Omen (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

[/QUOTE]
that was my first season supporting Cov
first game was against Derby County April 1st 1967 (whos the fool !!!!)
Mine too, but I beat you by a few games.My first was in February at home to Carlisle. The last 54 years have been very difficult at times but I bet that you ,like me, wouldn't change the team you support.PUSB!

rhino1002

Mine too, but I beat you by a few games.My first was in February at home to Carlisle. The last 54 years have been very difficult at times but I bet that you ,like me, wouldn't change the team you support.PUSB!
[/QUOTE]
No your right i wouldn't change anything i m not even from Coventry or Warwickshire but have lived here since 1965 The sky blues are in my blood despite my great uncle having managed Villa

COV

The year Roy Hodgson first left Crystal Palace, England won the World Cup

The year Roy Hodgson second left Crystal Palace, England…..

Happy_Martian

Nah. My local cafe has a board in the window offering 2 bacon and sausage batches and a coffee for £1. Now THAT is a good sign 🤣

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
1967 - Bobby Gould (Coventry City FC) was top goal scorer with 24 goals. 2021 - Yan Bingtao won the Masters Snooker 10-8. Just sayin', like.

oscillatewildly

No your right i wouldn't change anything i m not even from Coventry or Warwickshire but have lived here since 1965 The sky blues are in my blood despite my great uncle having managed Villa
[/QUOTE]
Don't leave us hanging, Rhino. I'm guessing either Eric Houghton or Surely not Joe Mercer?

rhino1002

Don't leave us hanging, Rhino. I'm guessing either Eric Houghton or Surely not Joe Mercer?
[/QUOTE]
My great uncle was called Jimmy Hogan he managed Villa in 1938 (I Think it was) not to be confused with Jimmy Hagan who managed WBA you can read about him in a book called Prophet or traitor
He was credited for developing total foot ball long before the Dutch pinched the name and was behind the Hungarian team of 1953 which beat England 5-3 in 1953 hence the book title prophet or traitor
The foot ball World wanted him as England manager but the old farts at the FA thought he was too much of a maverick and chose Walter Winterbottom

oscillatewildly

My great uncle was called Jimmy Hogan he managed Villa in 1938 (I Think it was) not to be confused with Jimmy Hagan who managed WBA you can read about him in a book called Prophet or traitor
He was credited for developing total foot ball long before the Dutch pinched the name and was behind the Hungarian team of 1953 which beat England 5-3 in 1953 hence the book title prophet or traitor
The foot ball World wanted him as England manager but the old farts at the FA thought he was too much of a maverick and chose Walter Winterbottom
[/QUOTE]
Wow that's some connection. Don't wish to be the pedant here, rhino but Puskas et al beat us 6-3 in 1953, thus becoming the first overseas nation to inflict defeat upon England at Wembley. Pretty certain they stuck 7 past us in the return fixture in Budapest.
I remember years ago chatting to an old boy at work about the Wembley game and he told me the consensus amongst his (then) school friends the following day was that the Hungarian victory owed a lot to the fact that they wore fancy Italian football boots as opposed to us wearing 'hobnailed clogs' :ROFLMAO:

rhino1002

Wow that's some connection. Don't wish to be the pedant here, rhino but Puskas et al beat us 6-3 in 1953, thus becoming the first overseas nation to inflict defeat upon England at Wembley. Pretty certain they stuck 7 past us in the return fixture in Budapest.
I remember years ago chatting to an old boy at work about the Wembley game and he told me the consensus amongst his (then) school friends the following day was that the Hungarian victory owed a lot to the fact that they wore fancy Italian football boots as opposed to us wearing 'hobnailed clogs' :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]
Your right it was 6-3 uncle Jimmy was at the game but not in an official capacity the Hungarians where furious that he had been snubbed and held a dinner for him later
He was a grand old man and I loved going to see him at his flat in Burnley where he lived
I remember Jimmy hill Tommy Docherty and Ron greenwood all visiting him there
He took me to my First football match at Burnley in 1963 and despite that im still a sky blue
He was a lovely old man

no_loyalty

Cancel next season’s promotion party.

Users who are viewing this thread