Pardon me boy....is that the councils empty choo choo (1 Viewer)

Wheelfass

It's almost beyond belief that the Council can spend so much money on the long awaited Ricoh Station and then not have sufficient trains to make use of it.
Or maybe it's just par for the course.

Hobo

It's almost beyond belief that the Council can spend so much money on the long awaited Ricoh Station and then not have sufficient trains to make use of it.

I don't think the council have any trains do they? I think it is the remit of London Midland to provide the service and the rolling stock? Unfortunately all they have provided is laughing stock. It shows a weakness in the Conservative argument that privatisation always leads to providing better customer service.

Warwickhunt

I don't think the council have any trains do they? I think it is the remit of London Midland to provide the service and the rolling stock? Unfortunately all they have provided is laughing stock. It shows a weakness in the Conservative argument that privatisation always leads to providing better customer service.
Or even listen to what London Midland told them that their will be no more rolling stock available until 2017 and only if electrification of the line is done! and not tell the Buyers of the RICOH bullshit to make the sales more inviting. Apparently the owners are well pissed about it all as they were relient on the train service to bring all their london based supporters to the matches and other customers for their conferencing facilities thus alleviating the need to put on expensive coaches for them. My hear bleeds that they have been shafted by our Council!

SkyBlueSid

The rail service is a joke in the UK. It also makes a mockery of what was required when the Ricoh was built when they were banging on about how many people should be arriving and leaving by public transport as some sort of 'Green Plan'.

I went to a game in Germany at the weekend where everyone seemed to use public transport. Just as well, given the amount of beer they consume at games! There were 56000 people there and after the game the punters were quickly transported away on many waiting trains. The stadium station had 10 platforms for this. Five times the attendance at the Ricoh and they didn't even have to delay the kick off!

Otis

Or even listen to what London Midland told them that their will be no more rolling stock available until 2017 and only if electrification of the line is done! and not tell the Buyers of the RICOH bullshit to make the sales more inviting. Apparently the owners are well pissed about it all as they were relient on the train service to bring all their london based supporters to the matches and other customers for their conferencing facilities thus alleviating the need to put on expensive coaches for them. My hear bleeds that they have been shafted by our Council!

If that's the case, I say hooray that the trains aren't picking up fans.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Apparently the owners are well pissed about it all as they were relient on the train service to bring all their london based supporters to the matches and other customers for their conferencing facilities thus alleviating the need to put on expensive coaches for them.

This is the only positive......Its detrimental to franchise wasps RFC making money......

....and the only tiny hope we have left of the club & ground ever being re-united in any form or structure is for the London franchise to fail.....hopefully losing all their bond investors their cash in the process too :)

chiefdave

Apparently the owners are well pissed about it all as they were relient on the train service to bring all their london based supporters to the matches and other customers for their conferencing facilities thus alleviating the need to put on expensive coaches for them.

The Wasps chap who was on Midlands Today certainly didn't come across as someone who had known all along that there wouldn't be a decent service. While its annoying for us, and makes the city look ridiculous, most of our fans are local and used to getting there using other means. If, as seems likely, Wasps were hoping a good chunk of their fanbase was going to get a train up from London they won't be happy at all.

chiefdave

I went to a game in Germany at the weekend where everyone seemed to use public transport. Just as well, given the amount of beer they consume at games! There were 56000 people there and after the game the punters were quickly transported away on many waiting trains. The stadium station had 10 platforms for this. Five times the attendance at the Ricoh and they didn't even have to delay the kick off!

Same at Ajax, no problem getting the majority of the crowd onto public transport.

Went to Metlife Stadium in New Jersey as well. Its well out in the sticks and holds over 80K yet no problem getting people to and from the stadium via train.

We are so far behind in this country.

Covstu

Same at Ajax, no problem getting the majority of the crowd onto public transport.

Went to Metlife Stadium in New Jersey as well. Its well out in the sticks and holds over 80K yet no problem getting people to and from the stadium via train.

We are so far behind in this country.

Yep Ajax have great links with the tram & Bus service but this had been planned as a city for years unlike our own fine city. This was supposed to be a quick win for the ground but failed miserably

Bob Latchford

This topic has just been on Talk Sport Radio , even they're laughing at the situation .

Bob Latchford

That must be the only thing moving in your bodies then. you pair must be ancient if you know of that song , at least 60 or somefin.

skyblueinBaku

That must be the only thing moving in your bodies then. you pair must be ancient if you know of that song , at least 60 or somefin.

That's enough of the backchat, you cheeky young whippersnapper!

H

Huckerby

I don't think that's the Conservative argument at all.

I think the argument is that it almost always improves efficiency.

Bob Latchford

That's enough of the backchat, you cheeky young whippersnapper!

Here you go Pops [video=youtube;QzHIn5S-RbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHIn5S-RbY[/video]

Bob Latchford

Thanks, Bob. I enjoyed watching that. :claping hands:

It's called a 'Video' you won't need one of these -
images

fernandopartridge

I am not advocate of privatisation but it isn't privatisation per se that's the problem. It's the way it is organised (or not).

Ashdown

Look at the fabulous new tram system that runs across Nottingham. That City is both poorer and smaller than Coventry but it's transport links are now superb. Coventry has been hamstrung by successive councils since WW2 and now the current regime wants to sell us down the river in this hideous amalgamation with Birmingham and the Black country. This will succeed in pouring all the money into the central hub of Brum, encouraging everyone to use their shops, sports clubs and facilities, concert halls, restaurants etc etc. We are becoming a university suburb and nothing more.

H

Huckerby

Look at the fabulous new tram system that runs across Nottingham. That City is both poorer and smaller than Coventry but it's transport links are now superb. Coventry has been hamstrung by successive councils since WW2 and now the current regime wants to sell us down the river in this hideous amalgamation with Birmingham and the Black country. This will succeed in pouring all the money into the central hub of Brum, encouraging everyone to use their shops, sports clubs and facilities, concert halls, restaurants etc etc. We are becoming a university suburb and nothing more.

it's a great system, it really is. It's just been extended too and NET Phase 2 has just opened.

It's about the same size city, is it really poorer though? I'd have thought with the two uni's and more affluent areas it'd be richer

will am i

it's a great system, it really is. It's just been extended too and NET Phase 2 has just opened.

It's about the same size city, is it really poorer though? I'd have thought with the two uni's and more affluent areas it'd be richer

We have two bettter universities and

Nottingham ranked dead last in terms of disposable income per person according to the ONS – at £11,411 per person. Leicester, Blackburn and Darwen and Hull were then next three poorest places in the UK

H

Huckerby

We have two bettter universities and

Nottingham ranked dead last in terms of disposable income per person according to the ONS – at £11,411 per person. Leicester, Blackburn and Darwen and Hull were then next three poorest places in the UK

Oh right. That's interesting. Is disposable income what you'd use to measure the wealth of an area though? Especially in terms of publicly funded projects?

Ah, is warwick uni technically in Coventry then? I know a lot of students live outside of Coventry.

Is Cov uni better than Trent? Haven't seen the rankings in a while. Not sure that's really relevant anyway, i guess the question is which have higher attendances, I'd have thought the Nottingham ones did. Happy to be proven wrong though, i dont have the data to hand

fernandopartridge

The South of Coventry is one of the most affluent areas in the midlands but overall it's a middle of the road place. Not particularly rich and not particularly poor. There is a perception that it is poor which is something the council continue to magnify.

I read elsewhere that the council in the 60s declined to name Warwick University after Coventry due to their belief that it was elitist. This might be nonsense.

There was another recent story where some councillor came out and talked Coventry down as being "not that kind of place" sand "working class city" in response to some plan or other.

Ashdown

The South of Coventry is one of the most affluent areas in the midlands but overall it's a middle of the road place. Not particularly rich and not particularly poor. There is a perception that it is poor which is something the council continue to magnify.

I read elsewhere that the council in the 60s declined to name Warwick University after Coventry due to their belief that it was elitist. This might be nonsense.

There was another recent story where some councillor came out and talked Coventry down as being "not that kind of place" sand "working class city" in response to some plan or other.

Problem is, I don't believe that many of those in the Southern suburbs spend their disposable income in CV1 or the rest of the City, they tend to be entertained, shop, eat and relax in Sth Warks or B'ham.

rondog1973

I am not advocate of privatisation but it isn't privatisation per se that's the problem. It's the way it is organised (or not).
Worked at two companies, one previously nationalized, who's Number 1 priority (unofficially) was shareholder profit.

Both were an organisational shambles and dreadful service providers in their respective fields.

D

Deleted member 2477

Get use to it. This goverment has plans over the next five years to privatise the nhs, police, prisons and fire brigade to put money into the likes of g4s who alot of the current cabinet have shares in. They will feed you more bullshit about improved service blah blah but theres only one winner and thats the shareholders who put profit before public service. The rail companies and gas and electric companies are a prime example

trondegilsoltvedt97

Get use to it. This goverment has plans over the next five years to privatise the nhs, police, prisons and fire brigade to put money into the likes of g4s who alot of the current cabinet have shares in. They will feed you more bullshit about improved service blah blah but theres only one winner and thats the shareholders who put profit before public service. The rail companies and gas and electric companies are a prime example

Evening Mr Corbyn

Users who are viewing this thread