Our form a consequence of playing at Northampton? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Could this have some weight? Lets be honest at the Ricoh, would we have been facing opposition looking around pre kick off and saying "wow super nice pitch and stadium, I can't wait to play on this" and be raising their game against one of the big boys of league 1? Would our often fickle and moaning fans have got on the players backs early and affected the teams form?

Is playing at a ground like sixfields creating a level playing field and putting the team under less pressure?
Would we have been half as successful this season if we had played at the Ricoh?

If we end up in the playoffs and get promoted, would you say it had been a blessing in disguise? Or would we have performed as well or better had we been at the Ricoh?
There seems a change in the teams demeanour and there are no 'we are the big I am' status among the players, helping them to get to their heads down and concentrate on games more, instead of turning up at a stadium that had them feeling they were still kings in a poor league, thus getting back to what matters - winning games.

Has the sixfield experience helped the manager and team?

will am i

This implies that all our supporters are fully supportive at all times at Sixfields which isnt quite true. Perhaps we should play games at Ryton and have no fans and we would be much better. Im sure that isnt what you mean but if you follow your logic... The point of a professional football team is surely to get as many people as possible watching them

Kingokings204

Absolutely no way, teams don't give anyone points in any shape or form. If you win a football match its because you played better and scored more goals not because its a better or worse stadium.

We were 2-0 up with 6 mins to go against crawley and drew, they just didn't cave in because it was sixfields.

The stadium is irrelevant to confirm.

Hobo

That explains why we have W7 D3 L4 at home
And W6 D4 L4 away.....

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Sixfields as home and away form is almost identical.

Paxman II

That explains why we have W7 D3 L4 at home
And W6 D4 L4 away.....

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Sixfields as home and away form is almost identical.

Yes but the logic is that at sixfields and at away grounds we are in front of fewer supporters and at lesser grounds than can be said for the Ricoh and we are doing quite well? I think the Ricoh creates a feeling of superiority in this league and teams are under more pressure to perform perhaps?

letsallsingtogether

If this is true why are Wolves at the top of the table after all they have a premiership ground.

Could this have some weight? Lets be honest at the Ricoh, would we have been facing opposition looking around pre kick off and saying "wow super nice pitch and stadium, I can't wait to play on this" and be raising their game against one of the big boys of league 1? Would our often fickle and moaning fans have got on the players backs early and affected the teams form?

Is playing at a ground like sixfields creating a level playing field and putting the team under less pressure?
Would we have been half as successful this season if we had played at the Ricoh?

If we end up in the playoffs and get promoted, would you say it had been a blessing in disguise? Or would we have performed as well or better had we been at the Ricoh?
There seems a change in the teams demeanour and there are no 'we are the big I am' status among the players, helping them to get to their heads down and concentrate on games more, instead of turning up at a stadium that had them feeling they were still kings in a poor league, thus getting back to what matters - winning games.

stupot07

Last season

Home at the Ricoh
W7 D7 L9 28 points g29 Ga27

Away
W11 D4 L8 37 points g37 ga32

Opposition teams did seen to like to play at the Ricoh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

J

Jack Griffin

By that argument then why don't you agitate to move the team into a smaller shit hole next season & the league will be as good as signed sealed and delivered.

shmmeee

If this was at all true, surely our record away would always be better than home pre-Sixfields?

You're forgetting to control for the quality of the team we play. The big gates we get at home tend to be better teams, even some would argue Crewe last season. Not to mention you remember the losses more because of the big occasion.

Also, the Ricoh was as full as Sixfields is in terms of capacity, if not less full in some cases (30% capacity at Ricoh = 10k, 30% of Sixfields = 2296) so they are in many ways equally sparse.

I'm going to put it down to the manager's ability and the improved attitude of the squad rather than something as negligible as their surroundings during the game.

Monners

Last season

Home at the Ricoh
W7 D7 L9 28 points g29 Ga27

Away
W11 D4 L8 37 points g37 ga32

Opposition teams did seen to like to play at the Ricoh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Delighted we moved to Northampton then. We should carry on not turning up so that we can enjoy the team doing well from afar! - or could it be down to footballing reasons and Pressley management and style of play.

blueflint

ask the players as they have said take us back to ricoh they can't unfortunately say it too loud

Tonylinc

Think you have a very valid point there. I have felt for some time that our away form is influenced by the fact that ALL our games are in reality away!

asb

So there should not be a new stadium built as other teams will play better against us.

