Oh Lord - RIP John Sillett (1 Viewer)

Grendel

He just looks happy in all of the footage, and how I’m sure he’ll be remembered. Nicely done.

well he was infectious but also as people like Regis commented a shrewd manager who’d look tactically at how to beat opponents

it was an outrageous and stupid decision to get rid of him and not instead move him into a director of football / ambassador capacity (he’d also have been able to take back control after the car crash that was Terry Butcher)

In the early 80’s I’d go to pretty much every game and we were cannon fodder all the time. The early 80’s were miserable. It’s impossible to actually articulate to younger posters on here what he managed to do.

The best memories of supporting the club were when he was in charge. Nowadays managers are so bland and so plastic but he was fairly unique even then

It’s going to be a great minutes applause before the West Brom game and might even bring a tear to my eye

Grendel

Love his beaming smile walking onto the Wembley pitch alongside an arrogant looking David Pleat. Looked like him and Spurs were just going through the motions to me.

Before my time but well aware how much he meant to the club and my old man. Rest in peace, Snoz.

David Pleat was a really nice guy and had zero arrogance - we in reality were favourites as we were the better team that season

CCFCSteve

It’s been said many times already but a true legend of the club. Him and big George Curtis will always have a special place in mine and many other hearts. Sky blue through and through ! RIP

Brighton Sky Blue

well he was infectious but also as people like Regis commented a shrewd manager who’d look tactically at how to beat opponents

it was an outrageous and stupid decision to get rid of him and not instead move him into a director of football / ambassador capacity (he’d also have been able to take back control after the car crash that was Terry Butcher)

In the early 80’s I’d go to pretty much every game and we were cannon fodder all the time. The early 80’s were miserable. It’s impossible to actually articulate to younger posters on here what he managed to do.

The best memories of supporting the club were when he was in charge. Nowadays managers are so bland and so plastic but he was fairly unique even then

It’s going to be a great minutes applause before the West Brom game and might even bring a tear to my eye

Again just before my time but it always gets me seeing footage of someone just passed away enjoying his life and what he did. My old man and the whole family went in 87 and all say they felt a pride in the city they hadn't really had before or after. All used to be ST holders, now just me, but I'll invite some along on Saturday to give him a fitting send off.

NortonSkyBlue

David Pleat was a really nice guy and had zero arrogance - we in reality were favourites as we were the better team that season
Agreed about Pleat, he was not arrogant and was good friends with Sillett.
This is not a time to take issue but would just say that Spurs finished 3rd that season, had a 49 goal striker in Allen and reached the league cup semi final where they lost to winners Arsenal. Spurs were overwhelmingly favourites and our victory was all the sweeter by defeating a side with an all star cast of Ardiles, Hoddle, Waddle and Clemence.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Great tribute this morning from the every professional Jim White on Talksport . Ten minutes of real affection for John Sillett and interviews with Joe Elliot and Kevin Gallagher. Made me feel quite emotional .

Grendel

Agreed about Pleat, he was not arrogant and was good friends with Sillett.
This is not a time to take issue but would just say that Spurs finished 3rd that season, had a 49 goal striker in Allen and reached the league cup semi final where they lost to winners Arsenal. Spurs were overwhelmingly favourites and our victory was all the sweeter by defeating a side with an all star cast of Ardiles, Hoddle, Waddle and Clemence.

They finished third but our form tailed off with some draws towards the end of the season - there was no route to Europe and Tottenham were deflated

We in the cup were a rolling bandwagon with huge momentum and Houchen was a talisman

it wasn’t really a surprise when Wimbledon beat Liverpool the following season - I at the time thought we’d win the momentum was all with us

Calista

I'm very upset today, but at the same time smiling about the sheer joy that John Sillett gave to us.

I'm old enough to have a slight childhood memory of him playing for us at Highfield Road, when the Jimmy Hill revolution was just getting under way. No doubt playing for Jimmy taught him a lot about motivation and positivity, and he brought those things in spades to his own coaching career. I'm not sure whether his contribution in sheer footballing terms is always appreciated. He sent players onto the pitch not only with fearlessness and sky-high confidence, but also with complete clarity about the game plan. He moulded a brilliant team that was undoubtedly the best in our history, and the FA Cup win was richly deserved.

Words can't describe how much you did for the club, for Coventry, and for me and my family. RIP John, you were peerless.

BodicoteSkyBlue

Oh My God, what memories his name brings up. All through the 80’s was probably my favourite time for football, culminating at Wembley.
Thanks for all those memories up and down the land, with friends I still hold dear to this day.
God Bless you Snoz & all your family.
George & John’s SBA still rings in my ears.
😩 what a shit day 😥

Terry_dactyl

It has been genuinely upsetting to hear this today. A fantastic man and responsible for the greatest day in the club’s history, and one of the best days of my life as a 9 year old kid at Wembley. It was my first full season of going up the city regularly with my dad and my brother - little did I know back then how spoilt we were in football terms.

We went to every game of that cup run and those memories will stay with me forever. A true legend who always had city at heart. How he brought the club and the players together at that time is testament to the type of man he was.

He deserves a fitting permanent memorial. RIP Snoz and thanks for everything.
Almost identical to my experiences; my first full season, I was 9 too, but we couldn’t get tickets for the final but went to the semis. Fantastic occasion.
After watching the final on the telly my dad put his arm round me and said “it ain’t gonna be like this every year you know”.

Texting the old man today to share the news, he says he remembers seeing Sillet playing for Chelsea vs Pompey at fratton park. Chelsea won the league. Pompey finished 3rd.

Paxman II

I only just saw this news moments ago, and I just thought oh no. For some of us older one's he will be remembered fondly for all the right reasons. Great affection for this man all around from everyone connected with the Sky Blues and within football.
Just a great 'bloke' and he brought some great years to the club during his coaching, with that famous FA Cup win of course.
A legend in these parts and so sorry he has gone. But thank you John for all you did, and the contagious positivity you brought to the football club.
I hope we can give him something to smile about up there when we get promoted....

Thank you and rest in peace.

ovduk78

Wasn't there a plan to get Peake & Regis onto the coaching staff to take over from JS? Sacking JS was a shitty thing to do whilst he was sick at home & I think he found out from the media!?

Bugsy

slowpoke

Wasn't there a plan to get Peake & Regis onto the coaching staff to take over from JS? Sacking JS was a shitty thing to do whilst he was sick at home & I think he found out from the media!?
It was Silletts idea perhaps no coincidence Peake & Regis were amongst the first Butcher got rid of.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Pleat “John, you do know we have never lost at Wembley”
Snoz “Neither have we!”
Still true for competitive games.
Love that answer from Snoz! Typical of the great man!

blunted

The only time since 67 when I didn't have a season ticket was when Butcher was in charge. Opted to work Saturdays instead. Opted out of Northampton and Brum as well. Before 67 used to go to every match but feared I wouldn't get in after promotion. Covered End, West End, West End stand, Ricoh near but not in the naugty corner.

letsallsingtogether

Have to agree with all of that great times great football and NO1 manager will take a lot of beating.

Sky Blue Harry H

Glad it's a minutes applause, and not silence. I get frustrated with those, when every background noise grates on me, like nails down a blackboard. Also with4,5k opposition fans -although 99% will be fine - the p*ssed up/coked up few often spoil it.

Adge

The man gave us one of the best days of our lives. Looking back at him leading the team out at Wembley with his shoulders back and chest puffed out looking as pleased as punch brought a tear to my eye. Seeing him and George dancing around with the cup on the pitch will last in all our memories.
Big fat Johns Sky Blue Army.
RIP to a “real legend”

Users who are viewing this thread