Olympic protest to bring negative media attention to SISU (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I understand the frustrations. Personally I dont agree with this idea. But to practicalities

Got questions. All the media will be in and around the stadium ....... out of interest how many times do you think you will have to pass through security with a valid ticket to actually get to the Jimmy Hill Statue to make a protest that is seen ? Given that all non olympic signage/sponsorship etc is banned how are you going to get any non SISU banners etc any where near? How quickly do you think any such protest will be stamped on in one of the main areas around the stadium?

So the supporters of the idea do not like or support the Olympics (in general) - so that would mean you dont plan on getting tickets then ? - wont get close then will you. Or do you buy tickets to get arrested ?

This is not a saturday afternoon to go watch Coventry va Birmingham ........ this is the first events of a global event ........... the security we have at CCFC matches simply will not compare. The organisers will have zero tolerance and take every measure they can to prevent it - especially as the idea is now out there. No one will see it (the Olympic authorities are powerful enough to influence what gets reported) and frankly I doubt it will be in the press other than to create the wrong impression of Coventry the City

Final question - is it worth getting a criminal record to actually have very little effect on SISU ?

Sorry but this has simply not been thought through

Never have supported SISU but this idea has no merit to me

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Final thoughts - we cant even organise a proper regular protest at our own games how the hell are we expecting a protest at a closely guarded ticketed global event that has nothing to do with SISU or CCFC where nearly all attending (including the media) dont give a damn about SISU or the poorly supported, under achieving, financially strapped, failing little club that is CCFC.

If protesting was so effective and critical then we/you would be doing more of it - any body see much evidence of it ? No nor me

Last edited:

Godiva

Not totally surprised to read about the negative responses to my idea, but am rather bemused by the enthusiasm for the Olympics - also, why would Cov fans put the Olympics before joining SISU-out protests?

The olympics is a one-time-in-your-life-only event, it's much bigger than any anger a few hundred ccfc fans may have against some annonymous club owners.

I agree the main two drawbacks to be considered are:
1) negative publicity for the fans rather than SISU
2) the ability to get sufficient numbers of fans involved to make it a media story

Who are you agreeing with that those are the two main drawbacks???
What many posters on this board is crying for is PROOF that somebody will pick up the bills if sisu are forced to leave. It's not pocket money and it's anything but a trivial matter. If nobody immidiately steps in and starts paying wages for players, staff and other club employees, pay rent, electricity, interests on any external mortages (and perhaps the sisu loans) ... all the expenditures that amounts to a few million quid per month.
If those bills are not paid - then we'll have no club to support.

I hear a lot about Hoffman - but I haven't seen any proof of any credible and firm offer. Have you? Or are you simply convinced that tweets from Keys represents the ultimate truth?

If it was a clearly anti-SISU protest that it would be nightmare publicity for them, provided that there was no actual disruption to spectators. I have never attended a demo or rally in my life but I am starting to think that direct action is needed to ramp up the pressure on SISU, which seems to have gone a bit limp right now.

I don't get how this could be a 'nightmare' for sisu.
First of all - if you hold it at the stadium, then 99% of the reporters will be sports journalists from around the globe. Do you actually think they would offer any attention to a handful of people waving a banner with a message that means absolutely nothing to them or their readers?

And yes, the protest seem to have gone a bit limp right now.
Give that a thought or two.
Why do you think the protest is cooling down?

Last edited:
Not totally surprised to read about the negative responses to my idea, but am rather bemused by the enthusiasm for the Olympics - also, why would Cov fans put the Olympics before joining SISU-out protests?

I agree the main two drawbacks to be considered are:
1) negative publicity for the fans rather than SISU
2) the ability to get sufficient numbers of fans involved to make it a media story

If both of these can be overcome, I'd support the protest. However, I doubt that number 2 in particular can be done, given the posts on here.

If it was a clearly anti-SISU protest that it would be nightmare publicity for them, provided that there was no actual disruption to spectators. I have never attended a demo or rally in my life but I am starting to think that direct action is needed to ramp up the pressure on SISU, which seems to have gone a bit limp right now.

Also I'm not sure how I am a "bigot" as one poster mentioned. All I said is that I have no time for the Olympics, the IOC and its various sub committees is second only to FIFA as a money-grabbing corporation run by lawyers masquerading as a charity while enjoying Switzerland's tax-free status at the same time as preaching the "ideals of the Olympic movement". Wanton hypocrisy. I'd be in favour of the games if they were just athletic events etc, instead it seems that most of the preparation and media coverage is based on the enormous "preparation" activities like road closures, air space closures, banning non-Olympic sponsor brands (like Ricoh) and so on.

Your 1st post angered me. Now you are boring me. Go away. No-one is interested in 10 or so protestors trying to make a point no-one is remotely interested in.

I can guarantee that if you spoil or attempt to spoil the Olympic events at the Ricoh, you will blight to good name of CCFC around the world. The reports will not highlight your disenchantment with SISU. The reports will portray you as the selfish, mindless morons you are and it will reflect on CCFC, the fans and the city. You might just be surprised by the backlash.

Well said CJ. The Olympics shouldn't even include football and all of the other various non track & field events it adds every year. This would he SISU's worst nightmare, however I feel that the damage it would do to the football club's image both locally and nationally simply isn't worth the risk.

Non-football supporters view it as a game for scum bags as it is.

Maybe SISU out banners hanging from bridges on all routes to the game or something...

Well done for reacting well to the childish insults chucked at you on this thread.

I think the best protest is to refuse to buy season tickets until they're gone. Assuming they'll go this summer, any season ticket money we hand over now will leave the club with them.

Best thing you have posted so far. I agree. Go ahead with your protest. Do not renew your season ticket. Do not attend the games. Leave us in peace to watch the football and enjoy the matchday.:wave:

ICHAN

I must say I like the childish insult bit being thrown at cj as posted by rich, here's someone who calls Cov fans pathetic, idiots, not true fans and all sorts of names.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

If you don't support an abortive attempt to disrupt a game that will barely be registered in public interest you must love SISU. Fact.

Covstu

i totally understand the idea to be fair and i co-ordinated correctly could hit the media however i totally disagree with it all. It would make Coventry look awful, certainly wipe us out for any future events (maybe even concerts etc) and paint a poor picture of city supporters.
I see there are similar threats by public sector workers to disrupt the olympics, this is obviously different scenario however i totally disagree with that also! We have a great chance to showcase a fantsastic event and there are going to be idiots that spoil it! No wonder we get a bad rep throughout the world!

Users who are viewing this thread