Perspective (1 Viewer)

procdoc

There are a lot of new players in this squad. Some of them have only just moved to the country. Anyone that knows anything about football will know it takes time to gel so many new players into a cohesive unit.

Then there is the factor of getting used to our system, our tempo, the way we train, positioning, getting to know each others strengths and weaknesses. There are so many factors that need to be considered.

Despite all of this, we have played reasonably well across the first three league games.
Some of you are writing the new players off already and it is completely unjustified. They are working hard and at times the football has generally been good. There will be a lack of cohesion at times. There will a lack of communication at times. But they all have the ability and the pedigree to adapt.

Some of the comments I have seen are downright embarrassing so maybe get a bit of perspective

The Great Eastern

Some of the criticism of certain new players this summer is utterly brainless. As I said on another thread, Drogba took well over a year to settle in at Chelsea and look at what a player he turned out to be.
Some of our supporters ought to have a very close at themselves in their treatment from the terraces of players like Kevin Kyle. The man needed encouragement, not booing. It was shameful. No player ever played better as a result of booing....

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Moments Father GIF

Grendel

There are a lot of new players in this squad. Some of them have only just moved to the country. Anyone that knows anything about football will know it takes time to gel so many new players into a cohesive unit.

Then there is the factor of getting used to our system, our tempo, the way we train, positioning, getting to know each others strengths and weaknesses. There are so many factors that need to be considered.

Despite all of this, we have played reasonably well across the first three league games.
Some of you are writing the new players off already and it is completely unjustified. They are working hard and at times the football has generally been good. There will be a lack of cohesion at times. There will a lack of communication at times. But they all have the ability and the pedigree to adapt.

Some of the comments I have seen are downright embarrassing so maybe get a bit of perspective

The start has been fine - we should have beat Leicester - Swansea is never exactly a happy place for us so not bad really

Grendel

We have played reasonably well in all three. You can clearly see we are aiming to be more possession based and that tactical adjustment will even take the established players a bit of time to get used to

Although people get very sensitive when I say anything I do worry Da Silva gets caught too easily with balls over him and getting out of position on counter attacks

procdoc

Although people get very sensitive when I say anything I do worry Da Silva gets caught too easily with balls over him and getting out of position on counter attacks
That’s a fair assessment. Also I don’t think Lati looks particularly comfortable as the LCB, but I suppose it will take him time to get used to it

bigfatronssba

And superbly in patches. Promising I'd say, and in some ways easier on the eye than last season.

To be honest, while results are obviously important, I have been just as interested in seeing the potential of the new signings, since they are on quite long contracts. And I like a lot of what I see.

If you assume Leicester are this years Burnley, we’ve matched last years results so far.

Calista

But it's clear that the wingbacks have been asked to push high up the pitch. If we lose the ball there are definitely going to be times when the space behind the wingbacks will be exploited. They can't be everywhere at once so will be 'out of position'. There are inherent risks (as well as rewards) in playing that way.

Grendel

But it's clear that the wingbacks have been asked to push high up the pitch. If we lose the ball there are definitely going to be times when the space behind the wingbacks will be exploited. They can't be everywhere at once so will be 'out of position'. There are inherent risks (as well as rewards) in playing that way.

Bidwell was often our highest player up the pitch

rob9872

Agree either a lot of what's been posted, buy not Kevin Kyle, he deserved it all and more.

Calista

Bidwell was often our highest player up the pitch
Yes and despite that, mostly did a fine job of defending too. It's such a tough position to play. Bidwell is more limited on the ball than Da Silva, which I presume is why he's lost his place (at least for now) but I hope he stays because you need different types of player in that position according to the circumstances.

Finham

Agreed. If we're serious about having competition for every position rather than picking a perceived "first choice", surely Bidwell deserves a start there soon?

Darth Robins

And superbly in patches. Promising I'd say, and in some ways easier on the eye than last season.

To be honest, while results are obviously important, I have been just as interested in seeing the potential of the new signings, since they are on quite long contracts. And I like a lot of what I see.

Yeah, my only thoughts really are how excited I am for when this team really gels. There's been periods where we look like we could rip just about anybody apart, once we get our best 11 settled and stop switching off after a goal I think could be in for a really fun season!

AFCCOVENTRY

For me we’re still going to take a bit more time to gel and we need a few more players in, especially a marquee midfield signing to replace Hamer. But, we’ve not been done over by any teams in the first 3 league games and on paper we don’t have the easiest of starts. A lot of positives to work off.

Terry Gibson's perm

This start is fine didn’t expect much at Leicester and would have taken a point today at the start.

Grendel

tbf one person ain't a trend.

Simms is getting pelters on the other thread

He’d better get onto a “how to take a selfie” course and learn to smile a lot

NorthernWisdom

Simms is getting pelters on the other thread

He’d better get onto a “how to take a selfie” course and learn to smile a lot
Thought he looked OK in the first couple of games tbh - not stunning, but alright. Can't speak for yesterday. Goals will come, but we do often seem to judge strikers on whether they score or not. A few times Gyokeres had lost form when he was still causing havoc, he just hadn't scored while doing so.

slowpoke

I think we will develop into a really good team, will take a few games and with some more additions we will take some beating imo, would like to see us become a bit more positive when on the edge of the opponents box but I think that will come.

skyblu3sk

I'm buzzing to be honest cash in hand to get new players in. Starting to see the quality that some of the players can bring to the team that have come in. Could do with a bit more attacking creativity but Robins knows that and it will come. Have taken points from tough matches too.

Most importantly I don't feel like the owner could pull the rug and screw it up at any time.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm buzzing to be honest cash in hand to get new players in. Starting to see the quality that some of the players can bring to the team that have come in. Could do with a bit more attacking creativity but Robins knows that and it will come.

Most importantly I don't feel like the owner could pull the rug and screw it up at any time.
Must say to allow Robins seemingly all of the transfer proceeds brought in to be used on new players is probably not what most of us thought likely at the start. Can’t say fairer than that.

Mucca Mad Boys

4 points from 3 games isn’t worthy of pressing the panic button. We’ve lost Hamer and Gyokeres and we have to adapt to that. Especially replacing Hamer because we haven’t made any signings in that department and there’s some to come.

Shout out to the fellow SBA in the Swansea Premier Inn!

skyblu3sk

Must say to allow Robins seemingly all of the transfer proceeds brought in to be used on new players is probably not what most of us thought likely at the start. Can’t say fairer than that.
Agreed its odd to just automatically get the money to invest but that's the sisu era still embedded in us!

NorthernWisdom

Isn't it. Still have to see if we spend the Hamer cash mind you... and for that matter that did end up undisclosed, so may well be not as much as hoped for.

Last edited:

theferret

What's all this hysteria about? Support from the crowd at all 3 games has been positive, as it has been for several years. We back the players superbly. That's what matters. If Geoff from Wyken wants to whinge about Da Silva's choice of moisturizer on tik tok, who gives a fuck?

People are mistaking the internet for the real world and getting proper wound up by the random opinions of strangers. Give over.

Users who are viewing this thread