our true league position (1 Viewer)

Evans1883

going by averages and this table is based on all the teams around us getting 2 points per game which is about average for top 6 teams ,this table is adding all the games in hand they have at 2 pts per game

1.tranmere 60 points
2.donny 60
3.swindon 59
4.brentford 59
5.bournmouth 53
6.sheff utd 53
7.yeovil 51
8.mkdons 51
9.notts county 49
10.crawley 49
11.coventry city 47

i know this will not be 100% correct but it will probably be a roughish guide.
we dropped 23 points before robins joined,that may be what haunts us come the end

Perryccfc

Don't buy that I'm afraid. Whilst I see your logic, a lot of the teams are playing each other in the games in hand, thus meaning they won't both take 2 points from that game. I think inspite of the games in hand, its only really Yeovil MK Dons and possibly county that's really any danger to us. I can't see any of them winning all there games in hand. I think we're fairly comfortable at the minute

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Still, anyone remember at the start of the season on the football league show when they were saying we should just hope for 20th this season ?

Covstu

going by averages and this table is based on all the teams around us getting 2 points per game which is about average for top 6 teams ,this table is adding all the games in hand they have at 2 pts per game

1.tranmere 60 points
2.donny 60
3.swindon 59
4.brentford 59
5.bournmouth 53
6.sheff utd 53
7.yeovil 51
8.mkdons 51
9.notts county 49
10.crawley 49
11.coventry city 47

we dropped 23 points before robins joined,that may be what haunts us come the end

agree that this isn't the true league position, sadly with the amount of games we have played we are a little more than one point off but all we can do is keep winning. If this is not good enough then we did not deserve to get promoted this year due to our poor start. We just piss the league next year!! ;);)

theferret

The idea that ALL the teams around us will average 2 points from their games in hand is silly.

This is all irrelevant anyway. We need to get 73-76 points come the end of the season. Minimum 26 points from 45. Difficult, but achievable.

Evans1883

i think this is kind of a worst case scenario,we will still probably be 4-6 points off playoffs after games in hand are played,thats not unrealistic

J

Jack Griffin

Some of those teams will lose form & fail to average the 2 points per game.. always happens, like there will be someone newar the middle who drops like a stone.

At the end of the day you are where you are, as far as I'm concerned City have just to keep geting results & forget about the rest of the pack.

skybluelee

1.tranmere 60 points
2.donny 60
3.swindon 59
4.brentford 59
5.bournmouth 53
6.sheff utd 53
7.yeovil 51
8.mkdons 51
9.notts county 49
10.crawley 49
11.coventry city 47

Not 100% correct? You're not kidding. Only Doncaster average 2 pts per game in the entire league.

Evans1883

ok then but you can atleast agree that we will be at least 4-6 points off the play offs after all teams have played games in hand ,surely people can see that

Speng

Yes but nothing is better than a team with huge confidence , who do you think the other 23 teams are worried a about playing more than anyone else ? We will make the play offs ,

Otis

As has been said. Many of those teams play each other.

Don't think you can look at average points per game. You can look however at history and that tells us if we win 9 games we will have 74 points and 74 points will probably be enough for a top 6 place.

9 wins out of 15 is doable for sure.

Steve.B50

Agree with you Speng.
Our confidence will get us into play offs.
I was reading the Sheffield forums yesterday, they were saying hours before KO we are flying and that they would loose.
My belief is I will see City play in there first ever play off this season, that alone is a success.

For now, lets just enjoy Tuesday and dream of what is possible, imagine the confidence if we do make it to Wembley?

donald_trumps

What should also be considered is that we will have more space between games than other teams, so we will be fresher going into games, as they will all be playing catchup. This is a huge benefit when going into the final stages of the season. This means more recovery time and more preparation and planning time for each game.

Otis

Agree.

Some teams could have 3 games in a week. Going to take its toll.

We should be fresher having a clearer schedule.

skybluelee

ok then but you can atleast agree that we will be at least 4-6 points off the play offs after all teams have played games in hand ,surely people can see that

Yep courtesy of the start we had. Carry on our form under Robins though and we make top six. No question.

What we can't afford, thanks to the start, is a dropping off of results.

Diehard Si

I was looking at the table yesterday and guessed we are about 10th, so that seems reasonable. I know we are on a high, but our position is massively over inflated at the moment. Some people seem to have trouble accepting it for whatever reason but it true. We are not there yet!

