Only one man to blame for this- Thorn (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

your deluded !!!
we had hundreds of posts saying that we
had a team that was automatic or play off material and better than last year. All we needed was a better manager. Memory failing you ?

No, you said we had people calling them world beaters. Answer the question, do you honestly think that individually these players aren't even League 1 quality?

Sick Boy

The idea that the best manager in the history of English football could do no better than a total novice...come on :facepalm:

It always makes me laugh!

How is Brighton these days? Lived down that way for quite a few years until earlier this year...quite a few City fans about down there.

RichieGunns

No, you said we had people calling them world beaters. Answer the question, do you honestly think that individually these players aren't even League 1 quality?

I know im jumping in here but:

Individually these players cannot win this league. Some will never make the standard of the Championship, some are League 1 players trying to go it alone.

Some have been there and done that but are now near the end of their careers. They;re just trying to put one foot in front of the other and coventry happens to be where they've found themselves.

Some can win this league. They have the skill, they have the drive but its the attitudes of other players that are dragging them down.

But can these players as a Team, play league 1/championship quality football and beat any who come before them?

Yes, i believe they can but they are lacking belief, passion, the need to succeed. Something has got these players fearing every stray pass, fearing every run into the box, fearing every cross they make, fearing every goal that hits the back of their net. They are running scared because something is wrong in that dressing room.

What it is, i can't say because i don't know but i just hope its sorted out sooner rather than later!

Brighton Sky Blue

It always makes me laugh!

How is Brighton these days? Lived down that way for quite a few years until earlier this year...quite a few City fans about down there.

An amazing place to live (though expensive) and home to some of the best football fans I've come across. A club that was run even worse than the City and is at last being rewarded-it's their turnaround that still keeps me clinging onto hope that we'll do the same!

Brighton Sky Blue

I know im jumping in here but:

Individually these players cannot win this league. Some will never make the standard of the Championship, some are League 1 players trying to go it alone.

Some have been there and done that but are now near the end of their careers. They;re just trying to put one foot in front of the other and coventry happens to be where they've found themselves.

Some can win this league. They have the skill, they have the drive but its the attitudes of other players that are dragging them down.

But can these players as a Team, play league 1/championship quality football and beat any who come before them?

Yes, i believe they can but they are lacking belief, passion, the need to succeed. Something has got these players fearing every stray pass, fearing every run into the box, fearing every cross they make, fearing every goal that hits the back of their net. They are running scared because something is wrong in that dressing room.

What it is, i can't say because i don't know but i just hope its sorted out sooner rather than later!

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. My comment's more aimed at SBJ who seems certain that this group of players couldn't be turned around by even the best manager in the country.

Maaaaaardy

This is the most retarded thing i've ever read. How on earth anyone can come up with that for an excuse obviously needs a reality check i'm sorry.

RichieGunns

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. My comment's more aimed at SBJ who seems certain that this group of players couldn't be turned around by even the best manager in the country.

Well i for one believe someone like Arsene Venger or Fergy could turn this team around.

Those men demand respect. They demand hard fought, attacking football every week. They demand it on the training pitch and on every match day. No day is different! When you play for them your not just playing for the fans, your playing for the manager too!

They demand this because they have earned it.

I have not seen a manager at this club for a very long time who had earned the right to demand the players respect and loyalty.

That is why it is very important that we find someone who has earned the right or can earn the right when he takes up the position...

So yes, i disagree with that other fans statement and agree with you, big managers like them could change our fate, jsut a shame none of them will come near us with a 1000 foot bargepole :(

Maaaaaardy

What complete twaddle.

This man is correct. Fergie could do a top job. Truth is we don't have an AWFUL side, just because they have no togetherness doesn't mean automatically they're a good side.

When Arsenal got beat 8-2 at United, were they a crap team? When they had an awful start to the season were they awful? No.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well i for one believe someone like Arsene Venger or Fergy could turn this team around.

Those men demand respect. They demand hard fought, attacking football every week. They demand it on the training pitch and on every match day. No day is different! When you play for them your not just playing for the fans, your playing for the manager too!

They demand this because they have earned it.

I have not seen a manager at this club for a very long time who had earned the right to demand the players respect and loyalty.

That is why it is very important that we find someone who has earned the right or can earn the right when he takes up the position...

So yes, i disagree with that other fans statement and agree with you, big managers like them could change our fate, jsut a shame none of them will come near us with a 1000 foot bargepole :(

Essentially the club's in a total mess at the moment and a hell of a lot rests upon Fisher, Waggott, and fatty Clarke to get this appointment right. Relegation to the 4th tier is incomprehensible and at this stage I'm not contemplating it-*yet*...

Sick Boy

An amazing place to live (though expensive) and home to some of the best football fans I've come across. A club that was run even worse than the City and is at last being rewarded-it's their turnaround that still keeps me clinging onto hope that we'll do the same!

It is indeed, probably the best place to live in the UK. I was always impressed by how loyal the locals were to the club, you always see a lot of Brighton shirts being worn rather than the bigger clubs. Very knowledgeable and genuine supporters.

Some very nice little boozers there as well, The Fiddler's Elbow on Boyce Street is a great little pub.

Brighton Sky Blue

It is indeed, probably the best place to live in the UK. I was always impressed by how loyal the locals were to the club, you always see a lot of Brighton shirts being worn rather than the bigger clubs. Very knowledgeable and genuine supporters.

Some very nice little boozers there as well, The Fiddler's Elbow on Boyce Street is a great little pub.

Lots of the businesses and shops have 'Albion' or 'Seagulls' in the name, and people come from all over the county to watch them (helps when there's not much competition, granted). When you go through Brighton, you can tell the football team takes pride of place for most of them and people have a real affinity for it. When you go through Coventry, you'd have no idea a football club exists.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Jason Roberts just said on sky sports the players enjoy coming into training everyday, must mean they have an easy ride in training
Brian McDermott just said he is very relaxed and doesn't shout alot, a clear lack of discipline there with his relaxed attitude to management

Diehard Si

They have the skill, they have the ability! They've shown this on several, all be it limited, occassions.

There is something very wrong within our club. Something that isn't being tackled, its just being swept under the carpit.

I hope, really i do, that this situation gets sorted soon because if i doesn't, we wont have a club anymore...

I think we need to move on. Harping on about Thorn this, Thorn that is not going to make our situation any better.

It's done, its happened, we can't change it, no ones got a time machine to go back and make sure it doesn't happen (though i know some would probably go a lot further back than Thorn, I'd go back to before Richardson and makes sure he never got his hands on our club).

We have to look to the future, however bad it may look right now we have to stop looking back!

Well said that man, couldn't have said it better myself ( well apart from spelling carpet correctly ;) )

Brighton Sky Blue

Jason Roberts just said on sky sports the players enjoy coming into training everyday, must mean they have an easy ride in training
Brian McDermott just said he is very relaxed and doesn't shout alot, a clear lack of discipline there with his relaxed attitude to management

Brian McDermott? I thought they all called him 'Macca' or 'Briany'?

sky blue john

To answer your question.
No they don't currently look like they can handle this division.
BsB do you honestly think they are capable of competing in this league ?
The world beaters comment was slightly exagerated. But you can't deny the amount of people on here thinking we were going to walk the league !!!

sky blue john

I quite agree that we should not be harping on about Thorn.
But if someone starts a thread saying he is fully responsible for the predicament we are in then they are talking out there arse !!!
Because the owners and players are at least equally responsible as Thorn.

Brighton Sky Blue

To answer your question.
No they don't currently look like they can handle this division.
BsB do you honestly think they are capable of competing in this league ?
The world beaters comment was slightly exagerated. But you can't deny the amount of people on here thinking we were going to walk the league !!!

Yes I do, but this is based on their individual talents-the right manager can get this team much further up the league. It should not be sat in the bottom fricking 4.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I quite agree that we should not be harping on about Thorn.
But if someone starts a thread saying he is fully responsible for the predicament we are in then they are talking out there arse !!!
Because the owners and players are at least equally responsible as Thorn.
I agree with this but you lose credibility when you make ridiculous comments about how Alex Ferguson couldn't do better with the squad

sky blue john

Ferguson i don't doubt could do better !!!
But we are only talking a few places better i don't think even he could make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Whoever comes in will need to be supported by our owners in the loan market.

Black6Osprey

A better manager would certainly get better results over a period of time but I am not convinced that these players are good enough to challenge in this league who ever the manager is. I have certainly not seen much evidence yet. Individually they may be of league one standard but would any of them be the best player in another top six league one team? It seems we have a lot of average league one players who aren't playing up to an average level. If this lot have got something better to show us then I don't think six league games in (I'm ignoring the Burton and Dagenham cup shambles) is too unrealistic for them to show us a glimpse of it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ferguson i don't doubt could do better !!!
But we are only talking a few places better i don't think even he could make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Whoever comes in will need to be supported by our owners in the loan market.

We've been positively frivolous in signing players compared to last season. If more players arrive they have to be an improvement on what we've got otherwise it's just a waste of money.

Nonleagueherewecome

We have to look to the future, however bad it may look right now we have to stop looking back!

"Where am I, Al?"

"It seems you've leapt into the body of Andy Thorn in January 2012, an English soccer manager doomed to take his team to relegation and be fired the following season".

(looks in mirror)

"Aaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!! OH BOY!"

Nonleagueherewecome

Well, there are the floral 'footballers' just by the ring road :facepalm:

Noticed them on the way up the last match, what's going on there, then?!? It struck me that there weren't any white faces.

lordsummerisle

The idea that the best manager in the history of English football could do no better than a total novice...come on :facepalm:

We need a new Godwins Law, instead of anybody when losing an argument referring to the other person as a Nazi or Hitler, they can use "Alex Ferguson couldn't have done better with that squad"

Call it Thorns' Law 1.

Thorns' Law 2 would be invoked by anybody who uses the phrase "No other manager would take the job"

Brighton Sky Blue

We need a new Godwins Law, instead of anybody when losing an argument referring to the other person as a Nazi or Hitler, they can use "Alex Ferguson couldn't have done better with that squad"

Call it Thorns' Law 1.

Thorns' Law 2 would be invoked by anybody who uses the phrase "No other manager would take the job"

I second this on the grounds it be called ThornY's Law.

Nonleagueherewecome

How about "nobody worth having would want the job?" Welcome to our present reality...

psgm1

Banned
Always blamed Sisu for appointing him myself.

Strangely most(not all), pro-Thorn people were the most virulent anti-Sisu too.

Totally agree. They did al they could (and indeed still are) to deflect blame from their hero.

Of course he is not solely to blame, but these morons try and make out he is totally blameless!

Paying clearly over the odds for 3rd rate rejects (how anyone can claim this pile of crap is a good team staggers me), he has left the most toxic legacy in the history of the club.

This team as it stands CANNOT compete even at League 1. The strikeforce between them didn't score 10 goals last season! And don't mention the midfield!

As for blaming fisher and maggot - Fine if you just count the sales, but they are NOT football people - so they rely on the manager for who they bring in.

So the current team IS the fault of Thorn!

Any manager who gives his team days off in a week long pre-season tour, just shows either a lack of unbderstanding what a pre-season should be, or highlights the idleness of the man and to a lesser extent the players.

He cancelled training because senior players couldn't be bothered, or because he was hungover.

Look at all the olympic/paralympic athletes - can you imagine them being too drunk to train? Can you imagine them not being bothered to turn up?

No wonder they cannot play 90 minutes. No wonder they are losing all their games now.

The new manager's first task is going to get them fit enough for 90 mins. History shows that a demoralised team needs a kick up the arse.

Thorn would never do this - this is why the players like him - he didn't make them earn their wages!

No more mr nice guy - when you use the carrot and stick approach to motivation, thorn relied on the carrot - we now need to start using the stick.

If the players don't like it - get rid. Bring in players that are prepared to work.

It is the only way we won't be in the relegation zone by xmas.

Anything less is missing a massive opportunity.

Nonleagueherewecome

So it's been proven as fact that he cancelled training 'cos he was hungover, has it? Hilarious.

mattylad

Is it so hard to believe the players are just not up to it? Why do we keep searching for another reason. We seem to have more conspiracies than the X files. The players were playing shit before Thorn went. When half the team had their head in their hands at the end of the Stevenage game I don't expect they were all thinking, poor old Thorny. Fans seem to come out with more shit than SISU. All the crap about bonuses. They are amongst the highest paid players in the league and if one or two of the players who were here last season are unhappy then its only one or two not the whole team. We need to wake up and realise the loan market is our only chance to improve. It makes you realise what a couple of clowns both Thorn and Waggot are that they put together a team that is so slow, lacks width, can't communicate and with no leaders. A few weeks later and Waggot says its so apparent and is whats clearly needed. The pair obviously didn't do their homework when putting this group together.
can't name who but it comes from someone close to the club

Users who are viewing this thread