O'Hare bids (2 Viewers)

Hobo

That's exactly how players talk to each other when one of them gets a big offer Hobo
Especially at our level where almost all of them will have to find another job when they finish playing
What would any of us do in their shoes?

Its about Kelly and McFadzean not O'Hare. As for O'Hare if he goes and increases his wages that is fair enough. It is a short career.

Deity

Its about Kelly and McFadzean not O'Hare. As for O'Hare if he goes and increases his wages that is fair enough. It is a short career.
I find this “short career” narrative quite strange

Most people don’t spend their entire working life doing one job. They get promoted, they change industries, they re-train etc etc

Footballers who are lucky with injuries and look after themselves can easily have a 20 yearplaying career now. It’s not unreasonable that during that time they might have to consider what they do after they finish playing.

The short career narrative made more sense when players did well to break into first teams until early 20’s and were considered past it at 31/32. That’s just not the modern way.

It’s a highly privileged 20 years with sufficient downtime to have a plan for life outside if actually playing.

NorthernWisdom

The short career narrative made more sense when players did well to break into first teams until early 20’s and were considered past it at 31/32. That’s just not the modern way
Eccles is early 20s of course, and by no means an essential first teamer.

If his injuries are over him he'll do... alright. If not, he's down to non league before he knows it - that's a short career.

And if the offer comes in and you know you're a Jodi Jones away from losing your profile, you go. As potentially that three year deal is the only chance you'll ever get.

Last edited:

robbiekeane

Most people don’t spend their entire working life doing one job. They get promoted, they change industries, they re-train etc etc
most people have transferable skills from there jobs they start out in whereas with football it’s pretty specific.

The point is you’ve got about 15 years on average to make your money unless you want to get a 9-5 afterwards. That’s if you don’t get a career ending injury.

I’d take tripling my wage and being set for life than staying with one club and then having to train as a financial advisor because deity on SBT says it’s possible

Greggs

No they don’t. He left Villa once his contract expired and joined us on a free.
Not what I've been told. A deal his agent sorted out apparently. Was something to do with Villa not triggering his extension and a deal sorted between the 2 clubs for a hefty % of any future sale. Between 30-35%

robbiethemole

Not what I've been told. A deal his agent sorted out apparently. Was something to to with Villa not triggering his extension and a deal sorted between the 2 clubs for a hefty % of any future sale. Between 30-35%

You are still a bad man and will definitely go to Hell. It’s bad enough reading some of the crap on here without you confusing things more hahaha

SkyBlueMatt

Not what I've been told. A deal his agent sorted out apparently. Was something to do with Villa not triggering his extension and a deal sorted between the 2 clubs for a hefty % of any future sale. Between 30-35%
I heard it was closer to 45% plus a 10% fee for any other player we sell over £5mil

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Hobo

Footballers who are lucky with injuries and look after themselves can easily have a 20 yearplaying career now. It’s not unreasonable that during that time they might have to consider what they do after they finish playing.

The short career narrative made more sense when players did well to break into first teams until early 20’s and were considered past it at 31/32. That’s just not the modern way.

It’s a highly privileged 20 years with sufficient downtime to have a plan for life outside if actually playing.

Of course there is life after a football career. But few offer the earning potential of a top flight footballer and that window of opportunity can be very small.

Greggs

I heard it was closer to 45% plus a 10% fee for any other player we sell over £5mil

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
It'll be his pesky agent getting involved again. I reckon we should have enough of the fee left to get a decent u23 loan player and to finish the pitches at ryton.

Bad Boy

Of course there is life after a football career. But few offer the earning potential of a top flight footballer and that window of opportunity can be very small.
Yes, but as I've said in another thread, it's highly unlikely that any footballer, even playing in lower leagues, goes from earning £ks or high £hundreds a week drops to National Minimum wage immediately their career ends and then scrimps and scrapes through the remainder of their working life.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Will be gutted to see him go, he's been a complete pro and a great player for us. Replacing his dynamism and energy will be almost impossible, but I am sure Robins knows that and will change the way we play. He'll get a good reception from me at either game, that said, I don't think our fans will show quite the same sympathy to him getting 'kicked about the park' when he's not wearing Sky Blue.

Brighton Sky Blue

Will be gutted to see him go, he's been a complete pro and a great player for us. Replacing his dynamism and energy will be almost impossible, but I am sure Robins knows that and will change the way we play. He'll get a good reception from me at either game, that said, I don't think our fans will show quite the same sympathy to him getting 'kicked about the park' when he's not wearing Sky Blue.

Knowing our luck he’ll score both of his annual allocation in one game

djr8369

Yep believer didn’t say an amount did he and just said none would be invested in fees. Is that right?
Basically, due to the last couple of seasons losses, which is understandable.
I guess if the fee is high enough some will be reinvested and even if it’s just the wages a portion of them could be used towards a fee to get a player on lower wages than COH is on.

I don’t get all the panic and tantrums tbh. We know SISU are not just going to pour millions into the club. We know some money is going to be pulled out of the club to pay their investors back. We are where we are. People should adjust expectations accordingly or prepare for years of frustration. We are not going to progress every season like the last few.

djr8369

Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Leicester, Brentford, Norwich, Fulham, Leeds, Forest, Wolves?
How many of those return money to the people who invested and how many are just money pits?

And how many other clubs in the championship and L1 have had millions poured into them and not gone up?

Offhegoes

So apart from various twitter rumours, nothing official yet. Certainly no bid had been accepted on Saturday afternoon as he wouldn't of played. So I take it Burnley still haven't met our valuation, or payment terms. So the rumours are that basically they expect Burnley to come back again.
He's not gone yet

shmmeee

A lot of our fans seem to think competent owners just pay money into clubs willy nilly as a "gamble" to the promise land. We've seen what happens to teams who do that.

So tired of this meme.

Expecting the best manager we’ve had to have the same level of support he has last two seasons and the wherewithal to replace those he has to sell isn’t asking for millions to be spunked, it’s asking for the club not to go backwards and to have a sustainable income stream at this level.

Not one single poster in on here saying we should drop £5m on a player, at most they’re saying we should use some of the profit from sales to bring in young players with potential because if we don’t we’ll quickly find ourselves with no one to sell and selling players is how our club breaks even.

Liquid Gold

How many of those return money to the people who invested and how many are just money pits?

And how many other clubs in the championship and L1 have had millions poured into them and not gone up?
If you want to make money then football ownership isn't for you.

I apologise for wanting owners that give a shit about the success of the club and not their own bank balance. I'll remember that isn't important in future.

Deity

most people have transferable skills from there jobs they start out in whereas with football it’s pretty specific.

The point is you’ve got about 15 years on average to make your money unless you want to get a 9-5 afterwards. That’s if you don’t get a career ending injury.

I’d take tripling my wage and being set for life than staying with one club and then having to train as a financial advisor because deity on SBT says it’s possible
So would I . But that wasn’t my point.

Users who are viewing this thread