Optimism (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Now that things are settling down what's everyone's thoughts and opinions going forward?

Have SISU largely done the right thing this last year or so? Appointing and backing MR's, resisting a sale or two of certain players. Is there less animosity towards them?
Do we accept they may still have a point to prove over the stadium sale and should see through the court case to an end provided this off field action does not impact the club?
Do we all believe we will will get a new longer term deal at the Ricoh and should not worry about that regardless what might happen in court?

Do you think with the likes of Jones to come back, keeping McNulty, Bayliss and strengthening early will be required and will they back the manager in that call?
Can we take the momentum we established onto a second immediate promotion? - Is there anyone we should fear in league 1? Will Sunderland still be a basket case?

For me SISU have earned a little bit of respect after a litany of hatred and abuse by our support and outside the club in general, largely deserved. Provided they back MR's further, loosen the purse strings at least enough for league 1 level and resist overtures for our best players then I think we will have another promotion campaign.

What say you?

Skyblueweeman

Have SISU largely done the right thing this last year or so? Off the pitch, hard to judge. Agreeing the academy extension was a step in the right direction. We've heard MUCH less from Timmy and they seem to be allowing MR to just get on with it. Oh, and we haven't seemed to be a selling club the past couple of transfer windows. Steps in the right direction I guess but they're nowhere near off the hook.
Is there less animosity towards them? I would say so. Less animosity but you just know it's simmering and festering waiting for Timmy to open his gob and p*ss us all off again.
Do we accept they may still have a point to prove over the stadium sale and should see through the court case to an end provided this off field action does not impact the club? It's interesting that Wasps situation might not be as rosy as they'd like. Until SISU have the stadium owned and locked into a 200 yr deal with clauses stating it cannot be resold and will always remain property of CCFC, then I don't think anyone would say they're doing the right thing by the stadium. The rent, in their defence, was ridiculous but they should've crossed that bridge when completing their due dilligence.
Do we all believe we will will get a new longer term deal at the Ricoh and should not worry about that regardless what might happen in court? I genuinley don't know if we'll get a longer term deal at the Ricoh and I'm not worried about it. Maybe it's me getting older or maybe it's that I don't go as often as others. I cannot personally affect what will go on in court and it's not going to stop me doing what I want to do in life, so why let things like that get to me?

Do you think with the likes of Jones to come back, keeping McNulty, Bayliss and strengthening early will be required and will they back the manager in that call? Early indications are positive. If we keep McNulty and Bayliss, Jones and Andreu to come back, a couple more new signings and better team bond than the past few years, I think we'll seriously be top 10 at least next season.
Can we take the momentum we established onto a second immediate promotion? I'd say doubtful but it's not entirely out of the question.
Is there anyone we should fear in league 1? No one.
Will Sunderland still be a basket case? Yes. Ha ha! W@&kers.

I wouldn't say they've earned respect...I think MR and Dave Boddy have probably given them some more lee-way with everything else. On the pitch, we're in a much better position...off the pitch, there's still too many question marks over our long term future to even consider giving them too much respect or letting them off the hook.

JulianDarbyFTW

In the long run, SISU might have done the right thing in making the club self-sustaining. Yes, they've cocked up a thousand things along the way, but as and when the financial bubble of football bursts, we'll be one of the few clubs that don't implode. I'm optimistic that things are changing for the better, but it's up to SISU to prove that the optimism isn't misplaced.

jonathan makin

Take your point but one swallow doesn't make a summer. SISU's ownership of CCFC has been directly responsible for:
1. Relegation from the Championship;
2. Missing out on "ownership" of the Ricoh;
3. Spending a season in exile in Northampton;
4. Relegation from League 1;
5. Average home attendances over a 10 year period falling by 50%;

At the end of everything SISU have never said: a: What their long term plan for CCFC is, (if they have one?) b: what they hope to achieve by owning CCFC;

Otis

Now that things are settling down what's everyone's thoughts and opinions going forward?

Have SISU largely done the right thing this last year or so? Appointing and backing MR's, resisting a sale or two of certain players. Is there less animosity towards them?
Do we accept they may still have a point to prove over the stadium sale and should see through the court case to an end provided this off field action does not impact the club?
Do we all believe we will will get a new longer term deal at the Ricoh and should not worry about that regardless what might happen in court?

