Oh Jeremy Corbyn (2 Viewers)

Ian1779

Well had the whip taken off him. You know what I mean.

Bold move. Will be interesting to see the fallout. New party anyone?
It needs to go to court and be settled once and for all. I don’t believe he is an antisemite - but now he has the opportunity to prove it.

I think the Labour Party have just accelerated an inevitable split that the Tories will be lapping up as everyone has switched their attention to this.

David O'Day

Well had the whip taken off him. You know what I mean.

Bold move. Will be interesting to see the fallout. New party anyone?

nah they haven't got the bottle to form a new party as in the end they'll want to stand in any future election as a Labour candidate. No one wants to end up like The Change UK crew.

Corbyn will end up back in the PLP after a suitable punishment period.

David O'Day

It needs to go to court and be settled once and for all. I don’t believe he is an antisemite - but now he has the opportunity to prove it.

I think the Labour Party have just accelerated an inevitable split that the Tories will be lapping up as everyone has switched their attention to this.

There will be no split as I said no one is going to risk losing their seat

shmmeee

Not that the media will bite cos Tories, but would be nice to shine a light on the fact that *our* investigation was carried out and action taken, whereas the islamophobia one Boris promised was quickly canned.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not really surprising.

You cannot really blame anyone for voting for other parties instead of Labour. They are a total shambles.

David O'Day

Nothing wrong with the statement he's made. The EHRC press release compared with the actual report content shows him to be spot on.

Fuck Labour. I didn't vote for the party because of Corbyn by any means, but there really is nothing worth voting for.

He said the AS problem was "dramatically overstated" and deserved to be suspended. If you think that is ok then maybe I was wrong about you.

Ian1779

And he's not been called an antisemite

He's been suspended from the PLP as he is still pretending that AS was not a problem under his watch.
Not by Labour or Starmer no, but the inference is being pedalled by the media.

The problem with this action is that it is inconsistent with how Starmer has responded to other AS issues since becoming leader. If you are going to be zero tolerance you have to be on everybody - but just the ones that you’ve cast aside previously.

I’m guessing from his statement earlier the issue is that he has stated he doesn’t agree with all the points in the report (but said he accepted the recommendations) and this has led to the suspension.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not really. Taking decisive action. I recognise after watching Boris in charge you might not know what it looks like.

I've said all along that choosing between each party is like choosing which testicle you want shooting off. I'm not really sure how anyone can claim the moral high ground. They are both absolutely awful and unfit to govern.

The last election I voted for the independent candidate to give him a morale boost.

fernandopartridge

And he's not been called an antisemite

He's been suspended from the PLP as he is still pretending that AS was not a problem under his watch.

Not sure that's true at all. Text in red is absolutely no denial that it existed, quite the opposite.

Text in blue is absolutely spot on. The EHRC press release when read against the actual report demonstrates the point perfectly. The way the media then report on the press release shows it again.

“Antisemitism is absolutely abhorrent, wrong and responsible for some of humanity’s greatest crimes. As Leader of the Labour Party I was always determined to eliminate all forms of racism and root out the cancer of antisemitism. I have campaigned in support of Jewish people and communities my entire life and I will continue to do so.
The EHRC’s report shows that when I became Labour leader in 2015, the Party’s processes for handling complaints were not fit for purpose. Reform was then stalled by an obstructive party bureaucracy. But from 2018, Jennie Formby and a new NEC that supported my leadership made substantial improvements, making it much easier and swifter to remove antisemites. My team acted to speed up, not hinder the process.
Anyone claiming there is no antisemitism in the Labour Party is wrong. Of course there is, as there is throughout society, and sometimes it is voiced by people who think of themselves as on the left.
“Jewish members of our party and the wider community were right to expect us to deal with it, and I regret that it took longer to deliver that change than it should.
“One antisemite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media. That combination hurt Jewish people and must never be repeated.
“My sincere hope is that relations with Jewish communities can be rebuilt and those fears overcome. While I do not accept all of its findings, I trust its recommendations will be swiftly implemented to help move on from this period.”

Ian1779

He said the AS problem was "dramatically overstated" and deserved to be suspended. If you think that is ok then maybe I was wrong about you.
Hang on - there are many ways to interpret that. The claim was that Labour was ‘institutionally antisemitic’ - that has not been borne out in the report. Their are 2 reports of unlawful actions - that again is not institutional. You can state these points without being in denial of having a problem.

torchomatic

Starmer had no choice after Corbyn's awful statement earlier this morning. He's learnt nothing.

Good riddance.

David O'Day

The problem with this action is that it is inconsistent with how Starmer has responded to other AS issues since becoming leader. If you are going to be zero tolerance you have to be on everybody - but just the ones that you’ve cast aside previously.

I’m guessing from his statement earlier the issue is that he has stated he doesn’t agree with all the points in the report (but said he accepted the recommendations) and this has led to the suspension.