It can be funny the reasons people come up with to try and justify moving the club to Sixfields.

I do think it is more like what the players have said according to the independent stadium forum. It is the seat colours that cause their losses.

or maybe it is the pie money

or maybe it is the Council voting against a win

or maybe Ann Lucas has been doing the opposition team talks giving away all the team secrets.

Seeking patterns and correlations that are just not there will not make them true.

L

limoncello

My word, what's got everyone in a tizzy? All he seems to be doing is asking if opposing teams upped their games when they played at the Ricoh, no? Stupot's stats seem to support this assertion so why's everybody going on about Sixfields? Agree or disagree with him, there's no need to put up straw men.

Paxman II

This is not an argument for or against. We ALL want to be back at the Ricoh.

It's just a point worth thinking about. I personally feel the pressure has been less at sixfields and the same mentality has been taken away from home as a whole, due to a variety of circumstances the club are in. Got to have some influence for me.

As for Pressley, he too has helped in that regard. He is not the big I am and has come down from little old Falkirk with an objective and I'd say no pressure due to the circumstances he is surrounded with. Back at the Ricoh surroundings I think the demeanour of the squad would have been different, that's all.

asb

This is not an argument for or against. We ALL want to be back at the Ricoh.

It's just a point worth thinking about. I personally feel the pressure has been less at sixfields and the same mentality has been taken away from home as a whole, due to a variety of circumstances the club are in. Got to have some influence for me.

As for Pressley, he too has helped in that regard. He is not the big I am and has come down from little old Falkirk with an objective and I'd say no pressure due to the circumstances he is surrounded with. Back at the Ricoh surroundings I think the demeanour of the squad would have been different, that's all.

I do think Pressley has a bigger influence on the players then the supposed big game mentality other teams might have got at the Ricoh. He tends to be very positive, and keeps the players minds on the field. That could have happened at the Ricoh, but guess while we have people happy to be a Sixfields because they think it helps the form, we will never truly know.

bigfatronssba

And yet the season the Ricoh was at its most impressive, with over 20k "fickle" fans in attendance for most games the record was this:

W12
D7
L4

bigfatronssba

Also on the subject of fickle fans, how can a club with fans as fickle as this be 2nd in the table?

Attachments

• n506518235153389235vy1.jpg
    n506518235153389235vy1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 23

hill83

It works both way to suit what people want.
If we were doing shit at the shed, the shed would be used as the reason.
We are a good team this season, I think we would be even closer to the playoffs or even in them right now with everyone behind us at the Ricoh.
We've been doing ok this season at 'home' but surely it can only be a hindrance in the long run?

Paxman II

I do think Pressley has a bigger influence on the players then the supposed big game mentality other teams might have got at the Ricoh. He tends to be very positive, and keeps the players minds on the field. That could have happened at the Ricoh, but guess while we have people happy to be a Sixfields because they think it helps the form, we will never truly know.

I'm not happy being at sixfields one bit. I do think many fans and club alike have found it difficult to let go of past 'highs' and the big club demeanour. It's long since been over and perhaps sixfields has brought us down to realisation at the level we are competing in. Once that is realised we might get out of it. I just think playing at the Ricoh kept us in the 'big club' world of expectation and created or perhaps hampered endeavours on the pitch.

bigfatronssba

It works both way to suit what people want.
If we were doing shit at the shed, the shed would be used as the reason.
We are a good team this season, I think we would be even closer to the playoffs or even in them right now with everyone behind us at the Ricoh.
We've been doing ok this season at 'home' but surely it can only be a hindrance in the long run?

Exactly, you could quite as easily start another thread about how if we were at the Ricoh this season we would now be top of the league.

At is most simple, we are doing better this year because SP is a better manager.

asb

I'm not happy being at sixfields one bit. I do think many fans and club alike have found it difficult to let go of past 'highs' and the big club demeanour. It's long since been over and perhaps sixfields has brought us down to realisation at the level we are competing in. Once that is realised we might get out of it. I just think playing at the Ricoh kept us in the 'big club' world of expectation and created or perhaps hampered endeavours on the pitch.

I agree that for a while we have forgotten of where we actually are. Just look at clubs like PNE that still think they are super clubs. They have never let go of their past and can't understand things have moved on and why they can be beaten by 'lesser' teams. You can let go without forgetting.

