Perspective (1 Viewer)

pitts head

It was always going to be a transitional season with the big turnaround in the squad.
We have repalced the Gyokeres and Hamer goals with Simms and Wright.
We have a squad of players we actually own (bar 1 loan) compared to last season.
Potential Top half finish.
FA Cup Semi Final.
I for one am encouraged by this season.

David O'Day

This is about where we should be. Last season, we basically had a striker that will sign for a top European level club and a midfielder who was in the form of his life. We own these players now, so apart from O'hare, we just need to add rather than replace them again.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Moments Father GIF

fatso

It was always going to be a transitional season with the big turnaround in the squad.
We have repalced the Gyokeres and Hamer goals with Simms and Wright.
We have a squad of players we actually own (bar 1 loan) compared to last season.
Potential Top half finish.
FA Cup Semi Final.
I for one am encouraged by this season.
Why are you still banging on about Gyokeres and Hamer ffs?
That pair didn't play against Leicester at home, Leeds at home and Wolves away, so what's your point exactly?

Chris1987

So much crap spoken on here today. Granted the performance was dreadful but some of the stuff spoken about players saving themselves for the SF was utter bollocks Those who spouted forth comments of this nature take a reality check. Ask yourself what would a player want most of all , to play in the PL or play in the Cup Final ? Any sane response will be the former.

Gint11

Why are you still banging on about Gyokeres and Hamer ffs?
That pair didn't play against Leicester at home, Leeds at home and Wolves away, so what's your point exactly?

Agreed. And we still lost games with them in the team.

Gint11

There’s no reason why we shouldn’t at least finish in the top 6 next year. The club is in the best shape it’s been in for many years, and I’m excited to see who we bring in in the summer. Bring on next season

Seeing this a lot. Not sure why we are all so convinced on a top 6 finish to be honest. It depends if we keep the players we want!

Chris1987

Seeing this a lot. Not sure why we are all so convinced on a top 6 finish to be honest. It depends if we keep the players we want!
It's a fair conclusion. Based on having an almost new starting 11:that really didn't get going until 16:games had gone because all the loan signings had to be replaced it's been a good season. This summer we will just be adding to the core. Are you anticipating a big exodus ?

SkyblueTexan

We were in the playoff places at the end of Jan/early Feb and DK tasked us to make the playoffs in 3 out of 5 seasons. So from that standpoint we have failed especially in the last few matches like vs Cardiff (2 own goals after taking the lead), today against a a team that had not won in forever, pathetic first half vs Soton (even in MR's own words). We've blown leads with the last kick of the game vs Huddersfield and Swansea. A lot of mental toughness is needed if this team wants to harbour promotion aspirations next season. Hey if Ipswich can go from League 1 to the EPL in consecutive seasons (which I think they will), then we cannot be satisfied until the end goal of making the Prem is achieved.

Deity

So much crap spoken on here today. Granted the performance was dreadful but some of the stuff spoken about players saving themselves for the SF was utter bollocks Those who spouted forth comments of this nature take a reality check. Ask yourself what would a player want most of all , to play in the PL or play in the Cup Final ? Any sane response will be the former.
I haven’t seen a single post saying the players deliberately didn’t try yesterday.

What I have seen are comments saying the players may have sub consciously had one eye on next weekend and that was part of the problem.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I didn't go yesterday but the result and apparent performance was incredibly disappointing. I'd have classed top 8 as a good result before the season started (especially with an FA Cup semi final thrown in!) But i think it's human nature to want more and feel disappointed when it all looks there for the taking.

Let's just hope that next season sees us have a fucking good go at the top 6, i do think we are only a couple of good signings away from being a genuine top 4 contender.

Deity

With our level of summer investment I think we should have made the play offs if I’m honest but the settling in period took too long, not helped by Robins persisting with a formation that wasn’t working and not giving Simms enough minutes to find any form or confidence.

However I have much preferred our style of play this season. We have had some truly memorabie moments, and we are building a team to compete.

The summer should be an exciting one.

Gint11

We've nearly finished in the top 6 and will add to the squad , nothing to worry about

Agreed and I’m sure we’ll be fine but my point is, we could sell some of our players like Sheaf and then the tables turn.

Robinshio

one thing about owning your own players, but getting some quality loans in can be the difference, I think that is where we lost it this season

Deity

one thing about owning your own players, but getting some quality loans in can be the difference, I think that is where we lost it this season
I don’t want to go back to having 3 or 4 unproven loans at the club but 1 or 2 very good proven players can be beneficial. I think we have seen the difference that loans have made to Ipsw and Hull from the January window.

The issue is that these players are expensive to loan ( loan fee/ wages ) and your only return is if they make the difference and get you promotion. If they don’t then you have largely wasted your money.

It’s a difficult balance to strike ….

bigfatronssba

As a transition season, all I wanted this year was to be in with a chance of the playoffs, and we’ve done that.

The club overall has improved yet again this season (even if league position hasn’t) and next season we’ll be a real force to be reckoned with.

My only frustration stems from the mentality of the team at times. There is no excuse for the half arsed performance yesterday.

MAFF

I didn’t really except us to get play offs at any point this season but yesterdays performance was completely unacceptable. They better produce the performance of their lives against United next week.

clint van damme

Doug has hopefully realised you dont get comfortably top 6 without utilising loans

Just because he cant turn a profit on them you cant ignore them, its integral to have 1 or 2 prem quality loans to make that difference

Lets see if hes learnt his lesson this summer

We turned 1 mil into 20 because of a player who started as a loanee, its short sighted not to use the system. Hope you're right and he can see its benefits.

Hobo

We still have a relatively small squad, although better than last year. We are still having to put two untried kids on the bench each week.

If you look at Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, WBA and Norwich they all have bigger squads and have spent far more on players than us.

It looks like the requirements in the summer will be:
Replace, O'Hare, Godden, Kelly and Binks. We need a RB and another RW. Personally I think we also need a better keeper than either Collins or Wilson.

We will get at least another year out of Bidwell, but no harm in starting the search as I don't think the answer is Dasilva.

Chris1987

I haven’t seen a single post saying the players deliberately didn’t try yesterday.

What I have seen are comments saying the players may have sub consciously had one eye on next weekend and that was part of the problem.
I am sorry to say that there are a good number in the match thread

Deity

Doug has hopefully realised you dont get comfortably top 6 without utilising loans

Just because he cant turn a profit on them you cant ignore them, its integral to have 1 or 2 prem quality loans to make that difference

Lets see if hes learnt his lesson this summer

I think Hull are the team that have adopted this model this season followed by Ipsw

In January they were 2 points ahead of us. They invested heavily on loans and today are …. 2 points ahead of us !

Ipsw also have invested in quality loans. They were top or second in January and brought in 2 loans and today are either first or second …

It’s really not as straight forward as people would have you believe …. Most clubs sign loan players because they cannot afford to buy players of a similar capability themselves.

I do think there is a place for them but it’s not a guarantee of a better outcome

Saddlebrains

I think Hull are the team that have adopted this model this season followed by Ipsw

In January they were 2 points ahead of us. They invested heavily on loans and today are …. 2 points ahead of us !

Ipsw also have invested in quality loans. They were top or second in January and brought in 2 loans and today are either first or second …

It’s really not as straight forward as people would have you believe …. Most clubs sign loan players because they cannot afford to buy players of a similar capability themselves.

I do think there is a place for them but it’s not a guarantee of a better outcome

That is true, but Hull for example have took it to extremes and have a massive wage bill and rebuild now because of it

If we can add 3 or 4 signings of quality, with 1 or 2 prospects, a premier league level loan or 2 could make the difference

Users who are viewing this thread