Do you think with the likes of Jones to come back, keeping McNulty, Bayliss and strengthening early will be required and will they back the manager in that call?
Can we take the momentum we established onto a second immediate promotion? - Is there anyone we should fear in league 1? Will Sunderland still be a basket case?

For me SISU have earned a little bit of respect after a litany of hatred and abuse by our support and outside the club in general, largely deserved. Provided they back MR's further, loosen the purse strings at least enough for league 1 level and resist overtures for our best players then I think we will have another promotion campaign.

What say you?
Me says second successive season of promotion campaign.

Otis

and then you hope we are never successful again in the league

what a fan
Yeah, cos that's exactly what I said.

giphy.gif

Reactions: vow

covcity4life

Yawn.

I could try and deliberately misquote everything you post, but of course I can never understand a word you are typing.

It's post season. Started just a little too early on the wumming front me thinks.
dont twist it as wumming. you said you hope cov never get to prem. so that means you only want 1 more promotion.

these are facts

Otis

dont twist it as wumming. you said you hope cov never get to prem. so that means you only want 1 more promotion.

these are facts
Yawn again.

I was talking in terms of the Premier League ringfencing, which they have talked of doing.

Otis

There was a different thread and post, but can't find it at the moment.

It was in relation to that.

Where did I say I never want us to get to the Premier?

vow

There was a different thread and post, but can't find it at the moment.

It was in relation to that.

Where did I say I never want us to get to the Premier?
Don't feed the WUM.

covcity4life

Haha you talk so much rubbish and then cry wum when pulled up on

NEXT TIME DO NOT SAY YOU DONT EVER WANNA MAKE IT TO PREM AND PREFER TO STAY IN CHAMPIONSHIP

Its that simple

Otis

Haha you talk so much rubbish and then cry wum when pulled up on

NEXT TIME DO NOT SAY YOU DONT EVER WANNA MAKE IT TO PREM AND PREFER TO STAY IN CHAMPIONSHIP

Its that simple
Where did I say ever?

Point me in the direction, cos I don't recall saying that.

Wummer!!

Otis

Got to be honest ,that's what I took from it. :$
Yeah, but ringfenced and the way the Premier is just dominated by a handful of teams at the mo.

Bloody thing needs a shake up.

Never say never, right.

BackRoomRummermill

Not sure what you mean about your thread , if you mean this club which has been starved of any kind of decent success for 30 years then I am fairly optimistic based on last season. I believe this club should be in the Prem , I am still one of the ones in my lifetime Cov have been in the top league for the majority of my life , a generation x baby , I reckon we will get back to Prem in two seasons. The bottom of our cycle has been reached and now it’s upwards and onwards .

Frank Sidebottom

I think the PR side of the club is far better run these days. The communications with the fans is a lot better. But after 2 relegations and Northampton there is still a lot of bitterness towards the owners. If they get us towards the championship top 6 in the next 3-5 years with a sound financial base and a fantastic academy with a long term Or part ownership in a Cv1-6 based stadium then all will be forgiven..... but I just don't trust them to not try and make a quick buck when the opportunity comes.

Otis

Not sure what you mean about your thread , if you mean this club which has been starved of any kind of decent success for 30 years then I am fairly optimistic based on last season. I believe this club should be in the Prem , I am still one of the ones in my lifetime Cov have been in the top league for the majority of my life , a generation x baby , I reckon we will get back to Prem in two seasons. The bottom of our cycle has been reached and now it’s upwards and onwards .
I'm more than fairly optimistic. I think we can make it all the way to the Premier.

Fingers crossed anyway.

BackRoomRummermill

I think the PR side of the club is far better run these days. The communications with the fans is a lot better. But after 2 relegations and Northampton there is still a lot of bitterness towards the owners. If they get us towards the championship top 6 in the next 3-5 years with a sound financial base and a fantastic academy with a long term Or part ownership in a Cv1-6 based stadium then all will be forgiven..... but I just don't trust them to not try and make a quick buck when the opportunity comes.

Maybe they have realised that the stock values of players increases when they get promoted , the team value I mean

Take your point but one swallow doesn't make a summer. SISU's ownership of CCFC has been directly responsible for:
1. Relegation from the Championship;
2. Missing out on "ownership" of the Ricoh;
3. Spending a season in exile in Northampton;
4. Relegation from League 1;
5. Average home attendances over a 10 year period falling by 50%;

At the end of everything SISU have never said: a: What their long term plan for CCFC is, (if they have one?) b: what they hope to achieve by owning CCFC;

They have done better things of late thats for sure but number two on your list will be eternally unforgivable IMO.

