal went in and I knew then we were probably going down, and it was only November. The only positive was that I was home in 25 minutes….
Yes, but the pies were fantastic.

fernandopartridge

This felt like a low point.
5 Nov 2016

Away in the FA Cup first round to Morecambe. We didn’t lose (and won the replay) but it felt desperately lucky. Crowd of under 2k, Jerry Sterry scored his only goal for us and I remember the desperation that Jack Bean would actually prove to be the salvation from the ear-cupping Andre Wright and Dan Agey.

City team
1Burge
30Kelly-Evans
2Willis
4Turnbull
22SterryBooked at 79mins
6Rose
31Stevenson
17Sordell
8LameirasBooked at 90mins
11ReidSubstituted forMcBeanat 45'minutes
21WrightSubstituted forMaycockat 78'minutes
Substitutes
10Jones
18Ricketts
19McBean
20Tudgay
23Charles-Cook
29Harries
35Maycock

There’s actually 13mins of video here:
It was very cold there that day. I remember McBean coming on, he really demonstrated the massive gap between u23 and first team football

donald_trumps

The relegation season was absolutely tragic in every sense. The obvious exception and highlight being the Wembley trip and victory.

One of those starting lines up from earlier in the thread featured Wright and Agyei as two of our three strikers. They were two of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen in my life, especially Wright.

Weirdly I was talking about this last night with a few fans of other teams and looking back I don’t know why I kept going to each game - it certainly wasn’t enjoyable!

You clung on and kept going because that is what makes this “the beautiful game” - who could have predicted our rise up the leagues, but in many sports this would have been impossible, but football allows us all to dream and sometimes these dreams come true. Although these last few seasons are way better then anything I could have dreamt of!

hill83

You clung on and kept going because that is what makes this “the beautiful game” - who could have predicted our rise up the leagues, but in many sports this would have been impossible, but football allows us all to dream and sometimes these dreams come true. Although these last few seasons are way better then anything I could have dreamt of!

I wasn’t too far off tbf

Users who are viewing this thread