Fortunately the season is not over yet tho. There is 15 games to go to make up those 6 points. It's going to be tough but we approach it all on a good bit of form and a resilience under Robins I've never seen from CCFC before.

big nellie

Lets get to the start of March first, by then we will have a better picture as the other teams will have played as many games as us. Hopefully we will be buzzing with the knowledge that we have a Wembley final to play as well PUSB

dongonzalos

1.tranmere 60 points
2.donny 60
3.swindon 59
4.brentford 59
5.bournmouth 53
6.sheff utd 53
7.yeovil 51
8.mkdons 51
9.notts county 49
10.crawley 49
11.coventry city 47

Over the last 10 games.

Tranmere, Sheff Weds, Notts County, MK Dons, Crawley, Yeovil are not averaging 2 points per game.

We are over 12 games

Brentford, Bournmouth, Donny and Swindon are over 10

Godiva

Colesy55

1.tranmere 60 points
2.donny 60
3.swindon 59
4.brentford 59
5.bournmouth 53
6.sheff utd 53
7.yeovil 51
8.mkdons 51
9.notts county 49
10.crawley 49
11.coventry city 47

i agree you cant give all these teams 2 points a game as an average !! plus how many mistakes have you made in adding up the points ??

stupot07

We are definitely in a false position,, which is more likely 9th or 10th once everyone has played their games in hand. However all we can do is comcentrate on our form and keep picking up points. If we can get to 74-75 points that should be enough.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'd like to finish at least 5th. That would break a 43 year old hoodoo of not finishing higher than 6th in ANY league! What a result that would be at last! :claping hands:

Waldorf

Don't give a s**t about averages and 2 points a game etc etc. Our true position is seventh and one point behind sixth. That's what the current table says.

Ball Boy

This is going to finish up as a nailbiter like the relegation fights in the 90s. By what stage will the other teams have caught up with us in terms of games played?

sky_blue_up_north

Build up of fixtures will be the undoing of quite a few sides, just need to keep our form and we have a great chance. Rather have the points in the bag than games in hand any day.

harvey098

Build up of fixtures will be the undoing of quite a few sides, just need to keep our form and we have a great chance. Rather have the points in the bag than games in hand any day.

Makes me laugh when people say that. The teams in the top 6 have the points AND the games.

I think there is time to catch them up though, every year there is one team that goes on a crazy run and our momentum should just keep snowballing.

stupot07

Quite a few posts suggesting the build up of 2-3 fixtures for the games in hand will undo a few in the run up, most teams are out of all the cups, and we have at least 2 extra games to play (possibly 3 if we get to the final) between now and the end of the season so in affect have a similar amount of games which could undo us.

shmmeee

This site is great for the stat freaks: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2012-2013/true-table/full
The linked page - called True Table - agrees with the OP. Putting us in 11th place.
(Mind you - that is one step up from last week).

Be carefull when visiting the site, you might end up spending hours looking at tables, graphs and what have you.

Love that site.

I did a custom table since Robins took over which puts us 5th and one based on us getting our average PPG since robins and others getting their season PPG and I think it put us third.

You can slice the data so many ways, but anything can happen good or bad.

CJparker

The idea that ALL the teams around us will average 2 points from their games in hand is silly.

This is all irrelevant anyway. We need to get 73-76 points come the end of the season. Minimum 26 points from 45. Difficult, but achievable.

As Fergie always says, better to have the points on the board than the games in hand - we have made a statement and it is up to the others to catch up. I'm happier in our shoes than theirs. We are in good form and our position will strengthen further if we can keep it up.

skybluelee

The bookies make us 8th favs to win the league so you could argue that that is our true position at present.

CCFC_GT

The statto.com "true table" putting us at 11th is purely based on average points per game over the season so far, and doesn't take account of our current flying form.

AS dongonzalos pointed out earlier in this thread we are the only club averaging 2 points per game over the last 12 games, and only four teams have managed 2 point per game over the last 10 (Brentford, Bournmouth, Doncaster and Swindon)

I accept that the tiring effect of games in hand that the other teams have still to play is somewhat cancelled out by the additional cup games we may have to play, but I believe winning those cup games would give us additional energy and self belief.

I don't believe that teams around us still having to play each other gives us any significant advantage since we are in the same boat, it just means there is more importance on winning or not losing these games for all teams concerned, and for us in particular that we win these to close the gap. For this reason last night was another massive result for us.

Like any other team our form could dip, so all we can do is keep plugging away, however if we manage to maintain this form I believe we will have a good chance of making the play offs. The momentum is with us.

Users who are viewing this thread