Olympic protest to bring negative media attention to SISU (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Appreciate that this may be unpopular with some, but I'd support a fans' protest that causes serious disruption to the Olympics when it comes to Coventry.

I believe the first events of the whole thing will be at the Ricoh (sorry, City of Cov stadium), so all eyes will be on this city. What better way to cause a real fuss outside the ground and make sure that nobody could ignore the issue that is killing our club.

Something like the Southampton protest but which will require a fair bit of stewarding / resource to contain, and therefore attract the attention of media.

I don't advocate anything illegal, violent, or that will disrupt the enjoyment of anyone who wants to go to the event - just that we use a golden opportunity to highlight the need to get SISU out. The threat alone could be enough to scare them into signing the club over to Hoffman.

I'm not against anyone enjoying the Olympics but personally I have no interest in the event, in fact I am going to attempt to avoid watching even a single second's worth of coverage before, during and after the event. My priority is the survival of this club, and if that means causing a bit of a scene at some half-baked mid-summer event, then so be it.

Appreciate that this may be unpopular with some, but I'd support a fans' protest that causes serious disruption to the Olympics when it comes to Coventry.

I believe the first events of the whole thing will be at the Ricoh (sorry, City of Cov stadium), so all eyes will be on this city. What better way to cause a real fuss outside the ground and make sure that nobody could ignore the issue that is killing our club.

Something like the Southampton protest but which will require a fair bit of stewarding / resource to contain, and therefore attract the attention of media.

I don't advocate anything illegal, violent, or that will disrupt the enjoyment of anyone who wants to go to the event - just that we use a golden opportunity to highlight the need to get SISU out. The threat alone could be enough to scare them into signing the club over to Hoffman.

I'm not against anyone enjoying the Olympics but personally I have no interest in the event, in fact I am going to attempt to avoid watching even a single second's worth of coverage before, during and after the event. My priority is the survival of this club, and if that means causing a bit of a scene at some half-baked mid-summer event, then so be it.

Get a life. What you propose is utterly selfish. The Olympics is a one off occasion. The events at the Ricoh have nothing to do with SISU or Coventry City FC. Neither I or my son will probably see another Olympics in England during our lifetime and you want to hijack it and spoil it. I cannot tell you just how angry your post makes me.

Otis

We don't own the ground. Sisu don't own the ground.

Absolutely nothing to do with Sisu and they wouldn't give two hoots.

J

Jack Griffin

It is a grossly stupid idea, it will attract negative publicity for the City and the club.

Are you actually that stupid or a Birmingham or Leicester troll?

scroobiustom

General consensus, not the best idea...

standupforcity

That makes you a bigot...get off this site!!!!!

guicey15

The olympics is likely to never return to Britain again in our lifetime. The event is nothing to do with sisu and nothing to do with Coventry City, anyone wishing to disrupt this fantastic sporting event is, in my opinion, an absolute disgrace. I want sisu out as much as anyone, but they wont give a toss if a few people stand outside a building they dont own and protest during an event they have no involvement with.

It may attract media attention, but for all the wrong reasons. It will also give Coventry City FC a worldwide reputation of moronic fans, which just isn't true.

covlad1986

That's the worst idea i have heard not only that it's nothing to do with Sisu it would give Coventry it self a bad name not only that England too.

mark82

That makes you a bigot...get off this site!!!!!

Don't agree with the idea but not sure how he is a bigot. Sounds like it was suggested with the best interests of the club at heart, if maybe a little wide of the mark. Wish people would not throw wild accusations because they disagree with a comment & are sat safely behind a keyboard.

canleykid

All the attention would be about how coventry fans ruined this worldwide once in a lifetime occasion,no one will know who sisu are and probably wouldn't care,I know were desperate to get rid of sisu but something like this would play into there hands as people will just hate coventry for bringing embarrassment to our country.

ccfcdan

Was going to say that this is a bad idea. However ive since changed my mind. CJ me and you can protest together. We can get Sisu out and after that we can take over the world. Are you with me brother?

Changeyourface

I agree with this purely cause I can't fucking stand the olympics, count me in. There's three of us plus say ten stewards in case there's some aggro, should be enough. And if we don't achieve anything we'll just smash the fucking gaff up.

I'm undecided on the morals of the idea but you can't deny that it would gain media attention, if done properly; and we all have first have evidence of how much SISU hate their name being banded about in a negative manner.

As Mark says, CJ has the best interests of the club at heart. No need for the labels.

ajsccfc

If the plan is to disrupt an event that neither involves Cov or a facility owned by Cov or SISU, why wait until the Olympics come here? There are surely far more newsworthy events before then that can be gatecrashed than the preliminary matches of a tournament seen as an afterthought within the sport involved.

Godiva

I agree with all responses so far.

Let me add that the olympics is an international (like in 'global') event - does anybody actually think that the sisu-out protests could be upgraded to an international movement??? I can't wait to see the CNN reports :D

rob9872

Undermine them by being pro SISU and targetting the Olympics to sabotage. They will be hit with a massive fine and a slur on their name worldwide :)

Grendel

I agree with all responses so far.

Let me add that the olympics is an international (like in 'global') event - does anybody actually think that the sisu-out protests could be upgraded to an international movement??? I can't wait to see the CNN reports :D

They can't even be upgraded to a Warwickshire movement.

Nick

Administrator
Would just make the fans look like dicks and would embarrass the rest of the fans!

EleanorRigby

If you read the thread properly i don't think CJ is suggesting a sit down protest on the pitch or anything, but i don't see how for example standing next to the Jimmy Hill statue prior to a game with a couple of SISU out banners or that coffin is being a bigot or embarassing and you don't have to be a part of SOC to do that do you. There will almost certainly be other protests at the main games in London about alsorts of things there always are.

Regis87

Why don't we have a sit down protest in front of the tv and enjoy the Olympics . Sisu will be gone soon / by then anyway . If you want to protest the best place is in or around the Ricoh on Coventry City home matches .

ajsccfc

Do it at the FA Cup final. The sheer intrigue as to why Cov fans are there in the first place would get more attention than hanging round at an Olympic groups stage match that pretty much nobody will be watching.

rob9872

Do it at the FA Cup final. The sheer intrigue as to why Cov fans are there in the first place would get more attention than hanging round at an Olympic groups stage match that pretty much nobody will be watching.

And whilst you're there, don't forget to chant at them god awful Scousers about ruining our European tour if they're in the final. If we had made our mark on europe that season, who knows where we might be now.

CJparker

Not totally surprised to read about the negative responses to my idea, but am rather bemused by the enthusiasm for the Olympics - also, why would Cov fans put the Olympics before joining SISU-out protests?

I agree the main two drawbacks to be considered are:
1) negative publicity for the fans rather than SISU
2) the ability to get sufficient numbers of fans involved to make it a media story

If both of these can be overcome, I'd support the protest. However, I doubt that number 2 in particular can be done, given the posts on here.

If it was a clearly anti-SISU protest that it would be nightmare publicity for them, provided that there was no actual disruption to spectators. I have never attended a demo or rally in my life but I am starting to think that direct action is needed to ramp up the pressure on SISU, which seems to have gone a bit limp right now.

Also I'm not sure how I am a "bigot" as one poster mentioned. All I said is that I have no time for the Olympics, the IOC and its various sub committees is second only to FIFA as a money-grabbing corporation run by lawyers masquerading as a charity while enjoying Switzerland's tax-free status at the same time as preaching the "ideals of the Olympic movement". Wanton hypocrisy. I'd be in favour of the games if they were just athletic events etc, instead it seems that most of the preparation and media coverage is based on the enormous "preparation" activities like road closures, air space closures, banning non-Olympic sponsor brands (like Ricoh) and so on.

Macca

can't stand the Olympics either but can't help thinking that unless something decent that didn't make us look like a bunch of morons it would be embarrassing

@richh87

Well said CJ. The Olympics shouldn't even include football and all of the other various non track & field events it adds every year. This would he SISU's worst nightmare, however I feel that the damage it would do to the football club's image both locally and nationally simply isn't worth the risk.

Non-football supporters view it as a game for scum bags as it is.

Maybe SISU out banners hanging from bridges on all routes to the game or something...

Well done for reacting well to the childish insults chucked at you on this thread.

I think the best protest is to refuse to buy season tickets until they're gone. Assuming they'll go this summer, any season ticket money we hand over now will leave the club with them.

jabharty

I agree that something has to be done, so i'm gonna go with the minority on this one. This will cause a stir, and the olympics is one of the most watched events in the world. I think the city might get some negative publicity, yes, but it will deal a hammer blow for sisu.

To all you negative feedback-ers, think about it. If we don't do something drastic soon, we won't have a half decent club to support, we will be in league 2, and SISU will go on with their plans. Try and look at this on the side of the club, instead of the side of the city, or the Olympics.

Macca

as long as we don't play into SISUS hands by reinforcing the football fans are morons sterotype then its worth doing something intelligent to raise our issue

Users who are viewing this thread