Paul dickov (1 Viewer)

kingharvest

He was at the game with Gerry Taggert on Tuesday night although at no point did i see him talk to anyone connected with the club.

Otis

Dickov opted to build a youthful side at Oldhham and made controversial decisions at the start of the season to offload 2009–10 player of the year and club captain Sean Gregan as well as top scorer Paweł Abbott amongst other first team players.

The team went into the New Year in ninth position, with games in hand on the teams above them, and being unbeaten at home in the league. Results in the second half of the season were less consistent and the team finished the season in the bottom half of the table.

On 9 June 2012, Dickov celebrated two years in charge of the Latics. They finished the 2011-12 Season in 16th position in the npower League One, one place higher than the previous season.

Win ratio of 29%

Mouthwatering. :thinking about:

Otis

Last two seasons finished 17th and 16th.

Is that appointment really going to inspire fans and put bums on seats?

Otis

From an Oldham forum some are talking about sacking Dickov.

"Not as daft as it sounds if he got a good quality coach in, I know one or two who are messing about in non league.
Let's face it things can't get much worse and there's only one way the club is heading, needs drastic action now."

And there is also a bit of unrest with the chairman.

Oldham chairman Simon Corney has launched a blistering attack on the club’s players and staff after a shocking start to the season, but boss Paul Dickov has stood by his men.

Speaking to M.E.N. Sport from New York, the owner pulled no punches, claiming that, after one point from nine, the fans have been let down and declaring that ‘people are bored of Oldham Athletic’.

Just 3,142 saw League One Latics limp to a 1-0 defeat at home to Stevenage on Saturday and Corney said dwindling crowds came as ‘no surprise’ and described the club as ‘a failing business’.

Former City star Dickov refused to blast back but added that the comments came as ‘a shock’ and vowed to put things right.

Corney, who went on record to lambast the players after last season ended with a disappointing 16th place finish, said: “It is not the manager’s fault. I have seen them train and I know what goes on. But it does not translate onto the pitch and it is not good enough and he knows that.

“It is horrible to watch. There is no entertainment and no value."

Otis

Sounds like no from everyone.

We need an inspirational figure.

Can't see how the players are going to be inspired by someone who has been in management for just two years and has provided a final league standing of 17th and 16th place with his current club.

It is Sky Sports though. Taken with a pinch of salt?

Otis

From someone on GMK:

Tonylincs:

My mate's an Oldham fan, hates him. Says his tactics are as poor as Thorns and plays square pegs in round holes.

Mucca Mad Boys

If this is true, I'll be pissed!

Rather Blackwell or Ince tbh! (That's saying something!)

Otis

Well that's a bit daft.

I wouldn't want him here and would be opposed to the appointment but as soon as he came I would then back him.

fernandopartridge

He has done well to keep Oldham up, they've got an awful squad and he's had to sell all of their bigger players.

But, they play a negative brand of football and he hasn't got the gravitas that we need imo.

fernandopartridge

From an Oldham forum some are talking about sacking Dickov.

"Not as daft as it sounds if he got a good quality coach in, I know one or two who are messing about in non league.
Let's face it things can't get much worse and there's only one way the club is heading, needs drastic action now."

And there is also a bit of unrest with the chairman.

Oldham chairman Simon Corney has launched a blistering attack on the club’s players and staff after a shocking start to the season, but boss Paul Dickov has stood by his men.

Speaking to M.E.N. Sport from New York, the owner pulled no punches, claiming that, after one point from nine, the fans have been let down and declaring that ‘people are bored of Oldham Athletic’.

Just 3,142 saw League One Latics limp to a 1-0 defeat at home to Stevenage on Saturday and Corney said dwindling crowds came as ‘no surprise’ and described the club as ‘a failing business’.

Former City star Dickov refused to blast back but added that the comments came as ‘a shock’ and vowed to put things right.

Corney, who went on record to lambast the players after last season ended with a disappointing 16th place finish, said: “It is not the manager’s fault. I have seen them train and I know what goes on. But it does not translate onto the pitch and it is not good enough and he knows that.

“It is horrible to watch. There is no entertainment and no value."

As it's £23 to get in for a Category A match at Boundary Park, it's no surprise nobody turns up. 220,000 people live in the borough of Oldham.

Mucca Mad Boys

It doesn't say anything on the SSN website.

Hopefully this is someone joking around...

torchomatic

I think I will add PD to my list of "Mangers I would not want". Top of that is Gary Megson.

junglej13

He's not in the top set of managers odds on sky bet...

If you go on oddschecker his odds have come right in with a couple of bookies so I suspect this isn't someone messing about. Mind you sky sports said magilton was in the running on monday and I suspect his name was plucked out of the air.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm dismissing this rumour and declaring thread a wind up thread!

Tomorrow: Dickov appointed Cov manager! (Sigh)

I think Dickov + Taggart were there scouting us, because if we do appoint Dickov, we aren't appointing a new assistent n all!

theprince

Would go against the statement from the club that whoever comes in works with the current backroom staff so where would Taggart fit in. I will make a prediction they could be Leicester bound, their manager must surely be on the brink there.

If it is not Shaw and/or Carsley i think it will be someone connected to them ex-team mate whatever not sure if Wise had Shaw at Millwall don't think he did.BUT Shaw did play alongside Gareth Southgate.!!

dojer

I've always thought he'd done a decent job on a low budget (which might be why SISU are attracted to him). If it's true then it's strange that the board will be willing to spend money on an average manager when there are equal or better managers available for free, which is what they did when they appointed Boothroyd. I think the main reason he would be appointed would be that he might be more willing to work with the current players on a low budget than any of the other applicants who would presumably want to spend a bit to get their own players in.

Otis

A manager who has taken his side to a 17th and 16th place finish and would work with our current players on a low budget?

Hardly inspiring is it.

Unless we aspire to just survive in League One in mid-table mediocrity.

Users who are viewing this thread