Penalties (1 Viewer)

steve cooper

I was really disappointed to see some of the comments around social media regarding the missed penalty yesterday, and the fact that MW felt the need to respond the way he did is a sad state of affairs, and just shows how negative comments generally can affect player morale.
Just looking at Euro 2020 (2021) in normal play 8 of the world's top players missed penalties (including Kane who put the rebound away), that was out of 17 taken in total.
In the penalty shootouts the success rate was 61.11% including our national team only scoring 2 out of 5.
Goalkeepers are just like any other top sports people, they practice, practice, practice, and do their homework on teams and their likely penalty takers so it's no surprise that they are getting better at saving them. At least Gyo got it on target which is more than can be said for many of the world class players who don't even force a save out of the keeper.

Gint11

Pens are a lottery. Even the best miss. You just can’t replicate it in training. I used to score pens in training all day every day and then when it mattered, shat my brick

cc84cov

Pens are a lottery. Even the best miss. You just can’t replicate it in training. I used to score pens in training all day every day and then when it mattered, shat my brick
Waghorn has a record of 20 from 24 attempts hence why the entire fan base is asking why he didn’t take it and robins has now put him on pens

Gint11

Waghorn has a record of 20 from 24 attempts hence why the entire fan base is asking why he didn’t take it and robins has now put him on pens

Yeah I would have thought it was a given especially after he took one against Wolves.
Bizarre but it is difficult when Gyko offers. It would have undermined him to take the ball off him tbf

steve cooper

Gyo was pretty insistent that he was going to take it by accounts, and the last thing we want to see is 2 of our own players arguing in the last minute over a penalty. MR should have sorted it before the season started, sorted now apparently.

cc84cov

Gyo was pretty insistent that he was going to take it by accounts, and the last thing we want to see is 2 of our own players arguing in the last minute over a penalty. MR should have sorted it before the season started, sorted now apparently.
100% onwards and upwards

COV

Call me old fashioned but players should put their boot through it- that way even if the keeper guesses right they’ll have a job to save it. Mess about hitting it lightly and you’re handing a chance to the keeper.

I’m sure I read that statistically the place to hit it to give yourself the highest chance of scoring is high & down the centre.

shearer scored 71 & only failed to score 4- he didn’t fuck about on the run-up & then lightly place it too many times

higgs

100% agree with you they should have all known who would take our penalty before it was even awarded the management team slipped up here and it's cost us a point at the end of the day. Poor error but least we know the designated penalty takers now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cov kid 55

I was really disappointed to see some of the comments around social media regarding the missed penalty yesterday, and the fact that MW felt the need to respond the way he did is a sad state of affairs, and just shows how negative comments generally can affect player morale.
Just looking at Euro 2020 (2021) in normal play 8 of the world's top players missed penalties (including Kane who put the rebound away), that was out of 17 taken in total.
In the penalty shootouts the success rate was 61.11% including our national team only scoring 2 out of 5.
Goalkeepers are just like any other top sports people, they practice, practice, practice, and do their homework on teams and their likely penalty takers so it's no surprise that they are getting better at saving them. At least Gyo got it on target which is more than can be said for many of the world class players who don't even force a save out of the keeper.
Absolutely right. Some of the comments on here and other social media are ridiculous. And someone posted that some ‘fans’ abused Gyokeres at the end of the match which is just shameful. The fact that Waghorn and Dabo have felt it necessary to tweet support for Gyokeres shows that our comments can have a negative effect. A shame that Robins felt the need to state that Waghorn would take future penalties as this could further undermine Gyokeres. Sure, it’s probably the right thing, but keep it in house.

Waghorn and Gyokeres will have a huge say in whether we have a successful season (avoiding relegation?), so why ‘fans’ would want to get on their case in the second game of the season is beyond me. Losing as we did spoilt my Saturday night, but hey, we’re going to lose, perhaps more than we win this season, so some of our ‘fans’ need to grow some, learn to accept the inevitable defeats, and move on, to support the players and team through good and bad. As Dabo said ‘We all win together, we all lose together....‘

COV

Almost anyone can miss a penalty.

The only ones who don't play against us in the Championship!

one if the stattos will know- what’s our penalty record like in terms of saving them? Remember one v Wolves (Westwood?) , and a couple by Oggy but my memory is shot for any others

fatso

Just shows how unprepared we were before the game.
No one was put on pens, MR just waiting to see who stepped up? What a joke, the fact is we wernt ready to get a pen, and we payd the price. Unprepared is unprofessional, the fault is down to the manager.

cc84cov

Just shows how unprepared we were before the game.
No one was put on pens, MR just waiting to see who stepped up? What a joke, the fact is we wernt ready to get a pen, and we payd the price. Unprepared is unprofessional, the fault is down to the manager.
The convo clearly hadn’t taken place had it

fatso

I did notice that a lot of missed penalties happened when the taker tried to be too clever and send the keeper the wrong way, while just passing the ball into the net.
Both Englands successful pens were hit with real power where the 3 missed were barely stroked towards the goal, this gave the keeper a 50-50 chance. If he went the right way, he makes the save.
Gyokres struck his pen with neither power or direction, and again the keeper had a 50-50 chance.
I just hope he learns a lesson, and puts his laces through the next one.

I think the fans get angry, not just because it's a miss, but because they are frustrated by the piss poor effort.

slowpoke

I did notice that a lot of missed penalties happened when the taker tried to be too clever and send the keeper the wrong way, while just passing the ball into the net.
Both Englands successful pens were hit with real power where the 3 missed were barely stroked towards the goal, this gave the keeper a 50-50 chance. If he went the right way, he makes the save.
Gyokres struck his pen with neither power or direction, and again the keeper had a 50-50 chance.
I just hope he learns a lesson, and puts his laces through the next one.

I think the fans get angry, not just because it's a miss, but because they are frustrated by the piss poor effort.
I think the grumbling moaning and frustration was because it was last minute and a point missed.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I scored three penalties all at once a few weeks ago.
They were points on my licence! 😂

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Pity you didn't miss a couple of those
Actually, I told a slight porky when I said "a few weeks ago.." They actually come off my licence in 5 weeks. That was for doing 45pmh in a 30mph zone!

Users who are viewing this thread