Now vs Then (1 Viewer)

JulianDarbyFTW

I like Grimmer. He looks a good player at this level. But Sterling (on current form) looks better, and you have to play your best players as much as possible, subject to fitting in with the team. Now if it was a straight choice between fitting either Jones or Thomas into the team, I'd find that more difficult.

ccfchoi87

Are people not making the same mistake again with sterling? 10 games ago he was written off and in 10 games time he may not be playing as well as he is now. Grimmer is a good full back at this level and sterling is proving to be a very good full back as of late. I'm just happy we have both but I won't be picking one over the other just yet.

Irish Sky Blue

Why because people are saying another player is better than him? Maybe if sterling brushes up on his social media skills and starts 'banter' with fans then he will be considered a fans hero.
The only criteria that I use to judge a player is how he plays on the pitch. The only social media site I use is this one where, as far as II know, players don’t post. I wouldn’t know who posts what on Twitter etc unless it is put up on here. I didn’t agree with the comments on how bad a player Sterling was at the start of the season. At the moment he certainly deserves to hold on to his place. However, I also don’t necessarily agree that Grimmer is the lesser player of the two. When he got injured he was in a good vein of form and was playing very well. I am sure there will be a chance for him to get back in the team either through injury or loss of form. No need to write him off.

steve82

Personally I think too many are being dismissive of jack Grimmer to easily. Last season he was a reliable and capable full back who ended up playing in 53 games over a extended season and looked tired at times near the end naturally making a few errors in games.

Last season was also the most he’d ever played as a senior player clocking up twice the amount of minutes ever in a season before. That takes its toll which showed at times as he looked to need a rest but gave everything for the team which is a minimum you want to see.

This year he’s a young up and coming loan player in Sterling giving him competition for the spot instead of DKE which in all fairness wasn’t near the quality to push him for selection. Hopefully this season when he’s fully back up to speed Jack can develop more and come on better for it.

Personally I’m happy with cover at right back this year in both players but I still want more from Sterling in his game which is coming out more each game as his confidence increases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Last season if Grimmer got injured he'd have been rushed back and had to play his way into fitness. This year we have competition in the side so Grimmer got injured and now has time to regain fitness properly and will have to force his way into the team keeping Sterling on his toes. Really a win win for us.

stupot07

Frankly, with Biamou up front this season, we did look impotent in front of goal in the games he did start. I’m not conflating his appearances and our poor form, but Gillingham away was something of a minor turning point in our season.

Very harsh. He only started 2 league games this season, one of which he went off injured after 5 mins, and the other with Andreu who's looked well off the pace.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Very harsh. He only started 2 league games this season, one of which he went off injured after 5 mins, and the other with Andreu who's looked well off the pace.

Exactly, I don't think we have ever looked good with Andreu in that position regardless of his partner have we?

Mucca Mad Boys

It appears you’ve missed the point. The point wasn’t ‘it was all tits up when Biamou was playing,’ but rather that JCH’s introduction has changed our fortunes somewhat (among other players). Gillingham was his first start where he put in a dominant performance and we really should’ve won that game. That was our best performance up to that point in our season.

Nick

Administrator
It appears you’ve missed the point. The point wasn’t ‘it was all tits up when Biamou was playing,’ but rather that JCH’s introduction has changed our fortunes somewhat (among other players). Gillingham was his first start where he put in a dominant performance and we really should’ve won that game. That was our best performance up to that point in our season.

I'd say dropping Andreu has made a bigger change.

Malaka

Cant see JJ in the starting line up for a long time. I think we are better without him starting

steve82

I'd say dropping Andreu has made a bigger change.

The change in formation to a more familiar 442 is the key for me. Same as last year, both times things picked up when we dropped the 4231 system

fernandopartridge

The change in formation to a more familiar 442 is the key for me. Same as last year, both times things picked up when we dropped the 4231 system

I think a lot more is down to the team getting to a proper level of fitness and sharpness, less about formations. There are a few players whose performance level has improved greatly.

steve82

I think a lot more is down to the team getting to a proper level of fitness and sharpness, less about formations. There are a few players whose performance level has improved greatly.

Cannot disagree with the fitness and performance levels of some increasing for the better however don’t you think were creating more opportunities and look more solid and fluid at a side when playing a more traditional 442? Our front men now look less isolated than the front man we had in a 4231.

stupot07

More combination of dropping andreu, going 442, Bayliss in the middle, signing Chaplin, fitness And match sharpness. Doyle on the set pieces, than biamous getting injured. JCH is playing well though, but Still don't Think we're are particularly fluid or dangerous from open play.

fernandopartridge

Cannot disagree with the fitness and performance levels of some increasing for the better however don’t you think were creating more opportunities and look more solid and fluid at a side when playing a more traditional 442? Our front men now look less isolated than the front man we had in a 4231.

I didn't say it hadn't had an impact, more that I think the fitness levels etc have had a greater one.

Users who are viewing this thread