Oh Lord - RIP John Sillett (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

No. Stop with the stupid minutes thing. Everyone forgets in the heat of the game. Do it before the match.

Could do it when they have the one minutes applause.

steve101

Very saddened to hear this news. An incredible character that galvanized a team to reach great heights. Will always be remembered as truly special in Coventry City history.

long way home

He was truly one of us, loved the club and gave all to he had. What he didn't probably know is what 87 did for those who were lucky enough to of been there. That time cemented many peoples love for the club, that has been passed down generations.

Him and George dancing on that Wembley pitch holding up the cup was a iconic picture. And brought us fondness around the country for the way we played and the normal side of two men enjoying a very special moment in both careers for all to see. Very sad will be missed but I hope that picture is made into a statue at the ground. Brilliant men, unforgettable day they brought us.

Last edited:

blunted

Bye bye Snoz, a sky blue legend. Statue for Snoz and George to complement Jimmy. The three greatest modern day managers at the City. Robins and Adi well on their way to getting theirs too. Perhaps demonstrates the importance of a good manager and back up team.

Paul Anthony

Very sad news. Unfortunately I was a couple of years too late to catch the FA Cup final, though I've seen it many times on DVD over the years, but there's no doubt Snoz was a true sky blue.

EalingSB

I was 13 in ’87 and didn’t go to the cup final (despite going to the majority of games that season) but the memories remain precious – both watching the game with my family around my grandparents’ place and then being in the city centre the following day when my dad gave me a bunk-up and we climbed on to the roof of Cov Kebab House to watch the parade.

I met John Sillett at a Christmas game a couple of years ago and he wasn’t in the best health but we had a great chat and a photo with our group which is even more precious now.

A great personal memory of Snoz, though, is of at a game at Filbert Street. I think he was living in Leicestershire at the time and Leicester brought him out as a half-time guest; big mistake. Snoz proceeded to spend the next ten minutes or so praising the City fans and saying this is the club I love etc. which was brilliant. I can’t remember the year or score but pretty sure we scored a late goal and won as I definitely cut my shin on a seat in front celebrating. RIP John, a true club legend.

blunted

Haven't read all the thread so don't know if this has been mentioned already but, we should all be singing Go for it city with the emphasis on led by George and John as a fitting tribute on Saturday.

duffer

I'd been a few times before, but it was that 86-87 season where I really started going to every game.

It was bloody magical that cup run; I can remember waiting for the draw every Monday lunchtime to see where we were going next. (Old Trafford, and we won!!).

What a team George & John built (with some help from Bobby Gould in all fairness). I could not wait for Saturdays to come around to watch them play. I'd be in the ground by 1:30, craning my neck in that blooming awful West End. Loved it.

My only regret is that I never got to say thanks in person for all the terrific times, though I know hundreds if not thousands will have done.

I'm gutted that George and John have both gone now. It might have been Jimmy Hill that got it all started, but it was George and John that really lit the fire for a lot of us here (and unfortunately for them, our kids too).

RIP 'Snoz', you will be missed.

Brighton Sky Blue

Haven't read all the thread so don't know if this has been mentioned already but, we should all be singing Go for it city with the emphasis on led by George and John as a fitting tribute on Saturday.

Yep mentioned that, don’t think we need to bother with a specified minute of the game.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Legend is used so much now but this guy coupled to George were my biggest hero's and true legends of this club, I started work in 1986 and my first full season watching as a 16 year old was just magical, the atmosphere built that year was something else, it lit the town up in an excitement not seen for a long time.
Sadly missed, but will never be forgotten, a Gent, Hero and Legend. I will find it hard to hold back the tears this Saturday.
PUSB

Bugsy

Great pieces on ITV cental news now, doing more later in the program aswell...PUSB

EalingSB

Very emotional bbc cwr special on now. :(
They're doing a really good job; Henry Winter on now. Dave Phillips was on before and said the '87 team still meet up every 8-10 weeks (most recently on Sunday) - that's just brilliant and highlights what a group they are.

I thought the CCFC tribute video with Abide with Me as the music was very well put together.

Edit: above video posted by @Brighton Sky Blue as I was typing; thanks.

RegTheDonk

Lovely bloke and a massive character for the City both on and off the field. Put us back on the map in the 80s when football was going through turmoil - believe the kids who won the youth cup were also most of his boys.

Lovely item on BBC Mids Today with Benno paying tribute and a shot of him, George and Cyril. A trio of legends who did so much for the City.

RIP Snoz and thanks for great memories.

Brighton Sky Blue

They're doing a really good job; Henry Winter on now. Dave Phillips was on before and said the '87 team still meet up every 8-10 weeks (most recently on Sunday) - that's just brilliant and highlights what a group they are.

I thought the CCFC tribute video with Abide with Me as the music was very well put together.

Edit: above video posted by @Brighton Sky Blue as I was typing; thanks.

He just looks happy in all of the footage, and how I’m sure he’ll be remembered. Nicely done.

Tommo1993

Love his beaming smile walking onto the Wembley pitch alongside an arrogant looking David Pleat. Looked like him and Spurs were just going through the motions to me.

Before my time but well aware how much he meant to the club and my old man. Rest in peace, Snoz.

Gynnsthetonic

Love his beaming smile walking onto the Wembley pitch alongside an arrogant looking David Pleat. Looked like him and Spurs were just going through the motions to me.

Before my time but well aware how much he meant to the club and my old man. Rest in peace, Snoz.
David Pleat did always speak highly of George and John to be fair, for years after the final!

Cov City Daytrader 87

Just a shame when we won the F.A cup, Snoz and Curtis didn't get the opportunity to see what they could do in Europe (via the European Cup Winners Cup competition). As English clubs were banned from taking part in European Cup competitions.

If there's a thing called: 'Coventry's City Hall of Fame', then Snoz should be inducted into it.

Hope you smile from above when you see us back in the Premier League.

Users who are viewing this thread