Our form a consequence of playing at Northampton? (2 Viewers)

Otis

Last season

Home at the Ricoh
W7 D7 L9 28 points g29 Ga27

Away
W11 D4 L8 37 points g37 ga32

Opposition teams did seen to like to play at the Ricoh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Or maybe we just weren't very good.

skybluelee

Nothing to do with not having two fit strikers?

We got battered by Rotherham and Tranmere with Wilson in the side (and Clarke as well v Tranmere).

We have our best manager in years, and talented bunch of players yet our home form is crap. Playing at Shitfields is hampering not benefiting us. And that will become more apparent imo due to the state of the pitch and the inevitable backlog of fixtures for us and Northmpton.

Astute

We got battered by Rotherham and Tranmere with Wilson in the side (and Clarke as well v Tranmere).

We have our best manager in years, and talented bunch of players yet our home form is crap. Playing at Shitfields is hampering not benefiting us. And that will become more apparent imo due to the state of the pitch and the inevitable backlog of fixtures for us and Northmpton.

I am shit at playing devil's advocate :D

covcity4life

paxman is not saying hes happy with being in northampton, just posing a questiona bout home form

its ahrd to say as we have not seen a true SP team at ricoh yet, who knows if mentality would be as strong at ricoh as it is now

i would imagine there is less pressure and less jeering/sighs. probably helps a bit

in the long run i expect SP to build a team that can play in champions league final though so being strong mentally wnt be a issue at ricoh when/if we come back!

Sky Blue Kid

Paxman II....QUOTE[[...If you disregard any thoughts that playing away from the Ricoh may have actually had a positive effect on team performances then please tell me what happened when we did play there? We went from bad to worse in the Championship and then got relegated! QUOTE]]..................................................................................Surely you don't believe what you've just written ffs? We were relegated because we had s**t managers, and S**T owners who wouldn't back the team properly...THAT is why we were relegated!

italiahorse

It's poor team management that got us here coupled with selling key players at the wrong times.
Fans will always get on the back of a poorly performing team regardless who it is.
We have been going in a downward spiral for years so there is nothing for the fans to cheer about.
Don't make excuses, the Ricoh is perfect for our team tactics and our aspirations and this season with this team and manager we would be exactly the same.
In fact if SISU had negotiated first and ACL had been more receptive to the clubs finances we would be 10 points better off.

shmmeee

And several people have explained why is specious reasoning to think Sixfields helps.

Also there's as much jeering and sighs there from what I've heard on the radio as there was at the Ricoh. The difference is there's never a time when the crowd lifts the team.

L

limoncello

He should have worded it 'do you think Shitfields being such a rubbish, ramshackle stadium and the 'fans' that attend a bunch of weak-willed malleable cowards, that opposing teams can't be arsed to up their game like they often did at the awe-inspiring and magnificently packed Ricoh Arena, and has this helped to improve our home form?'

Grendel

All it really proves is from a playing side it has no real impact either way.

SkyBlueScottie

I do agree with the opening post, I firmly believe it has helped in a small way, and its often these little differences which when combined offer a decent increase or return.

Its not to say that this run of form is all down to the move, not a by a long shot, there is a change in style, a change in the attitude of players, add to the fact that opposing players are not "inspired" by playing at the Ricoh...

Another flipside to that is it removes the excuse from our players they can no longer fall back on the opposing players are up for playing at the Ricoh.

ccfcway

what was Robins record at the Ricoh ?

Our "form" in general has seen an upturn since we had Robins and now Pressley. I believe that the Ricoh would have been a real fortress this year if we would have been there. Sadly we will never know.

SISU arrived.

Try looking at it in a different way. Our away record is quite good this season as our away support is mainly very good. This gives the players a boost. At our 'home' games the players don't get the boost they should do because by the sound of it (or should I say lack of sound of it) our supporters are said to be quiet. If we were playing at the Ricoh our players would be getting us supporters behind them. It seems that the most vocal of us don't go to Northampton.

I have been to away games where there are only about 300 of us. Yet we have outsung the home fans. In some small grounds it can sound like there is a thousand or more of us all singing together. Sometimes you can see your players get the boost from us and start to play better.

IMHO I think we would have a better home record this season. Attacking play like we now do always gets us fans going......although not at Northampton it would seem :( I don't understand it myself. I feel as though there is something wrong if I don't have a sore throat the day after a game.

Just minor observations to highlight. Its not a home game, and they are attendees, not supporters.:slap::jerkit:

skybluetom

I think it's allowed Pressley to build a toughness and togetherness rather than it being *about* Sixfields itself, the fergie style 'look the whole world is against us' type of mantra.

Players were often turned upon at the Ricoh which is never helpful but I think our poor form previous to leaving there is a lot more simplistic to explain: since we started playing there by and large our team/manager hasn't been good enough.

skybluefred

If you disregard any thoughts that playing away from the Ricoh may have actually had a positive effect on team performances then please tell me what happened when we did play there? We went from bad to worse in the Championship and then got relegated! :)

Only because sisu sold our best players and did not replace them.

SkyBlueScottie

Fuck sake, there is a debate about our form and you still get people saying Sisu did this and that. We all know what they have done there is no point in raising it in every single thread. Going back to the thread somebody mentioned our home form under Robins,I have not got the stats to hand but if I recall there were a few grumbles about it. The away form was where the improvement happened. It sounds silly but the upturn in form has been down to having a few goalscorers around the place also.

Users who are viewing this thread