The report doesn't call him an AS either

He has been suspend as he is peddling the it's overstated for political reasons bollocks.

Sorry but there were some horrible AS around the party and if he can't accept that then he can fuck off

David O'Day

Hang on - there are many ways to interpret that. The claim was that Labour was ‘institutionally antisemitic’ - that has not been borne out in the report. Their are 2 reports of unlawful actions - that again is not institutional. You can state these points without being in denial of having a problem.

Right, the reason he has been suspended is he said "AS has been dramatically overstated for political reasons".

That is all, he'll be allowed back but Labour can not be seen to be allowed people to come up with bile like that.

torchomatic

A big issue was Corbyn saying the problem was “dramatically overstated for political reasons” by opponents and the media. That's just wrong.

David O'Day

Not sure that's true at all. Text in red is absolutely no denial that it existed, quite the opposite.

Text in blue is absolutely spot on. The EHRC press release when read against the actual report demonstrates the point perfectly. The way the media then report on the press release shows it again.

the text in blue is vile and shows why he was never fit to lead the party

shmmeee

Nothing wrong with the statement he's made. The EHRC press release compared with the actual report content shows him to be spot on.

Fuck Labour. I didn't vote for the party because of Corbyn by any means, but there really is nothing worth voting for.

You can’t say this:

FC793E28-6ACC-4D55-9A20-08757DDE9064.jpeg

At the exact time your leader is saying “if you think it’s exaggerated by the media you’re the problem and need to leave” and expect nothing to happen.

Corbyns problem has always been he’s too thick for politics.

fernandopartridge

He has been suspend as he is peddling the it's overstated for political reasons bollocks.

Sorry but there were some horrible AS around the party and if he can't accept that then he can fuck off

Around the party? So not in it and not something that the party or Corbyn can legitimately be made accountable for. Imagine the Tories being held to the same standards?

Ian1779

Pretty sure his opening line did accept that there was AS in Labour that needs to be removed.

Let’s see where this goes next.

shmmeee

Around the party? So not in it and not something that the party or Corbyn can legitimately be made accountable for. Imagine the Tories being held to the same standards?

You can’t whatabout this. It was clear Starmer was going to have to go hard on AS when this report came out and to pop your head up and spout media conspiracy bollocks (itself soft antisemitism) at that exact sign is just bone headed.

Ian1779

You can’t say this:

View attachment 17356

At the exact time your leader is saying “if you think it’s exaggerated by the media you’re the problem and need to leave” and expect nothing to happen.

Corbyns problem has always been he’s too thick for politics.
I can see your point. If he felt like this then he should have been suing some people when this broke 2 years ago, because there are some people that have weaponised this.

fernandopartridge

You can’t whatabout this. It was clear Starmer was going to have to go hard on AS when this report came out and to pop your head up and spout media conspiracy bollocks (itself soft antisemitism) at that exact sign is just bone headed.

Oh fuck off. The media conspiracy is not about a 'jewish media' but a fucking right wing one determined to deliver yet more of the same sort of government we'd had for 40 years.

David O'Day

Sorry there was vile AS by members of the party and he did fuck all to try and rectify it and yes that is something he can legitimately be held accountable for as he was the leader.

So what if there tories are grubby as fuck and up to their knees in islamophobia? That can not be used to justify the piss poor response to AS with the Labour Party.

Ian1779

Sorry there was vile AS by members of the party and he did fuck all to try and rectify it and yes that is something he can legitimately be held accountable for as he was the leader.

So what if there tories are grubby as fuck and up to their knees in islamophobia? That can not be used to justify the piss poor response to AS with the Labour Party.
OK - so why in the report does it say that the process improved under Corbyn’s leadership?

That doesn’t make it better at all and levelling failure here is justified, but they were shambolic before 2015 and especially under the remit of Ian McNicol.

torchomatic

I can see your point. If he felt like this then he should have been suing some people when this broke 2 years ago, because there are some people that have weaponised this.

Weaponised? FFS.

fernandopartridge

Final post from me on this. The scale of the antisemitism problem under the control Labour party described in this report bears no relation to the headlines and media reports of the last few years. The report is just full of paragraphs inferring something but produces little more beyond that.

I take on board the points about Corbyn's response which I suppose is ill-judged in his position.

shmmeee

Pretty sure his opening line did accept that there was AS in Labour that needs to be removed.

Let’s see where this goes next.

“everything before ‘but’ is bullshit”

Sometimes in politics you have to take your medicine. If Corbyn understood thatq
Oh fuck off. The media conspiracy is not about a 'jewish media' but a fucking right wing one determined to deliver yet more of the same sort of government we'd had for 40 years.

I agree. But in politics you have to give your opponents as little ammo as possible. I don’t think RLB is antisemitic either but she also had to go.

That’s politics, the topic has become too toxic for the party to have a nuanced debate on it.

Users who are viewing this thread