I however can't see a correlation between the Ricoh and current form.

How much has changed at the club since the end of last season? Lots right. So how can we attribute change to only one thing when so much is different. We can't.

If all the players that had played at the Ricoh and Sixfields came out and said they hated the Ricoh and struggled to play there I would alter my opinion. That thankfully will not happened as Pressley will keep the players out of the off field crap.

shmmeee

We are a big club. "Big" is a comparative statement, and we are bigger than the vast majority, including most in this division. And we're certainly bigger than fucking Sixfields.

asb

We are a big club. "Big" is a comparative statement, and we are bigger than the vast majority, including most in this division. And we're certainly bigger than fucking Sixfields.

Sadly in sport we like to look at stats. It might be that a team from 1910 beat another team, but to then suggest that because of that long gone match one team should beat another in 2014 is a strange notion. Just as strange as saying a stadium can alter your form.

To where we have been, to where we are now. We are a big team compared to many of those around us. Still we have found ourself with the smaller teams. Being an ex premiership team gets you no walkovers. We are playing where we are because that is our current level.

skybluefred

Our team are professional Footballers--if they played on Radford rec they should still be
able to perform to their highest level. In fact the cabbage patch they play on now would
be hard pressed to compete with the rec.

letsallsingtogether

Ah the Rec remember it well used to play there in the 70's, shame I was shit at football but like most would have played for city for free

Our team are professional Footballers--if they played on Radford rec they should still be
able to perform to their highest level. In fact the cabbage patch they play on now would
be hard pressed to compete with the rec.

Three answers to this.

1 no
2 no
3 no

Paxman II

If you disregard any thoughts that playing away from the Ricoh may have actually had a positive effect on team performances then please tell me what happened when we did play there? We went from bad to worse in the Championship and then got relegated! :)

The Gentleman

If you disregard any thoughts that playing away from the Ricoh may have actually had a positive effect on team performances then please tell me what happened when we did play there? We went from bad to worse in the Championship and then got relegated! :)

Shit managers, shit owners, no real direction, no passion for the club, players happy to pick up wages all of which led to discontent from the stands, sums it up in a nutshell for me. However, the flip side to all this for me is what Pressley is doing now. Forget the wanky owners, the bullshit from their mouths and the constant mistakes. I would say that our team now, playing the way they are in front of big crowds at the Ricoh would not faze them at all. In fact, from what we hear from the players and the way they react to the immense away support, imagine that away support x4 at home and the noise that would make and how the players would feel from it. So in summary and answer to your opening question, no I don't think our form is a consequence of playing at Sixfields. I just hope that Pressley and the rest of the team get to prove it sometime soon.

Paxman II

OK so we had shit managers as you put it. We had 10 in 10 years. The Ricoh seemed to be a graveyard for the team and managers pre SISU and after SISU came in? Why?
At sixfields we have none of those pressures at all because no one cares. The result is we are concentrating on playing and improving because there's nowhere else but upward right? I'm not saying it could not have happened at the Ricoh but I think it would have been more difficult.
I think it's fair to say playing at Northampton as much as I detest it myself, has played a part in this season's form.

asb

That has more to do with owners not supporting fully the efforts of the team. If we don't get promoted this season will you be asking why Sixfields caused us not to be promoted?

Prove that it is Sixfields that has changed the form of the team and not one of the other factors that has changed since last season.

Astute

SISU arrived.

Try looking at it in a different way. Our away record is quite good this season as our away support is mainly very good. This gives the players a boost. At our 'home' games the players don't get the boost they should do because by the sound of it (or should I say lack of sound of it) our supporters are said to be quiet. If we were playing at the Ricoh our players would be getting us supporters behind them. It seems that the most vocal of us don't go to Northampton.

I have been to away games where there are only about 300 of us. Yet we have outsung the home fans. In some small grounds it can sound like there is a thousand or more of us all singing together. Sometimes you can see your players get the boost from us and start to play better.

IMHO I think we would have a better home record this season. Attacking play like we now do always gets us fans going......although not at Northampton it would seem :( I don't understand it myself. I feel as though there is something wrong if I don't have a sore throat the day after a game.

skybluelee

Our form at Shitfields has been poor for months. We have won 1 of our last 6 'home' league games. Stupid thread.

Users who are viewing this thread