Over The Hill XI-Take No Arjan's! (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

I'll nominate James Scowcroft for the RM slot given the lack of options there. Former England U21 player and had played as a striker for Ipswich and Leicester in the PL and then Mad Mickeh signed him as a 30 year old and decided to play him at Right Mid for much of the season. We did manage to flog him for 500k though which is up there with our fleecing of QPR for Gary Borrowdale.

Julian Joachim should get a mention somewhere too.

C

Charlie

Martin Lorentzson for left back? Also what about Darren Currie?

Nonleagueherewecome

Lightbourne (he was ok with Walsall at least)
Same with Clayton Ince for Crewe
Isaias maybe
Darren Jackson
Jemson
Eoin Jess
Did ponder Isaias as he had been Benfica's star man when they were good, but he showed flashes for us & I think we can blame Big Ron for not using him properly!

Jackson is a very good shout, what was that all about...the man Craig Brown chose above Ally McCoist for World Cup 98 too, oops...

Jemson, Christ on a bike, forgot all about him playing for us. Probably for the best.

Jess I think showed the growing gap between the SPL and EPL. In bygone days, with that reputation & fee we'd have been getting a Dalglish...still, goal against Wimbledon, worth every penny eh?!

Nonleagueherewecome

Hughes played well at Blackburn in the cup that day we won 4-1
That will be the one, then. Never has a player shown such class above his regular contribution in just one game.

Mcbean

I’m chucking Yakubu in there. You don’t score nearly 100 Prem goals if you’re rubbish. He was literally half dead by the time we signed him.
He was almost half dead by the time he had run up the pitch once let alone track back

Nonleagueherewecome

I'll nominate James Scowcroft for the RM slot given the lack of options there. Former England U21 player and had played as a striker for Ipswich and Leicester in the PL and then Mad Mickeh signed him as a 30 year old and decided to play him at Right Mid for much of the season. We did manage to flog him for 500k though which is up there with our fleecing of QPR for Gary Borrowdale.

Good call for a weak position. Remind me, was it Adams that blamed "The board made me sell Jamie Scowcroft" for getting him the sack? Like he was ever the man we built the team around, eh?

Joachim would be good for right wing if he had been a FR like he always was in Champ Manager back then!

Nonleagueherewecome

Michael Crapindoe was far, far better against us than playing for us. In terms of faded ability De Zeeuw and Hendry definitely stick out though, and Holdsworth.
I can guess who your vote for at LB is!

fernandopartridge

Did ponder Isaias as he had been Benfica's star man when they were good, but he showed flashes for us & I think we can blame Big Ron for not using him properly!

Jackson is a very good shout, what was that all about...the man Craig Brown chose above Ally McCoist for World Cup 98 too, oops...

Jemson, Christ on a bike, forgot all about him playing for us. Probably for the best.

Jess I think showed the growing gap between the SPL and EPL. In bygone days, with that reputation & fee we'd have been getting a Dalglish...still, goal against Wimbledon, worth every penny eh?!
Remember seeing a board for the Telegraph when we signed Jackson it read

"City sign World Cup star" - it was something of a letdown

fernandopartridge

Good call for a weak position. Remind me, was it Adams that blamed "The board made me sell Jamie Scowcroft" for getting him the sack? Like he was ever the man we built the team around, eh?

Joachim would be good for right wing if he had been a FR like he always was in Champ Manager back then!
Well he sort of was as he was the target man for every goal kick or long ball from the back

Legia Sky Blue

Roger Van Gool would be a good for for the right wing slot. Tore Forest apart in the European Cup at the City Ground, but then did nothing for us.

It’sabatch87

Who was in charge when we signed Yakubu?
Must have been bribed surely? The bloke couldn’t run.
Just looked it was Russell Slade say no more.

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone else remember Steve Walsh's 1 (I think) game for us? A 5-2 shafting away at Watford.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Up there with the worst 1-game City career ever? Although Nuzzo might be a challenger for that Tranmere debacle...

Talking of Leicester & talking of GK's, how about Pegguy Arphexhad? Only 5 games for us (indeed only 39 league games in his entire career, amazingly), but he did win a UEFA Cup winners medal a few years before signing for us along with craploads of other silverware over the years (whilst getting splinters in his arse).

TomRad85

Up there with the worst 1-game City career ever? Although Nuzzo might be a challenger for that Tranmere debacle...

Talking of Leicester & talking of GK's, how about Pegguy Arphexhad? Only 5 games for us (indeed only 39 league games in his entire career, amazingly), but he did win a UEFA Cup winners medal a few years before signing for us along with craploads of other silverware over the years (whilst getting splinters in his arse).
100% has to be between Walsh and Nuzzo. Alan Miller had less than one game, coming on when Kirkland was sent off and conceding 6 at Chelsea, although tbf to the poor bloke I don't recall any being his fault.

Good shout with Arphexad, completely forgot we had him at all. Anyone mentioned Engonga yet? Edit. Yes they have, I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered to scroll through.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

wantageskyblue

Unfortunately I was at both of those games, Tranmere being an absolute shocker.

oscillatewildly

Who was in charge when we signed Yakubu?
Must have been bribed surely? The bloke couldn’t run.
Just looked it was Russell Slade say no more.
I was at that midweek game away at W'don when he came on as a sub. He entered the field of play in the slowest fashion any sub probably has in the entire history of the game. I thought he was conserving himself and what a great tactic to lull the opposition into a ... etc.
But no, that turned out to be the highlight of his brief stay with us.

Legia Sky Blue

I can't remember exactly - but I bet when we first signed Yakubu there would have been a few on here convinced that he would fire us to safety :)

Mcbean

I can't remember exactly - but I bet when we first signed Yakubu there would have been a few on here convinced that he would fire us to safety :)
I think no one had seen his obsession with McDonalds and tested his activity over 10 yards - signed up by Stevie Wonder

Users who are viewing this thread