Complete shambles and clusterfu£k was that.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

What say you?
As far as Sisu is concerned, for next season anyway, the jury's out (sorry for the pun)

Let's just what and see who is still in the first team squad when the transfer window closes.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I cannot believe what I am reading on this post. SISU doing the right thing the only thing they have done right is stand back and let people who are professionals get on with their job . They might have seen the light from that respect , but where else have they changed the legal's that they are not going to win are against everyone who they need to work with (Council and Wasps) are still in place .They don't want to negotiate they are like little kids my way or nothing . The world they operate in is not mine or I hope the ethics of Coventry City fans . Even if Wasps lose the stadium SISU will never own it they would never pay the price .The non selling of players perhaps again it might just be the professionals being listened to selling early is not always the best plan . They have taken my team down 2 divisions and have taken them to Northampton for which I will NEVER NEVER forgive them . Optimism yes nothing to do with our beloved owners a great deal to do with staff and players at this club

Astute

Do I trust SISU? Not at all.

They came to us to make money. All they have done is lose money so far.

I keep hearing on here that they are now doing the right thing. So why is that? All they are doing is letting those who know how to run a football club get on with it.

So they still want their money back and to make a profit. That won't happen in Division four or Division three. But what has changed?

Has it anything to do with our academy? We continue to bring through good youngsters. If we were Championship level and didn't sell Maddison how much would he be worth to SISU? If we were Championship would we have sold Wilson for just a few million to another Championship side so he could fire them into the Prem?

Look at the numbers. 2 players sold. About 6 million gained. But now valued at about 40m. Much more than they have wasted at our club so far. Is this a reason for change of direction and keeping hold of the youngsters who don't ask to leave? If we are self sufficient what excuse do they have to sell? Why would they want us in the lower divisions when the money is higher up?

I have always said that I would forgive them if we end up better off than when they took over. Finally we are seeing an improvement. But I am not suddenly going to become a happy clapper on their behalf before we reach that stage. But since the improvement I have given them an easier time as there hasn't been much to have a go at.

clint van damme

I still worry about our long term future and still have no idea what their end game is.
There have been some improvements and Boddy as the public face is a vast improvement on Fisher but I'm still gutted they never sold to Hoffman even if only so I could amuse myself reading the new bunch of excuses from the stay aways.

Otis

I still worry about our long term future and still have no idea what their end game is.
There have been some improvements and Boddy as the public face is a vast improvement on Fisher but I'm still gutted they never sold to Hoffman even if only so I could amuse myself reading the new bunch of excuses from the stay aways.
Yup, we would all have enjoyed the tales of Hoffman.

Magwitch

Is there cause for optimism, yes, we have been promoted and we are playing and looking a decent side who I think if left alone after watching the teams that finished third and fourth the other week can seriously challenge the top end of division one. I don’t see where sisu can get credit for that. At the moment as far as I’m concerned they are interested in selling season tickets and why not, like last season we have signed three newbies early but no one had been sold yet so I’m waiting to see what happens should we sell players and IF any money generated is given over for player recruitment.
Yes things do look a lot more optimistic than a year ago but than optimism couldn’t have been much lower at that time.
As for sisu changing let’s see I’m not so sure yet, we have this court case and issue pending and attached to that the Ricoh and where do we play our home games the season after next, if Wasps dug their heels right in and say it won’t be here, what happens, where do we go. I still think that could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Last edited:

Otis

Is there cause for optimism, yes, we have been promoted and we are playing and looking a decent side who I think if left alone after watching the teams that finished third and fourth the other week can seriously challenge the top end of division one. I don’t see where sisu can get credit for that. At the moment as far as I’m concerned they are interested in selling season tickets, we have signed three newbies but no ones been sold yet so I’m waiting to see what happens should we sell players and IF any money generated is given over for player recruitment.
Yes things do look a lot more optimistic than a year ago but than optimism couldn’t have been much lower at that time.
As for sisu changing let’s see I’m not so sure yet, we have this court case and issue pending and attached to that the Ricoh and where do we play our home games the season after next, if Wasps dug their heels right in and say it won’t be here, what happens, where do we go. I still think that could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
As other have said, they have taken more of a back seat. We are getting fewer statements coming out and Tim Fisher has kept his lip buttoned too for the most part.

Behind the scenes, we have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread