Peter Bankes needs investigating (5 Viewers)

messiahrobins

He was the VAR head guy apparently. People need to establish where he lives, where he has lived, where he grew up and any historic social media posts he has made.
That VAR decision looks worse the more you look at it, it was obviously corrupt and Clive Eakin and Rob Gurney are totally wrong to try and say there was no corruption involved.
I will bet that if Bankes is investigated there will be some link to Man Utd.
Fans of every club in the country are saying corruption was involved, we have to take this further, as that was utterly criminal yesterday. The fact we may have got absolutely hammered by Man City in the final is utterly irrelevant, the integrity of the sport is now in question as Nottingham Forest have had the balls to come out and say.
There should be some very pointed chants and/or banners made on Wednesday as well that are controversial and get media coverage that call the FA a corrupt organisation as well as Bankes.
They literally painted a line over the defenders foot to make Wright offside. What the actual fuck!!

Last edited:

The watchmaker

Don't do this to yourself. In my opinion the decision was wrong but this guy was just doing his job. In my view it is the offside rule itself that is to blame. He has applied it and come up with an answer that is not in the spirit of the game but... it is what it is. Rough justice is part of football.

End of the day winning the cup was a big ask. What is important here is what we take from it. We've gone out with our heads held high. If we smash hull and sneak playoffs, or if we go up next season, we will look back at this as just another step on our journey that showed where we belong.

messiahrobins

Don't do this to yourself. In my opinion the decision was wrong but this guy was just doing his job. In my view it is the offside rule itself that is to blame. He has applied it and come up with an answer that is not in the spirit of the game but... it is what it is. Rough justice is part of football.

End of the day winning the cup was a big ask. What is important here is what we take from it. We've gone out with our heads held high. If we smash hull and sneak playoffs, or if we go up next season, we will look back at this as just another step on our journey that showed where we belong.
No cannot agree. Corruption in the Establishment is a major problem, and it is naive to think he just made a mistake. That was pre-determined decision to ensure an all Manchester final to appease TV execs.
If people just accept these things, it will get worse, and the Nottingham Forest Statement and reaction from the Establishment speaks volumes as to how nervous they feel.

rob9872

But it's ok really ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240423_003309_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240423_003309_Google.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 78

Briles

No cannot agree. Corruption in the Establishment is a major problem, and it is naive to think he just made a mistake. That was pre-determined decision to ensure an all Manchester final to appease TV execs.
If people just accept these things, it will get worse, and the Nottingham Forest Statement and reaction from the Establishment speaks volumes as to how nervous they feel.

If the powers that be were corrupt and wanted an all Manchester final we wouldn't have got that last minute pen

skyblueelephant76

He was the VAR head guy apparently. People need to establish where he lives, where he has lived, where he grew up and any historic social media posts he has made.
That VAR decision looks worse the more you look at it, it was obviously corrupt and Clive Eakin and Rob Gurney are totally wrong to try and say there was no corruption involved.
I will bet that if Barnes is investigated there will be some link to Man Utd.
Fans of every club in the country are saying corruption was involved, we have to take this further, as that was utterly criminal yesterday. The fact we may have got absolutely hammered by Man City in the final is utterly irrelevant, the integrity of the sport is now in question as Nottingham Forest have had the balls to come out and say.
There should be some very pointed chants and/or banners made on Wednesday as well that are controversial and get media coverage that call the FA a corrupt organisation as well as Barnes.
They literally painted a line over the defenders foot to make Wright offside. What the actual fuck!!
If it's corruption why didn't they overturn the slightly fortunate penalty we got?

Londonccfcfan

There should be some very pointed chants and/or banners made on Wednesday as well that are controversial and get media coverage that call the FA a corrupt organisation as well as Barnes.
They literally painted a line over the defenders foot to make Wright offside. What the actual fuck!!e guy

Steady on fella the same guy that verified the the pen in injury time?

Let's move on.

Briles

Oh when on field was no pen. That is never going to get overturned either way.

What I cant seem to grasp is when a ref GIVES a decision like a pen and its a not clear and obvious error, its not checked by VAR. But when a ref DOESNT give a decision and its not clear an obvious error, it is checked. Seems to happen all the time.

long way home

The decision for the pen was made on field and hard if not impossible for to him to over rule off it. If the pen wasn't given on the field he would of not given off it.

Now all goals are checked, but if you wanted to you can make any decision that is tight offside to match the outcome you want, the individual can. You just make the point of the ball leaving the passers foot millisecond longer, therefore making the receiving player move past the line you already have placed on the defensive player.

Var is ridged up, but its not just us its gone against, every week the same incident has a different outcome. On field call is big, but this system which was there to make sure nothing big was missed is now controlling the game and its outcome across the country.

The way to solve it is instant offside through a technology, i think adidas have come up with something in the ball that stops this sort of incident being a big topic. Or go back to assistants making calls and basically saying if its to tight to call benefit goes to attacking team.

Either way, too much money for things not to be manipulated and nieve to think otherwise. The whole world is at it, not just a Wembley semi final and nothing against us. More for those who need the money to flow. We would be better off understanding this and moving on holding onto and being proud of what we are.

Otis

Agree

Part of the reason everyone loves us at the moment is the composure and dignity shown by Mark and the club.
Not sure it would help the team either if we refuse to get over it no matter how sore we feel . Forest have been slapped down already- would hate us to go down that conspiracy route.
Yeah, I don't think there is any conspiracy to be found here at all. Same with Forest, which I find a little embarrassing. If they are going to vet every official , you would have hardly any officials left to officiate.

This, yesterday.was just hasty, ill-judged, incompetence.

I can't believe for a single second that anyone on the VAR panel wanted us to lose, or would aid Man U in winning.

It's fantasy stuff.😂

Jim

Taking a step back and looking at the offside, it was technically correct given the facts presented at the time.

However it does beg a couple of questions.

Firstly, there are too many margins for error in the process.

At what point in time is the snapshot taken? Foot striking ball? Ball leaving foot? In this case Callum scooped the ball so there was a slightly extended time when the ball was in contact with him.

The frame rate had also been questioned and the various distances travelled etc have been measured.

So to make a decision on that fine a margin with the margins of error involved makes me that the process should change to a cricket like review.

Ie it’s too close for us to call either way so therefore it either goes back to the referee to re watch and decide or the on pitch decision stands.

Secondly, even assuming that VAR is all correct and margin of error removed, the context of offside and the spirit of the rule needs to be looked at.

in this case Bassaka was tracking back and Wright has actually paused. There was no “goal hanging” or clear intention to gain an advantage by being ahead of the defender.

I really don’t think there is a corrupt decision in this case - it was far easier for the officials to ignore our penalty shout or even give the handball against us.

The offside rule and the interaction of VAR is what needs closer scrutiny in order to preserve the flow and spirit of the game we love.

long way home

I don't think its fantasy to think a multi million pound worldwide industry could use technology to get the desired effect they seek.

It happens in everyday life with everyday things. And to say its a conspiracy or someone is a conspiracy theorist for stating the obvious isn't right.

Now for the game itself was it offside we will never know, but my opinion is if its too close to call its on, same as cricket with umpires call they has to be a margin of error alowed even with the use of technology.

David O'Day

What I cant seem to grasp is when a ref GIVES a decision like a pen and its a not clear and obvious error, its not checked by VAR. But when a ref DOESNT give a decision and its not clear an obvious error, it is checked. Seems to happen all the time.
because the clear and obvious rule doesn't apply to offsides, it's wrong but it never has applied.

Calista

A perfectly sensible explanation for drawing of the lines was posted on another thread. As we look at it, the attacker’s toe touches the LEFT side of the red line, and the defender’s toe touches the RIGHT side of the blue line (hence being drawn over the boot). Any separation (no matter how small) between the lines says offside. Maybe consider that possibility before openly proposing to stalk an FA official?

It’s a ridiculously over-precise measuring system that takes no account of the uncertainties in photo frames etc., and gives no benefit of the doubt to the attacker. But it’s not a conspiracy.

fernandopartridge

A perfectly sensible explanation for drawing of the lines was posted on another thread. As we look at it, the attacker’s toe touches the LEFT side of the red line, and the defender’s toe touches the RIGHT side of the blue line (hence being drawn over the boot). Any separation (no matter how small) between the lines says offside. Maybe consider that possibility before openly proposing to stalk an FA official?

It’s a ridiculously over-precise measuring system that takes no account of the uncertainties in photo frames etc., and gives no benefit of the doubt to the attacker. But it’s not a conspiracy.

Trying to make the rules so precise seems to miss the point of the rules in the first place, that few mm is not a meaningful advantage to the attacking player

chiefdave

Taking a step back and looking at the offside, it was technically correct given the facts presented at the time.

However it does beg a couple of questions.

Firstly, there are too many margins for error in the process.

At what point in time is the snapshot taken? Foot striking ball? Ball leaving foot? In this case Callum scooped the ball so there was a slightly extended time when the ball was in contact with him.

The frame rate had also been questioned and the various distances travelled etc have been measured.

So to make a decision on that fine a margin with the margins of error involved makes me that the process should change to a cricket like review.

Ie it’s too close for us to call either way so therefore it either goes back to the referee to re watch and decide or the on pitch decision stands.

Secondly, even assuming that VAR is all correct and margin of error removed, the context of offside and the spirit of the rule needs to be looked at.

in this case Bassaka was tracking back and Wright has actually paused. There was no “goal hanging” or clear intention to gain an advantage by being ahead of the defender.

I really don’t think there is a corrupt decision in this case - it was far easier for the officials to ignore our penalty shout or even give the handball against us.

The offside rule and the interaction of VAR is what needs closer scrutiny in order to preserve the flow and spirit of the game we love.
They also said on the radio, stated as if it was an accepted fact that everyone knows, that the VAR system uses AI to enhance and sharpen the image. Is that correct because I've never heard that mentioned before and adds more to the potential for a margin of error.

Travs

The issue with VAR is not the individual decision on sunday... in "today's game" (and i fucking hate that expression) it was probably the correct decision, however ridiculous we think the rules are.

The problem is the wider issue of what its taken from the game of football....

1) Rules are now being re-written for the benefit of VAR.... does anyone really know how to interpret the offside or handball rules fully... or vague statements like "being out of control" when making a tackle?

2) On the same lines, rules of the game being re-written for VAR, when VAR doesn't apply to the vast majority of football matches played across the professional world.

3) Surely the beauty of football is that the same rules are applied from the very top level, to the sunday leagues.... this is clearly not possible with VAR.... the back-pass rule introduction was massively controversial, but at least it was clear.

That is all completely aside from the massive fact that it has ruined the game as a spectacle..... we have lost possibly our greatest moment for a generation.... but there are similar examples every weekend.... if our decision on sunday had been made by a linesman putting a flag up, play would have been stopped, we could have a moan about it, but then get on with it..... to leave the goal to be scored, then piss about for 5 minutes and then disallow it is an insult to fans paying to attend, regardless of who is on the recieving end of the decision.... i said the same with our opening goal against Wolves, and it was equally as ridiculous with the Luton "goal" at the end of the playoff final (how could that be a handball if he scored, but not a handball if he passed it to someone else to score)

Its completely fucked the game up at the top level (along with many other things). Perhaps as fans we might reconsider our comments next time a ref or linesman makes a howling (human) error during one of our games, and we all start calling for VAR in the championship.

wingy

Anyway why didn't the ref intervene with the Haji pen , dawdling around like a penalty take,oh it was a big time Charlie at St Mary's,must have been different rule's from a bent official trying to influence the game.
Well done and recovered both official and player to get it out of his mind!

Users who are viewing this thread