Ban?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

I'm not in favour of banning anyone. I'm most definitely not on board with the current trend for 'cancelling' and 'no platforming' people. In this case it's probably a troll, but if it were a genuinely nasty person then having access to a chat site with tolerant people is the best treatment available. If you don't like him/her, don't interact with him/her - nobody is forcing you to do so.

I agree. Platforming is a just a way to try and stop discussion

Some long standing posters have been banned in my view unfairly

shmmeee

Just ignore people you don’t like.

Id ban people if they are derailing threads and making the forum not work as it should for discussion. But not for just being a dickhead. Most of the regular posters would be banned under those rules ;)

TTG

Thank you for all the replies I am realitivly inexperienced with the forum so will add to ignore list.

Homophobia has no place in football or in life. Online forum or not.

mrtrench

Thank you for all the replies I am realitivly inexperienced with the forum so will add to ignore list.

Agreed. But we all have different opinions, some of them quite distasteful to others - once we start silencing people for homophobia what next? And, of course, the best way of persuading someone they are wrong is through example and engagement - not exile.

rob9872

He reminds me of 'SeeyaGunnerson', or did he become 'Valiant/The Coventrian'?
Nah he tried to be funny. He wasn't funny, but the coventrians just an out and out c**t. Cant be banning people though like some said put him on ignore. I think this place needs brightening up at the mo with no footie chat so just observe and dont get involved with him, but id be lying if i said i didnt find the arguments and some of the reactions mildly entertaining.

Paxman II

When you start banning you are denying free speech, and the ability to understand all viewpoints. But excessive abusive post that become threatening need a warning. Most of us have thick skins, and can give as good as we get.

Grendel

It’s hard to believe that anyone actually felt genuinely threatened by it.

Sky Blue Kid regularly used to PM me to ask to meet him so he could smash my face in. Once he asked to meet at “his gaff” I pointed out a soup kitchen in some welsh shit hole really wasn’t for me

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Simple solution - ignore the WUM/troll. Clearly doing it for the attention and getting people's backs up so ignore it. Don't reply to anything ever. If they aren't getting any attention, short term they'll try and up the ante with the insults but if you continue to ignore them they'll get bored and go away.

Like a kid throwing a tantrum. Ignore the tantrum and they'll eventually stop. Keep on reacting to them and they'll carry on with them.

bawtryneal

The freedom of speech argument is a bit bollocks though isn’t it. People can say what they want but this is a private forum and if you allow any old shit regular posters will disappear, the trolls stop as there is nobody to troll and the whole things ends up shut down.

100% agree.
Banter and piss take are fine
Insults about "getting a bullet" and homophobic comments out of order.

hill83

calling someone a faggot isn’t homophobic

giphy.gif

rob9872

I’ve literally been in a massive fight coming out of rainbows with my gay cousin as he was repeatedly kicked in the head and called a “fucking faggott”. Let me just double check with him to see if that was homophobic or not. Give me a minute.
I agree that it is a homophobic name, but if I was gay, I think I'd rather be called that 1000 times than be 'repeatedly kicked in the head'

Liquid Gold

I’ve literally been in a massive fight coming out of rainbows with my gay cousin as he was repeatedly kicked in the head and called a “fucking faggott”. Let me just double check with him to see if that was homophobic or not. Give me a minute.
Gay actually means happy, are you saying your cousin is happy guy? Anything to do with him being in a homosexual bar?

cc84cov

No need to add to ignore mate he’s been banned I believe

Reactions: TTG

Grendel

Well depends on context

Stokes received 1 match ban and fine

Grendel

So it can be homophobic depending on the context then. Thanks.

Or it can just be a insult without any particular context

better days

I always tell people who've been the subject of online abuse that the perpetrator is usually a 25 stone weirdo who lives at home with his mum and never leaves his bedroom

Johnnythespider

16 year old virgin with anger issues, much like the one giving Ian Wright the full Alf Garnett treatment in the week

Users who are viewing this thread